• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Nomad: In the Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin

Film by Werner Herzog.

Told in Herzog’s inimitable style - full of memorable characters and encounters - this is a portrait of one of the 20th century’s most charismatic writers, which also offers a revealing insight into the imagination and obsessions of one of the 20th century’s most visionary directors.

When legendary writer and adventurer Bruce Chatwin was dying of Aids, his friend and collaborator Werner Herzog made a final visit to say farewell. As a parting gift, Chatwin gave Herzog the rucksack that had accompanied him around the world.

Thirty years later, carrying the rucksack, Herzog sets out on his own journey, inspired by Chatwin’s passion for the nomadic life. Along the way, Herzog uncovers stories of lost tribes, wanderers and dreamers.

He travels to South America, where Chatwin wrote In Patagonia, the book that turned him into a literary sensation, with its enigmatic tales of dinosaurs, myths and journeys to the ends of the world. In Australia, where he and Chatwin first met, Herzog explores the sacred power of the Aboriginal traditions that inspired Chatwin’s most famous book, The Songlines. And in the UK, in the beautiful landscape of the Welsh borders, he discovers the one place Chatwin called home.
Amongst other things Herzog talks about the 50 hours he & a few others spent marooned on a mountain when a storm suddenly blew in, reducing visibility to zero. They dug in & made a hole in the ice to shelter & had to wait for the storm to end in freezing conditions with no food or drink. He sat on Chatwin’s rucksack to get off sitting on ice.

Available on player for a month.

The Da Vinci Code: The True Story
Channel 5
Series 5, Episode 5

Today on Channel 5 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

The film of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, about the two thousand-year-old battle between a mysterious secret society and the orthodox church, enthralled and enraged in equal measure. Is there any truth to this sensational story? This documentary investigates whether or not there was an intimate relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdalene and also visits the ancient, carved Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland, which featured prominently in director Ron Howard's box office hit.
I thought the hack Dan Brown's book was based on another book from the same publisher called Holy Blood, Holy Grail that was written by some documentary writers doing research and putting their spin on some things that they found. What is the name of the producers of the documentary?

I thought the hack Dan Brown's book was based on another book from the same publisher called Holy Blood, Holy Grail that was written by some documentary writers doing research and putting their spin on some things that they found. What is the name of the producers of the documentary?
There’s a HBHG thread here with videos.

Sacha Baron Cohen and his writers know all this. His legal team probably advised that the victim wouldn't sue because he'd look silly or even guilty by taking it seriously, or that it'd be thrown out as frivolous or unfounded.

Or that if it went to court the plaintiff would a. draw attention to his own tarnished reputation and b. lose on the grounds that it was satire and not to be taken seriously.

I see that Sacha Baron Cohen won the $95 million libel case brought against him by Roy Moore.
The three judges all agreed that the sketch was “clearly comedy”.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jul/07/sacha-baron-cohen-defeats-roy-moore-lawsuit

Talking Pictures showing of The Outer Limits continues and on the 19th of August we have Soldier, an episode written by Harlan Ellison which was the subject of a lawsuit by Ellison who claimed The Terminator plagiarised his story.
Fri 19 Aug20:00The Outer LimitsSoldier. 1964. Stars Lloyd Nolan, Michael Ansara & Tim O'Connor. A vicious soldier from the future is teleported back to 1964 and a language expert is given the task of reawakening his humanity.

Talking Pictures showing of The Outer Limits continues and on the 19th of August we have Soldier, an episode written by Harlan Ellison which was the subject of a lawsuit by Ellison who claimed The Terminator plagiarised his story.

The source of @ChasFink ‘s sig line.

maximus otter

Talking Pictures showing of The Outer Limits continues
Yes indeed. I've been enjoying these Friday evening broadcasts.
Looking forward to the one you mention.
There have been several that made me think that they had similarities to modern films etc so I expect that there is quite a bit of 'mining' that goes on through the old episodes of T.O.L and T.T.Z.

Ethel & Ernest

The touching story of Raymond Briggs parents covering 50 years & the events encompassed in that time. Funny & sad in equal amounts & beautifully drawn. Will likely draw a tear at some points. 86 minutes

Also

Snowmen, Bogeymen & Milkmen

Playful, moving portrait of Raymond Briggs, told through interviews with Raymond, animation illustrated by Chris Riddell, and contributions from friends and admirers.
on player for about a month.

Coming to Blaze on 25/08/22 at 22:00, The Flatwoods Monster. A documentary by the Small Town Monsters team about one of the most unusual alien encounters.

That was an excellent episode of T.O.L. last night.
I think that 'The Terminator' did indeed 'borrow' some of it's plot from this episode 'Soldier', but only in part.

I think that 'The Terminator' did indeed 'borrow' some of it's plot from this episode 'Soldier', but only in part.
Just like clothing designers, they all 'borrow' ideas from others and from past designs, that's the business.

I'd heard you guys talking about T.O.L a while ago, and it rang a bell (I think I may have just seen it advertised when looking through the tv guide as a youngster maybe) and last night's was the first one I've seen. It was brilliant stuff. Far ahead of its time I would say.

Another good episode of TOL will be on tonight, starring William Shatner, no less.

Must admit I'm struggling with TOI. I just find it quite daft at times and there are too many 'evil alien' type stories for my liking. Although I appreciate I'm watching it in 2022 and I didn't watch it when it was originally broadcast.

That said, this did give me a laugh when I had covid:

20220628_161215.jpg

'The Outer Limits' episode tonight, "Expanding Human" has an appearance from James Doohan (Star Treks 'Scotty').
8pm in the UK on 'Talking Pictures'.

Tonight's episode of The Outer Limits (on Talking Pictures TV) has Adam West in it (he was the original TV Batman).
So expect some...er... 'remarkable' acting.

Tonight's episode of The Outer Limits (on Talking Pictures TV) has Adam West in it (he was the original TV Batman).
So expect some...er... 'remarkable' acting.
It was pretty lame wasn’t it. Artificial gravity, breathable atmosphere on Mars, gung-ho crew, instantaneous radio communication with Earth, easily escapable monster, fairly wooden acting. Other than that it was great.

I wasn't able to watch it last night so have saved it for this evening.
Sounds terrible.
I'm looking forward to it.

Coming up on Blaze (FREEVIEW 64, SKY 164, SKY GLASS 168, FREESAT 162 AND VIRGIN 216) some documentaries by the Small Town Monsters team.
24/10/22 21:00 The Mothman Legacy
25/10/22 22:00 On the Trail of Bigfoot (S1 E1)
26/10/22 21:00 Skinwalker: The Howl of the Rougarou

Back