• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Radio 4: '15 minute drama' - "Halfway Here"

Luke is desperate to communicate with his comatose twin sister somehow.

--------------------------

Radio 4: 'The Ocean' - Episode 2

Richard Hawley travels the length and breadth of the country on a unique tour of the coast. Richard investigates spirituality, religion, superstition and mysticism in sea-faring towns.

Radio 4: '15 minute drama' - "Halfway Here"

Luke is desperate to communicate with his comatose twin sister somehow.

--------------------------

Radio 4: 'The Ocean' - Episode 2

Richard Hawley travels the length and breadth of the country on a unique tour of the coast. Richard investigates spirituality, religion, superstition and mysticism in sea-faring towns.

These ones look good, they completely passed me by! Thanks :D

BBC Radio 4 Extra is currently re-broadcasting the brilliant English occult fantasy drama Pilgrim, by Sebastian Baczkiewicz, which began airing back in 2011 on Radio 4. They're playing all 6 series in order and uploading them to iPlayer, the 4 episode series 1 is already up, I highly recommend giving it a listen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b071899b

Ah, good. That's excellent news - I only heard the odd episode and liked what I heard but wasn't quite following it. Look forward to starting from the beginning. Thanks FrKadash.

Cheers Ermintrude! Had high hopes for this but it's the only one of the recent crop I haven't listened to yet...encouraged by your positive comments I'm definitely looking forward to being disturbed. Or more so...

May watch this now if I can stay awake:

'Sceptical Rhod is on the hunt for something he doesn't think exists. Will he find it? Is there anything to find? Will he know it if he finds it anyway? Teaming up with a merry band of ghost hunters, Rhod is expected to host a paranormal evening for the public. Desperate to meet those beyond the grave, Rhod tries to put himself in the scariest situations he can find.'

I fully expect him to take the piss throughout, but it might be entertaining. The episodes I've seen before (Fighter Pilot, Dustman, Teacher, Journalist) were generally respectful in tone.

'Strong langauge throughout.'

Postscript: pretty much a total sneering pisstake so far, and the tortuous similes are getting a bit wearing. Still...forging on...

...worth watching till the end IMO.

Last edited:
I posted about that on the Ghost Hunters thread.

I found it hilarious, and the couple who were his mentors seemed to take it quite well, so I think "a total sneering pisstake" is a bit strong. It's just Rhod's style, comedy that pretends to be documentary. I loved the throwaway one-liners - sometimes I laughed so much at one I'd miss the next one!

So I agree with your conclusion, "...worth watching till the end IMO." :)

Tonight at eight o'clock, BBC Radio 4, The Archive Hour is about Choose Your Own Adventure Books, Fighting Fantasy books, gaming books like that. Sounds promising.

I posted about that on the Ghost Hunters thread.

I found it hilarious, and the couple who were his mentors seemed to take it quite well, so I think "a total sneering pisstake" is a bit strong. It's just Rhod's style, comedy that pretends to be documentary. I loved the throwaway one-liners - sometimes I laughed so much at one I'd miss the next one!

So I agree with your conclusion, "...worth watching till the end IMO." :)

Don't get me wrong; I find Rhod very likeable in general and enjoy his standup work and his panel show appearences, as he has a terrifically fast mind, is witty and A Good Sport.

I still think he was deliberately taking the piss for the first few minutes but suspect this was a clever way of making his growing uncertainty more surprising as the programme went on. I enjoyed it and might watch it again.

This might be of interest to fans of 1950s saucer movies...I'd not heard of it before:

Invaders from Mars

'Sci-fi classic. A young boy's excitement at seeing a spaceship land outside his house quickly turns to fear when everyone who visits the site returns in a zombie-like state, apparently under the control of the alien life forms within the vessel.'

This is well worth a watch. The Beeb do this stuff so well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b073h9h8/steve-backshalls-extreme-mountain-challenge-episode-1

An expedition to climb a tepuis - a sheer sided mountain with plateau on top - in Venezuela. There's around 100 of them, thought to be totally unexplored due to difficulty climbing them. Whatever's at the top has possibly been separated high above for millions of years. They look like they're the inspiration for Conan Doyle's Lost World. Fearsome storms, loose slippery rocks, sudden waterfalls & more.

Part 1.

The brilliant Heart of Space, been listening this off and on for years now, reminds me to get back into listening to the Late Junction on BBC Radio 3. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp52

Free today at HOS.com: GAELIC BLESSING—celebrating St.Patrick w/ Celtic airs, ballads, and laments

http://blog.hos.com/2016/03/pgm-1106-gaelic-blessing.html

ONCE AGAIN IT'S MID-MARCH and time to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick. And it's the perfect reason for us to return to the gorgeous melodies and flawless musicianship of traditional Celtic music, with a focus on the slow airs, deep laments, and poignant ballads. On this transmission of Hearts of Space from our longtime guest producer ELLEN HOLMES, a program called GAELIC BLESSING.

Music is by ALASDAIR FRASER & PAUL MACHLIS, AINE MINOGUE, LIZ MADDEN, ANUNA, ENSEMBLE GALILEI, MATTHEW BARLEY, KAREN MATHESON, SECRET GARDEN, MYCHAEL DANNA, ALTAN, IONA, and DAVID TOLK.

This is well worth a watch. The Beeb do this stuff so well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b073h9h8/steve-backshalls-extreme-mountain-challenge-episode-1

An expedition to climb a tepuis - a sheer sided mountain with plateau on top - in Venezuela. There's around 100 of them, thought to be totally unexplored due to difficulty climbing them. Whatever's at the top has possibly been separated high above for millions of years. They look like they're the inspiration for Conan Doyle's Lost World. Fearsome storms, loose slippery rocks, sudden waterfalls & more.

Part 1.
Watched part one last night - great stuff.

Watched part one last night - great stuff.

Indeed. Part 2 doesn't quite live up to it imo but still worth a watch. I won't spoil with any details. It tells you how they form.

What size are the plateaus? Square miles?

Some, bearing in mind there are around 100, are big. Couldn't tell you how many square miles in general. The one they're climbing I don't think is one of the bigger ones but it's probably a few square miles on top. I think it's about a kilometer straight up from the forest floor.

I caught a slight bit of 'World's Weirdest Events' on BBC last night. The episode was the last of the series of eight, I assume as I couldn't record the series on TV box. But it looked interesting.

Chris Packham explores the unexplained, unexpected and unidentifiable. Chris uncovers the cause of some mysterious holes in the Russian tundra and finds an underwater lake.

I don't think any of the other episodes are available on Iplayer at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07594fp/worlds-weirdest-events-episode-8

I watched that last night. It was quite a collection of stuff. Nothing new to me, as far as I could tell.

Is the tundra bit about the copper cauldrons? I've been fascinated by then for years but never found anything new.
No, it's about the holes caused by methane outgassing.

The previous seven episodes were on months ago! Before Christmas I think?

Anyone listened to these? The ending of the last one confused the hell out of me.
image.png

A classic fortean story we all know well... Just saw that this is on iPlayer now, says it was first broadcast on Radio 4 back in 2010.

The Green Children of Woolpit

Sometime in the Twelfth Century two children appeared from a pit on the edge of a field in the Suffolk village of Woolpit. They were coloured green and spoke a unknown language. They sickened until they were allowed to eat green beans. The boy died but the girl revived and grew up learning English, marrying a man from Kings Lynn, and speaking of the place she and her brother had come from. Susannah Clapp and Richard Mabey investigate the story and its remarkable enduring appeal to villagers, visitors and a succession of folklorists and writers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00slvqh

Frank Skinner's The Rest is History was back on Radio 4 tonight, listen again here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075mnxs

Much more interesting than the history lessons I got at school, the Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton bit was quite something. Sundays at 19.15 for the next few weeks.

Much more interesting than the history lessons I got at school, the Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton bit was quite something. Sundays at 19.15 for the next few weeks.
Coincidentally, tonight I was looking at a map of Milford Dock (in connection with the apparent drowning of a Cornish fisherman there), and I couldn't help noticing that Nelson Quay lies near Hamilton Terrace. :twisted:

Back