• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
wI've seen the John Hurt version of Oh Whistle ... and wasn't overly impressed. It felt depressing and slow. The side-story - of his wife - was okay if only to show some character to the protagonist, but it all felt that it was the hotel was the otherworldly factor.

I was more impressed by Remember Me, featuring star-in-the-making Jodie Comer.

There was a version of Oh Whistle starring John Hurt and the delightfully batty Sophie Thompson that was contemporary yet still retained the full sense of remote isolation necessary for these tales.
Gatiss has increasingly become more loose in his interpretation of, let’s not forget, stories that are loved by readers and fans for what they are and were originally intended and crafted to be.
If he could get Carry On Screaming down to 50 minutes for next Christmas, I reckon he’d be in heaven and I’d be on board to see what he could do with it. Although turning it to full-on straight horror would be my guess.
Oh Whistle dark isolation etc was good but I have seen better endings in the 1980s ITV show ending Dramarama.

Was it here someone suggested this? I haven’t got the time or the willpower to check giving the forums snails pace at the moment. Anyway I listened and it was really good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k8q2f
IMG_3733.jpeg

Was it here someone suggested this? I haven’t got the time or the willpower to check giving the forums snails pace at the moment. Anyway I listened and it was really good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k8q2fView attachment 72459

I mentioned it as part of the BBC Christmas programming and I managed to get round to it yesterday on BBC Sounds. I agree it was pretty good with a decent twist :) (i.e. not the one you're being led to).

I'm sure everyone here is aware but just in case, BBC Radio 4 Extra run the 7th Dimension every weekend which runs supernatural and sci-fi programmes for an hour each day. Sometimes they're standalone tales like this, sometimes they're a set of tales or part of a classic series.

The 7th Dimension is on every Saturday and Sunday at midnight then repeated at 4pm later in the day. I don't often listen live. Instead I wait until Sunday morning, check the schedule and bookmark programmes on BBC Sounds so I can listen at a later date. Here's the schedule if anyone wants to take a look: Radio 4 Extra schedule. They do randomly show other supernatural and sci-fi programmes though, so I usually check the genre pages (which I linked at the end of my earlier Christmas post) every couple of weeks to make sure I don't miss anything (would have linked it but it's not working).

Last edited:
BBC Sounds have released a 10 part series called Mythical Creatures.

Here is the synopsis from Radio 4: "Fantasy writer Rhianna Pratchett takes us across an enchanted British Isles to discover mythical creatures that lurk in all corners of the land. She uncovers what they can tell us about our history, our world and our lives today."

The series focuses on black dogs, dragons and banshees amongst many other creatures common to British folklore. I haven't listened to it yet so I can't personally vouch for it, but it might be worth a listen.

BBC Sounds have released a 10 part series called Mythical Creatures.

Here is the synopsis from Radio 4: "Fantasy writer Rhianna Pratchett takes us across an enchanted British Isles to discover mythical creatures that lurk in all corners of the land. She uncovers what they can tell us about our history, our world and our lives today."

The series focuses on black dogs, dragons and banshees amongst many other creatures common to British folklore. I haven't listened to it yet so I can't personally vouch for it, but it might be worth a listen.
Daughter of Sir Terry.

I did tweet (X) Mr Gatiss saying a newly written ghost story would be good. It could still have a Victorian setting but something new and fresher would be nice.
I think so too.
I received 'The Haunting Season - Ghostly Tales for Long winter Nights ' as a Christmas present and it has some good stories from more modern writers. One in there that I think would make a good TV adaptation is 'The Hanging of the Green' by Andrew Michael Hurley. It is an interesting tale incorporating folk horror, ghosts and time slip and could adapt to any era from Victorian to present day.

The true story behind the notorious Amityville haunting
The Lutz family talk about their chilling experience

Amityville: An Origin Story

9pm, BBC Two

'When the Lutz family moved into an idyllic house in Long Island, New York, in 1975, they learned that six people had been killed there the previous year – then fled after only 28 days because of apparent paranormal activity. It inspired a book and a hit horror film (not to mention dozens of less well-received spin-offs), but this chilling documentary series tells the real story. It speaks to people who were there and sets the incident against the cultural obsession with the supernatural at the time.'

On BBC One Northern Ireland tonight at 10:40 pm.

"It's a mystery. If I knew where poems came from, I would go there."

These are the words of Belfast-born poet Michael Longley as he shares insights on the friendships and places that have inspired his work. Michael Longley: Where Poems Come From sees the writer discuss his work in an intimate new documentary for BBC Northern Ireland.

Longley said that the filmmakers had delved "deep between the lines (of his poems) and illuminated them".

"With great subtlety they suggest the mystery of where poems come from," he said.

This film celebrates the work of the award-winning poet, who was born in 1939. ...

The film is directed by Adam Low, who said the poet's energy at 84 is "simply remarkable".

"His radiant poems about the natural world are so inspiring for a film-maker, and his deeply humane response to the political violence in Northern Ireland - and elsewhere - is extremely moving," he said. "His lifelong love of jazz and his relationship with his wife Edna gave the film both humour and heart."

Produced for the BBC by DoubleBand Films and Lone Star Productions, the documentary will be broadcast on BBC One Northern Ireland on Monday at 22:40 GMT and will be available on the BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-68255896

Back