TV & Movie Clichés

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In Science Fiction films and TV, any space craft that have definite tops and bottoms are always the same way up when they confront each other (Star Trek is a particularly egregious example of this).

If they weren't, all their money would fall out their pockets.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Lens flare equals dehydration.
Dutch angles mean you were drugged.

that's genius. Never thought about it until you posted it.

Also, you need some stark, faintly unpleasant music to go with those desert scenes.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In Science Fiction films and TV, any space craft that have definite tops and bottoms are always the same way up when they confront each other (Star Trek is a particularly egregious example of this).

HBO's Avenue 5 ship satirises the which way up/gravity conundrum by having the space-cruise ship running artificial gravity, which can be turned on and off and even have its direction switched. This is so funny that we had to stop watching for a while to calm ourselves down.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A character has a heart attack or some kind of fit. They always, always say 'get my pills...my pills'. After taking a pill or two, they are immediately OK.
In real life, no pills would act so fast and (AFAIK) there are no pills that would stop a heart attack in progress. It's almost as if the pills are a placebo and the heart attack is completely imaginary.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A character has a heart attack or some kind of fit. They always, always say 'get my pills...my pills'. After taking a pill or two, they are immediately OK.
In real life, no pills would act so fast and (AFAIK) there are no pills that would stop a heart attack in progress. It's almost as if the pills are a placebo and the heart attack is completely imaginary.

And how many people knock the whole (wall-plugged) phone off the coffee table when reaching out for the receiver to call for help.

A surprising number.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
The way every person in a TV show or film who is a doctor is able to perform an emergency appendectomy even though their doctorate is in the use of the word “The” in Chaucer.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
During adrenaline filled car chases and accidents, air bags rarely, if ever deploy unless of course the vehicle receives the gentlest of bumps and off it goes for comedic effect.
Also...
In post apocalyptic and prehistoric based movies, women always have non hairy armpits.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In post apocalyptic and prehistoric based movies, women always have non hairy armpits.

They also have perfect make-up and hairdos. Back in the '50s/'60s this was really prominent.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
They also have perfect make-up and hairdos. Back in the '50s/'60s this was really prominent.
Are you trying to say this isn't historically accurate?
11704aeedc0b73250d777711d3e9fc4d.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
In post apocalyptic...movies, women always have non hairy armpits.

Also, they all adopt the same uniform: leather biker jackets, fingerless gloves, sprayed-on jeans and combat boots. lt’s as if:

a) The aliens invade/ the Bomb drops, and simultaneously;

b) Dorothy Perkins unveils their summer Tuff Gurlz look.

Apparently humanity will also run out of food, water, medicine and ammo long before our stocks of lip gloss and hair dye are exhausted.

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Most heart warming 'Eee, it's grim up north' films ever made (Billy Elliot, The Full Monty, most early Shane Meadows films, 60's kitchen sink dramas) .. even Cromer did one like this a few years ago called 'In Love With Alma Cogan' and that was shit as well .. 'Eeeee, it's grim in Cromer' ..

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Reaction score
When there has been a natural disaster or the apocalypse impends, and the population has fled, we see sheets of newspaper blowing down the empty streets. Now daily newspapers are dying off. There are probably members of the recent generation who have never held a newspaper in their hands. So how is this cliche going to evolve? My vote is for plastic shopping bags or Chinese restaurant menus

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
When there has been a natural disaster or the apocalypse impends, and the population has fled, we see sheets of newspaper blowing down the empty streets. Now daily newspapers are dying off. There are probably members of the recent generation who have never held a newspaper in their hands. So how is this cliche going to evolve? My vote is for plastic shopping bags or Chinese restaurant menus
At the moment I don’t think we need to worry. In the U.K. the largest circulation paper is The Metro at 1.4 million with The Sun next at 1.2 million so there’s still quite a lot of them about and some distribution is outdoors so papers will just be left where they were and allowed to blow away. So it will be a few years before we need a new cliche here!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

You need a brief glimpse of the headline on the front page to get the story background.
Something like The Metro "It's the End of the World" cont. on page 9

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Plastic bags are on their way out too.