• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twins & Other Birth Multiples (Triplets, Etc.)

A

Anonymous

Finnish twins joined in death

Seventy-year-old twin brothers have died within hours of one another after separate accidents on the same road in northern Finland.

The first of the twins died when he was hit by a lorry while riding his bike in Raahe, 600 kilometres north of the capital, Helsinki.

About two hours later, his brother crossed the same road on his bicycle and was also hit and killed by a lorry.

He died just 1.5km from the spot where his brother was killed.

"This is simply a historic coincidence. Although the road is a busy one, accidents don't occur every day," said police officer Marja-Leena Huhtala.

Police in Raahe say that it is unlikely that the second man knew that his brother had already been killed, as they had not yet informed the family of the accident.

"It made my hair stand on end when I heard the two were brothers, and identical twins at that. It came to mind that perhaps someone from upstairs had a say in this," said Ms Huhtala.

Many twins believe they share a mysterious connection to each other, and can feel each other's pain or distress.

But it is thought extremely rare for deaths to occur within such a short space of time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1858000/1858721.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
Twin Thing

A weird thing happened to me yesterday, that I suppose could be put down to coincidence, but it wigged me out when it happened. This is not a word of a lie. I promise.

I have just started a new job working with the public and yesterday a family came into where I work. Mam, Dad, son and twins. Two really normal looking girls both dressed in the same clothes (as some parents insist on doing??). The twins must have been 7 or 8. So Im talking to the Dad, sorting out some toys which he came into buy for Christmas. I turn and was about to say to the twins "So, are you two looking forward to Christmas"? But before I could one of them said 'We are so excited, I'm getting a bike and my sister is getting a mobile'

I said "Oh, are you now"?? I was then going to say something along the lines of "You guys will have to make sure you're good girls until Christmas then" But before I could get my words out they said "We have been so good for Mummy and Daddy and we are going to be extra special nice until Christmas"

The thing was they giggled when they pre-empted me in what I was going to say, almost as if they knew what I was thinking.

So I thought I'd try and catch them out by asking them a specific question and as I was about to say "Whats your Dads name" one of them started singing that "Hey Mickey" song......(dont know who it was by but its that..hey mickey your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind, hey mickey) and F**K Me, when I took the blokes details his first name was Micheal.

That freaked me out. And now I have typed it out, its more weird than when I was telling my girlfriend last night.

Well, on one level I suppose the questions about christmas would tie in with what young kids would be thinking about this time of year anyway. And the song could just be something they sing around their dad because of his name.

But on another level. Twins. spooky! :eek!!!!:

like the kids in The Shining...or League of Gentlemen...

Twins - very spooky.

There is quite a lot of evidence on the telepathic link between twins - twins who take turns in speaking sentences and the old chestnuts of twins seperated at birth who lead freakingly similar lives and 'know' when their sibling dies etc etc.

Never heard of outward telepathy as a consequence of being a twin.

Hmmm - evolution in progress? :hah:

I just thought I would share an intriguing observation and invite comment:

I teach at a College of further education and amongst my students is a pair of twins. They can not be identical twins, as they are male and female, nevertheless they are spookily similar in appearance, voice and mannerisms. (Some of my unkinder Colleagues refer to them as the Midwitch Cuckoos!)
It was quickly noted that the work they handed in was identical, down to spelling mistakes and punctuation.
They were always at the same place with their work, and both were ready to take their exams at the same time.
I ensured that they did not sit next to each other; in fact, I arranged it so that they could not even see each other.

I was astounded, as I invigilated the exam, to observe that they were completely in sync with each other. At any given time they would be typing the same word, even - as far as I could judge - the same letter.

When I marked their work, it was identical - as if I were looking at two copies of the same print out! (I wasn't - I checked that out!)

They both passed, I'm pleased to say.

I'd heard of this kind of 'parallel thinking' between twins, but never observed it before. It was quite remarkable to behold.

Anyone else come across anything like this?

Afraid not.

My sister and I are twins, and despite our identical appearance, having lived a fair few miles apart for most of our adult life I cant say I recall anything so spooky as you describe. Having said that, you don't mention the age of the twins you teach. Maybe such 'parallel thinking' is 'grown out of' after a certain point, as with ideas about other kinds of paranormal abilities?
I must ask my Mum whether she remembers any odd goings on when my sister and I were younger. Will let you know if I find out anything interesting, though I'm sure I'd have heard stories of it by now!

I ensured that they did not sit next to each other; in fact, I arranged it so that they could not even see each other.

I was astounded, as I invigilated the exam, to observe that they were completely in sync with each other. At any given time they would be typing the same word, even - as far as I could judge - the same letter.

I am slightly puzzled by this statement, as it appears to be contradictory. You cannot tell which word a person is typing unless you stand over them (unless you had some kind of monitoring equipment etc.) Since one twin could not see the other, you would not have been able to see both at once to see if they were typing the same word, so how do you know they were synchronised?

In a polite and courteous way, I am also slightly sceptical about the identical nature of their work. Either you are mistaken and it was at least slightly different, or if it was truly identical, some form of collusion is indicated (in which case there should have been an investigation before awarding them a pass in the exam, I would think). Likewise their preparatory work.
Some chap in Bristol a few years ago got the marks required for an honours degree, but his answers were so similar to the model answers, they simply didn't believe he wasn't cheating. In the end they gave him an ordinary degree pass, despite his protestations of innocence.

Having said these things, there is definitely a tendency for twins to wear similar clothes, have a similar hairstyle, speak with similar mannerisms etc. This was borne out by a survey in the USA, where identical twins who were separated in early life (some didn't even know they had a twin) were surveyed and introduced to each other on TV. Thanks for an interesting post.

Bill Robinson

My sons are non-identical twins and they don't even look like brothers!

Chris takes after his father's side of the family in looks and character, and Tom after mine.

Carole

Yes – it is confusing; I’m sorry I’ve been a bit vague about the details – I was trying to avoid anything that could identify the people I’m talking about.
Basically they are doing an IT course, and the exam consists of several sections covering Word-processing, Databases, Spreadsheets, Graphs and DTP. Some parts are very prescriptive with the candidate having to follow precise instructions, and naturally the printouts, if correct, will be very similar for all students. However, other parts give the candidate free choice about a lot of things, and that is what I found remarkable; whenever they were free to make a choice, the twins made identical choices! They made the same mistakes - for example, missing a full stop of the end of a sentence in exactly the same place. Also, as I said, they kept pace with each other – at any given time they would be on the same section of the exam, which is not usual.
As far as the seating arrangements were concerned, they were facing away from each other with a bank of PC’s in between, so they could not directly see each other. I was on my feet, walking about the room, so could monitor both at the same time. I did have to walk a few paces from one to the other, but given this limitation, it did seem to me that they were within a few keystrokes of each other.
I’m not seriously suggesting that anything preternatural was going on, it seems to me that they just have convergent tastes and abilities. But it was quite a spooky thing to behold!

If these two twins are truly communicating psychically and filling in the exact same answers to the quiz, this would be a major scientific event- possibly of the century!

You owe it to Science to have these twins tracked down and subjected to intense psychological and neurological scrutiny, and that's just a start! How come nobody else has picked up on this?

There is a simple way to determine whether they are linked psychically, or otherwise communicating during the exam, or whether it is just a result of them living and studying the material together.

Get the twins, and if possible a few other people to agree to be part of an experiment. (Always get the subject's consent. In this instance, you don't necessarily have to tell them the exact nature of the experiment, just tell them you're looking into teaching and studying techniques.) Where possible, try and get groups that are known to study together in pairs or trios.

The experiment will involve getting the group to study a text, preferably one they haven't encountered before, and then answer a mixture of questions, some multiple choice, others short answer, and, if possible, one or more essay questions.

Set aside a complete day (at least) for the experiment. If you have a lot of money, you could hire a hotel or similar and make a weekend of it, but that will require a lot more work.

At the beginning of the day, randomly select the text to use (always have a few options). Randomly assign people to study groups, making sure that any previous study groups are broken up. (This reduces the randomness, particularly in a small group, but if you have time, you can do it a few times with different texts, and different groups to get a better picture.) Also randomly assign each person a number. (Ideally the people marking the test at the end should not know the identity of the subjects.)

Distribute the text, and send the randomised groups to different rooms (where possible) to study and discuss the text. After giving them enough time to do a thorough examination of the text, get them to take the prepared questions, where possible keeping the groups seperate. (Ideally, none of the groups should have had an opportunity to talk to any other groups.)

Ideally (there's that word again), you should have video cameras on each subject so that you can compare progress of any group of individuals, particularly your twins, but this would cost a lot of money. You could just do it the way you did in the previous exam, but it might be an idea to get someone else to make the observations.

When the exam is over, have a group of markers examine the papers, and get them to match any answers on the papers that look like they may be a result of cheating or incredibly similar thought processes. (Do this for each question, not for the whole papers.) Once this has been done, match the student numbers to the actual people, and see if there are any patterns, such as whether the twins have a large correlation in their answers, or any other previous study partners, or a similarity in the current study groupings.

As I said above, the more times you can repeat this with different study groups each time, the better (having another set of data where the twins are allowed to work together is also helpful). Remember, before starting another session, re-randomise the groups and the student numbers.

As you can see, this could be an awful lot of work and trouble, and this is just a basic study. If we wanted to do it properly, we'd need a large group of subjects, including multiple sets of identical and fraternal twins, as well as non-twins, and taking several weeks (or at least weekends) over the process. On the other h and, it would provide an interesting look at twin synchrony (synchronicity? Somethnig like that.) (Actually I don't think this simple version would be too much trouble, I've probably just made a hash of explaining it properly. If you actually want to try this, let me know and we can go over the procedure in more detail, and hopefully I'll do a better job.)

Publish any results here, so that we can see what happened. And don't forget to include me in the acknowledgements when you publish your papers.

There was a good prog on BBC a few days ago -

SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: Twins: The Identity Test
Channel: BBC 1
Date: Wednesday 19th March 2003
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (Already shown)
Duration: 1 hour.
One hundred sets of twins are given a series of tests to find out which is the most identical pair in Britain. The tests are based on research by eminent scientific institutions and test both physical and mental similarities.

The 4 most identical pairs were selected for further tests. One of the strangest results was that tracker dogs could differentiate between identical twins, even after the twins had been eating exactly the same things for three days!

Remember, these are identical twins, so are genetically identical, so how could the dogs distinguish the 'right' twin? Admittedly it wasn't a rigourous test (only 4 pairs of twins were tested this way) but the dogs scored 4 out of 4!

Another interesting point is that twins generally have very different fingerprints.

And, not twins, but Lookalikes:

On TV recently, I couldn't help noticing that Philippa Forester (Techno Games presenter) has the same chubby chops as our beloved deputy P.M, Two Jags Prescott.

And I was watching Hugh Edwards reading the news about Iraq, and suddenly realised he reminded me of Jack Dee. (Look at the mouth especially.)

This is spooky...my mum is a Gemini..my dad was a Gemini...mum had two sets of twins..then she was told to expect twins again but only me came and I am a Gemini. I didn't have twins but my children were born two years apart..one at 10.02 pm and the other at 10.04pm and they both weighed 8lb2oz.:)

Well, I don't know if this has got any chance of being correct, but monozygotic twins could just concievably be communicating by quantum entanglement

- they would have a tiny infinitesimal amount of cellular matter which was once in intimate contact, and so could concievably have related quantum states...
it is possible to change the state of one particle remotely by changing the other... but the chances of sending a message via this sort of link is as small as the piece of entangled material
if
not
smaller.

This article from Edinburgh appeared just before the Beeb programme:
Me and my shadow: secret lives of twins uncovered

A MATURE, well-dressed woman in black velvet trousers and with red tinted hair is sipping brandy. Opposite is her mirror image. Not that Marie Adams is sitting at her dressing table mirror - rather she’s facing her twin sister Anna.

The pair do almost everything together. They both have a flair for fashion, think alike, say the same thing at the same time, have similar mannerisms and describe themselves as the best of friends. In fact, so close are they that they have never let a man come between them. The only real time they’re apart is when Marie is at work, running her store Grass Hatters in the Grassmarket, and Anna is at work in Jenners’ menswear and hat department.

With such closeness as theirs, it’s hardly surprising that many believe that twins live in a secret world of their own. Whether it’s wearing similar clothes, finishing each other’s sentences or passing their driving tests on the same day, twins seem to do more than just share and share alike.

And there’s little doubt that twins have more than just looks in common. There are 73 million pairs of twins in the world, and 8800 sets are born every year in Britain alone. Yet our fascination with their apparent telepathic bonds and eerie likenesses - be it the Cheeky Girls or the Krays - remains as strong as ever.

Which is why, for the first time on British television, a new BBC show, Twins - The Identity Test, is examining just how alike twins really are. One hundred sets of twins from all over the UK have been put through a series of tests - physical, mental and intellectual - to find out just who are the most identical twins in Britain.

Anna and Marie, in their 50s, agree that their similarities are more than just a coincidence.

"Quite often, Anna will go shopping in Glasgow and I will go to Edinburgh, only to find we return with exactly the same item. It’s really strange," says Marie.

The sisters live together in Bo’ness and are quite reflective on the reasons why they never married. Anna says: "We were always quite a daunting prospect for men because there were two of us. They often thought we were too close for comfort."

"Sometimes it was an advantage: we used to get a lot of attention in our 20s," says Marie. "Men would get very mixed up. Anna’s boyfriend would arrive at the door and kiss me passionately before I had the chance to say anything, and after discos our boyfriends would often walk the wrong twin home, not realising their mistake."

Anna adds: "But we also had twin boyfriends who we could not tell apart - we’re certain they swapped us around. Sometimes I wasn’t sure which one I was dating."

The pair were born in Simpson’s Maternity Pavilion in the 1950s during the post-war baby boom. Their Scottish father was serving in the British Army during the Greek Civil War and fell in love with their mother, Katherine, in Athens.

They retain strong links to their mother’s homeland, where they have a holiday home.

In fact, Anna almost moved to Athens permanently in the 1980s as she was engaged to be married. It seemed the sisters would be separated for the first time.

Marie says: "During that time, I would think of Anna and what she was doing. We kept in regular contact - when you are a twin, you are closer than normal siblings."

But she is quick to add that this was not the reason for Anna’s return to Scotland. "Basically, the relationship didn’t work out," says Anna. "We have always made a conscious effort to keep our relationships apart from each other. We tend not to get involved in the other sister’s male relationships. Luckily, we have never been in a position where we have had to pick a man over each other."

Unlike the Douglas twins from Dumbarton. John and Peter, who at 65 still live together, also wear the same clothes, eat the same meals and weigh exactly the same. But neither married because: "We both always liked the same girl," says John. "We didn’t want to make one another jealous. In any case, we’ve got each other.

"It’s not like we were never on the lookout, though. It’s a shame we weren’t born in America where they’ve had twin conventions longer than here. Finding a set of twins would have been perfect."

Of course, the similarities between twins prompt the question: is it genetics or just coincidence? According to the documentary producer and director, Rod Williams, the filming has yielded some fascinating results - results which he won’t reveal until the programme is aired.

"There is a scientific reason behind the programme - it is setting out to prove genetics are the key to human identity," he says. "We had a lot of money to spend on research, and even scientists who have been studying this topic for years have been astounded at our results."

Rod spent every waking hour in the company of the twins while making the groundbreaking documentary.

"It got to the stage that I began to feel like the odd one out for not having a twin. Some of the twins are like one person: they finish each other’s sentences, talk in unison and there was even an example in the programme of twins who want to be buried together when they die - their wives just have to accept it."

So close are some of the twins, that many in the programme don’t describe themselves as two different people - they are one. Rod explains: "They start off in the womb as one egg, then split. But the important thing to remember is that they begin this life as one person, and for many that’s how it stays."

Another pair of Edinburgh twins, Marsaili McGrath and her twin Chantel, believe they have a psychic link thanks to their nine months in the womb together. The 28-year-olds are not identical, but say they know instinctively when something is wrong with the other.

Marsaili recalls being in Africa when she wrote: "Chantel, where are you? Are you OK? What’s wrong?" in her diary. "I completely flipped out with worry but didn’t have a way of speaking to her, so I wrote in my diary instead," she recalls. "Then, the same week, I received a letter from Chantel saying she was having a hard time. There have been countless psychic incidents like that.

"When we were young, we used to speak to each other in our sleep in our own language and have conversations. And we have always been able to get away with murder."

Chantel, a jazz singer, adds: "You can’t be with someone for so many years without having some kind of psychic connection."

The experience of being twins is even more intense for Anna and Marie, as their cousins and their best friends are also twins.

"It’s quite remarkable," says Anna. "My father’s brother also had a set of twins who we are extremely close to, and when we’re out with our friends Irene and Maureen, quite often the drinks are free and we become a bit of a spectacle in the restaurant or the pub we are in, on the merit that we are all twins."

The sisters make the most of their twin identities, but Marie admits that having a doppelganger can be a little frustrating. "Sometimes you are looked at as a twin rather than a person. I don’t like to be addressed as ‘twin’, but other than that it’s great - Anna’s my best friend and she’s always there for me."

Anna, who says Marie is the more outgoing twin, adds: "We have never been in competition, we would far rather complement one another. We live together because it makes economic sense, but we do spend time apart in our own social circles."

The one area where they differ remarkably, though, is their taste in music. Marie says: "I have an especially soft spot for Coldplay," while Anna adds: "I prefer to stick with 1960s icons such as Scott Walker, but I like to think of us both as being up to date."

Marie chips in: "We are basically the Cheeky Girls who have come of age."
Source

In The Unexplained part-work there was an article about a set of identical twins from Yorkshire IIRC who did everything in sync. For example if they were eating their forks would reach their mouths at exactly the same time. They even spoke in sync - both saying exactly the same thing - except one was slightly delayed (by only a few seconds).

I can't remember all the details, but I have a vague recollection that the article stated that such twins as these are indeed mirror images of each other, and the left-hand fingerprints of one, matched the right-hand fingerprints of the other.

They were Freda and Greta Chaplin of York, Butterfly and they came
to public notice in 1980 when they were in court for harassing a
neighbour. For fifteen years they had followed this lorry driver, shouting
abuse and hitting him with their handbags. It seemed their fixation
was a sign of their thwarted affection for him!

There was much press coverage in the wake of the trial and the
psychiatric reports; the twins were much photographed and appeared
on television. By the early 1980s they were living in a hostel for the
mentally handicapped and seem to have faded from view. :(

Twin Telepathy (FT171)

(Perhaps this belongs in New Science or Parapsychology, but anyway...)

Does anyone know if Guy Lyon Playfair's work on twin telepathy is getting written up anywhere? The results enumerated in the article were interesting and suggestive, but lacked methodological details, such as what blinding (if any) went on, control runs and such like.

I hope, if he really has got statistically significant results, he will be encouraged to go for JREF's $1m.

Bump!

2 Twins threads merged, and new post by James M also added here.

MP twins, 114, live and die together

By Sanjay Narad in Bhopal
Sunday, 01 June , 2003, 14:43

Twin sisters born in Nagda village of Madhya Pradesh 114 years ago died together on Thursday. They have now been cremated side by side.
In a miracle of sorts, the women not only came into the world together. They also married on the same day in the same village, turned widows simultaneously and breathed their last on the same night at almost the same time.

The women, Kali Bi Sheikh and Batul Bi Sheikh, were born to the couple Umdabai and Sultan at village Siya. They were married into two different families of Nagda on the same day.

After their husbands died, they have been living together as friends. They have about 125 grand and great grandchildren between them.

On Thursday night, Kali Bi fell ill and died while being taken to the hospital. It was nearly at the same time that Batul Bi, who was sleeping in her house, also breathed her last.

Their death was announced almost at the same time during the prayer of 'fazar' and they were buried side by side.
Source

First case of fraternal twins sharing a placenta documented
Contradicting nearly all the medical textbooks, doctors have proven for the first time that fraternal, or nonidentical, twins can share a placenta.

Until now, doctors believed that only identical twins -- which come from a single, split embryo -- can share a placenta, the mass of tissue inside the uterus that delivers nourishment to the fetus via the umbilical cord.

In Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, doctors at the University of Washington in Seattle reported that a 48-year-old woman gave birth about two years ago to male and female twins nourished by the same placenta. Each baby had his or her own umbilical cord and amniotic sac.

The babies were conceived via test tube fertilization with another woman's eggs. Experts said the procedure, in which eggs and sperm are mixed in a dish and the fertilized eggs are inserted in the woman's uterus, could have somehow caused the outcome.

"I think there are other cases out there" that were missed, said lead author Dr. Vivienne L. Souter. But "I think it's very rare."

Fraternal twins occur when two sperm fertilize two eggs at the same time; they are relatively common with test tube babies because multiple embryos are put in the uterus to increase the chances of producing a baby.

In this case, the babies were of the opposite sex, so they could not be identical twins. But the woman's doctors were puzzled over how there could be only one placenta. Initial blood tests added to the confusion, indicating a 99.9 percent likelihood the twins were identical.

Exception to the rule
Partly because of concerns the girl might have a rare genetic abnormality that can cause sterility, the case was referred to experts at the university, where Souter was then a fellow in medical genetics.

"The parents were really anxious" about the babies, Souter said. "We examined them. They looked like a completely normal boy, a completely normal girl. I initially thought, 'This doesn't add up."'

Souter consulted with top specialists, including geneticists from Australia's twin registry, and they solved the mystery by doing sophisticated DNA testing of skin from each baby to prove the twins were not identical. Their blood was similar because they shared blood circulation in the womb.

"Because these things get so deeply rooted in medicine, it's very difficult to convince people that there's an exception to the rule," said Souter, who is on medical leave caring for her 3-month-old fraternal twins.

Dr. Laura Riley, chairman of the obstetrics practice committee of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, said this is the first such case she knows of to be so convincingly documented.

A 1970 journal report claimed this had happened, but was disregarded because of limited data.

Riley said whether there is one placenta or two is important because if twins share blood circulation, one can receive more of the blood, and therefore more of the nutrients and oxygen. This is dangerous to both babies.

Dr. Roger B. Newman, vice chairman of obstetrics and gynecology at Medical University of South Carolina, said this outcome is much more likely with test-tube babies.

"Somewhere in laboratory or in the process back toward the mother, (the fetuses) become disrupted and fuse together," he said.

Twins are common in my family. There's at least one set in every generation. 'Identical' twins never look identical to me.

Identical twins run in my family, too -- my dad was a twin, his gran, her grandfather, etc. I'm not planning on having children myself, so...

Also, my father passed away some years ago, so seeing my uncle (his twin brother) is always something of a shock to the system, at least for the first few minutes or so. Anyone else get this?

Twins see double with identical baby sisters

Twins see double with identical baby sisters

Four-year-old identical twins Jane and Jennifer Kelly shared double delight in holding their new sisters, Ruth and Emily, also identical twins. Their mother Charlotte, 22, from Shiney Row, near Sunderland, who is not a twin, said that she was five months pregnant when told to prepare for another double birth. “I thought the nurse had got it wrong,” she said. “I thought she must have been reading my records. I was in total shock when I realised she was right, and when I went back to Mum’s house I don’t think anyone believed me.”
Emily and Ruth were delivered by Caesarean section at 38 weeks, weighing 8lb 12oz (4kg) and 7lb 2oz (3.2kg). “Twins tend to be smaller and to come early,” Ms Kelly said. “But these two were comfortable. I still can’t get over the weight of them. I know it’s going to be hard but I’ve got loads of support from my family.”

Linda Jones, of the Twins and Multiple Births Association, said: “I have never heard of this before. The chance of having identical twins the first time is relatively high, 1 in 70, but the chance of identical twins of the same sex twice is closer to one in half a million.”

I have identical twins who will be 8 in a week. They are so very different in personality and I can't see that they're identical in looks either to be honest. I could tell their cries apart when they were only weeks old.

However, at nursery, they managed to fool the staff into thinking they were each other, and even my son, who is a year younger, got involved with the wind ups by saying Rosie was Emily and Emily was Rosie, if he was asked. Even now, people get them mixed up.

I hope they develop a closeness later, at the moment there's no indication of it whatsoever.

You have the advantage of being their mother. That usually helps. (Similarly for your son: he's known them all his life, so it's easy for him to tell them apart.)

And yet people who don't know me and my brother very well assume we're twins. In spite of the difference in height, weight, eye colour, hair and beard length, the way we dress. We're really not very alike at all.

Do your daughters get constantly approached by complete strangers asking if they are twins? (And looking smug as if they're the only people who've ever asked this question?)

anome said:
Do your daughters get constantly approached by complete strangers asking if they are twins? (And looking smug as if they're the only people who've ever asked this question?)

It's quite funny you should ask that, because my son is actually taller than the girls, despite being a year younger, and until recently I was often asked if I had triplets! Now they're almost 8, they don't get so much attention, they don't dress the same and have clearly different personalities. It was much more common that we were approached when they were toddlers because I indulged myself by dressing them in identical outfits.

Their grandparents took them away for a weekend to a holiday camp and there happened to be hundreds of Japanese tourists there that same weekend. They're fascinated by twins and in every photo the Granparents brought back from the weekend, there are the girls, flanked by total strangers grinning inanely!

Back