• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twenty Three (The Number: Coincidences Involving '23')

Remember that movie, where Jim Carrey ruins his life in pursuit of the Number 23 Mystery?

In the end, he concludes it was because he was looking for it.

Seek, and ye shall find.

krakenten said:
Seek, and ye shall find.
I also find my bill at Lidl today was £23! (Pity about the odd 44 pence though! ;) )

krakenten said:
This seems to be 'An Instance of the Fingerpost'!
I had to look that up!
The title

The four parts of the novel are preceded by Epigraphs taken from Francis Bacon's Novum Organum. The first three quotations describe three of Bacon's four Idols of the mind. The fourth quotation is the source of the title.

etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Instanc ... #The_title
Now, what was this thread about anyway..?

krakenten said:
Remember that movie, where Jim Carrey ruins his life in pursuit of the Number 23 Mystery?

In the end, he concludes it was because he was looking for it.

Seek, and ye shall find.

I remember that movie playing at the local cinema and obviously noted the significance of the weirdness around 23. I continued around the corner to the newsagent to get some cigarettes and there was Sylvester McCoy looking at the magazines. At the till, there was a confusion field and the lady seemed unable to give the correct change to anybody. As if that wasn't odd enough, on leaving the shop, I noticed three ducks having a fight outside the kebab shop across the road.

I admit to thinking that there might be some substance in coincidences related to the number 23. Many years ago I went to see the alternative rock band Psychic TV who were great advocates for '23' coincidences. After the gig, I was waiting for the night bus with a friend of mine, and admitted that I didn't really believe in anything special about the number 23. My friend looked across the road, and started laughing. Virtually all the houses in the street were in darkness, but one house number- an Edwardian type villa with the number painted in glass above the front door - was lit up, And that of course was number 23.
A bit later on the night bus, a mutual acquaintance got on and sat with us. We explained that we had just seen Psychic TV, and he snorted in quite a cynical fashion, and said 'I suppose you are going to tell me that you've just had a number 23 coincidence'.
Just found this article - not by coincidence but by googling the topic:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-facts-about-number-twenty-three-6262624.html

I admit to thinking that there might be some substance in coincidences related to the number 23. Many years ago I went to see the alternative rock band Psychic TV who were great advocates for '23' coincidences. After the gig, I was waiting for the night bus with a friend of mine, and admitted that I didn't really believe in anything special about the number 23. My friend looked across the road, and started laughing. Virtually all the houses in the street were in darkness, but one house number- an Edwardian type villa with the number painted in glass above the front door - was lit up, And that of course was number 23.
A bit later on the night bus, a mutual acquaintance got on and sat with us. We explained that we had just seen Psychic TV, and he snorted in quite a cynical fashion, and said 'I suppose you are going to tell me that you've just had a number 23 coincidence'.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-facts-about-number-twenty-three-6262624.html
You can read up about it in a past issue of FT. That would of course be issue 23...

There is also the Jim Carrey film

220px-Number23.jpg

Back