• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Two-Headed / Two-Faced Mammals (Bicephalic; Diprosopus)

Nemo

Go away, leave me alone, nemo is home
https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...ta-conjoined-twins-white-tailed-a8350911.html

'We can’t even estimate the rarity of this. Of the tens of millions of fawns born annually in the US, there are probably abnormalities happening in the wild we don’t even know about'

An “extremely rare” two-headed deer has been discovered by a mushroom hunter in a forest by a Minnesota.

The conjoined twin fawns appeared to have been stillborn, but they are the first ones known to have been carried to term and delivered by their mother.

After discovering the specimen while out foraging near the Mississippi River, the mushroom hunter delivered it to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, where Dr Gino D’Angelo was working at the time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...ta-conjoined-twins-white-tailed-a8350911.html

'We can’t even estimate the rarity of this. Of the tens of millions of fawns born annually in the US, there are probably abnormalities happening in the wild we don’t even know about'

An “extremely rare” two-headed deer has been discovered by a mushroom hunter in a forest by a Minnesota.

The conjoined twin fawns appeared to have been stillborn, but they are the first ones known to have been carried to term and delivered by their mother.

After discovering the specimen while out foraging near the Mississippi River, the mushroom hunter delivered it to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, where Dr Gino D’Angelo was working at the time.
Two-headed deer feature quite prominently in Fallout 4. This is life imitating art.

Hartbreaking.

I'm gonna count two faces as bicephalic ...
Goat with two faces born at Wisconsin farm

A Wisconsin farm is celebrating the birth of a highly unusual animal: a goat with two faces.

Jocelyn Nueske of Nueske Farms in Wittenberg said the baby was born April 5 and was dubbed Janus, after the two-headed Roman god.

Nueske said Janus appears to be healthy, despite his side-by-side twin mouths and four eyes.

"They weren't sure if the middle eyes worked. But they were positive about the outside eyes working," Neuske told WLUK-TV of the veterinarians who examined Janus.

"He's a normal goat. We just have to help him. We try to help him as much as we can, and give him a break when he gets tired," she said.

She said Janus has been a big hit with visitors to the farm's Facebook page.

Nueske, who has operated her goat farm for six years, said she didn't even know it was possible for a goat to be born with two faces.

"I've heard of two-headed cows, and lizards, but not a goat," Nueske said.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/04/15/Goat-with-two-faces-born-at-Wisconsin-farm/7161586978959/

Here's a two-faced kitten (diprosopus) recently born in upstate New York. Oregon.
NOTE: The UPI story incorrectly attributed the location to Albany NY rather than Albany OR.

Kitten with two faces born in New York state barn

Kitten-with-two-faces-born-in-New-York-state-barn.jpg

A New York state family welcomed an unusual arrival when their barn cat give birth to a kitten with two faces on a single head.

Kyla King, whose family lives on a farm east of Albany, said the 1-year-old barn cat gave birth to a litter of six kittens Wednesday, and she soon realized the runt of the litter had two mouths, two noses and four eyes.

The Kings dubbed the kitten Biscuits and Gravy, or Biscuit for short.

The new arrival's rare condition is believed to be caused by a birth defect known as diprosopus, or craniofacial duplication. Felines with the condition are commonly known as Janus cats, after the ancient Roman god often depicted with two faces.

King said Biscuit was rejected by the mother cat, so she has been hand-rearing and feeding the kitten until a full veterinary exam can be conducted to determine whether Biscuit is healthy enough to survive.

Janus cats often don't live for more than a few days, but have been known to survive for years if their internal organs aren't dramatically altered by the condition. A Massachusetts cat named Frank and Louie became a Guinness World Record holder for Janus cats when he lived to be 15 years old.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...es-born-in-New-York-state-barn/3721590175796/

Last edited:
UPI got a minor detail wrong. It was apparently Albany, Oregon, not Albany, New York.

Thanks for confirming it was Oregon. I've fixed the post to indicate the state attribution error.

When I posted the story I'd seen one news item claiming it was in Oregon, but at that time (yesterday) the Oregon claim was outnumbered by New York attributions.

Update: Biscuits and Gravy - the two-faced kitten born in Oregon, died 4 days after birth.
Biscuits and Gravy, the kitten born with two faces, dies

Biscuits and Gravy, the kitten with two faces, has died days after capturing the hearts of animal lovers all over the world.

The adorable kitty, born on May 20 on an Oregon farm, died just three days after his birth. He was one of six kittens born to Keenly, a cat owned by the King family.

Biscuits and Gravy had two noses, four eyes and two tiny mouths. He only had one brain stem, but could eat, suck and meow from both faces. At first, he had been doing very well, according to the family's veterinarian.

"He ate a lot, and he peed and pooped a lot. He just didn't grow. It's hard work for a little guy like him to support a large head with two complete faces," the family wrote on a Facebook page tracking Biscuits and Gravy's progress. ...

FULL STORY (With Photos):
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/us/biscuits-and-gravy-two-faced-kitten-dies-trnd/index.html

I nose this might nor fit here but where else should it go?

A homeless cat has confounded its new carers after it was revealed it had two noses.

Staff at Cats Protection's Warrington Adoption Centre had assumed the four-year-old feline "just had a rather large nose" when it was brought in. However, a check-up found a second schnozz, which the charity said was caused by a congenital abnormality.

Senior field veterinary officer Fiona Brockbank said finding a couple of conks was a "first for us".

She said other "congenital malformations", such as a cleft lip and cleft palate, were "not uncommon" and could "either be inherited" or caused by an incident in utero.

"This is a real rarity and, thankfully, it isn't causing her any problems at all," she added.

Cat with two noses

The charity said the cat was "a gentle lady who adores a fuss and a cuddle"

Centre manager Lindsay Kerr said the cat had been named Nanny McPhee, after the children's book character who has a "famously deformed nose".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-67157136

I nose this might nor fit here but where else should it go?

A homeless cat has confounded its new carers after it was revealed it had two noses.
Nobody? Just me then... "but how does it smell?"

All I can think seeing these is - those poor creatures.

Back