• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
This sounds excellent.

Saturday 27th October, Radio 4: The Road. Toby Hadoke's adaptation of Nigel Kneale’s lost 1963 TV play.

Mark Gatiss and Adrian Scarborough star as a philosopher and scientist investigating ghostly outbreaks in a country wood in 1768. Nigel Kneale’s legendary lost 1963 TV play has been adapted for BBC Radio 4 by Toby Hadoke.

DnigxLZWsAITlSo.jpg

https://twitter.com/robtmine/status/1042763550727565312

I'm enjoying this on radio iplayer: The Spy & The Traitor

The story of Oleg Gordievsky, a high ranking KGB intelligence officer, & his defection in the 1980s, knowing that if he was found out, he would be drugged, interrogated, tortured, then shot. Fascinating cold war stuff in nourishing bite sized 15 minute chunks. Read by Tim McInnerny.

Just watched a BBC Four documentary on the wonderful Hedy Lamarr.
This was less about her film career and more about her beautiful inventive brain that conceived Spread Spectrum Technology to control torpedos by radio control despite enemy jamming technology. The principle is in use today in satellite and wifi communication.

It’s probably on IPlayer and is well worth a watch.

I'm enjoying this on radio iplayer: The Spy & The Traitor

The story of Oleg Gordievsky, a high ranking KGB intelligence officer, & his defection in the 1980s, knowing that if he was found out, he would be drugged, interrogated, tortured, then shot. Fascinating cold war stuff in nourishing bite sized 15 minute chunks. Read by Tim McInnerny.

The story of his final escape from Moscow via Finland with the aid of British Secret Service operatives has to be heard to be believed. Skin of the teeth stuff in the boot of a car. According to the book he currently lives, 30 years after defection, in a modest house under an assumed name somewhere in the UK. He's still on the KGB or should that now be GRU hit list.

Hannibal Series 3 on netflix
*gets comfy, opens bottle of Chianti*

Hannibal Series 3 on netflix
*gets comfy, opens bottle of Chianti*

There's a show that looked great, was well cast, but slightly too up its own arse to get enthusiastic about.

There's a show that looked great, was well cast, but slightly too up its own arse to get enthusiastic about.
One beliefs must be well and truly suspended to enjoy it at all. It has no basis in any kind of psychology, reality or, well, anything really. It's dazzling well-acted theatre.

One beliefs must be well and truly suspended to enjoy it at all. It has no basis in any kind of psychology, reality or, well, anything really. It's dazzling well-acted theatre.

And nice to see Katharine Isabelle getting work.

Techy likes that but I just couldn't get it. Perhaps I should give it another go.

You know I hadn't made that connection. "Ginger Snaps", great movie.

She got pigeonholed as a horror star because of that film, which I don't know if she was enormously pleased about, but seems to have made her peace with the idea from the point of view that at least she's getting jobs. She is terrific, though.

I am currently bingeing Hannibal on Netflix. It is very strange, very beautiful, and quite mad (also a description of Doctor Lector as played by Mads Mikkelsen). Hannibal keeps simultaneously making me want to buy exotic cookbooks and become vegan. It is also why I now have an aching desire to smell "Bolt of Lightning" by JAR.

I'm currently on series 2 which clearly decided to not bother with crowd pleasing detective stuff and just go for the odd. It is a bit too aware of itself to be perfectly delicious but I quite like that it nearly creates the atmosphere of a Parisian salon as described by Huysman. Ultimately whether I like it or not, I can't stop watching it.

I am currently bingeing Hannibal on Netflix. It is very strange, very beautiful, and quite mad (also a description of Doctor Lector as played by Mads Mikkelsen). Hannibal keeps simultaneously making me want to buy exotic cookbooks and become vegan. It is also why I now have an aching desire to smell "Bolt of Lightning" by JAR.

I'm currently on series 2 which clearly decided to not bother with crowd pleasing detective stuff and just go for the odd. It is a bit too aware of itself to be perfectly delicious but I quite like that it nearly creates the atmosphere of a Parisian salon as described by Huysman. Ultimately whether I like it or not, I can't stop watching it.
Yes ^this^ - I'm on series three. It gets ever more bonkers.

People may not be aware that there is a show about Jack Parsons, the famous visionary US rocket scientist and Crowley disciple called STRANGE ANGEL (after the book about him of the same name). It is on CBS All Access and a few other streaming services. It has good production values and performances, and evokes the period setting and values quite well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7210448/

A Sailor went to Sea Sea Sea on R4.

Singer-songwriter Emma Lee Moss (aka Emmy the Great) returns to the playground to re-explore one of her earliest musical influences, the clapping game.

Emma finds the playground very much alive with song, new and old . So how is this seemingly old-fashioned pastime surviving in an age of YouTube and smart phones?

Emma speaks to children and researchers, as well as exploring the archive of amateur folklorist Iona Opie, to understand the secrets of the clapping game’s success since the 1950s.
(c) BBC '18

oh no! maybe I just got it to listen before it was rmeoved? :(

Just found this, BBC Radio 4 Extra - Music from Beyond the Veil, first broadcast Tue 14 Jul 2009.

Prof Paul Robertson examines the claims and counter-claims for musical mediumship and asks whether musical inspiration comes from within ourselves or if it could come from somewhere beyond.

He recounts the story of how, 40 years ago, a Balham housewife and medium with little musical training created a sensation when she claimed to have received new works from beyond the grave from Liszt, Brahms, Beethoven, Rachmaninov and other great composers. Rosemary Brown's abilities divided the musical world, with her supporters convinced that the works were genuine while her critics dismissed them as pastiche.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0...hkrhg0zYLGSyZy5CccPQbAHdxXQtWlPy8TFBVToCp-3VY

Thought this programme would be of interest,

BBC Radio 3, Sunday Feature - Into the Eerie

New Generation Thinker Will Abberley takes a journey into the strange and unsettling world of the English Eerie and discovers a growing movement of artists, writers and musicians exploring impressions of the ‘Eerie’ in the landscape. The idea of uncanny forces which resonate in a place, the buried traumas and sufferings which lie just under the surface of a landscape has always inspired artists. But in recent years there’s been a resurgence of interest in the Eerie in art as well as ecology and archaeology. It’s in the songs of PJ Harvey, the compositions of Richard Skelton, the nature writing of Helen Macdonald and Robert MacFarlane and the films of Tacita Dean and Ben Wheatley. Will speaks to some of these artists to understand why and how the tradition of the Eerie is being revived in response to contemporary fears and crises.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002zmr

Maggie tonight at 9 pm on The Horror Channel. Here's what I thought of it back in 2015.

Maggie: A dark film, far darker than I expected. Two films struggling with each other, a father/daughter flick infected with a Zombie movie. There's the sensitive Arnie caring for his daughter and the real Arnie who kills a Zombie with his bare hands in the first ten minutes of the film and shortly afterward axes his zombie neighbours; one of them a four year old girl.

The city looks wrecked, abandoned burned out cars, derelict buildings, the hospitals can't cope so infected patients are sent home until they reach "quarantine" stage. Much of the story of the plague is accessed through the background radio, a shock-jock wants all of the infected killed. We learn that crops are also failing and farmers are advised to burn the diseased crops.

We see fields burning and Arnie later burns his own infected crops. The countryside is also desolate. Power cuts occur continuously, things are far worse than the authorities pretend.

Maybe not as many Zombies as some would like but the darker aspects of the Zombie Outbreak seem to have been missed by some critics.

Back