• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Tonight at 8 on Radio 4, a documentary on the disastrous Altamont concert which happened 50 years ago this weekend. It's The Archive Hour, and presented by someone who was there, so should be good.

I can thoroughly recommend this doc, it's amazing how much they cram into an hour, we even got the Stones' occult obsession that was swiftly nipped in the bud when people started to die. If you're a Stones fan, it's essential listening, but a fine complement to Gimme Shelter (the film). Not sure about The Grateful Dead called cowards, mind you, sounds like they were pretty sensible!

we even got the Stones' occult obsession that was swiftly nipped in the bud when people started to die.
What? Did they accidentally hex people? As in, they did occult practice type things to be cool and people started dying mysterious deaths or something?

I can thoroughly recommend this doc, it's amazing how much they cram into an hour, we even got the Stones' occult obsession that was swiftly nipped in the bud when people started to die. If you're a Stones fan, it's essential listening, but a fine complement to Gimme Shelter (the film). Not sure about The Grateful Dead called cowards, mind you, sounds like they were pretty sensible!

Will certainly give that an ear.

I went to a symposium on 'Performance' some years ago at the Cornerhouse in Manchester, which opened with CP Lee giving a ritual blessing.
That fillum and other occult-related projects certainly put the wind up Jagger.

Yes, it works! Thank you! I'll have to listen when I have more time. (I've spent so much time on the forum tonight, it's time to go to bed now!)

What? Did they accidentally hex people? As in, they did occult practice type things to be cool and people started dying mysterious deaths or something?

They started to get interested in Satanism, even named their psychedelic album after it, but were more dabblers, and when Brian Jones died it seemed to signal some warning they were messing in forces beyond their control, with Altamont the confirmation of that. Whether they were or it was just the usual humans messing up their lives business, who knows?

Considering how well Keith Richards has been able to bounce back from whatever he ingests, I guess they wouldn't find it logical to believe drugs and alcohol could be the forces beyond their control. Clearly, those forces had to be occult forces.

Vikings series 6 is now available on Prime.

If the standard is as high as previous series, it will be magnificent!

1979 Kate Bush Christmas special on BBC4 Dec 23rd

UK viewers can watch the classic 1979 Kate Bush Christmas TV special just after midnight on Dec 23rd on BBC4 – lovely way to welcome Christmas Eve.

R-5808773-1423930168-7957.jpeg.jpg

‘Kate’ is the official name of a Christmas special that was broadcast on BBC television (UK) on 28 December 1979. It was recorded in October 1979 at the BBC’s Pebble Mill Studios in Birmingham, England with choreography by Anthony Van Laast. Part of the show – the sequence for The Wedding List – had been recorded at South London’s Nunhead cemetery, a 19th-century Gothic cemetery with lots of imposing monuments to eminent citizens of that time. The special was a mixture of pre-filmed sequences, dramatic in-studio set-pieces and a handful of straight performances behind the piano.
The special consists of the following songs:
  1. Violin
  2. Gymnopédie No. 1
  3. Symphony In Blue
  4. Them Heavy People
  5. The Angel Gabriel (with Paddy Bush and Glenys Groves)
  6. Here Comes The Flood (Peter Gabriel)
  7. Ran Tan Waltz
  8. December Will Be Magic Again
  9. The Wedding List
  10. Another Day (with Peter Gabriel)
  11. Egypt
  12. The Man With The Child In His Eyes
  13. Don’t Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
http://www.katebushnews.com/index.php/2019/12/1979-kate-bush-christmas-special-on-bbc4-dec-23rd/

maximus otter

Has anyone watched Mackenzie Crook's new two part Worzel Gummidge mini-series on BBC One? I was looking forward to it when I heard that it was in the works then forgot about it, so it was a nice surprise! I was pleasantly surprised by how dark it was, it's done in an almost Clive Barker style dark fantasy/folk-horror fashion. I don't want to spoil any of it for those who missed it though, I just recommend it very highly.

Has anyone watched Mackenzie Crook's new two part Worzel Gummidge mini-series on BBC One? I was looking forward to it when I heard that it was in the works then forgot about it, so it was a nice surprise! I was pleasantly surprised by how dark it was, it's done in an almost Clive Barker style dark fantasy/folk-horror fashion. I don't want to spoil any of it for those who missed it though, I just recommend it very highly.
The first couple of minutes I was thinking uh oh. But after that it settled down and was very enjoyable. Looking forward to episode two on Friday.

I really enjoyed this- not a planned watch as I really disliked the original Pertwee series, to the extent of leaving the room if it came on or was trailered.
I love the idea that Scarecrows make crop circles to control the seasons. Makes sense and explains why things are out of wack weather wise now.

OK, I wasn't going to watch this, because like @Eyespy I wasn't a dedicated fan of the original (or the books), but because of the recommendation here I caught up with it and... I really liked it! Mackenzie Crook has done a charming job of adaptation, it was funny, well-cast, the kids were great and I'm very pleased Michael Palin has returned to acting in his autumn years. It was even a little spooky in places and the makeup is superb.

Only one thing I could have done without was the extended fart gag, are kids really that entertained by poo and farts these days?!

OK, I wasn't going to watch this, because like @Eyespy I wasn't a dedicated fan of the original (or the books), but because of the recommendation here I caught up with it and... I really liked it! Mackenzie Crook has done a charming job of adaptation, it was funny, well-cast, the kids were great and I'm very pleased Michael Palin has returned to acting in his autumn years. It was even a little spooky in places and the makeup is superb.

Only one thing I could have done without was the extended fart gag, are kids really that entertained by poo and farts these days?!
Erm yes, yes they are.

Erm yes, yes they are.

I remember when the first live action Scooby-Doo movie featured a farting contest and most adults were aghast. Now a decade and a half later it's in Worzel Gummidge! Farting has been normalised! Idiocracy was right! O tempora, o mores...

Wurzel has no digestive system so why would he know about farts?

Worzel did have a large glass of milk, which ended up down his trouser leg and on the floor (!).

Tonight (4th Jan) on BBC2 starting at 20:15
Clive James - Postcard from Sydney
Clive James - Postcard from London
Front Row Late - When Mary Beard Met Clive James.

Next week:
Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming. BBC Scotland 7/1/20 at 22.00, then BBC2 on 8/1/20 at 21:00

Dan Dare R4 EX Sat at 6pm and maybe 12 midnight, followed by Weird tales.
Last nights are on the net, used to listen to Dan Dare on Luxemburg over 60 years back.

On tonight:

Storyville: Jonestown – Terror in the Jungle
9pm, BBC Four

thorough and harrowing two-part doc examines Jones’s rise from fervent San Francisco preacher for wayward youth in the late 1960s to cult leader who was forced to flee the US. A deeply disturbing account of the destructive potential of belief.
Probably on iplayer for a month after.

I'm hoping he doesn't follow the Rev Lionel Fanthorpe's inspiration on Fortean TV and end the episode with a song.

For UK viewers, Wind River is on Ch 4 next Weds. Murder mystery set in snowy Wyoming. Bleak & gritty. Probably available for a while on the All 4 player after that.

Back