• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Has anyone been watching Mystic Britain on the Smithsonian Channel? It's fairly recent, 2019, and I think there are 13 episodes in total. Presented by Clive Anderson.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/mystic-britain/1005751

It's good to find something on freeview that is of interest, when TV is so full of rubbish, even BBC Four seems to be largely made up of repeats.

Has anyone been watching Mystic Britain on the Smithsonian Channel? It's fairly recent, 2019, and I think there are 13 episodes in total. Presented by Clive Anderson.

It's good to find something on freeview that is of interest, when TV is so full of rubbish, even BBC Four seems to be largely made up of repeats.

I've seen a few of those. There's some interesting stuff on Smithsonian - some good WWll stuff, US space stuff, atomic history, this eve there was a Tunguska prog.

I've seen a few of those. There's some interesting stuff on Smithsonian - some good WWll stuff, US space stuff, atomic history, this eve there was a Tunguska prog.

Yeah it's a good channel, also CCXTV has some interesting stuff on, but it's a weird channel with a strange mix of what they show, like The Bold and the Beautiful and the 1964, Orson Welles narrated Winston Churchill documentary The Finest Hours. It's like they can't decide what they want to be about!

Yeah it's a good channel, also CCXTV has some interesting stuff on, but it's a weird channel with a strange mix of what they show, like The Bold and the Beautiful and the 1964, Orson Welles narrated Winston Churchill documentary The Finest Hours. It's like they can't decide what they want to be about!

Never seen or even heard of this one. On looking it up I see it's on freeview ch 23. Will investigate.

This was particularly interesting the other day, when Clive was told about the spirit that lives in Maes Howe on Orkney. This is the 'hogboy'. or Haugbuie, which apparently means 'Ghost of the Tomb' in Norse. I've been inside Maes Howe, but no-one mentioned the Haugbuie back then. Pwrhaps they were too scared, or too reverent.
https://www.stonepages.com/scotland/maeshowe.html
In local folklore, Maes Howe was believed to have been inhabited by a very strong goblin, the Hogboy, perhaps derived from Haugbuie, Norse for Ghost of the Tomb.

This was particularly interesting the other day, when Clive was told about the spirit that lives in Maes Howe on Orkney. This is the 'hogboy'. or Haugbuie, which apparently means 'Ghost of the Tomb' in Norse. I've been inside Maes Howe, but no-one mentioned the Haugbuie back then. Pwrhaps they were too scared, or too reverent.

Yeah I saw this episode the other day and also thought that was very interesting, I had never heard of it. I like the little sketch they kept showing of him.
More about it in the link below. ''The Ancestral Mound Dweller''.

http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/hogboon/index.html

They didn't manage to get across the sound anomalies present in the chamber. There was a device with blinking lights but no real explanation what it was about other than there was 'weirdness' in the sound.

It's not surprising that a chamber comprising hard surfaces & recesses would have an odd effect as regards sound reflections but that part wasn't very clear. You'd probably have to be there to experience it.

Did you notice anything on your visit?

I didn't notice anything like that in Maes Howe, no.

We've had members on this forum who were interested in the sound anomalies in chambered tombs and the like. I'm sure it was important to the builders- although whether they built them deliberately to resonate is another matter.

A musician friend of mine used to like finding the resonant frequency of a pub toilet, and hum at that frequency when other people came in. It was really strange - the sound he made was like some kind of distant machinery or hovering alien spacecraft, and it puzzled many people mightily. But I somehow doubt that tiled pub toilets were designed with that resonant effect in mind.

I'm interested in acoustic responses. I once found a footpath tunnel under the M25 which had a very weird resonance & produced a 'comb filter' effect, an echo with resonance that produced a tone. Very weird. I would've liked to go back with an instrument & recorder. Can't remember exactly where it is now.

ReincarNathan - radio comedy on iplayer

An ex popstar crushed in a meat processing plant accident gets reincarnated as various animals. In this episode he's his granny's cat to pay recompense for the way he treated her as a grandson. Flashbacks from his previous selfish life to his current life as a self-centred cat.

Diane Morgan [Philomena Cunk] plays his spiritual advisor.

5th of September on Channel 5.
The Boy with a Pie for a Head.
Britain’s top neurosurgeons look into the case of Tommy Gregg. A little boy with a pastry skull with a delicious filling of steak and mushroom in a rich onion gravy.

5th of September on Channel 5.
The Boy with a Pie for a Head.
Britain’s top neurosurgeons look into the case of Tommy Gregg. A little boy with a pastry skull with a delicious filling of steak and mushroom in a rich onion gravy.
Is that how Gregg's the bakers got founded?

Interesting-sounding Archive Hour on Radio 4 about how Logan's Run has predicted the future (or the present):
Programme link

On at 8 tonight, or listen again at the link.

The Archive Hour really is a gem, I should listen more often. And the bonus was tonight, Jenny Agutter showed up and brought her Logan's Run script, she had some good points to make as well.

Remember those whale song albums of the 1970s? If you don't, then you've probably heard an extract somewhere. It's their 50th anniversary, and there was a documentary about them on Radio 4 last Thursday:
Programme link

(Might have helped if I'd remembered last Thursday, but I've only just listened to it.) Anyway, it interviews the whale expert behind the original record, and some other people who can fill in the background. I didn't know Scotland was one of the last places to give up whaling (the North East, specifically), nor that military submarines were helpful in making the recordings that changed perception of the whales.

Jimi Hendrix: The Road to Woodstock

On iplayer for 30 days.

He was scheduled to headline the last day Sunday at midnight but everything was running late & the band couldn't get there due to traffic chaos. They eventually played at 9am Monday! - probably the only time he ever played at this time, and some of the crowd had already gone.

The sheer energy of his performance is amazing - everything is played at breakneck speed. The size of his hands is apparent, with extremely long fingers.

Ghosts of Morgan City starting now at 21.00 CET on Travel Channel.
Portals To Hell starting 22.00 CET on Travel Channel.

Not a reminder, but I just started listening to a good Radio 4 play, The Horror of Loch Ness, and with David Warner!
Just realised this is part of The Scarifyers series.

Last edited:
Just found this available to download on the Radio 4 site from 2013, Shared Experience - I Saw a Ghost.

Shared Experience is a new series. Fi Glover and guests sit round a kitchen table to share strange tales that turn out to be unexpectedly common. In the first programme Fi talks to people who've seen a ghost. Fi's guests have come from different places, with different backgrounds; they live very different lives. But they have one experience they all share - the day they saw a ghost and what happened to them after. In Britain, strange tales are more common than you think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03lph1d

Back