U.S. Gun Laws, Massacres & Racial Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reports I heard mentioned pellet wounds so I presume a shotgun was used. An angry farmer wandering into town?
I’ve not seen any indication as to the weapons or projectiles used; l just inferred easily-concealable handguns.

As to the report you mention, the firearms knowledge of the typical UK hack is abysmal. Shooting in the UK has been so systematically vilified, delegitimised and denormalised that the meedja can say anything, and low-information consumers will swallow it.

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reports I heard mentioned pellet wounds so I presume a shotgun was used. An angry farmer wandering into town?
The injuries were vaguely described as 'pellet-type" wounds, their severity was consistently cited as "minor", and a couple of the news items I saw stated the wounds weren't as severe as (who? - don't know ... ) originally suspected.

There exist revolvers (e.g., Taurus Judge; S&W Governor) designed for close-quarters personal defense capable of chambering and firing 410 shotgun shells in addition to 45 Colt cartridges.

In the 1970's (USA) there was a fad for small 'purse guns' and derringers. One lower-tier manufacturer on the west coast specialized in these, and they offered an array of miniature and full-sized derringers chambered for calibers that were sometimes bizarre from a practical standpoint. One of their products was a break-open dual barrel / over-and-under derringer chambered for 410 shotgun shells.

However ... I'm still unclear as to whether the 'pellet' allusion referred to shotgun pellets versus the individual bullet-style pellets fired from air guns.

I’ve not seen any indication as to the weapons or projectiles used; l just inferred easily-concealable handguns.

As to the report you mention, the firearms knowledge of the typical UK hack is abysmal. Shooting in the UK has been so systematically vilified, delegitimised and denormalised that the meedja can say anything, and low-information consumers will swallow it.

maximus otter
Police are cited:

Police said nine victims, including two children over the age of 12, had "pellet-type wounds" that are not serious. A 10th person - a man - is in a serious condition with a broken leg.

Ch Supt Wasim Chaudhry, from Greater Manchester Police (GMP), said police believed the weapon used was a shotgun with "pellets in its rounds".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45160462

dr wu

Doctor Prog
^..Yes....so lets hope that they don't get shot at in someplace other than the backpack.
btw....FOX business news....somehow that doesn't surprise me.
;)

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Another one.

Mass Shooting In Jacksonville Florida

At an American football video game contest. Details emerging but latest is 4 killed, 11 injured, shooter shot dead.

One of the rumours is that the guy was upset at losing a game, went home & came back with a gun.
The first victim was live streaming on youtube at the time, alternative camera view between on him and showing the game, which someone else was recording. I'm sure youtube has taken it down by now, but I saw the stream as it was posted elsewhere. He didn't see the laser pointer red dot on his chest, nor the gunman, and the camera view switched to the video game about a half second before the gunfire is heard.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This has got to be the most stupid reason for a gun rampage so far: I lost at a computer game so everyone must die! .. I can sort of understand the kids that snap at school because they were being bullied or thought they were or something and decide to avenge that but this over a fucking a computer game?..

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
This has got to be the most stupid reason for a gun rampage so far: I lost at a computer game so everyone must die! .. I can sort of understand the kids that snap at school because they were being bullied or thought they were or something and decide to avenge that but this over a fucking a computer game?..
It's not the biggest thing that makes you angry, it's the last thing.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It's not the biggest thing that makes you angry, it's the last thing.
I remember ometimes losing my rag at computer games when I was a teenager, especially that Stallone game based around the film Cobra .. Christ that game was frustrating but I never felt the need to go on a murderous rampage .. I did punch my TV screen once though back when screens were made of thick glass, not hard enough to electrocute myself but, still, a bit stupid.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
I remember ometimes losing my rag at computer games when I was a teenager, especially that Stallone game based around the film Cobra .. Christ that game was frustrating but I never felt the need to go on a murderous rampage .. I did punch my TV screen once though back when screens were made of thick glass, not hard enough to electrocute myself but, still, a bit stupid.
I've often felt like punching the TV, but not because of a game, but because of the utter manure presented to the viewing public...

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I was suggesting (too) gently, that his life was crappy in other areas and this was the last straw.

Analis

Justified & Ancient
Meanwhile, on the police brutality front, things don't improve (where are all the gun right fanatics?). No, it's not only blacks (which doesn't mean that Black Lives Matter are wrong to point murders of Blacks by police), but everybody who is in danger from police forces with an openly fascistic behaviour :

https://rutherford.org/publications...merica_the_ongoing_war_on_the_american_people
Battlefield America: The Ongoing War on the American People
628 14 3
By John W. Whitehead
August 21, 2018

“A government which will turn its tanks upon its people, for any reason, is a government with a taste of blood and a thirst for power and must either be smartly rebuked, or blindly obeyed in deadly fear.”—John Salter

Police in a small Georgia town tasered a 5-foot-2, 87-year-old woman who was using a kitchen knife to cut dandelions for use in a recipe. Police claim they had no choice but to taser the old woman, who does not speak English but was smiling at police to indicate she was friendly, because she failed to comply with orders to put down the knife.

Police in California are being sued for using excessive force against a deaf 76-year-old woman who was allegedly jaywalking and failed to halt when police yelled at her. According to the lawsuit, police searched the woman and her grocery bags. She was then slammed to the ground, had a foot or knee placed behind her neck or back, handcuffed, arrested and cited for jaywalking and resisting arrest.

In Alabama, police first tasered then shot and killed an unarmed man who refused to show his driver’s license after attempting to turn in a stray dog he’d found to the local dog shelter. The man’s girlfriend and their three children, all under the age of 10, witnessed the shooting.

In New York, Customs and Border Protection officers have come under fire for subjecting female travelers (including minors) to random body searches that include strip searches while menstruating, genital probing, and forced pelvic exams, X-rays and intravenous drugs at area hospitals.

At a California gas station, ICE agents surrounded a man who was taking his pregnant wife to the hospital to deliver their baby, demanding that he show identification. Having forgotten his documents at home in the rush to get to the hospital, the husband offered to go get them. Refusing to allow him to do so, ICE agents handcuffed and arrested the man for not having an ID with him, leaving his wife to find her way alone to the hospital. The father of five, including the newborn, has lived and worked in the U.S. for 12 years with his wife.

These are not isolated incidents.

These cases are legion.

This is what a state of undeclared martial law looks like, when you can be arrested, tasered, shot, brutalized and in some cases killed merely for not complying with a government agent’s order or not complying fast enough.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Ok this off topic but does anyone remember that cat killer that still hasn't been stopped the us has one this person has the same mo as the same one here in the uk it makes me wonder if it's the same person.

Ps I would post the report on this but it's paywalled and sorry for going off topic.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Meanwhile, on the police brutality front, things don't improve...

Police in a small Georgia town tasered a 5-foot-2, 87-year-old woman who was using a kitchen knife to cut dandelions for use in a recipe. Police claim they had no choice but to taser the old woman, who does not speak English but was smiling at police to indicate she was friendly, because she failed to comply with orders to put down the knife.
I thought I’d pick the first of these incidents and look at a news report about it. This woman was wandering on a bicycle trail with a knife, and was the subject of a 911 call from a member of the public. She had lived in the USA for 20 years, yet apparently couldn’t speak English:

“...he and the other officer repeatedly told the woman to put down the knife, and that he even pulled out his pocket knife and threw it on the ground to demonstrate.”

"That was the whole goal, to try to avoid using any type of force, but if we have to use force, use the minimum force," he said. "No one wants to tase anyone, much less an 87-year-old woman.

"But then again what do we do? Do we try to go hands-on? She could have been hurt just as easily, or even fell on the knife itself," he said. "Lord help us if she had tried to stop the officer and held the knife in an aggressive manner, and then deadly force would have been used."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/happened-mayberry-asks-relative-87-year-georgia-woman/story?id=57193494

There are approximately 900,000 police officers in the USA, and about 327,000,000 people. I can’t begin to quantify how many police/public interactions there are daily. To cherry pick a handful of those interactions and pontificate that it demonstrates that “undeclared martial law” exists is, in a gross understatement, unsubstantiated.

maximus otter

Analis

Justified & Ancient
Well, if they're two policemen, and they're unable to disarm a 87-year-old woman, even unbalanced, and without having her falling on the blade, they definitely do have a problem. But when the police are constantly told that they can resort to disproportionate violence even when they're not seriously in danger, they develop a feeling of being allowed to do everything they like to avoid the slightest trouble and to take the easiest option.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
... when the police are constantly told that they can resort to disproportionate violence even when they're not seriously in danger...
By whom, and when?

It's extremely easy to be a "Monday morning quarterback", and resort to "coulda-woulda-shoulda", to use US idioms.

In my undistinguished career, one of the times I came closest to grave injury was at the hands of a retired school teacher in his sixties, in his own home. I didn't know that he was - in the words of a subsequent psychiatric examination - "floridly psychotic" until he smashed a water glass and tried to go for my face with it.

Even here in good ol' Blighty we were told in Officer Safety Training that any contact with a member of the public involved one of only two levels of risk: High or Unknown.

Regrettably being a policeman is like being a doctor in several respects, the relevant one here being that everyone thinks they know how to do it better than its actual practitioners.

maximus otter

Status
Not open for further replies.