TV & Movie Clichés

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that the plausible and entertaining plots have mostly been done and there is nothing new under the sun. One could go further and suggest that in the visual arts this is also the case, and everything ends up being derivative, as everything is anyway.. There are usually no big risks or avant-garde adventures in mainstream cinema, and it is all about the bottom line so those same stars keep popping up again and again in different costumes in different periods (think Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt), so that money can be made. You can catalogue neatly all of the sci-fi and horror plots --nothing new there, just endless variations remade with better special effects.
The main problem is all the small independant studios have been assimilated by the coroerate media who are risk averse, so they will only make films that they know are goung ro make money due to the 'star' or already have a fan base such as comic adaptations or remake/reboots, they just wont risk their share holders money on 'risky' projects, such as something non mainstream

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
If it's an action movie or TV show, it will begin in media res with a huge commotion and the characters in the middle of a frantic chase or fight. After a minute or two, the screen goes black and a caption says "Two days earlier", whereupon you have about an hour to find out what led up to the chase or fight.

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score
I know an avatar that would make a great brothel stall sign :rofl:

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
(Whispers) When hooking up for clandestine meetings with a contact who is driving a car, said contact will emphasise their finely honed covert credentials by FLASHING THEIR HEADLIGHTS!!!

This will happen even if you are meeting in the middle of the Mojave desert and there is not another vehicle for forty bloody miles. It also happens on empty roads, unused playing fields, abandoned airstrips, deserted car-parks etc. In fact, it happens anywhere you might pick to meet up with someone on the sly...before making your location visible to passing spaceships.

What's that you say? You're parked up in this completely empty underground car-park in a cherry red Ford Capri with gold striping, gold alloy wheels, flashing orange and heliotrope exterior LED light strips, and a dead deer strapped to the bonnet. I don't see you. Oh hey thanks for that - there you are - right in front of me all the time.

I tell you what, if I was the guy looking for that car, I would be straight out the door and looking for another buyer .

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Never really thought about Pompeii brothel murals being the Roman equivalent of Cosmo Magazine.

Mary Beard explains it all brilliantly on TV.

Upper class Roman women kept their bras on during sex. A painting of this happening might suggest a bit of class to brothel customers when the reality was a very sordid existence indeed for the poor brother women.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Mary Beard explains it all brilliantly on TV.

Upper class Roman women kept their bras on during sex. A painting of this happening might suggest a bit of class to brothel customers when the reality was a very sordid existence indeed for the poor brother women.
In Amsterdam in the red light district, the ladies of the night keep their bras on, maybe its a tradition or an old charter or something, to quote Robert Rankin. :p

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score

Young boi.jpeg

WOT?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An interesting retroactive cliché is the white wedding dress, in old settings. That whole fashion began with the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840.
Yet if you see a wedding in a movie set in ye olden times, the bride will probably wear a white dress. In Prince of Thieves for example. I'd suspect that a white dress in Robin Hood's time would not symbolise purity/innocence but rather that you can't afford coloured cloth.

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score
An interesting retroactive cliché is the white wedding dress, in old settings. That whole fashion began with the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840.
Yet if you see a wedding in a movie set in ye olden times, the bride will probably wear a white dress. In Prince of Thieves for example. I'd suspect that a white dress in Robin Hood's time would not symbolise purity/innocence but rather that you can't afford coloured cloth.
Medieval English wedding depictions:
http://www.essexvoicespast.com/wedding-wednesday-medieval-marriages/
White dresses:
https://www.google.com/books/editio...ing+dress+origins&pg=PA29&printsec=frontcover
1650 perhaps:
https://books.google.com/books?id=O...hUKEwj03Mbt08buAhXeGTQIHb6NA0AQ6AEwDHoECBAQAg

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
People dream in slow motion, often with a soft-focus filter.

Have you seen The Sopranos? There are awesome dream sequences.

Unusually, everything in them is crystal-clear. The dreams are messages from the characters' own consciences.

Here is an example. I love how Michael, the first character we see, seems to glide along instead of walking.

Michael has PTSD from committing his first murder on his Captain's orders. Every night he dreams of Emil, his Czech victim, whose name he mispronounces as 'Email'. The message from his subconscious is that the body is not well-enough concealed.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Have you seen The Sopranos? There are awesome dream sequences.

Unusually, everything in them is crystal-clear. The dreams are messages from the characters' own consciences.

Here is an example. I love how Michael, the first character we see, seems to glide along instead of walking.

Michael has PTSD from committing his first murder on his Captain's orders. Every night he dreams of Emil, his Czech victim, whose name he mispronounces as 'Email'. The message from his subconscious is that the body is not well-enough concealed.
I hate to admit it but I've never seen The Sopranos! I keep meaning to watch it as I know it's something I would like but never seem to get round to it.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
It used to bellydance!
Didn't we all. Back to Fátima's Fourth Secret - are they hands or a bra or hands acting as a bra ?
Or was all revealed explained in the animation ?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I've never seen The Sopranos! I keep meaning to watch it as I know it's something I would like but never seem to get round to it.

Go for it! The best TV ever. I rewatch more or less constantly. Nothing else comes close.

I didn't see its first run because of various life stuff going on.

What finally spurred me on was coming across a YouTube video where Tony, the Mafia Boss, sees the ghost of a murder victim in a mirror. The show has some Fortean weirdness like ghosts, NDEs, the Virgin Mary and so on.

When one Mafioso goes to a psychic (after apparently receiving a warning from Beyond) we discover that all the people he has murderered follow him everywhere like a macabre Conga. Bliss.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I’ve never seen it either. I was too busy watching other stuff.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A single wheel on fire as it emergs from a burning wreck?. (it has been used in the animation of Soul Music)

The original book, too. It's mentioned as one of those things that has to happen!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This may actually be a thing, but I've noticed in many movies and T.V shows that American women wear high heeled shoes around swimming pools, even when sunning themselves on poolside deck chairs.

Also, air conditioning ducts and passages make for a convenient & easy means of escape and access to almost any part of any building that you may find yourself in.