TV & Movie Clichés

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This may actually be a thing, but I've noticed in many movies and T.V shows that American women wear high heeled shoes around swimming pools, even when sunning themselves on poolside deck chairs.

Also, air conditioning ducts and passages make for a convenient & easy means of escape and access to almost any part of any building that you may find yourself in.
This is 2021, you can wear high heels around a swimming pool as well if you want these days LL.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Ventilation ducts used for escape/concealment/covert surveillance will never ever contain even the slightest hint of dust.

Anyone who has ever had to clean the filter on a bathroom extractor fan will know how implausible this is.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
The rules around characters in TV/ films using laptops appear to be;

1. Said laptops boot up immediately upon being opened with not even the tiniest pause for anything to load.

2. Said laptops will always be silver in colour and never need charged.

3. The trackpads are suspiciously responsive and accurate, compared to any I've ever used.

4. Upon finishing using the laptop, the user must pick it up and close it surprisingly forcefully, with no ill effects to the device.

5. Hacking the network of any government/ police/ hospital etc is an astonishingly quick process, which appears to consist of frantic typing with all of the user's fingers scurrying across the keyboard in a dizzying blur.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The rules around characters in TV/ films using laptops appear to be;

1. Said laptops boot up immediately upon being opened with not even the tiniest pause for anything to load.

2. Said laptops will always be silver in colour and never need charged.

3. The trackpads are suspiciously responsive and accurate, compared to any I've ever used.

4. Upon finishing using the laptop, the user must pick it up and close it surprisingly forcefully, with no ill effects to the device.

5. Hacking the network of any government/ police/ hospital etc is an astonishingly quick process, which appears to consist of frantic typing with all of the user's fingers scurrying across the keyboard in a dizzying blur.
To add to that...

Graphical visualisations and animated sequences that would take hours or days to create are brought forth in seconds.
Lots of frantic typing ensues when it's clear that the user interface uses a mouse or trackpad.
The user interface for the software or operating system is huge, has garish colours and is unrecognisable. Yet a child will come along and say 'I know this - it's Unix'.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Clickety clickety clickety click...we're in.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Very few people who drink in pubs on the telly ever actually get drunk. Sure, there will occasionally be a ne'er-do-well type who will get aggressive with a much- loved regular in the show, but no-one ever actually gets pissed the way a normal guy does*- I've never seen anyone in the Rovers Return doze off at the table, drop a pint to a large cheer from the rest of the pub, fart, start pointless and surprisingly vicious arguments with their closest friends, disappear for ages only to turn up sleeping on the toilet, or talk endless repetitive shite. (Actually, forget that last one, that's pretty much all they do.)

As a former drunk, I find it all most unconvincing.

That Newton and Ridley bitter must be as weak as a kitten, that's all I can say.

*- in the pubs I used to frequent, at least.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
James Bond always finds himself in a situation where his only means of escape/survival, just happens to be the latest gadget that Q gave him, which seems to be the only possible use of such a gadget, maybe Q is a 'precog' (cue twilight zone intro)

Last edited:

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
If you're driving through the countryside or a wooded area, we must always get a shot of you taken from about 50 feet above by a drone camera.
I know that they've very quickly become a cliché, since drones have made them cheaper and easier to achieve, but I still love a good top down landscape shot.

The first time I really took note - because the images were so beautiful, and so totally surreal - was in the Spanish movie Marshland / La isla mínima. Héctor Garrido's images - which inspired those in the movie - are taken from planes, as was the footage for the movie I think - but I find that even the already hackneyed drone footage can sometimes be quite stunning.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know that they've very quickly become a cliché, since drones have made them cheaper and easier to achieve, but I still love a good top down landscape shot.

The first time I really took note - because the images were so beautiful, and so totally surreal - was in the Spanish movie Marshland / La isla mínima. Héctor Garrido's images - which inspired those in the movie - are taken from planes, as was the footage for the movie I think - but I find that even the already hackneyed drone footage can sometimes be quite stunning.
Didnt they do top down shots of the E-type etc on the mountain roads in 'The Italian Job'?

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Didnt they do top down shots of the E-type etc on the mountain roads in 'The Italian Job'?
I don't recall that. The standout shot for me was the opening, low-down view from the Lamborghini Miura as it snaked up the twisty mountain pass, Matt Monro as the soundtrack. Then the music stops as the car enters the tunnel, and you can't help holding your breath until... crunch!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't recall that. The standout shot for me was the opening, low-down view from the Lamborghini Miura as it snaked up the twisty mountain pass, Matt Monro as the soundtrack. Then the music stops as the car enters the tunnel, and you can't help holding your breath until... crunch!
I might have imagined it, its been many years since i saw the film, i just had a vague recollection of seeing the cars snaking around the mountain road from above.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
When the main protagonist goes to a bar or diner, there is always a television on a high shelf.
Rather than the usual football or other sports that you'd expect to be showing at such establishments, the TV is showing a news report, absolutely critical to the plot of the movie - but at too low a volume, obliging our hero to say "Hey! Turn that up would you". The barman or waitress shrugs and complies.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A man or woman will be seen lying back in bed, covered with a sheet (usually the 'magic sheet' that covers women's chests but not men's) and looking very happy indeed because they are receiving the most fantastic oral sex from their obliging partner.

The partner then throws back the sheet and accepts praise, having miraculously managed not to suffocate.

This cliche is sent up brilliantly in The Sopranos.

SFW - (but you have to be a big girl or boy to watch. It's less than a minute and a half long and very funny.*)

*It's funny because
Tony is having an erotic dream about his therapist when she is the last woman on earth who'd be in bed with him. Apart from his mother of course, which is why he's seeing the therapist.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To add to that...

Graphical visualisations and animated sequences that would take hours or days to create are brought forth in seconds.
Lots of frantic typing ensues when it's clear that the user interface uses a mouse or trackpad.
The user interface for the software or operating system is huge, has garish colours and is unrecognisable. Yet a child will come along and say 'I know this - it's Unix'.
Furthermore...

There are no uncrackable username/password combinations.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
When the main protagonist goes to a bar or diner, there is always a television on a high shelf.
Rather than the usual football or other sports that you'd expect to be showing at such establishments, the TV is showing a news report, absolutely critical to the plot of the movie - but at too low a volume, obliging our hero to say "Hey! Turn that up would you". The barman or waitress shrugs and complies.
Try that in my local flat roof pub and you'd be crapping your teeth for the rest of the week.

TangletwigsDeux

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Even Mr Robot had me scratching my head many times and thinking "WTF You cant do that" although to be fair it did get a lot right. There again how much of it was actually real and not just Elliot going off on one?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
To add to that - as soon as the timely news report has finished, the TV is turned off. As if nobody wants to carry on watching it!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was watching an episode of 'fantom works' earlier, they were test driving an old car and whilst turning sharply a hub cap came off and rolled to the curb, it reminded me of the clichèd car chase (in older films) where there is alway a hub cap rolling down the street after a sharp turn.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
To add to that - as soon as the timely news report has finished, the TV is turned off. As if nobody wants to carry on watching it!
That happens whether they're at home, at a friends house or in a bar. It's just important that they watch that news broadcast.