• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twin Peaks

Inside the Roller-Coaster Journey to Get David Lynch’s ‘Twin Peaks’ Back on TV
“It comes in a burst,” Lynch explains. “An idea comes in, and if you stop and think about it, it has sound, it has image, it has a mood, and it even has an indication of wardrobe, and knowing a character, or the way they speak, the words they say. A whole bunch of things can come in an instant.”

Frost describes a case in point: “I remember him calling me to say, ‘Mark, there’s a giant in Cooper’s room,’” he says. “I learned early on that it was always best to be very receptive to whatever might bubble up from David’s subconscious.”
http://variety.com/2017/tv/features/twin-peaks-revival-david-lynch-showtime-1202419020/

Must admit, I watched Twin Peaks first time around and wished I hadn't bothered. It had beautiful landscapes and weird characters but I didn't like the girl found dead/dead girl's subsequent character assassination plot and the denouement was plain silly. I won't be catching the sequel.

Verrrry tasty, Jim. I know I'm going to find this reboot a whole lot more satisfying than the X-Files reboot. Mostly coz its Lynchy.

Speaking of early 90s reboots, Darren Burrows (Ed Chigliak) had been trying for years to get Northern Exposure started up again. I was on his updates list, which sputtered and died about a year ago. Best for all concerned, I'd say. That is one time capsule that should remain undisturbed. The show's creators (Brand and ... whatsisname - Halsey?? Palsy? ) apparently (according to DB) made FA effort after the second season and the cast became more unhappy by degrees as the other four seasons slowly but surely drained of all spark. The show was a regular highlight of my Thursday evenings for many years, but it would be mighty tough to rebuild the edifice without a creative mover and shaker / true believer like Lynch behind it. Pleasant memories.

Last edited:
Saw episode 1.... fantastic!!! Glad Mr. Lynch has not lost his touch....

Anyone else saw it?

I'm watching the series now, I never watched when it first aired. I'm not sure why I didn't watch probably due to some other show I like that was on at the same time. I never did get into taping shows back then.

It's a strange show with quirky characters but I'm enjoying it.

Hmm, it seems Twin Peaks flavour is rife. I too have started watching. I was left a bit confused about just what exactly was going on, but I will continue to watch hopefully I'll "get it" soon.

:eek:

I love how Lynchie's forehead is where the laugh comes from - right between his two front eyes. Watch closely. He's such a bad actor - can hardly contain his delight.

That 3rd episode opening section in near silence/distorted sound with the no-eye woman was so creepy, and non-tv like. Bought back memories of Eraserhead.

Also "Hellloooo ?" Poor Coop.

:eek:

I love how Lynchie's forehead is where the laugh comes from - right between his two front eyes. Watch closely. He's such a bad actor - can hardly contain his delight.

I was so creeped out by the 'yrev' backwards 'very' at the start.

I have to admit I'd been pushing to finish episodes up to e8. All that Dougie braindead Coop was starting to bore the hole off of me. And I can't stand that Australian actress. Then ... :omg: Lynch went right off the grid with ep8, and finally ... finally, I was mentally violated. Thank you, David.

Please watch episode 8, and tell me what you think is going on. I have my theory, and it rocks. But you first.

I have to admit I'd been pushing to finish episodes up to e8. All that Dougie braindead Coop was starting to bore the hole off of me. And I can't stand that Australian actress. Then ... :omg: Lynch went right off the grid with ep8, and finally ... finally, I was mentally violated. Thank you, David.

Please watch episode 8, and tell me what you think is going on. I have my theory, and it rocks. But you first.

This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within. This is the water, and this is.

The well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within. This is the water, and this is the well. Drink.

Full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.

Got a light?

Oh god I am enjoying TP so much, watching last night's episode I was practically euphoric!

It's remained pretty good. And while the first few episodes were a bit slow going in terms of pacing it's certainly going... somewhere. :)

I like that we are slowly seeing Dale Cooper coming back. Hints. Glimpses of his old self, shining through.

Like the desire for coffee and cherry pie. He's still in there. And he's still got his CIA training as some kind of muscle memory. That's clear. But 25 years in the red room are going to have taken their toll.

Episode 8 was frickin' batshit crazy, but it does pose plenty to think about.

A couple of (non-significant ... I think) scenes that will remain with me for eternity.

1. Michael Cera as Wally "Brando" Brennan

My shadow is always with me
Sometimes ahead
Sometimes behind
Sometimes to the left
Sometimes to the right
Except on cloudy days
... or at night

:sombrero:

2. How to exit stage right

Last edited:
Am currently immersed inside the TP wikia and there is a lot to learn, Have found several links to Thelema and the emergence into our dimension of demonic entities with the first nuclear test at White Sands, NM in 1945.

The 'Experiment' entity that appears in the glass box in the unlit building in NYC and butchers the young lovers in Part 1 and/or 2 may be the goddess Babalon, the Mother of Abominations.

As yet no references to the Islamic State horrorism of recent times, but I'm expecting that to be along, directly or indirectly at some point.

The Blue Rose refers to unsolved ufo and paranormal cases on the FBI files tasked to Gordon Cole and his Blue Rose Task Force, which included Dale Cooper, Philip Jeffries and now, as of Part 12, a newly inducted Tammy Preston. This was the military defense project that followed on in occulted form from Project Blue book, and was overseen by Major Briggs, who was Bobby's father and appears in both decapitated and disembodied form in the current series.

Still 6 episodes to come in this series. Things are getting warm. I'm hooked again.

****SPOILER WARNING! AWOOGA AWOOGA!****

Having the Blue Rose concept fleshed out and clarified was the real highlight of this week's episode.

And was it just coincidence that that Tammy was inducted in a room which in many ways echoes the Red Room? I mean Diane even entered through a red curtain! :)

There were a couple of really strong scenes this week. I'm curious to know who else is in the Palmer house. Sarah Palmer is clearly a very haunted woman 20 years on, but there's clearly more to it than simply the trauma of losing her daughter. When Hawk comes calling to check in on her there is clearly somebody else in the house with her. But who?

Is Richard Horne hiding out there? Who knows.

It was a trying episode in many ways also - he pacing deliberately slow and indulgent, even by Lynch standards. Long pauses, awkwardly long distractions, people talking at cross purposes on the other end of phone line.

And that Audrey Horne scene! Painfully slow. Painfully confusing. And probably not the return which many folks were expecting from such a prominent original series character.

I think we had all assumed that Richard Horne was Audrey son, from what we had seen so far. But there is no acknowledgement of that in this scene, and it's Benjamin Horne who is visited by Sheriff Truman to discuss Richard having knocked that boy down. So maybe not.

We see Audrey argue with her husband, an intense person (and I believe with dwarfism - though it's hard to be certain behind a desk) preoccupied with paperwork, and there is plausible hinting that perhaps this is a marriage of convenience.

The names of the people they discuss we are not familiar with. Billy, Tina, Chuck and Paul. Audrey wants to go to the Roadhouse to look for Billy - who is missing. She tells her husband she has been sleeping with Billy and that she is in love with him, and her husband barely reacts.

He then takes a phone call to interrupt the scene. Which seems to deliver some shocking news which he promises to keep to himself. So he does. To Audrey's annoyance. The whole scene is deliberately uncomfortable and hard to dissect.

Who is Billy?

You may remember a few episodes ago a guy ran into the Double R asking if anybody had 'seen Billy' before running out and onward. Same guy? Maybe. Maybe not.

And that's the nature of Twin Peaks - you're never sure what is important and what is not. I mean take the number of booth conversations we've overheard at the Roadhouse. Some from returning characters. some from new. Names get mentioned, situations referred to. How many of those MEAN something?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

How many of those MEAN something?
That is so right.
I suspect Lynch might be continuing an experiment into human/viewer obsession. It is hard to know what to focus on in case you miss something significant, his tapestry is so dense with symbolism. Re-watching is a must. Heading back to the redroom to go re-view parts 6 and 7 directly.

You may remember a few episodes ago a guy ran into the Double R asking if anybody had 'seen Billy' before running out and onward. Same guy? Maybe. Maybe not.
The wikia says this was actually Lynch's own son Riley who is also the lead guitarist in the band at the end of part 5:
"Lynch reappears in Part 7 as the man rushing into the Double R Diner, credited as "Bing."

It does very much feel like while we've all been trying to reconcile the stuff in foreground, Lynch has been telling a whole other story in the background, purely through glimpses and reported events. I find it hard to believe that there is no purpose in those booth scenes.

Back