• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Two Nights, Two Mediums

I think the line in question just meant it was her naming of the suspect that lead them to investigate him and therefore retrieve the pullover and check his movements.

Hmm. I would question this. I've been watching a lot of Cold Case detective documentaries lately and they seemed to keep a LOT of evidence from the 80's. So I wouldn't necessarily put too much credence on them 'only keeping evidence because a psychic said so'.
It has surprised me that evidence from decades old cold cases has been kept for so long, but it makes sense. There has been a spate of reports recently on murderers being brought to justice from crimes committed a long time ago. The Police never give up.

Just returned from another "Evening of Clairvoyance" at the local Spiritualist church. The medium this time a tall slim woman in a floaty chiffon drew and rather elegant with a slight northern accent gave a demonstration of 'Psychic art'.
She drew charcoal and chalk portraits of the spirits, about A2 size, to accompany her readings. The standard of the drawing was similar to that of the street artists, who do a portrait in a few minutes. She's start on a drawing and say something like "this is some one's Nan, and give a few more detail and ask if anyone understood, when someone understood and started responding she'd start giving more details, asking the person only to say yes, they understood or no, she actually stopped a couple of people from feeding her more information. All the while continuing drawing and turning back and away from the audience as she asked questions. The respondents tended to agree that the portraits resembled their relative - sometimes at a younger age than when they passed over since the spirits can show themselves a whatever age they feel comfortable with. (I thought the portraits were a bit generic and could resemble anyone, my opinion only). She went through someone's Mum, a Grandad, a young relative who'd been a bit of a "Lovable" rouge, a father who was an ex-policeman, a fun Aunty who nevertheless had had some tough times in her life, and another Grandad who's served in World War and had experiences he wouldn't talk about.

There was a very low rate of misses.

Quite an impressive demonstration of something - even if you don't believe it's the spirits talking (that's me).

Well, nearly every family has a 'lovable' rogue (in mine, it was one of my brothers - the other is just a rouge). 'Fun Aunties with sad back-stories are quite common too; it must be the 'background' of the times when there was no point in moaning and you just put a 'happy face' on for the kids.
As far as war service is concerned, most WW1 and 2 veterans don't like to talk about it to relations; they're more likely to open up to fellow veterans who'd experienced similar.
So ... quite a few stereotypes there. Not many 'eccentric but harmless' though.

Just returned from another "Evening of Clairvoyance" at the local Spiritualist church. The medium this time a tall slim woman in a floaty chiffon drew and rather elegant with a slight northern accent gave a demonstration of 'Psychic art'.
She drew charcoal and chalk portraits of the spirits, about A2 size, to accompany her readings. The standard of the drawing was similar to that of the street artists, who do a portrait in a few minutes. She's start on a drawing and say something like "this is some one's Nan, and give a few more detail and ask if anyone understood, when someone understood and started responding she'd start giving more details, asking the person only to say yes, they understood or no, she actually stopped a couple of people from feeding her more information. All the while continuing drawing and turning back and away from the audience as she asked questions. The respondents tended to agree that the portraits resembled their relative - sometimes at a younger age than when they passed over since the spirits can show themselves a whatever age they feel comfortable with. (I thought the portraits were a bit generic and could resemble anyone, my opinion only). She went through someone's Mum, a Grandad, a young relative who'd been a bit of a "Lovable" rouge, a father who was an ex-policeman, a fun Aunty who nevertheless had had some tough times in her life, and another Grandad who's served in World War and had experiences he wouldn't talk about.

There was a very low rate of misses.

Quite an impressive demonstration of something - even if you don't believe it's the spirits talking (that's me).
Whilst I have never seen a demonstration of psychic art for me, it would have to be a very near likeness rather than "it could be" with as little ambiguity as possible

Whilst I have never seen a demonstration of psychic art for me, it would have to be a very near likeness rather than "it could be" with as little ambiguity as possible
The psychic artists could explain away those doubts, perhaps thusly -

The subject had difficulty showing their former appearance as they are now entirely Spirit.
There may have been interruptions from other, impatient spirits waiting their turn. (Think Oda Mae Brown.)
A subject might present a younger appearance than the 'customer' expects.
and so on.

I'm sure there are a dozen excuses available. ;)
Plus, the audience for such a demonstration might be less critical. They are likely to be delighted at being picked out for attention.

Exactly.
I imagine the numbers of the audience being open to the possibility of fraud are far lower than 'believers'.
After all, believers would be far more willing to attend or pay an entrance fee.

The psychic artists could explain away those doubts, perhaps thusly -

The subject had difficulty showing their former appearance as they are now entirely Spirit.
There may have been interruptions from other, impatient spirits waiting their turn. (Think Oda Mae Brown.)
A subject might present a younger appearance than the 'customer' expects.
and so on.

I'm sure there are a dozen excuses available. ;)
Plus, the audience for such a demonstration might be less critical. They are likely to be delighted at being picked out for attention.
I guess we tend to sometimes see what we want to see, I bit like I've got someone whose name begins with a J, it's John etc, we've all seen it

Exactly.
I imagine the numbers of the audience being open to the possibility of fraud are far lower than 'believers'.
After all, believers would be far more willing to attend or pay an entrance fee.
Nobody's going to that sort of event without some kind of interest though. Most will believe or at least want to. It's a waste of time otherwise.
Our dear @Timble2 has a true Fortean curiosity. :nods:

Nobody's going to that sort of event without some kind of interest though. Most will believe or at least want to. It's a waste of time otherwise.
Our dear @Timble2 has a true Fortean curiosity. :nods:
I have not been to one for ages but I am skeptical but open minded (if such a state exists) I believe in the life here after but doubt we can summon them up on a wet windy night in the Grimsby Spiritualist Church (other Churches are available) the ones I have been to have been far to vague to be of any use

Another Evening of Clairvoyance.

The clairvoyant this week was a stocky chap, close-cropped ginger hair waistcoat, maroon shirt with a silver trim to the collar, black and silver diagonally striped tie, single gold earring. A rather flamboyant style, acting out the messages, making jokes and asides, more of a camp comedy compere than what you’d expect a clairvoyant to be.

He worked by starting a description of a spirit, and asking if anyone would take them, or sometimes focusing directly on a person. Usually started as stereotypes, and then focused down depending on the person’s response. At one point he was demonstrating some taction and said something relating to Star Trek: Discovery adding “I’m a bit of a Sci Fi nerd, so I sometimes see the messages that way. Anyone else into Sci Fi.” A few people including me sort of gestured – probably making us targets. The next spirit who came through, was an older man, who’d been quite, fit with broad shoulders in his younger days, was quite blunt, and didn’t say much, but could really put people down with as joke – a father or grandfather – and he zeroed in on me asking did I understand,

I used to do Impro, and know that you’re supposed to accept and respond, so I said “It’s my Grandad. It fitted reasonably well, and we developed a fair reasonable portrait of what he was like, mainly through yes/no answers. He went on with messages, about how Grandad was proud of me, and made some comments on my character that were pretty general. Then made an odd comment that I was on the Golden Pathway and that Grandad would be watching me on the way – actually if he could see me he’d probably be baffled and said something rude and pithy.

The clairvoyant is also a minister, and I think entirely sincere in what he does; he thinks it’s the spirits, I think it’s improvisation and interactive storytelling.

Back