• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Twitter

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Every move you make...is just fascinating
Ben Hoyle

Tiny messages pop up on a world map every few seconds in an oddly absorbing babble of nonsequiturs from all over the planet. And that’s it.

Welcome to twittervision.com, a supremely unnecessary concept that is becoming the biggest craze on the internet.

In London yesterday someone was “digesting felafel; anticipating beer”. Moments later a message arrived from Texas: “Having a hard time staying awake. Making another tea run.” In India an anonymous voice cried out: “I want to tell someone my true feelings for her, but afraid she’ll reject me”.

The effect is hypnotic: 24 hours a day, bulletins from unconnected lives are released from every corner of the world for public consumption. “Twittering” began last year, when Jack Dorsey launched twitter. com, a website that allows its users to let each other know what they are doing, through text messages or the internet. Users are asked: “What are you doing?” The answer, or “tweet”, is sent to other users.

According to the site Twitterholic, the Top 10 twitterers have thousands of followers. Seventh yesterday was John Edwards, the US presidential candidate, who has been sending out campaign updates on Twitter. This week Time magazine said Twitter was an “early front-runner for the title of the ‘YouTube of 2007’”.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 652654.ece
http://twittervision.com/

Utterly pointless! I've already made my first post! But it's so ephemeral, you've missed it already!

But it makes a kind of weird mobile wallpaper for your pooter, and yet another way to waste time... (really must start my housework...)

<that sound was of Kondoru bashing her head in with a sledge hammer...>

yep that's genuinely pointless, good find there Rynner. Amusing for the time it takes to drink a coffee :)

Twitter tweets are 40% 'babble'

A short-term study of Twitter has found that 40% of the messages sent via it are "pointless babble."

Carried out by US market research firm Pear Analytics, the study aimed to produce a snapshot of what people do with the service.

Almost as prevalent as the babble were "conversational" tweets that used it as a surrogate instant messaging system.

The study found that only 8.7% of messages could be said to have "value" as they passed along news of interest.

To get an idea of what Twitter was being used for, Pear Analytics dipped into the Tweet stream every 30 minutes between 11:00 and 17:00 on weekdays for a fortnight.

In total it grabbed 2,000 messages and then put each message it grabbed into one of six categories; news, spam, self-promotion, pointless babble, conversational and those with pass-along value.

Conversational tweets were those that bounced back and forth between two users, and those dubbed "pointless babble" were of the "I'm eating a sandwich" type.

When Pear Analytics started its short-term study, it assumed that most of the tweets would be either spam or self-promotion. This belief, it said, was driven by the growing number of firms starting to use Twitter as a tool to drum up sales.

Instead, it found that 40.5% could be classified as pointless babble, 37.5% as conversational and 8.7% as having pass-along value. Self promotion and spam stood at 5.85% and 3.75% respectively.

"With the new face of Twitter, it will be interesting to see if they take a heavier role in news, or continue to be a source for people to share their current activities that have little to do with everyone else," said Ryan Kelly, founder of Pear Analytics, writing about its analysis.

Pear Analytics intends to repeat its study every quarter to track trends in usage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8204842.stm

I decided it was a waste of time within hours (if not minutes) of trying it.

Still, I suppose it could be somewhere to post my channelings from Emerods....
:twisted:

BTW, I'm about to make a sandwich - or perhaps I'll have some hard-boiled eggs with (low calorie) mayonaise and fresh-ground black pepper! :D

Twitter tweets are 40% 'babble'

A short-term study of Twitter has found that 40% of the messages sent via it are "pointless babble."

Carried out by US market research firm Pear Analytics, the study aimed to produce a snapshot of what people do with the service.

:roll: And other short-term studies find that:

The sky is indeed blue
Dogs often go woof
Water is not dry

Only 40% is babble? I'd have guessed 80% at least...

They left out a category - twitter art. See a sample from National Book Award nominee Kathleen Duey, compiled in blog form:

http://russet-one-wing.blogspot.com/

Kathleen's not the only person I've met using twitter for literature, and there's a company paying for 140-character stories that they pass to subscribers. Not paying much, mind, but short forms don't pay much.

Last big industry con I was at, one of the agents raved about twitter for business. If that works for him and his clients, good, but I don't see how anybody can get anything done like that, and the remark made me write him off as "incompatible." But I'm old and don't even have a cell phone or an MP3 player.

Edwardians discovered 'Twitter' first
Twitter, the microblogging website, may be thought of as a 21st century phenomenon, but researchers have discovered the Edwardians were ''tweeting'' first.
Published: 11:51AM BST 03 Sep 2009

In the days before micro-blogging, text messages and social networking sites, the public were using the humble postcard to impart their thoughts and opinions.

Introduced in 1902, the picture postcard, containing an image on one side and room for writing on the other, became an instant hit according to a study by Lancaster and Manchester Metropolitan universities.

Using Postmaster General reports, researchers calculated almost six billion postcards - an average of 200 per person - were posted in Britain between 1901 and 1910.

With up to 10 postal deliveries in major cities a day at this time, the medium allowed users to write and respond quickly and cheaply, the study found.

Like Twitter, which restricts users to 140 characters per ''tweet'', postcard writers only have a limited amount of space to pen a message.

The study concludes: ''We suggest that the low price and efficiency of the Edwardian postcard has meant that as an informal written communications technology it was not equalled subsequently until the 21st century.''

As with the informal style of social networking, or ''text-speak'', which lacks punctuation and shortens words, leaders of the 1900s were concerned that the use of postcards threatened literacy standards, researchers found.

A postcard sent to a Mrs Rowarth of The Lamb Inn begins: ''A P.C. from you this mg. is it tomorrow or next Sat. the opening. if tomorrow it is decidedly off with me. & I am afraid it would be the same next week.'' 8)

The study said: ''The spontaneous outbursts of informal written communications were not necessarily welcomed as a good thing, but rather felt to threaten 'standards'.''

Julia Gillen and Nigel Hall, the authors of the report, will present their findings at the British Educational Research Association (BERA) conference in Manchester today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/t ... first.html

rynner2 said:
With up to 10 postal deliveries in major cities a day at this time

Amazing what a hundred years of progress in mail delivery has done for us!

mooks out

I think I'm right in saying that the PO put a limit on the number of words you were supposed to write on a postcard. I don't think it was enforced by the sixties and I recall squinting to decode the messages some relations managed to squeeze into the tiny space. It was necessary to include greetings to everyone, including the pets!

A pleasant page here

I can't find any reference to an official word limit. Googling brings up the fact that examination boards still draw on this dying tradition to get candidates to write 50-word summaries.

I get the odd postcard still, often from exotic climes, when the senders have been long-since returned. Writing the holiday postcards to a multitude of relations and friends was one of those rituals that hung over one's head as a youngster. It cast its pall over holidays much as the thank-you letter did over birthdays and Christmas.

I can see myself now, reviewing the thin white paper bagful of Salmon Colour views, watching the rain trickle down the windows of a Lynmouth Café. The views were ancient even then and there was always a Jowett Javelin on the promenade. Ah, the nostalgia of it all! :)

Brass band members targeted with 'abusive' tweets
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-16726674

The comments have been described as sexist, homophobic and racist
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Charges brought over racist tweet
Man charged over Collymore tweet
Abbott sorry for Twitter race row
Police are examining abusive comments posted on Twitter about musicians competing in a brass band contest in Lincolnshire.

One comment suggested a male musician had received an award for sexually abusing children, while a percussionist was compared to Adolf Hitler.

Other tweets have been described as racist, sexist and homophobic.

The abuse was posted on Twitter during the Butlin's Mineworkers' Open National Brass Band Festival in Skegness.

'Serial rapist'
Iwan Fox, of online brass branding magazine 4barsrest.com, attended the event to report on it.

Mr Fox said: "Brass banding, especially at events, is very family-orientated.

"There's a good rivalry but it's a friendly rivalry between bands and players and performers.

"Unfortunately in these circumstances the advent of new technology has been abused."

At first, the Twitter account was used to try to parody the Twitter feed of 4barsrest.com and used the same logo.

But the poster went on to make comments which included references to body parts of some of the female musicians, with one suggesting a woman had received an award in recognition of these.

One of the euphonium players was described as looking like "a serial rapist".

'Difficult position'
Another comment compared the competition to being like the Auschwitz concentration camp, and photos of competitors were also posted on Twitter along with criticism of their appearance.

The account has been deleted since the comments were made on 22 January, the final day of the festival.

Kenneth Crookston, editor of British Bandsman magazine, alerted contest organisers after seeing the comments.

He said: "There is a very small minority currently involved in brass banding that seem intent on denigrating the efforts of what are actually very skilled amateur musicians through a medium in which they think they are anonymous.

"The contest organisers were put in a very difficult position with this matter during a very well organised event at which the other 4,000 participants are always well behaved."

Mr Crookston and Mr Fox, who described the comments as sexist, homophobic and racist, believe more than one person could have been responsible.

A spokesperson for Butlin's said the person they thought was responsible was dealt with by competition organisers at the time.

A spokesperson for Lincolnshire Police said the force had been informed about the comments and the material was being examined.

rynner2 said:
Edwardians discovered 'Twitter' first
Twitter, the microblogging website, may be thought of as a 21st century phenomenon, but researchers have discovered the Edwardians were ''tweeting'' first.

Birds. Not Edwardians, Birds.

--------------

I try to use twitter as a promotional tool for my band, but I've somehow never got the hang of it.

And I'm a young, middle class Londoner 'working' in the arts so it should be like water to a fish.

While we're here, I may as well ask if any of you lot are on Twitter - I did find a board member there once, but the bugger ignored me after I'd introduced myself :?

WhistlingJack said:
While we're here, I may as well ask if any of you lot are on Twitter - I did find a board member there once, but the bugger ignored me after I'd introduced myself :?
I hope it wasn't me. I tend to lose track of stuff on Twitter due to the sheer volume.

No, it wasn't you ;)

I'm now following you three - I'm @MrWhistlingJack if you want to follow back.

WhistlingJack said:
I'm now following you three - I'm @MrWhistlingJack if you want to follow back.
Is this like that human caterpillar thing?! :shock:

Caution on Twitter urged as Britons barred from US
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312

Post-9/11 USA is highly cautious of any perceived threat, Abta said
Related Stories

Twitter airport hoax appeal fails
Man guilty of Twitter bomb threat
Holidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two British friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet.

Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to "destroy America".

He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time - but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise "concern or suspicion in any way".

The US Department for Homeland Security picked up Mr Bryan's messages ahead of his holiday in Los Angeles.

The 26-year-old bar manager wrote a message to a friend on the micro-blogging service, saying: "Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America."

He told the Sun newspaper that he and his friend Emily Bunting were apprehended on arrival at Los Angeles International Airport before being sent home.

"The Homeland Security agents were treating me like some kind of terrorist," Mr Bryan said.

"I kept saying they had got the wrong meaning from my tweet."

No joke
Abta, which represents travel companies in the UK, said holidaymakers need to learn to be ultra-cautious when it comes to talking about forthcoming trips, particularly after 9/11.

Start Quote

Airport security staff do not have a sense of humour when it comes to potential risk”

Abta
"Posting statements in a public forum which could be construed as threatening - in this case saying they are going to "destroy" somewhere - will not be viewed sympathetically by US authorities," it told the BBC.

"In the past we have seen holidaymakers stopped at airport security for 'joking' that they have a bomb in their bag, thoroughly questioned and ending up missing their flights, demonstrating that airport security staff do not have a sense of humour when it comes to potential risk."

In another tweet, Mr Bryan made reference to comedy show Family Guy saying that he would be in LA in three weeks, annoying people "and diggin' Marilyn Monroe up".

Mr Bryan told the newspaper that he was questioned for five hours about his Twitter messages.

'Tweeter account'
After the interview, Homeland Security's reported: "Mr Bryan confirmed that he had posted on his Tweeter website account that he was coming to the United States to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe.

"Also on his tweeter account Mr Bryan posted he was coming to destroy America."

Paul Chambers was fined after posting a message about Robin Hood Airport
The US Customs and Border Protection agency said in a statement that it tried to maintain a balance between "securing our borders while facilitating the high volume of legitimate trade and travel that crosses our borders every day".

It added: "We strive to achieve that balance and show the world that the United States is a welcoming nation."

Mr Bryan is not the only person to suffer from a misjudged tweet. In January 2010, Paul Chambers tweeted that he would blow snow-affected Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster "sky high!" if it was not reopened in time for him to see his girlfriend.

He was fined £385 plus £2,600 in costs - a sum which actor Stephen Fry offered to pay on Mr Chambers' behalf.

I'm on Twitter - i use it as enhanced RSS feed - mainly politics, psychology and music. @keyboardtears1 - followers welcome, but I don't tweet much, certainly no personal stuff -that's just ewwwy.

What does it mean when you have people following you and you don't have a clue who they are? What's all that about?

I mean on twitter BTW, not just random nutters tailing you in the street...

Usually they are hoping you will follow them back..... I get a lot of young, single US based girls following me (online, online.....)

Follow 'em back and you'll probably get inundated with junky spammy tweets.

I mean, I might be wrong, maybe it's your animal magnetism flying through the interpipes......

CarlosTheDJ said:
I mean, I might be wrong, maybe it's your animal magnetism flying through the interpipes......

You're a DJ, of course hordes of young babes will follow you.

ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:

You're a DJ, of course hordes of young babes will follow you.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahhhhaaah :oops:

Back