• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twin Peaks

At the end of today's nap, my dream was penetrated by a beautiful song.

Scene: night: I was moving furniture and belongings from our old childhood home into a house across the road which was not known to me but yet so familiar on the inside. The music that I began hearing was so sad, yet so beautiful. I woke up to the end of Twin Peaks episode ten playing on the TV in my bedroom. This is that beautiful song, as it was on TP.

Bigscreen this for maximum impact. Serious shades of Kubrick's 'stargate' sequence from 2001.
WARNING: STROBOSCOPIC EFFECTS, this is Lynch.

This is the water. And this is the Well.

Some of you might enjoy this. David Stratton is Australia's preeminent film critic and a film maker himself. He gets the Wall a few times, but more often than not Lynch's responses are a bit inspired. Really enjoying listening to him talk about his conceptualisation experiences.

Having watched this week's episode a friend of mine (and some time board frequenter) believes it may have further confirmed a theory of hers.

***SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON SO FAR BELOW***

That Lynch has been screwing with time throughout this season. Not just the new mexico flashback. The chronology of the whole season has not been at all as we've seen it. Like time is passing differently when we focus on different sets of characters.

She said she got that hunch when she noticed that over the first few episodes we'd had multiple night scenes at the Roadhouse but in the same number of episodes we only on the second day of Dale Cooper having replaced Dougie Jones.

And it's not just day scene in one place followed by a night scene in another, or vice versa. Sometimes it is in presumably the same State. Like sitting down to breakfast with the Joneses in Nevada, followed by a scene with Duncan Todd (who appears to also be in or around Las Vegas) at night, before cutting back to the Joneses, continuing where we left off.

She pointed out that we do see dates mentioned. But they don't always add up.

In episode 9 they find the notes from Major Briggs, with the dates of what he is alluding to happening mentioned as 10/1 and 10/2. To which (the other) Sheriff Truman responds that's '2 days from now'. so we assume this conversation is occurring on September the 28th.

But in the same episode, over Buchorn, Hastings signs that photo to confirm that the man he met was Major Briggs. He dates it 9/20. So do we assume that the Buckhorm scenes are like a week behind those scenes between Hawk, Bobby and Truman in Twin Peaks?

More than 2 days has been presented to us since that episode.

Furthermore when Bobby came in the RR this week he's talking to Norma and Ed Hurley (Yes, Ed!) about having found some of his 'father's things today'. Which would suggest this scene may have happened the same day Hawk, Bobby and Truman went to see Briggs' widow.

Also this week we have Shelley answering the phone in RR, to find her daughter Becky distraught that her junkie husband Stephen hasn't been home in two days and she's worried about him. Well the last time we saw those two she knew exactly where he was. He was with another woman and she was taking her mother's car to hunt him down. She was not worried. She was livid. Can we assume this also happened before those events?

Maybe. Maybe not.

And if we're playing fast and loose with time, then can we be sure that the scene we saw between Audrey Horne and Husband Charlie this week didn't happen before last week's.

Last week she's demanding they go to the Roadhouse to look for Billy, who she's been sleeping with. Charlie's irate. Irritable.

This week he's calm. And Audrey's doubting whether they should go to the Roadhouse.

There's definitely something going on. I can't believe that these are just continuity issues. Not with Lynch.

Interesting. That all makes sense. Let's also consider the fact that we have Major Briggs headless corpse aged in his 40s when he ought to be in his 70s. Big hint there. There's also a rumour afoot that this season is actually an 18 hour movie. Time is on everyone's mind.

Ep8 was the one that really piqued my interest. The scene inside the dark tower featuring ??????? and Senorita Dido is quite revealing. Regarding the name 'Dido' the wiktionary offers this:
Latin
Etymology
From dis- +‎ *dō.

Pronunciation
Verb
dīdō (present infinitive dīdere, perfect active dīdidī, supine dīditum); third conjugation

1. I give out, spread abroad, disseminate, distribute, scatter.
Well that is what she seemed to do releasing the Laura/orb into the world in a gesture of love, possibly as a timely antidote to the Bob spirit released as the gates of hell were opened by manmade nuclear fission in the White Sands scenes. I see the 2 characters in the dark tower scene as Mother Earth/Nature and Father Time, and the strange process we see as a conception and birth. This is also how I interpret Kubrick's stargate sequence in 2001 A Space Odyssey, which this episode does mirror to some extent. The scene depicts the emergence of a new paradigm, conceived by the two characters, perhaps to be embodied in an enlightened Cooper at some point in the series.

I think Lynch is expressing his vision of a world that has been struggling with its aeons old subjective consciousness and emerging out of that into a new experience of existence which is unfettered by subjective consciousness and instead is ruled by pure objectivity - which some suggest is the true enlightened state of innocent consciousness from which humanity fell at the event of banishment. All purely speculative, of course.

Other things noticed...

Still no word on if there was somebody else in the Palmer house when Hawk visited. Sarah Palmer does appear not just to be drinking a LOT, but to be willfully and avidly watching the same black and white 20 second clip of a boxing match. Looped, over and over.

Was it just me or did Richard seem to recognise Doppelcoop when the gang were watching him interrogate Ray at The Farm. We do not know who his parents are, only his grandparents. It is largely assumed that Audrey Horne could be his mother. And in which case it is plausible that while his father appears to have been absent all his life he is the product of the brief dalliance between Audrey and Dale Cooper in the original series. Maybe Richard knows this.

Although, yeah, it's the doppelganger/BOB he'd be watching.

And then there's the 'that's for nursery school teacher' line as the old Boss nudges doppelcoop. The only nursery teacher we know of was killed by Richard.

I'm still paying attention to those booth scenes at the Roadhouse. This week it was a woman I don't believe we've seen before, crying as she is moved by the performance on stage. A performance by none other than James Hurley, replaying the song he wrote and performed in the original series. No Donna and Maddy to sing along accompaniment for him though.

And no, the song has not improved in 25 years. It remains awful. :)

***SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON SO FAR BELOW***

That Lynch has been screwing with time throughout this season. Not just the new mexico flashback. The chronology of the whole season has not been at all as we've seen it. Like time is passing differently when we focus on different sets of characters.
Today's episode 14 really backs all of this theory up. I wouldn't say things have moved 'forward' as such since we're not following a linear script here, but a few more pieces of the puzzle came down and there'll be a place for them on the game board somewhere. It was a great episode with much choice oddness. Grace Zabriskie's Sarah Palmer is chilling.

I follow this analyst. He's pretty good at his work. This video addresses your friend's theory directly, CI.

SPOILERS AHOY.

Well, wasn't this week's episode a massive Pay Off?

******* WARNING. QUITE DETAILED SPOILERS BELOW ********

So, we finally have Coop back! And it only took a major shock to the system in order to achieve it...

That moment is basically what we've been hoping for for the past 14 odd episodes. And not a moment too soon...

But that, ironically, was not the most interesting thing about the episode.

Things have been progressing of late. No further pickup on The Fireman, his conversation with Andy in the Lodge, or his empowering random cockney's with magical gloves. Or why David Bowie appears to have transformed into a talking steam powered boiler...

Still...

What now for Richard Horne? Is that really his end? Used as bait to test a trap, by doppelcooper? Or is there more to this? The effect used seemed to show him being taken apart almost atom by atom. But does that really mean that he's actually dead, or simply taken apart to be reconstructed somewhere else?

These appear to all be traps designed to snare the Bob entity. But not to necessarily to destroy him.

Doppelcoop does refer to him posthumously as 'my son', though. So is/was he the son of Cooper and Audrey as previously speculated.

And then we have Diane.

Well, that was a surprise!

So we get to finally find out what Doppelcoop did to her, and it is pretty much as many of us may have feared. That scene is brilliantly tense. You can see in Gordon's eyes that he expects her to pull a gun, we know she has a gun, but in the end she doesn't get to fire it.

Only then it gets weird. Diane is not Diane. She's a Tulpa. Wearing her face, seemingly owning her memories, but not actually her.

This perhaps explains how even though Doppelcoop messed her up she's still doing his bidding...

Makes you wonder if the real Diane is even still alive.

Hell, a lot of people wondered if Diane was even real in the original series. We never saw her her, never met her. She was just the individual who Coop referred to when he recorded voice memos on his dictaphone.

Heck for all we know she always was a Tulpa, created by the real Agent Cooper himself!

So many questions...

Speaking of questions, we still didn't get an answer as to who was in the Palmer house when Hawk visited Sarah Palmer. But it seems that perhaps that was now the wrong question.

It's more of question of who was inside Sarah Palmer.

Because we know now that it certainly seems to look like the entity from Episode 8, which birthed Bob, is inside of her. The question though, is for how long?

Some people have speculated that Sarah Palmer might have been the little girl from Episode 8, for whom that freaky half frog/half beetle thing climbed into her mouth as the smoking obsessed Black Lodge Woodsman spoke on the radio.

Could that be?

Because her responses to Bob in the original series were ones of genuine fear. Fear over not knowing the man she kept on seemingly hallucinating i her house. The man who was, as we now know, inhabiting the body of her husband.

And finally we have AUDREY.

Poor Audrey Horne, with her quirky looking husband Charlie, and internal anguish over where the Roadhouse is, and if she should go there.

Well, this week she finally got there. And if we thought that might yield some kind of answers to the weird dynamic between her and Charlie? We shouldn't have.

After the usual musical act on stage, the compere announces that it now time for 'Audrey's Dance' - to which Audrey gets up from her stool and genuinely does begin to dance to the incidental music most connected with her in the original series...

After which she appears to wake up, staring in anguish at her own reflection in what appears to be a very bright white space.

So... what the hell??? :)

It certainly doesn't appear that Audrey is in the physical world of the rest of the series. Did she even survive the explosion at the bank at the end of the original series? Is she in some kind of coma? WHAT'S GOING ON?????

:)

It did get me thinking also... the compere. A grey haired African-American gentleman in a light coloured suit. Has he been in every Roadhouse scene? I remember him i recent wees, but not from earlier on in the series.

If he was in Audrey's 'dream' (for want of a better term) are all the scenes which he introduces part of that same dream world? Is that implausible?

I've not been reading the posts above so as not to spoil my (eventual) enjoyment - but is there any word about when/where the series will transfer to 'free' TV? I am struggling with myself about getting a subscription - but for one programme? Arrggh! ;)

I doubt it will get to FTA TV, since the franchise is now owned by the independent netlinked channel. You could just go to Demonoid and download it.

Interesting point (maybe) about the end credits. They refer to each episode as "this film" and "this motion picture" just as would a feature film. Isn't that unusual for a television series?

A little unusual, yes. it's not like they are feature length either.

Someone on Youtube suggested this series is designed as a single movie broken up into parts rather than a series of independently produced episodes that are sequentially plotted. Only one director of all eps - DL himself. There are several levels of action operating concurrently but in different dimensional scenarios that transcend linear time - as you suggested earlier.

Intriguing man, Mr Lynch.

Having watched the finale, I have thoughts...

*******************************HEAVY BLOODY SPOILER WARNING. REALLY. AWOOGA. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.***********************

So, I am left with mixed feelings about the finale. I never expected Lynch to tie everything up neatly, but nether did I entirely expect him to take a sudden U-Turn in the last 30 minutes of the show.

Because that's effectively what we have here.

Right up to the point that the two episodes separated everything looked as if it was coming together. Freddie and his power-fist fulfilling its purpose. Lucy being dragged away by Andy as he'd seen in the Fireman's vision.

Things were looking good. We even had the real Diane back.

Then things start to go off-piste. Coopers room key. So are we to presume that the Great Northern have remodeled extensively in the past 25 years, and that Coopers old room is now in the boiler room? James has seen that door before, of course. A couple of episodes earlier, hearing the hum.

And before we know what? Modern day Cooper is back in Fire Walk With Me. Moments before the set-up to Laura's murder.

And as of that moment, everything changes.

Everything.

Now if you've read this far, and thought 'It's okay, I've not been too far spoiled so far'? Stop. Because I'm going to summarise the rest, in trying to get my head around it. Seriously. Go away. Watch the episode.

The rest of season may as well not have happened. Because, in a fashion, it might not actually have ever happened. Depending on how you interpret the last scene.

As I read it, in trying to intervene in past events Cooper has fundamentally changed the timeline of the original series. Or plausibly stepped into a completely different dimension.

Coop stops Laura wandering off and into the events which would result in her death. We see a recap of the start of the first episode of the original series, with Laura's plastic wrapped body disappearing from the shoreline outside. We watch Pete Martell tell his wife he's going fishing, walk out the door and away with no body to be found. History has changed.

Cooper is unable to actually take Laura Palmer back to his present. We don't know why. He leads her through the woods back towards that portal at 'Jack Rabbits Palaces'. He gets so close, but the second he turns his back on her she has disappeared accompanied by her trademark scream.

And again we're back to whatever the version of Laura in the Red Room whispered into Coopers ear. We still don't know what that was. But it seems to have in some way informed him to drive on a certain road at a certain time. Allowing him and Dianne to go some place else. Some place where the day shifts to night and they keep on driving. A journey which Diane removes herself from, but leads Coop to Odessa, Texas, and to find a woman who certainly appears to look like Laura Palmer.

How we progress from Laura dematerialising in a Forest to 'Carrie Page', an Odessa based waitress who appears to have a rotting corpse of a man she may or may not have shot, still sat in her living room? We don't know. Is she really Laura? Another doppelganger? We don't know.

Carrie has no knowledge of a Laura Palmer. Of Sarah or Leland Palmer. When Coop takes her back to the Palmer House in Twin Peaks, it's not the Palmer House. The current occupants don't now those people, and certainly claim that the past two owners of the house were not the Palmers.

Which leads us to that final statement from Cooper. 'What year is it?' And Carrie looking up at the House and screaming as all its lights go out and we hear breaking glass.

So what are we to take from this? It's a hell of a conclusion, and that final line is going to stay with folks as much as 'How's Annie' from the original series.

But what's the deal?

Is this the future? Is this the past? We have no way of knowing.

It's possible that somehow Cooper and 'Carrie' ended up in the past. Carrie because Laura slipped back there when she disappeared from Cooper's grasp. And Cooper because that's where that road led him.

Let's say that in this new timeline we Coop and Carrie are standing in 1989, in front of the same house as where all of this began. Only the Palmers never lived there. It's another family. Who might be about to go through the same horrible set of events.

Equally it's entirely possible that this is years into the future, and we are watching history about to repeat in a different fashion.

In many ways it's a very suitable end to a series.

In others it is, of course, quite frustrating. But I'll post separately on that.

I think anybody who was expecting a coherent, spoon fed, clear conclusion to Twin Peaks was fooling only themselves.

That said, I think that there is plenty to feel more than a little bit hacked off about. Here are my grievances.

1) Richard and Linda - Two names floating around. The Giant/Fireman said they were key to understanding this, but in the end the nearest we get is a note we presume from Dianne left to Cooper after their uncomfortable night together.

Aliases? Have they used them before.

2) That uncomfortable sex scene - In which Dianne seems to have had to cover Coopers face, presumably in order to block out the thought of Doppelcooper having raped her.

This entire scene seems agitated. Dianne's demeanor seemed to entirely change after seeing...

3) Dianne's Tulpa? - While waiting for Coop to get a room at the motel she sees what appears to be another version of herself, emerge from behind a pillar. It is unclear what happens next. The two may even have switched places.

It also not implausible that if they have strayed int a different Universe then this might BE an alternate universe's Dianne.

4) Is that a different motel - Is it just me, or was the motel Dianne and Coop entered different to the one Coop exits the following morning. And a different car?

5) The entity - The finale kinda begins with Gordon Cole describing the Entity which has been named 'Judy' as a shorthand. The entity which we saw in Episode 8, giving birth to Bob. Presumably the entity we saw in Manhattan in the season opener episodes, which killed those two people.

It certainly looked like it was also this entity which had possessed Sara Palmer. We saw it when she 'opened' her face in that bar and killed that guy.

So what happened? Is it i still in Sarah Palmer. If the timeline has changed did it ever even enter Sarah Palmer.

6) Episode 8 - Still no explanation of pretty much anything in that episode. The radio broadcast. 'This water. And this is the Well'. Frog/Beetle things crawling into people's mouths. None of this was actively addressed. And therefore it just remains speculation on a fever dream with nothing much to show for it.

7) Richard Horne - Killed by some kind of trap set for Doppelcooper. We still don't know who his parents are. We only speculate. We know nothing of his story with any kind of clarity. He *may* be the plausible son of Audrey and Cooper. But then again...

8) Audrey Horne - So what happened here. So many weird interludes with Audrey. And her Dance. Only for her to wake up seemingly in a hospital gown, in a white room, gasping at herself in a mirror.

What. Did. Any of that. Mean?

9) The roadhouse scenes - So many conversations. So many other things be eluded to that were going on in the town of Twin Peaks, but only referenced by others in passing. Was any of that even real? Or part of Audrey Horne's fractured dream/vision/whatever?

10) Who the hell was BILLY? - Seriously?! The biggest red herring of the season? Audrey talks about Billy. People in Roadhouse booths talk about Billy - trying to work out who the last person to see him was. A guy runs into the RR Diner shouting if anybody has SEEN Billy.

We never meet a Billy. That thread goes literally nowhere.

11) What the hell is with the weird guy with the facial injury, sitting in a cell in the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department. All he does is repeat everything anybody says. He is never explained.

Hell, he could be Billy for all we know...

12) How/Why was Major Briggs head and body separated? And what was responsible for the difference in his physical age?

13) Who/What is The Fireman? Or the Giant if you're going by the original series.

14) Why is everybody turning into giant boilers/kettles? Like Phillip Jeffries (David Bowie). We've seen one of these in the Fireman's abode. We seen entire rooms filled with them, in background shots?

Are they ways of containing a human Soul or something? Gordon Cole refers to Jeffries as not really being alive any more. But as we've seen, he's not dead either. He can be contacted. He can influence people in the real world. It's how he managed to make moves to oppose Doppelcooper.

15) The Black Lodge Woodsmen - What were they? Why were they? What the heck was going on? Still no answer of any kind.

16) How's Annie? - Seriously. I can understand the difficulty of getting Heather Graham back to work on this series, but why no explanation at all on what happened to sch an important character from the conclusion of the original series?

I'm sure others will come to me. But I can't help but feeling that's too many questions left unanswered.

And we've already essentially been told there will not be another season.

ace-of-spaces.jpg

twinpeaksepisode11-6.jpg

twin-peaks-finale-recap-laura-palmer-carrie-page-audrey-horne.jpg

Jeffries-8.jpg

images

il_340x270.1140496984_kqoq.jpg

img_98091.jpg

chinese_symbols_for_infinity_7087_2_1502.png

twin.png

Last edited:
Holy shit! Someone has synced the two final eps (which were screened consecutively and back to back) after a rumour was floated that they are designed to be viewed this way. I'm 20 minutes in, and I like the way it is resonating. I like it a lot.

edit: dead link - that was quick. Sure someone will put one up again soon.

Last edited:
Ok. That was an eye opener. Incredible.

I wonder if all of the episodes are paired to be synced like that. Or perhaps are able to dovetailed in any order to sync together. That could explain so many loooong pauses in some scenes empty of dialogue with characters just staring at one another. A multitudinous arrangement that alters your interpretation with each possible combination of episodes.

Or what if all 18 episodes can be viewed together simultaneously and each pattern of one hour of action fills a space in the other eps to reveal, as a whole, a single multi-dimensional tapestry. What a concept.

Truly a work of artistic genius. Lynch, the transcendental meditator has transcended linear organisation and subverted the entire idea of a linear plot.

So much more than television.

I'm going to have to give that a proper viewing. The concept of such synchronicity intrigues me...

Or what if all 18 episodes can be viewed together simultaneously and each pattern of one hour of action fills a space in the other eps to reveal, as a whole, a single multi-dimensional tapestry. What a concept.
Haha - somebody actually synced all 18 episodes. Get it while it's hot, folks. It'll probably be ripped down faster than a teenage tryst.

Btw, anybody else hear "The Locomotion" melody in Badalamenti's opening title track? Slower tempo, but try singing it as you listen. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now, Come on baby, do the Lo..." etc

Haha - somebody actually synced all 18 episodes. Get it while it's hot, folks. It'll probably be ripped down faster than a teenage tryst.

Heh. I actually watched that - I don't have Showtime, so I figured I might as well watch all 18 episodes at once.
It was probably no more confusing than anything David Lynch ever made. :D

Still waiting for a season 3 box set or Amazon Video broadcast... Bloody Sky.

I don't have Showtime
Scratch that, we apparently do have Showtime, and I only just now found out about it.:eek:
It was all part of some odd cable-box switcheroo thingy we had to do last month. We ended up with the premium cable package, wonder of wonders.

All the excitement may be over, but I can still watch the series on demand. :clap:
Now I just have to carve out a slice of TV viewing time.

I'd say it's definitely worth watching.

Granted a lot of the series doesn't have a huge bearing on anything consequential, and don't go in expecting coherent answers. But I'm glad I stuck with it.

Other things noticed...

And then there's the 'that's for nursery school teacher' line as the old Boss nudges doppelcoop. The only nursery teacher we know of was killed by Richard.

I'm still paying attention to those booth scenes at the Roadhouse. This week it was a woman I don't believe we've seen before, crying as she is moved by the performance on stage. A performance by none other than James Hurley, replaying the song he wrote and performed in the original series. No Donna and Maddy to sing along accompaniment for him though.

And no, the song has not improved in 25 years. It remains awful. :)

I am ridiculously late to this party. I was(am) a huge fan of the original two series, and only this weekend managed to watch the full S3. Overall, really liked it, can't answer many of the questions raised, can imagine it was fairly impenetrable to anyone who hadn't been there for S1 and 2. I can, however, confidently answer the above. There may be a link to the teacher, but I think this is more linked to DoppleCoop offending the gang. He said something along the lines that they were kindergarteners or nursery school kids. Hence the affronted boss's comment about the nursery school teacher.

Also James's song is still awful! Having said that, I liked his character much more this time round. Back in the day I found him an insufferably mopey wet blanket. I much preferred bad boy Bobby!

I am ridiculously late to this party. I was(am) a huge fan of the original two series, and only this weekend managed to watch the full S3. Overall, really liked it, can't answer many of the questions raised, can imagine it was fairly impenetrable to anyone who hadn't been there for S1 and 2. I can, however, confidently answer the above. There may be a link to the teacher, but I think this is more linked to DoppleCoop offending the gang. He said something along the lines that they were kindergarteners or nursery school kids. Hence the affronted boss's comment about the nursery school teacher.

Also James's song is still awful! Having said that, I liked his character much more this time round. Back in the day I found him an insufferably mopey wet blanket. I much preferred bad boy Bobby!

James' development was certainly welcome. Not just a wet but he was such a pointless character for large parts of the original series. His Road Trip - and working on that car for the married woman who tried to set him up for murdering her husband. Added nothing to the series.

I also like what they've done with Bobby. He's grown up into a very different character. But at no point does it feel implausible.

I also like what they've done with Bobby. He's grown up into a very different character. But at no point does it feel implausible.

Yes, I agree. I really liked the emphasis they had on his relationship with his dad. Back in the day, rebel Bobby had little time or patience for the major until that very sweet scene when Briggs senior told him about his dream and vision of the man he saw Bobby to be. It was nice to see that vision worked out. It was also good to find out that he and Shelly got together and at least remained friends, even if it didn't work out.

Back