TV & Movie Clichés

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There is always a ready source of liquid nitrogen or molten metal to hand when killing a bad guy/robot/monster/alien.
Always.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just watched the Tomorrow War on Amazon last night (a really stupid bit fairly enjoyable film) and am reminded that you cannot defeat an alien species without a climatic man on alien fight in which the man punches the alien. It doesn't matter how many tentacles it's got or how fast and deadly it is. The credits cannot roll until they've duked it out.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
I find it very unlikely that so many people can apparently spend decades eating hotpot and drinking Newton and Ridley's beer without ever once breaking wind.
Judging from the expression, someone's trying not to...
Fiz-Tyrone-social-services-Coronation-Street.png

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
People have small children and babies willy nilly, yet seem to have plenty of time to hang out in pubs/laundrettes/shops, either without said children in evidence or with a silent baby in a pram that doesn't start to immediately whinge upon the commencement of any conversation.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
When a human interstellar spaceship discovers a lost human colony, the colony initially appears utopian or at least hugely welcoming.

Halfway through the show, a crew member sees something they shouldn't have that reveals the colony to be aliens in disguise or insane human cannibals.

Last edited:

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
When a human interstellar spaceship discovers a lost human colony, the colony initially appears utopian or at least hugely welcoming.

Halfway through the show, a crew member sees something they shouldn't have that reveals the colony to be aliens in disguise or insane human cannibals.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
In the finale of fantasy and scifi fillums, the hero gets into a confrontation with the villain. After trading a few blows, the villain will suddenly reveal a boss-like levelling up transformation so there’s this end of level bossfight thing going on against a dragon or a super robot witch or something. Not to be outdone, the hero then often finds their own super boss ability and triumphs. Usually by chucking the adversary into a volcano or a vat of hot jam.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
In a future post-apocalyptic world where food and resources are scarce, there will be tribes of bad guys who are built like bodybuilders despite a lack of high protein food, supplements, steroids, and gymnasiums.
Who do you think has all the protein and supplements causing the shortage?
The Great Whey Wars are almost upon us.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
She starts off thinking of him as a nuisance that has to be tolerated. Any attraction is out of the question, she doesn't even like him due to his cynicism/brashness/ornery ways & in short he gets on her nerves.

It takes a while but she slowly comes round to realising how wrong she was & what a gem this man is even if he has some funny ways. He wins her over with numerous thoughtful deeds she hadn't thought him capable of & she decides to grab him despite the 20 year age difference.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It takes a while but she slowly comes round to realising how wrong she was & what a gem this man is even if he has some funny ways. He wins her over with numerous thoughtful deeds she hadn't thought him capable of & she decides to grab him despite the 20 year age difference.
Yes, it's always a decrepit old man picking up a hot young babe.
Extreme example - the almost 40 year age gap in the film Entrapment, starring Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Extreme example - the almost 40 year age gap in the film Entrapment, starring Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
She has got form for liking them old. 25 year gap between her and her hubby.

Last edited:

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know a guy who pitched a story idea to Sean Connery. As he was telling the story, Connery would interrupt with the occasional "I think this is a good place for me to make love to the woman."

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This usually applies to Westerns (James Bond in Skyfall being the exception).
If you're all lathered up and shaving, or being shaved, with a cut-throat razor, you will never, ever be able to complete the shave, without some form of interruption.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
This usually applies to Westerns (James Bond in Skyfall being the exception).
If you're all lathered up and shaving, or being shaved, with a cut-throat razor, you will never, ever be able to complete the shave, without some form of interruption.
Just make sure it's not Clint Eastwood you interrupt, he doesn't take kindly to having his shave disturbed

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
When two lifelong friends fall out when one becomes evil they will have a final confrontation. The good friend will strike a fatal blow and with his dying breath the evil friend will say something like "I'm glad it was you."
It's even worse in some films, where a character flip-flops between being good and evil. WTF?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
She starts off thinking of him as a nuisance that has to be tolerated. Any attraction is out of the question, she doesn't even like him due to his cynicism/brashness/ornery ways & in short he gets on her nerves.

Apart from the age difference this is the plot of most romantic fiction aimed at women. Publishers offer aspiring writers how-to guides for churning them out.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
If the Eastern Seaboard of the US is hit by an earthquake or tidal wave or becomes frozen, infected, invaded or faces an economic down-turn - it is the end of the human race or Civilisation as we know it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
If the Eastern Seaboard of the US is hit by an earthquake or tidal wave or becomes frozen, infected, invaded or faces an economic down-turn - it is the end of the human race or Civilisation as we know it.
The only acknowledgement to the outside world might be a mention of London and Paris in a newsflash.
Or not at all in some films.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
The only acknowledgement to the outside world might be a mention of London and Paris in a newsflash.
Or not at all in some films.
Deep Impact (which I've just finished watching) did mention millions dead in some other continent and maybe in a place called Africa.