• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

TV & Movie Clichés

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
We've got a "retro" toy shop - second-hand stuff, mix of generations, some real memory-joggers and WTF inclusions - and he has one in the window.
I swear to the Gods, as I was walking to open my shop (two doors away) a family were standing and browsing and while the adults were chatting, one of their sons said "No, don't get the monkey! It'll wake up and kill us!"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We've got a "retro" toy shop - second-hand stuff, mix of generations, some real memory-joggers and WTF inclusions - and he has one in the window.
I swear to the Gods, as I was walking to open my shop (two doors away) a family were standing and browsing and while the adults were chatting, one of their sons said "No, don't get the monkey! It'll wake up and kill us!"
Very perceptive child.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Thing is, he's had some great stuff in.
But he never, ever, puts prices on items. I know that this is illegal and it's just an opportunity to "name a price", so I refuse to play the game.
I've been stung by that before.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
A price tag on anything is simply an invitation to tender an offer. If you and the shop keeper agree on a price and you hand over the money, then you enter into a contract. But until then the price tag has no legal status.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Thing is, he's had some great stuff in.
But he never, ever, puts prices on items. I know that this is illegal and it's just an opportunity to "name a price", so I refuse to play the game.
I've been stung by that before.
That's the kind of thing antique dealers do.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Yup.
You need to indicate a 'starting price' if you don't mind haggling. It gives the customer a guideline as to how much it will cost (not what it's worth).
Otherwise it's ...
"How much is this?"
"How much do you think it's worth?"
... which is not a sales contract.

12. Are we required to display prices?
Retailers must display product prices clearly, either on the label or nearby (for example, with a price indication on the shelf under the goods). Similarly, restaurants, hotels and similar businesses must show prices on a price list (for example, on their menus). There are exceptions for antiques, goods sold at auction and products provided as part of a service.
You may also be required to display unit prices if you sell products loose from bulk: for example, if you sell petrol from a pump or loose produce. You are also required to display a unit price for products which must be marked with the quantity: for example, most packaged foods.
More generally, failing to display prices could constitute unfair trading if the omission is likely to affect how customers behave. For example, customers might not choose to use your service if they knew in advance how much it would cost.
(source: Unfair trading, trade descriptions and pricing FAQs | Business Law Donut )

There is an exemption for antiques, true, but then it could be questioned in court if an item counts as an antique. This bloke sells all from 1940's metal toys to PC games and "Return of the Jedi Action Figures". He sells bloody iphones and ipads!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Low-level street hoods always collide with metal 'trash cans', noisily dislodging the lids, when fleeing supernatural forces or shockingly mutilated bodies in urban alleys.
It's the updated version of someone crashing through a barn has to exit along with several upset chickens.
It's in the rules or summat.