• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

TV & Movie Clichés

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Horror-film heroes:
When you go look for your love-interest/hear or see something suspicious in a creepy-looking house, don't even try to see if the lights work. This completely negates the jump-scares carefully orchestrated by your director. If you discover the lights aren't working, just creep around in the dark instead of 'nope-ing' it out of there!
Police officer, should you be on your own and are approached by a hysterical, wounded and disheveled young woman, please don't embarrass the serial killer by either believing her story or even looking around the area where you are both standing. How can the killer possibly sneak up on you otherwise? (The Strangers 2) Also, should you find your throat cut please have the courtesy to wait to bleed out, rather than clutch your gaping wound and draw your firearm.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
How can the killer possibly sneak up on you otherwise? (The Strangers 2)
Yeah, Strangers 2 was a real disappointment. The high point was the noise the ax head made as it was dragged along the ground.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Though I wasn't too hot on the plot, The Strangers Prey at Night was one of the best-looking horrors of its year, so sleek and gleaming and beautifully photographed.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
But none of it made sense.
I've no problem with good photography or effects - vide the first Psycho. But does a gallon of fake blood and CGI take the place of psychological terror or intelligent appreciation of fear?
I am very not a fan of modern horror genre but I watch some YT movie critics who are ... and their deconstruction of these are to the point.
The directors/producers show utter contempt for the audience.
In the above-mentioned film, the surviving axe-maniac is trapped in an exploding car linked to another exploding car. Of course, the effects show a near-nuclear explosion. Any 'ordinary' bodies would be incinerated. The victim, sobbing, stumbles away.
Axe-maniac becomes immortal, kills a few more people, et cetera, et cetera.

In defrence to GNC's sensibilities, moving on ...

If the hero enters near-Earth orbit / close orbit then they must re-enter at the exact place on Earth they left it.
Let's keep things tidy.
(Example: the great Robotjox)

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
But none of it made sense.
I am very not a fan of modern horror genre but I watch some YT movie critics who are ... and their deconstruction of these are to the point.
The directors/producers show utter contempt for the audience.
In the above-mentioned film, the surviving axe-maniac is trapped in an exploding car linked to another exploding car. Of course, the effects show a near-nuclear explosion. Victim, sobbing, stumbles away.
I think you're watching the wrong film if you want realism. It's a fantasy of paranoia.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The best way to blow up a petrol station is to flick a lit cigarette onto the forecourt ground.

(Was it mythbusters who proved a lit cigarette doesn't contain enough heat to ignite petrol on the floor?)
It was mythbusters indeed, a lit zippo will do the trick though.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I think you're watching the wrong film if you want realism. It's a fantasy of paranoia.
Like anything in the creative media - a role-playing game, a film, a book - I expect internal logic. If a film (horror or otherwise) is based in real-life then I expect the rules of real-life to apply. Let's face it, there's enough horror that has actually happened to be filmed rather than making ghosts/aliens the solution.
You can't have it both ways: a horror fan wants blood, guts and gore: realism. But you want that blood, guts and gore to be caused by a phantom? You want a fiction to make realism?
As I said, I'm not a fan of horror and CGI means you can create a lot. But if you don't give your psychopathic serial killer a grounding in reality , then it's as scary as trying to be sad at seeing thousands of people die when the Death Star explodes. There is no emotional content for the viewer.
Anyhow ... ;)
No matter what Bruce Willis is wearing at the start of an action film, he will always end it wearing a vest.
It's in his contract. He's getting on now and many cinema-goers don't know who he is so he needs a 'brand' for viewers to recognise.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Like anything in the creative media - a role-playing game, a film, a book - I expect internal logic. If a film (horror or otherwise) is based in real-life then I expect the rules of real-life to apply. Let's face it, there's enough horror that has actually happened to be filmed rather than making ghosts/aliens the solution.
You can't have it both ways: a horror fan wants blood, guts and gore: realism. But you want that blood, guts and gore to be caused by a phantom? You want a fiction to make realism?
As I said, I'm not a fan of horror and CGI means you can create a lot. But if you don't give your psychopathic serial killer a grounding in reality , then it's as scary as trying to be sad at seeing thousands of people die when the Death Star explodes. There is no emotional content for the viewer.
Anyhow ... ;)

It's in his contract. He's getting on now and many cinema-goers don't know who he is so he needs a 'brand' for viewers to recognise.
Here's what I thought about it in 2018:

The Strangers: Prey at Night: A family arrives at a lakeside resort, no sign of the relatives who run it. People wearing masks and hoods appear. Aunt and uncle are found murdered. Could have been a good slasher film but it just seems formulaic, director was on autopilot and script not at all original.

Some great scenes (for horror fans), stabbings, a hatchet making scraping noises as it's scraped along the ground. Teenager being pursued by pickup truck which is on fire, teen being chased by axeman, underwater fight scenes in swimming pool, people being shredded with multiple shotgun blasts, cars being t-boned, trucks crashing into trailers. but it just doesn't build up tension or create a greater total of horror. Disappointing. 5/10.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
No matter what Bruce Willis is wearing at the start of an action film, he will always end it wearing a vest.
Only Bruce wears a vest under his shirt. Nobody else does.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was it petrol or diesel?
I know diesel definately will (extinguish a cig), its damn hard to light even with a naked flame, im pretty sure the did the experiment with petrol and the cigarette was extinguished, i think if the cigarette us thrown near the petrol and is sends a shower of sparks up, and it the petrol has vaporized then it could ingnite it.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
The best way to blow up a petrol station is to flick a lit cigarette onto the forecourt ground.
Anyone tried using a mobile phone ? Forecourt staff do get a tad paranoid on the tannoy.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Anyone tried using a mobile phone ? Forecourt staff do get a tad paranoid on the tannoy.
I don't carry one but probably .. I wonder if those are an urban myth as well re: garage/petrol danger?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
MythBusters Episode 2: Cell Phone Destruction

Premier Date: October 3, 2003

Using one’s cell phone while pumping gas/petrol can cause an explosion.

BUSTED:

A properly-working cell phone poses almost no danger of igniting gasoline, even when surrounded by gasoline vapor with the optimum fuel-air mix for ignition. The actual risk comes from an electrostatic discharge between a charged driver and the car, often a result of continually getting into and out of the vehicle.

(This myth was revisited in episode 14 and it was busted again.)

https://mythresults.com/episode2

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyhow ... ;)
It's a suspense movie, it's not supposed to make you cry. Although I was sad to see Christina Hendricks buy the farm. Did you really think it was realistic, though?

I don't know why I'm defending it, it was an all right horror, it's just I thought it looked great.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...i think if the cigarette us thrown near the petrol and is sends a shower of sparks up, and it the petrol has vaporized then it could ingnite it.
Volatile substances are by definition those which vaporise most readily. The mistake in most movies is the implication that the liquid is the most lethal element at play, when actually it is in many cases most likely the vapour - and that vapour becomes present very, very quickly.

In certain situations not uncommon to movies the fallacy is effectively almost a reverse of the one often suggested: It's not that the thrown cigarette would not ignite the pool of visible liquid on the ground, but that the act of attempting to light the fag in the first place would have ignited the invisible vapour created by the exposed fuel and burned the face off your hero/villain before he could even say 'ouch'.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Volatile substances are by definition those which vaporise most readily. The mistake in most movies is the implication that the liquid is the most lethal element at play, when actually it is in many cases most likely the vapour - and that vapour becomes present very, very quickly.

In certain situations not uncommon to movies the fallacy is effectively almost a reverse of the one often suggested: It's not that the thrown cigarette would not ignite the pool of visible liquid on the ground, but that the act of attempting to light the fag in the first place would have ignited the invisible vapour created by the exposed fuel and burned the face off your hero/villain before he could even say 'ouch'.
Indeed, i whole heartly agree, the major problem is that most if not all fuel dispensing areas are in well ventilated (outdoor) areas where vapour quickly disperses and doeant build up. But these are movie clichès after all, the need to suspend of belief is a major factor in most films.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
When sneaking around the empty house of the villain they always turn up unexpected.
While in darkness a mobile phone will ping and the villain ears prick up like a meerkat while the one playing hide and seek will have a look of shock while looking up to the ceiling..

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Cymbal-clapping monkey toys.
Always in a horror film. Always burst into action for no reason.
Who buys those things these days? They're really rare and expensive.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind but I can't remember any other times? ..