TV & Movie Clichés

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I have just read all 43 pages of this highly enjoyable thread to see if something i noticed last night on a tv show was on here (it's okay I have the day off).

I was watching the final episode of Unforgettable, a watchable but not brilliant American cop drama about a lady cop (and a bit of a Mary Sue) with an eidetic memory. (Now cops/fbi agents/crime fighters in general with eidetic memories seem to be surprisingly common too).

The protagonist is chasing a villain. It is usually (but not always) quite an arduous pursuit. The villain runs out of a door/passageway into the street and starts to look back at the protagonist. They usually look a bit smug and the protagonist is often winded and thinks they can't catch the villain. ALL OF A SUDDEN a van/lorry/SUV speeds in from stage left at top speed and rams into the villain, carrying them forward and out of shot to the right. The villain is dead! Shock! Jump-scare!

This happens so often in tv and film now that when someone runs into the road I am all but yelling at the screen. Don't stop until you get to the sidewalk/pathway on the opposite side!!!!! In fact don't stop at all and you might escape the coppers you idiot.

Also rooftop pursuits seem to be a more common thing on American shows than British ones, maybe because there are more buildings with flat roofs. The main cliche is when the villain gets to the side of the building and sees an alleyway in between them and the next building block. They decide to make a leap for the next building but fall short slightly and are hanging on to the wall of the next block by their fingers. The hero has no choice but to leap the alleyway to the next block. They leap the alleyway and succeed, doing a neat parkour roll to soften the landing. The hero tries to pull the villain up but oh no! the villain loses their grip on the wall, the hero loses their grip on the villain and the villain plunges to their doom several floors below. The hero punishes themself for not being able to save them even though the villain killed a busload of disabled children and laughed whilst he did so etc.

Imagine this taking place on top of a terrace in Rotherham.
There are also the criminals who, whilst being chased get hit by a car, with leg breaking, skull crushing and death inducing speed, then roll on the floor, get up and carry on running without even a limp, ususlly to escape, this usually happens near the middle of a film/episode and the cop is left frustrated the other side of a stream of fast moving cars.

Last edited:

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
When invited to a charming, beautiful tropical island be very careful of the wildlife. There have been warnings since the 1920s about this sort of thing. Next thing you know you are stuck on top of the Empire State Building with an angry gorilla and your knickers are showing. Or trapped in a very noisy stainless steel kitchen by some inquisitive velociraptors. Or infested by spiders etc.....

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Something I've noticed and privately mocked in recent years ...

Whenever the Powers That Be move in on a targeted place's front door, there are always three categories of folks in the strike force:

- Armed guys in full SWAT drag with automatic weapons,
- Plainclothes detectives / agents with handguns, and ...
- Battering Ram Guy (dressed in SWAT regalia but carrying only a tubular battering ram).

Somebody nods, Battering Ram Guy takes out the door with one blow, and everyone (else) rushes in.

What happens with Battering Ram Guy? Is he done for the day? I keep musing about the armed searchers emerging from the target house / apartment / building with Battering Ram Guy taking a smoke break outside, but I have yet to see it.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Whenever the Powers That Be move in on a targeted place's front door, there are always three categories of folks in the strike force:

- Battering Ram Guy (dressed in SWAT regalia but carrying only a tubular battering ram).

Somebody nods, Battering Ram Guy takes out the door with one blow, and everyone (else) rushes in.

What happens with Battering Ram Guy? Is he done for the day? I keep musing about the armed searchers emerging from the target house / apartment / building with Battering Ram Guy taking a smoke break outside, but I have yet to see it.
It is a high risk job as another clichè is the perp shooting through the door, so hes probably is the van driver when hes not battering

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
SWAT is always available. They never have another gig, or be in a different town because yours hasn't got the dosh.

They must be sitting around all day in the police station kitchen eating biscuits until it's time to go. They are fully kitted up and the crumbs get in the armour.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
The protagonist is chasing a villain. It is usually (but not always) quite an arduous pursuit. The villain runs out of a door/passageway into the street and starts to look back at the protagonist. They usually look a bit smug and the protagonist is often winded and thinks they can't catch the villain. ALL OF A SUDDEN a van/lorry/SUV speeds in from stage left at top speed and rams into the villain, carrying them forward and out of shot to the right. The villain is dead! Shock! Jump-scare!

I know exactly where you are coming from there.
However ...
Into the series or not, the Agatha Christie productions involving David Suchet are hightly recommended. Some hit, some miss.
But ...
Relating to your above point directly, watch "The Clocks". Available on You Tube, please just watch and enjoy.
Then come back here and tell me what you think.

*spoiler not spoiler alert*
I'm a big fan of Christie, especially the Suchet versions, and have copies of them all. Since learning to appreciate filmography, score etc. I've come to enjoy them and laud many (not all). ;)

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I don't remember that precise one but I also enjoyed the Poirot series with Suchet too so I shall look out for that episode!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

l’ve been “the Battering Ram Guy” (preen, preen...). The one we used had the trade name of “Enforcer”.

l used to drop it outside (what was left of) the door, and go in with the rest of the team. It would be rare for more than a moment or two between officers going in or out, so risk of it being proffed was close to zero.

lt’s good kit. :sneaky2:

maximus otter

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
l’ve been “the Battering Ram Guy” (preen, preen...). The one we used had the trade name of “Enforcer”.

l used to drop it outside (what was left of) the door, and go in with the rest of the team. It would be rare for more than a moment or two between officers going in or out, so risk of it being proffed was close to zero.

maximus otter
Ive heard them referred to as 'the big red key' before

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter
This is another tale of your love life, isn't it?:reyes:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (season 22, Ep 14):

1. Battering ram guy inside a house goes to basement, finds a body, when Detective Rollins appears he shakes his head.

2. Battering ram guy inside an apartment, turns off a radio.

He's a rater large guy.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When any character has a heart ailment and is feeling poorly, out of breath of near death, they'll pull out a small orange cylander of heart tablets and rather than swallow the prescribed dose, will swallow a handful (often without water) and will immediately feel better and without side effects, allowing them to continue on. Usually later on, the very same pills will be lost at a crucial moment causing a plot twist.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When any character has a heart ailment and is feeling poorly, out of breath of near death, they'll pull out a small orange cylander of heart tablets and rather than swallow the prescribed dose, will swallow a handful (often without water) and will immediately feel better and without side effects, allowing them to continue on. Usually later on, the very same pills will be lost at a crucial moment causing a plot twist.
If they can't get these amazing pills, they usually die within seconds.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've noticed in film tv and books that the characters can go for days without sleeping and eating. But when they are shown eating they take one bite and then something distracts them and they are off. They swallow painkillers like they are going out of fashion though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I've noticed in film tv and books that the characters can go for days without sleeping and eating. But when they are shown eating they take one bite and then something distracts them and they are off. They swallow painkillers like they are going out of fashion though.
Also, you never see them drink any water. It's always whisky or some other hard liquor, or coffee.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Alec Steele (a young blacksmith) points out the blacksmithing stupidities and inaccuracies in films:

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Similarly, if someone else has to administer these pills to their unconscious owner, they will always tip them directly into the victim's mouth from said small orange cylinder.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Things that never happen in the Rovers Return that happen in real pubs;

• Someone falls asleep in the toilet.

• A drunk man at the bar produces a fart so appalling that everyone moves away from him.

• Some shoplifters come in trying to sell stuff.

• Some shoplifters get told "HOI! F*** OFF" very loudly by the barman.

• A very drunk man falls over while holding a full pint but miraculously doesn't spill any.

• A clearly drunk man falls over, gets back up after an almighty struggle with gravity, then claims not to be drunk.

• A guy with a big dog sits in the most inconvenient possible place- usually partially blocking the bar/toilet thoroughfare and passive-aggressively apologises to anyone trying to squeeze past.

• Someone puts a song on the jukebox only to hear a total stranger immediately describe the song in question as "shite".

• Someone badly misjudges how high-pitched the middle-eight in a karaoke song is compared to the verses and spends the rest of night pretending not to be embarrassed.

• A man on his own watching football, happy to chat to anyone about the game, but clearly desperate for said chat to turn into a violent argument.

Last edited:

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
Things that never happen in the Rovers Return that happen in real pubs;

• Someone falls asleep in the toilet.

• A drunk man at the bar produces a fart so appalling that everyone moves away from him.

• Some shoplifters come in trying to sell stuff.

• Some shoplifters get told "HOI! F*** OFF" very loudly by the barman.

• A very drunk man falls over while holding a full pint but miraculously doesn't spill any.

• A clearly drunk man falls over, gets back up after an almighty struggle with gravity, then claims not to be drunk.

• A guy with a big dog sits in the most inconvenient possible place- usually partially blocking the bar/toilet thoroughfare and passive-aggressively apologises to anyone trying to squeeze past.

• Someone puts a song on the jukebox only to hear a total stranger immediately describe the song in question as "shite".

• Someone badly misjudges how high-pitched the middle-eight in a karaoke song is compared to the verses and spends the rest of night pretending not to be embarrassed.

• A man on his own watching football, happy to chat to anyone about the game, but clearly desperate for said chat to turn into a violent argument.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The Queen Vic has had a couple of resident dogs, 'Roly' and 'Princess Di'
Oh did they? I haven't watched EastEnders since the 80s so can't really remember although there do seem to have ben more dogs in general on that show than Corrers. I can't think of any in Emmerdale which given the rural nature of the characters seems wrong, I must be wrong.

Another cliche - the local community is in the pub (or bar if you are in the US) every night and every lunchtime etc

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Oh did they? I haven't watched EastEnders since the 80s so can't really remember although there do seem to have ben more dogs in general on that show than Corrers. I can't think of any in Emmerdale which given the rural nature of the characters seems wrong, I must be wrong.

Another cliche - the local community is in the pub (or bar if you are in the US) every night and every lunchtime etc
'Roly' was Den and Angies dog and the other was Danny Dyers characters (dont know his character name, i only have to suffer soaps when i visit my mum) and of course there was Ethels 'Little Willie' and 'Wellard', Corrie had 'Schmeichel' the great dane, in Emmerdale i think the Dingles have a wolfhound, dont know its name.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
'Roly' was Den and Angies dog and the other was Danny Dyers characters (dont know his character name, i only have to suffer soaps when i visit my mum) and of course there was Ethels 'Little Willie' and 'Wellard', Corrie had 'Schmeichel' the great dane, in Emmerdale i think the Dingles have a wolfhound, dont know its name.
Well remembered!!