TV & Movie Clichés

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This is all over The Handmaid's Tale, and it's really annoying. Baddie does something terrible, then tells the hero that it's their fault: "YOU did this!" No they bloody didn't, you, the villain did it, if it was up to the hero it wouldn't have happened at all! Stop it!

Gene Hunt73

Fire up the Quattro.
Reaction score
In a film involving aliens, one of the humans will shoot the crap out of the door in the hovel they are being holed up in when someone knocks on the door.
It's always the Sheriff or his deputy who gets killed. I shot the sheriff but I didn't kill the deputy

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A chase almost always leads to a confrontation on the rooftop of a very tall building.
One of the protagonists jumps off the building backwards. Always backwards.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone finding blood unexpectedly must dip his fingers in it and rub it contemplatively between his thumb and first two fingers while looking up to see whether he is being observed.

How this aids confirmation, I have no idea.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
New born babies right after birth look at least about 1 year old and are impeccably clean.
Except in certain horror or sci-fi shows, where they're commonly enveloped in a glob of sticky goo with a consistency and volume suggestive of something blown out of King Kong's runny nose.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If the credibility of pearls are brought into question, (ie: are they genuine or not?) someone will step up and do the tooth test, that is rubbing them gently against their teeth to determine whether they are real or otherwise.
This is also the actual way to determine the difference between natural, cultured and artificial pearls as they do feel different.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Anyone finding blood unexpectedly must dip his fingers in it and rub it contemplatively between his thumb and first two fingers while looking up to see whether he is being observed.

How this aids confirmation, I have no idea.
Spilled unclotted blood is fresh. The victim or attacker is still close by.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
If the credibility of pearls are brought into question, (ie: are they genuine or not?) someone will step up and do the tooth test, that is rubbing them gently against their teeth to determine whether they are real or otherwise.
This is also the actual way to determine the difference between natural, cultured and artificial pearls as they do feel different.
There used to be a belief that a real diamond will scratch glass, unlike an imitation.
People would try this and the process would loosen the stone so it later fell out.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
At some point a mechanic is working underneath a car. We only see the bottom half but when the mechanic slides out on the creeper….
OMG! It’s a woman!

See also mysterious figure dressed all in black on a huge motorbike.
Once they remove their black-visored helmet, the long blonde curls and substantial cleavage of a statuesque woman only then become obvious.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
At some point a mechanic is working underneath a car. We only see the bottom half but when the mechanic slides out on the creeper….
OMG! It’s a woman!
Mechanics under cars are notoriously uncooperative when it comes to answering questions. The best way to get them to talk is to start lowering the car onto them - the speed of the lowering depends on how badass the questioner is.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This is all over The Handmaid's Tale, and it's really annoying. Baddie does something terrible, then tells the hero that it's their fault: "YOU did this!" No they bloody didn't, you, the villain did it, if it was up to the hero it wouldn't have happened at all! Stop it!
This is sadly a common trope in life too especially in domestic violence cases. :(

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
OMG! It’s a woman!
And, she's not ugly!

1632478644396.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Mechanics under cars are notoriously uncooperative when it comes to answering questions. The best way to get them to talk is to start lowering the car onto them - the speed of the lowering depends on how badass the questioner is.
Did I see that done by Regan in The Sweeney?

(A Coronation Street character, Harry Hewitt, died by accident when a makeshift jack (some bricks) failed and the vehicle fell on him.
I saw this at the time in September 1967 when I was 9. Gave me a healthy lifelong respect for using the correct appliance.)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A yarn goes round now and then about a woman who sees her husband's legs poking out from under their car on a hot day, in his shorts.

She mischievously reaches up his shorts leg to deliver a cheeky tickle.

There is a bang and some swearing as the poor bloke hits his head on the underside of the car, and her husband walks up with a cup of tea for the AA man.