TV & Movie Clichés

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Back in 1977 people could not get enough of the movie Close Encounters of the Third kind.

Everyone took note of the aliens’ landing site which is Google Earth W104’ 44’ 30’ N40’ 36’ 10’ which is not the Devil’s Tower Monument.

These coordinates go the the super modern, super strange new Denver Airport built in 1995.

The rumors are the government have a secret city underneath this Denver Airport.

I guess this is no way to prove.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Out of a group of astronauts effecting outside repairs to some broken part of their ship, one of them will end up dead.
Or the first person to die/become incapacitated is the captain.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
During a chase scene at some point they inevitably come across some sort of wire fence at the end of an alley which they expertly shimmy up over, then onto a roof which they then jump off and sprain their ankle then hobble, whilst looking over their shoulders.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
During a chase scene at some point they inevitably come across some sort of wire fence at the end of an alley which they expertly shimmy up over, then onto a roof which they then jump off and sprain their ankle then hobble, whilst looking over their shoulders.

The fence will often surround a yard containing a ferocious dog on a chain. The chain will be the correct length to stop the dog inches from our hero.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
If you're ever living in an action film, be very wary of any quiet old men who seem not to pay any attention to the chaos all around them: they are guaranteed to be a retired ninja/marine/general badass.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
If you're ever living in an action film, be very wary of any quiet old men who seem not to pay any attention to the chaos all around them: they are guaranteed to be a retired ninja/marine/general badass.
And they're usually doing something gentle and innocuous, such as tending Bonsai trees.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Since reading on'ere about the cliche of people waking from nightmares by sitting up in bed and gasping, and remarking that someone on TV did it right away, I've seen it more or less every day. The Netflix Hill House series has every character doing it!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Back in 1977 people could not get enough of the movie Close Encounters of the Third kind.

Everyone took note of the aliens’ landing site which is Google Earth W104’ 44’ 30’ N40’ 36’ 10’ which is not the Devil’s Tower Monument.

These coordinates go the the super modern, super strange new Denver Airport built in 1995...

I've seen this presented as fact before, and don't quite understand it, because however hard I try the coordinates 40°36'10.00"N, 104°44'30.00"W always bring me out at the turn off for a small, slightly shabby looking farm just north of Ault, Colorado.

Granted, it's definitely not where the Devil's Tower National Monument is - but it's also definitely not where Denver International Airport is either, being around 70 miles away.

What am I doing wrong?

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've seen this presented as fact before, and don't quite understand it, because however hard I try the coordinates 40°36'10.00"N, 104°44'30.00"W always bring me out at the turn off for a small, slightly shabby looking farm just north of Ault, Colorado.

Granted, it's definitely not where the Devil's Tower National Monument is - but it's also definitely not where Denver International Airport is either, being around 70 miles away.

What am I doing wrong?
Failing to sacrifice a chicken to the Great Space God Wuhan...

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
You're not adjusting for Daylight Saving Latitude.

Failing to sacrifice a chicken to the Great Space God Wuhan...

Nope, no good - when I adjust for the first one it lands you at a KFC in Neasden, and the second a Sea Cadet's hut in Wollongong. You'd never get a movie out of either.

When I try to do both at the same time, it ends up in my mum's fridge - but that's another matter.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Nope, no good - when I adjust for the first one it lands you at a KFC in Neasden, and the second a Sea Cadet's hut in Wollongong. You'd never get a movie out of either.

When I try to do both at the same time, it ends up in my mum's fridge - but that's another matter.
Funny you should say that, I have a script right here...

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
In modern American war films, from Vietnam onwards. Army Medics, ("Docs"), always wear spectacles to denote their sensitive and caring nature.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
If Character A is confiding something deeply personal to Character B (who has fallen asleep), Character B will not begin snoring or showing any other signs of sleeping until immediately after Character A has finished pouring out his/her heart.

(Normally this happens when Character A is finally opening up about how much he/she loves Character C).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
If Character A is confiding something deeply personal to Character B (who has fallen asleep), Character B will not begin snoring or showing any other signs of sleeping until immediately after Character A has finished pouring out his/her heart.

(Normally this happens when Character A is finally opening up about how much he/she loves Character C).
This goes back a long way. Can remember Robbie Coltrane's and Emma Thompson's characters acting out this scene in 1987.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Can't decide what to do? Let's flip a coin.

Switches to above shot looking down as the coin spins upwards towards camera, slowly. Usually accompanied with a whooshing sound.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
As some form of doom rapidly approaches, most people flee, but there is at least one person standing like a scared rabbit in the headlights. Then they are shown being vapourised/swept away/crushed, etc.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Before some heist/shootout/military action someone will say "It's showtime."

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire

I dunno, a sci-fi teleportation-themed flick with your mum's fridge as the hub? The baddies could be undercutting Deliveroo by hauling bargain buckets to the teens in Australia as a sideline to their main occupation of alien world domination. I'd pay to see it (just make sure she moves the mayonnaise out of the way of the photon transponder).

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
As some form of doom rapidly approaches, most people flee, but there is at least one person standing like a scared rabbit in the headlights. Then they are shown being vapourised/swept away/crushed, etc.
And some forgetful parent will leave their baby right in the path of the oncoming disaster only for our hero to rescue it at the last moment.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This might've come up before -

The
Fatal Attraction
scenario, where someone who's been injured (often after being stalked) manages to fight back and disable the attacker. Our hero or heroine sinks back and relaxes, but the attacker is only stunned and suddenly jumps them.

We were watching some Netflix twaddle tonight where a woman beat a man's head in with a large wooden knife block then tried to leave, but he was soon up and harassing her again with nary a scratch on him.

These days it's so normal for this to happen that you have to shout ''e's not dead! 'e's not dead! Look be'ind yer!' like kids at a panto.

Techy said 'Why doesn't she go back and finish him off?' and I replied 'Because women don't do that', meaning the cold blood killing thing.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
When running away, at least one person falls over. Always.

Bigphoot2

Reaction score
Bullet wounds to the shoulder are dismissed as minor injuries, especially if it's the hero's shoulder. Slap on a sticking plaster and he's as good as new. Not a cheep about damage to the subclavian artery, the brachial artery and the brachial plexus. Not to mention bone and bullet fragments tearing up muscle tissue etc.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Heroes doing active stuff can shin up drainpipes ok to enter buildings though windows in their attempt to allow a plot to unfold but when having to shin down a drainpipe in order to escape, it usually comes apart at the joint slowly screw by screw leaving the hero dangling from it as it sticks out at an impossible angle.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
James Bond. When you’re first introduced in a private audience with the Mr.Big you’ve been investgating in all those exotic locations, just stab him the head with a pen or something and get it over with. That is what the Licence To Kill is for. The Licence To Exchange Witty Pleasantries is for the lower pay grades. It‘s our taxpayer’s money you’re wasting here.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Cowboys. If you’re you’re galloping to somewhere, make sure you’re going from left to right on the screen. If you’re coming from somewhere, make sure it’s the other way round. This also applies to Poldark on the cliffs at Cornwall unless he’s shagging someone he shouldn’t be, where he can ride towards you.