TV & Movie Clichés

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Did I see that done by Regan in The Sweeney?

(A Coronation Street character, Harry Hewitt, died by accident when a makeshift jack (some bricks) failed and the vehicle fell on him.
I saw this at the time in September 1967 when I was 9. Gave me a healthy lifelong respect for using the correct appliance.)
Seems the sort of thing Regan would do.
Here's one from The Long Good Friday at 0:55 seconds.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Seems the sort of thing Regan would do.
Here's one from The Long Good Friday at 0:55 seconds.
Haha, horrific! :omg:

One of my favourite fillums. The ending was discussed on t'wireless recently, particularly where Shand realises he's being driven to his death and his face shows his knowledge of being out-manouevred.

The incident I remember had the questioner lowering the jack a notch at a time, to desperate pleading from the mechanic.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Rappinghood

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
This is why I loved peak Dario Argento, no clichés outside his own conventions.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Any drama set in the Scottish Highlands OR the Lake District will have a scene where the narrative pauses for a few minutes so the main character can climb a hill and stare moodily into the middle distance for a few minutes while the camera slowly moves round them.

If they happen to be wearing a hat, one lock of hair will be sticking out so that it can blow in the breeze.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Any drama set in the Scottish Highlands OR the Lake District will have a scene where the narrative pauses for a few minutes so the main character can climb a hill and stare moodily into the middle distance for a few minutes while the camera slowly moves round them.

If they happen to be wearing a hat, one lock of hair will be sticking out so that it can blow in the breeze.
But everyone does that in RL
Yes, yes, we do...

nudebeardedwanderer2.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We've probably already 'ad this but it's just come up in a programme I was watching.

When someone works out how they are being manipulated or victimised they go to the person doing it and tell them what they know, leaving themselves open to immediate retaliation.

I wouldn't do that. I'd play along until I could sort them out once and for all.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Oh people going to have it out with their stalker/abusive other half/sniper etc to gove them a chance to explain themself?? Nooooooo! Tell the police you idiot!

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh people going to have it out with their stalker/abusive other half/sniper etc to gove them a chance to explain themself?? Nooooooo! Tell the police you idiot!
The original version of The Hitcher had a plot that depended on no one calling the police. This is the epitome of an "idiot plot", defined by Roger Ebert as "Any plot containing problems that would be solved instantly if all of the characters were not idiots."

I could not be persuaded to see the sequel or remake.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The original version of The Hitcher had a plot that depended on no one calling the police. This is the epitome of an "idiot plot", defined by Roger Ebert as "Any plot containing problems that would be solved instantly if all of the characters were not idiots."

I could not be persuaded to see the sequel or remake.

The Hitcher is the epitome of an older horror movie that would be over in a couple of minutes if they had a mobile phone to hand.