TV & Movie Clichés

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a cliche but annoying as hell when US TV shows have the cast list at the start thus telling us we are going to have such and such as a guest in this episode, so that character that died apparently didn’t or the big reveal of the villain at the end is obviously going to be the special guest star they have just announced during the opening credits.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On Monk the killer was always the big guest star. Though often the how was more important than the who.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Not a cliche but annoying as hell when US TV shows have the cast list at the start thus telling us we are going to have such and such as a guest in this episode, so that character that died apparently didn’t or the big reveal of the villain at the end is obviously going to be the special guest star they have just announced during the opening credits.
MrsCarlos never spots those, so I send the whole episode going 'heeheehee' inside just waiting for her reaction.

DC Universe TV shows are the worst for this.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Very typical of Columbo.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Very typical of Columbo.
To be fair to Colombo, they also always showed the killer committing the crime early on. The entertainment came from watching Peter Falk and Patrick MacGoohan (other guest stars were also available) going toe-to-toe, the latter starting off patient and getting increasingly ratty as the show went on!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
To be fair to Colombo, they also always showed the killer committing the crime early on. The entertainment came from watching Peter Falk and Patrick MacGoohan (other guest stars were also available) going toe-to-toe, the latter starting off patient and getting increasingly ratty as the show went on!
The did do some interesting casting in Columbo - William Shatner as an egotistical actor, now that must have been a challenge :)

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
To be fair to Colombo, they also always showed the killer committing the crime early on...
One daft cliché that Columbo does stick to is of the unconventional policeman who drives his own car whilst at work. Not only that, but said car is usually old and totally unsuitable for police work.

See also Morse, Bergerac, Inspector Linley, Vera and Luther for some British examples of this.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
One daft cliché that Columbo does stick to is of the unconventional policeman who drives his own car whilst at work. Not only that, but said car is usually old and totally unsuitable for police work.

See also Morse, Bergerac, Inspector Linley, Vera and Luther for some British examples of this.
I dont know, Veras landrover is pretty practical for those bleak northern moors shes always on :p

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
To be fair to Colombo, they also always showed the killer committing the crime early on.
I don't think my Mother ever "got" Colombo - she'd work out who the killer was within the first 5 mins and then repeatedly surprised the prog carried on for another 45 mins.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
We’ve probably done this before but not many families in TV soaps have a telly on.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
We’ve probably done this before but not many families in TV soaps have a telly on.
Yeah I wondered about that - instead of going down the Pub every evening, I thought more people in soaps would stay in and watch EastEnders, Corrie, Neighbours etc like the normal folk they pretend to be.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah I wondered about that - instead of going down the Pub every evening, I thought more people in soaps would stay in and watch EastEnders, Corrie, Neighbours etc like the normal folk they pretend to be.
I seem to remember being told that nobody on Eastenders even mentioned the London bombings on 6/6 let alone 9/11

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Plus the Queen Vic, The Woolpack and The Rovers are the only pubs in the UK that are still open lol

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Reaction score
Then you drift into the territory of what's on TV when the the soap's own soap is on? What are there alternative soaps? And which soaps are in the same universe as each other (Brookside and Emmerdale were, since the plane crash in Emmerdale was referenced in a newspaper headline in Brookside). If the same actor appears as different characters in more than one soap it implies that the soaps exist in alternate universes, and the people are alternate universe versions of the same person. Then we get into where the soaps are physically located, Emmerdale obviously shares the same physical location, as the set in this universe. Coronation Street could fit into it's old site by the Granada Studios, or it's new site in Salford with relatively minor tweaks to the history and geography of Manchester and Salford, don't know about Eastenders, but the Archers, probably requires a fold in space-time somewhere in the West Midlands big enough the hold an extra county with two small to medium sized town (Borcester and Felpersham) and several villages including Ambridge.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Then you drift into the territory of what's on TV when the the soap's own soap is on? What are there alternative soaps? And which soaps are in the same universe as each other (Brookside and Emmerdale were, since the plane crash in Emmerdale was referenced in a newspaper headline in Brookside). If the same actor appears as different characters in more than one soap it implies that the soaps exist in alternate universes, and the people are alternate universe versions of the same person. Then we get into where the soaps are physically located, Emmerdale obviously shares the same physical location, as the set in this universe. Coronation Street could fit into it's old site by the Granada Studios, or it's new site in Salford with relatively minor tweaks to the history and geography of Manchester and Salford, don't know about Eastenders, but the Archers, probably requires a fold in space-time somewhere in the West Midlands big enough the hold an extra county with two small to medium sized town (Borcester and Felpersham) and several villages including Ambridge.
You've obviously given this some thought..

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
@GNC will know more about this than me, I'm sure - but I seem to recall reading that Columbo consciously utilised Hitchcockian principles, and Hitchcock hated whodunnits.

I'm pretty sure that in his extended interview with Truffaut, Hitchcock uses the example of a bomb on a train. Any idiot can make an audience jump out of their skins by suddenly blowing up a train with a bomb they didn't know was there - but that's basically the filmmaking equivalent of an unexpectedly burst party balloon. The secret to really building up true suspense is to let everyone know the bomb is there from the very beginning; you show them the bomb, and then you keep showing it to them - because knowledge builds a level of tension beyond anything that the odd jump scare can do. As far as Hitchcock was concerned, the same went for murderers.

Edit: I should add that I don't really mind a decent whodunnit myself - it's just that too often that dangling question mark seems to be used as a hook to drag us away from spending too much time noticing bad writing, stupidly implausible plotting and lazy direction. It's one of the reasons I absolutely hate Line of Duty; although I do seem to be utterly alone in that opinion - so maybe I'm just missing something.

Last edited: