• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I don't know about everyone else but I've really been enjoying Taboo, I think it's really the best BBC produced drama in years.

Naysayers be damned! Tom Hardy's Taboo is a work of Wicker Man genius
Hardy’s tale of revenge, gunpowder and incest has been misunderstood. It actually follows a long tradition of weird, wild historical drama now all too rare
Thursday 23 February 2017 12.02 GMT

As we head for the last episode and James Delaney’s final showdown with the East India Company, I’m here to tell you the naysayers are wrong. Hardy is in fact a misunderstood genius and the melodramatic Taboo is the most entertaining drama currently on TV. What’s more, it’s operating out of a British tradition that has been unfairly sidelined in favour of more straightforward fare.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-a-work-of-wicker-man-genius?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don't know about everyone else but I've really been enjoying Taboo, I think it's really the best BBC produced drama in years.
It leans more on Tom Hardy going 'hrn' in a menacing way and Oonagh Chaplin desporting herself in a manner that would curl Grandfather's cane, than, say plot and continuity, but it's brilliant stuff.

Simply Media announces the release of BBC’s ‘1990: Series 1’
March 13, 2017 Cult News Television 0

Simply Media have announced the DVD release of the critically acclaimed dystopian drama 1990: Series 1, on 20th March 2017. Originally broadcast on BBC Two in 1977, this will be the very first time this highly sought-after cult sensation will be available on any home video format.

Created by Wilfred Greatorex (Secret Army / ‘Allo ‘Allo), described by The Guardian as “one of the most prolific and assured television script-writers and editors from the 1960s into the 1980s”, 1990 tells a chilling tale of a bleak and nightmarish future Britain where individual rights have been replaced by rights only for the common good. Government bureaucracy is out of control. The lives of ordinary citizens are in the hands of the Home Office’s corrupt and overbearing Public Control Department (PCD), which has its watchful eye on everyone in order to monitor and expose all possible and imaginary threats to the country.

http://wearecult.rocks/simply-media-announces-the-release-of-bbcs-1990-series-1

Gravity & Me: The Force That Shapes Our Lives

As well sculpting our universe, gravity also affects our weight, height and even the rate at which we age.

Another excellent Jim Al-Khalili BBC prog. Goes from Galileo & Newton to the detection of the previously theoretical gravity waves. As we know, time runs at different rates even on Earth, depending on speed & altitude. Gravity & time are intimately related & the prog ends with the poser - is the speed of time determined by gravity or is it the speed time runs that determines gravity? This is a new concept even to Jim but it's an interesting concept..

New documentary of interest to those who live here, and the millions of holiday visitors we get:
Cornish police to appear on ITV national television in Devon and Cornwall Cops

The public is being given a rare behind-the-scenes look at summer policing in Devon and Cornwall thanks to a major new primetime TV series.
The work of the force has been captured for a four-part documentary called ‘Devon and Cornwall Cops’ which starts at 8pm on Monday on national ITV.

The series, narrated by Neil Morrissey, follows officers and staff as they work across the biggest geographical force area in England through the summer months of 2016.
From the Isles of Scilly to the crowds of Plymouth, the show gives the public an insight into how Devon and Cornwall Police tackles the unique challenge of policing more than 700 miles of coastland plus urban and rural communities.
The show shines a light on how frontline officers and staff keep the exploding population safe as 11 million tourists join the 1.7 million locals over the summer.

In the first episode, A Very Scilly Royal Visit, the cameras accompany officers on patrol as they deal with traffic on the counties’ roads, meets officers on the Isles of Scilly as they prepare for the one of the highest profile royal visits in the island’s history, and joins the hunt for big cats on the moor.

etc...

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...e_officer_be_featured_in_national_TV_series_/

BBC AFTERNOON DRAMA : Ghosts of Heathrow

"Heathrow is Europe's busiest airport with 190,000 visitors each day. It is also the setting of a conspicuously large number of ghost stories. On Runway 1 there have been recurring sightings of a wandering man..."

Martin is a senior marketing consultant based in San Diego attending a conference in Heathrow. The night before his presentation he receives an unwelcome visitor in his hotel room. Forced out into the wilds of Hounslow Heath he finds himself chasing down some ghosts of his own.

The ITV hub currently has a John Sargeant series on offer, Barging around Britain.
The first episode was about the Leeds and Liverpool canal, of which I knew nothing or very little. It's not just about the canals, or the barges or narrow boats, but a look at the industries they enabled, and the lives of the people involved. Some fascinating tit-bits too - how do Alpacas fit into this picture?

https://www.itv.com/hub/barging-round-britain-with-john-sergeant/2a3214a0004

Lovely summer scenery, and John's such a likable old duffer, what's not to enjoy? :)

BBC Radio 4 Extra, Simon Bovey - Cold Blood,

Chilling drama set in 2015 at an Antarctic research station.
A group of scientists are conducting research in the Antarctic, the most pristine environment on Earth - but there are black clouds on the horizon. Welcome to the dark, dark world of Cold Blood...
Made in 2005 but set in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jv38

I don't know if it's Fortean (probably not, though it involves a mystery...) but BBC Four are showing that Oscar-winning, epic documentary on OJ Simpson in five parts. The first part was on last night and was absolutely captivating, and we're not out of the 1970s yet. Second part tonight, 10pm.

Well, Spike Lee's not going to like it. This OJ film is a superbly constructed doc, two parts to go and you can completely understand why he would have killed Nicole and Ron, but also why he wasn't convicted. I didn't watch the trial coverage at the time, not much anyway, but I remember my friend who was glued to it saying that Johnnie Cochran said he wasn't going to play the "race card", then proceeded to do exactly that, losing sight of the victims. Watching this I can see why my friend said that.

The Prisoner is on Ch 61 tonight @ 10pm. Be seeing you.

What channel is that?

It's the True Entertainment channel. They seem to show other dodgy old stuff like The Persuaders & The Avengers but The Prisoner is one of their better ones. It's on again tonight @ 10pm.

It's the True Entertainment channel. They seem to show other dodgy old stuff like The Persuaders & The Avengers but The Prisoner is one of their better ones. It's on again tonight @ 10pm.
Thanks! I've just found that channel on my TV's Freeview options. Not available on my cable TV listings.

Edit: Dodgy? That stuff was/is gold!

Thanks! I've just found that channel on my TV's Freeview options. Not available on my cable TV listings.

Edit: Dodgy? That stuff was/is gold!

The Persuaders is definitely well dodgy. I dare you to watch an episode. The only Avengers I can stand to watch are the Emma Peel ones & even they don't stand up all that well. The Tara King ones are terrible. Prisoner's great though!

When I started this thread, way back in 2003, I said:

"This thread is for reminders only, and out-dated posts will be removed from time to time.

To comment on Programmes, please find a thread elsewhere, or start a new one. Thanks - rynner

This is just a suggestion, but perhaps this thread would be more useful if reminders were posted no more than say 48 hours before the progs are aired. Too many reminders at a time tend to swamp the most pressing ones! (This is why I try to keep this thread pruned regularly.)"

The pruning has been neglected by subsequent Mods, and the thread is now 17 pages long! Do we really need 'reminders' about programmes ten or more years in the past?! :rolleyes: Answers on a postcard, etc...

Why not post that in the admin section?

I'm gonna say the Horizon episode "Strange Signals From Outer Space" was the best Horizon episode I've seen in years.

Cosmonauts: How Russia won the Space Race.

When Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon in 1969, America went down in popular history as the winner of the space race. But that history is bunk. The real pioneers of space exploration were the Soviet cosmonauts.

This remarkable feature-length documentary combines rare and unseen archive footage with interviews with the surviving cosmonauts to tell the fascinating and at times terrifying story of how the Russians led us into the space age. A particular highlight is Alexei Leonov, the man who performed the first spacewalk, explaining how he found himself trapped outside his spacecraft 500 miles above the Earth. Scary stuff.

This was first shown in 2014, But it's now available on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04lcxms/cosmonauts-how-russia-won-the-space-race
90 mins.

I was a shoolboy when Sputnik was launched, and later I kept a journal (in an old School exercise book) recording the first manned Flights, Russian and American.

Those of you within the British diaspora that have access to the BBC4 tv series "Parkinson: the interviews" have just missed the last in his current series (as have I, all apart from the last 10mins).

The main focus was Kenneth Williams. God, he was good. Amazing to think he's been dead for nearly three decades, I wish he was still alive...

Last edited:
Back