• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV/Movie Remakes We'd Like To See

Tigerhawk

Godzilla Just Has Anger Management Issues....
The Claw (giant invisible to radar bird attacks planes and stuff.

Metropolis (still done in black and white and in silence!)

Manos - Hands Of Fate.

Nomads, the 1986 film with Pierce Brosnan. The plot was quite good but the film was so very, very 80's (and not in a good way.)

I really liked the idea that Los Angeles is a desert that pretends not to be a desert, hence the spiritual issues that come with that. But it could have been done so much better.

There's a lot more they could do with Logan's Run now.

True, but I don't think I could bear to see Box looking like a proper robot and not some tinfoil-covered cardboard you could dispatch with a gentle kick. :cool3:

I'd like to see a remake of JAWS but this time with an all female cast !!.. just kidding before I get beaten up .. I'd like to see a remake of Kingdom Of The Spiders ... just because I enjoyed the original, no deeper reason than that ..

There's a movie called Apollo 18 which I have never seen. It sounds very promising. Found footage of a failed Apollo mission - the real reason why we never went back to the moon etc. But I've never seen it because it's only got 5/10 on IMDB and it went straight to Blu-Ray. I know I'll just be disappointed when my imagination has already conjured up ideas and scenes.

So I want someone to remake that film. Making it exciting, baking in conspiracy theories about the moon landings, a few alien bases here and there and explaining why we abandoned the moon.

Make it a huge summer blockbuster (like the original Independence Day was) with a wicked teaser/trailer campaign and I'll happily fork out for an IMAX ticket and a large popcorn. And I want Amy Adams in it. Just sayin'.

There's a movie called Apollo 18 which I have never seen. It sounds very promising. Found footage of a failed Apollo mission - the real reason why we never went back to the moon etc. But I've never seen it because it's only got 5/10 on IMDB and it went straight to Blu-Ray.
i saw it at the cinema, was very mediocre, not sure its a prime candidate for a remake ... more like a rewrite !

moon rocks come to life, kill everyone

not unlike more recent flick life, which had a few more flourishes and a decent cast but ultimately fairly lifeless

I'd like to see a remake of The Keep. Much as I like Micheal Mann's movies, this one was a real disappointment.

It's hard to know what the Keep could've been, the film was cut to shreds and the budget was significantly cut so the original more ambitious concepts for the monster didn't happen. It would be great to see Mann remake it but it is such a sore point for him he's vetoed any director's cut.

It's hard to know what the Keep could've been, the film was cut to shreds and the budget was significantly cut so the original more ambitious concepts for the monster didn't happen. It would be great to see Mann remake it but it is such a sore point for him he's vetoed any director's cut.
It's a weird coincidence (to me only probably) that we're going into Michael Mann remake territory because I was hovering over suggesting that 'Manhunter' would be a remake I'd like to watch in this conversation .. 'hovering' because I only remember it visually, sort of like an 80's Miami Vice with pastel sunsets .. every other Hannibal Lecter film has had a visualy darker different visual feel and pace to it so I think the time is ripe but also hovering because who would they chose to perform as well?: performing as a younger Anthony Hopkins? ..

.. no one wants to see another Vince Vaughn 'PSYCHO' inferior photocopy performance.

Bring back "Dogfood Dan And The Carmarthen Cowboy "
all is forgiven.

Well it's already been rebooted twice in a way, once with the godawful (but closer to the novel) Red Dragon and once more in the second season of TV Series Hannibal.

It's a weird coincidence (to me only probably) that we're going into Michael Mann remake territory because I was hovering over suggesting that 'Manhunter' would be a remake I'd like to watch in this conversation .. 'hovering' because I only remember it visually, sort of like an 80's Miami Vice with pastel sunsets .. every other Hannibal Lecter film has had a visualy darker different visual feel and pace to it so I think the time is ripe but also hovering because who would they chose to perform as well?: performing as a younger Anthony Hopkins? ..

.. no one wants to see another Vince Vaughn 'PSYCHO' inferior photocopy performance.

It was remade as Red Dragon although I prefer Manhunter. I always found Hopkins a bit too borderline Vincent Price for Lector and liked Brian Cox's more down to earth but cunning version better. And besides, Brian Cox in one the few celebs I've met, very nice chap too.

<STARE AT CAMERA UNBLINKING>

Can you hear the lambs Claricccccce?

<CONTINUE TO STARE AT CAMERA UNBLINKING>

Yeah, not the most nuanced performance, he may as well have had a big red sign flashing behind him saying 'This bloke is maaaaad'. Compare that to the conversation in Manhunter when Brian Cox almost matter of factly asks Will Graham 'Have you ever seen blood in the moonlight Will, it appears quite black' as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Wonderfully understated charismatic performance, which underlined powerfully why Lector was so dangerous.

There's some very clever cinematography in that scene as well, an almost imperceptible zoom on both faces as the scene progresses and the two men begin to connect again.

I'd like to see a remake of The Keep. Much as I like Micheal Mann's movies, this one was a real disappointment.
No! I liked that film just as it was.

Really? Just watched it again on Netflix and it really plods along.
I first saw it on a large screen at an SF or fantasy con, and it was really good. The golem's smoke effects really grabbed my attention. It is a little slow for today's tastes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nomads, the 1986 film with Pierce Brosnan. The plot was quite good but the film was so very, very 80's (and not in a good way.)

I really liked the idea that Los Angeles is a desert that pretends not to be a desert, hence the spiritual issues that come with that. But it could have been done so much better.

Have you seen Wolfen, the early 80s werewolf movie? I suspect the makers of Nomads saw that. They were both flops, but Wolfen is the superior film, pretty underrated (though Albert Finney was never good at the American accent). Based on a book by Whitley Strieber, if you want a Fortean connection.

F. Paul Wilson's original novel is a fantastic read, you can see why Mann thought it would be cinematic, but somehow he couldn't manage it, he blames studio interference but I wonder if he was the right man for the material?

Have you seen Wolfen, the early 80s werewolf movie? I suspect the makers of Nomads saw that. They were both flops, but Wolfen is the superior film, pretty underrated (though Albert Finney was never good at the American accent). Based on a book by Whitley Strieber, if you want a Fortean connection.

I read the book ages and ages ago - I think I was about 12! But never did see the movie.

ETA - oh, just thought of another remake suggestion from my ill-advised childhood reading list - Ghost Story.

That was a dull as dishwater film of a very frightening book. Could have been loads better.

Last edited:
I read the book ages and ages ago - I think I was about 12! But never did see the movie.

ETA - oh, just thought of another remake suggestion from my ill-advised childhood reading list - Ghost Story.

That was a dull as dishwater film of a very frightening book. Could have been loads better.

I liked the Wolfen film but found the book much better, terrifying!

Loved Straub's Ghost Story on the page, but as Kim Newman said, they solved the problem of adapting such a complex novel by throwing it out of the window. Great cast for the oldies, though.

Straub's Shadowland is supposedly being made as a TV series, but I haven't heard about that for a while. That was his other great horror novel.

It's probably English but just sounds like Wolfen

I've just falsely remembered this. I've only seen Wolfen the once on TV and I could have sworn that Tom performed Tom Traubert's Blues in it's entirety.
Had a look on youtube and it's actually a very small part of Jitterbug Boy.

Mandela!

Back