• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Killing Escobar

Documentary telling the incredible true story of Scottish mercenary Peter McAleese, who was hired to kill Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar in 1989. With unprecedented access to Peter and other members of his team, this is the first full account of that fateful mission and the dark consequences for those involved.

With full access to McAleese’s personal archive, as well as never-before-seen amateur footage of the operation, Killing Escobar weaves this material alongside dramatic reconstruction and interviews from McAleese and his fellow mercenaries. We also hear from one of Pablo Escobar’s bodyguards, members of America’s DEA and the security chief of the Colombian drug cartel that wanted Escobar eliminated.

The film also provides a deeply personal character study of Peter McAleese, a man trained to fight and kill, and the cost this has had on himself and his family. McAleese actively sought out war and conflict but admits that he, and those close to him, paid a costly price for his desire to seek adventure.

In 1989, McAleese and his friend Dave Tomkins were hired by a Colombian drug cartel to undertake a mission to kill the world’s biggest cocaine dealer, Pablo Escobar. In Colombia, he gathered a select team of ex-Special Forces operatives and began training for a lightning raid on Escobar’s Hacienda. After 11 weeks of intense preparation, the men launched the operation which ultimately led to disaster and would have a devastating effect on McAleese and others.

It goes pear-shaped but a fascinating story. On iplayer.

Killing Escobar

Documentary telling the incredible true story of Scottish mercenary Peter McAleese, who was hired to kill Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar in 1989. With unprecedented access to Peter and other members of his team, this is the first full account of that fateful mission and the dark consequences for those involved.

It goes pear-shaped but a fascinating story. On iplayer.
Tried that, got bored by the long long drooling description of the weaponry. 'We had a load of guns and stuff' would've done.

Tried that, got bored by the long long drooling description of the weaponry. 'We had a load of guns and stuff' would've done.
Fair enough. These were mercenary soldiers - of course they're going to go on about the weapons.

That was only a small part of it though.

Fair enough. These were mercenary soldiers - of course they're going to go on about the weapons.

That was only a small part of it though.
Sounded like he was trying to do this, but unironically -

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...

Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Sounded like he was trying to do this, but unironically -

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...

Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
Fear & loathing in Colombia?

UFO

A four-part docu-series from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Glen Zipper exploring our fascination with unidentified flying objects, and what clandestine influence the American government, lucrative private companies and the military may have in shielding the truth behind extraterrestrial phenomena to further their own agendas.

https://www.sho.com/ufo

maximus otter

Against my better judgement I will probably watch it.
I have just watched season 1.

I would love their 'research' to be genuine but my heart sank when I read that most of the cast were involved with History channels Ancient Aliens series.

Oh well, I shall start to watch season 2 with a hefty dose of scepticism.

I have just watched season 1.

I would love their 'research' to be genuine but my heart sank when I read that most of the cast were involved with History channels Ancient Aliens series.

Oh well, I shall start to watch season 2 with a hefty dose of scepticism.
So far it is pretty much the same as season one. I shouldn't wat h it but I can't help it...

Finished The Terror last night.

I enjoyed it, although I was surprised at how small a role the Tuunbaq played. In fact, it would have been more effective if it hadn't appeared at all. The true terror lay elsewhere.

Finished The Terror last night.

I enjoyed it, although I was surprised at how small a role the Tuunbaq played. In fact, it would have been more effective if it hadn't appeared at all. The true terror lay elsewhere.
This is a discussion that still goes on around Tourneur's 1957 The Night of the Demon. The producer Hal E. Chester decided to feature an actual demon which the director Tourneur was against.

The fillum is based on M.R. James' Casting the Runes in which, while the paper curse is passed around until the Given Hour when the holder dies, no demon is seen. There is a hint of one when a passenger who boards a ship seems to have an animal with him and a scene where passengers cannot be counted accurately because, one assumes, someone is actually the demon.

This conundrum immediately occurred to me when I saw The Terror! :chuckle:

What We Do in the Shadows, Season 3:

aEwa2kqu5XORbmMwdhEHufODcIr.jpg

“…we don’t yet have an official release date for UK fans but judging by the show’s previous seasons, episodes of What We Do In The Shadows don’t tend to cross the pond until two months after the US premiere.

With that in mind, we predict that season three will land in the UK in November 2021.”

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-season-3-release-date/

maximus otter

1) There is a hint of one when a passenger who boards a ship seems to have an animal with him…
2) …a scene where passengers cannot be counted accurately because, one assumes, someone is actually the demon.

1) Casting the Runes

2) Count Magnus

maximus otter

On TV tonight is the film 'Doomwatch' from 1972, in which a doctor is called to investigate pollution on a Cornish island only to discover mutations among the local population.
On my virginmedia it is channel 445 Talking Pictures TV at 10.25pm.

On October 1st at 13.00 on the Horror Channel, you can witness the most awe-inspiring, mind-boggling, bum-quivering spectacle in the history of motion pictures.
You'll scream! You'll gasp. You may even need a change of underwear when you see...
claw.jpg

Looks like the offspring of an unholy coupling between Wilfred Bramble and a parrot.
There's a bit of Rod Hull's Emu, The Great Gonzo and Marty Feldman in there too :)
The appearance of the fearsome beast came as a shock to the cast
In an interview, Jeff Morrow said that no one in the cast saw the title monster until they went to the film's premiere in Morrow's home town. Producer Sam Katzman had contracted with a low-budget model-maker in Mexico City to construct the "Giant Claw," and no one in the cast or crew had any idea it would come out looking as bizarre as it did. Morrow said the audience roared with laughter every time the monster made an appearance. He wound up slinking out of the theater in embarrassment before the film was over so no one who knew him would recognize him.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050432/trivia/?ref_=tt_ql_trv

They are showing 'The Good Doctor' on 'Pick' soon (the US version), starts Sunday 7th Nov @ 9 pm

For Zappa fans, on iplayer-

Zappa

The first all-access documentary - which was years in the making - about the legendary icon, Frank Zappa. It conveys the scope of his prodigious and varied creative output and the breadth of his extraordinary personal and political life.

The documentary team was granted exclusive access by Frank's wife Gail to a vast collection of unreleased music, movies, incomplete projects, unseen interviews and unheard concert recordings. Much of these were deteriorating and in danger of being lost forever.

Back