• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

Without knowing the actual speed and trajectory of the drone, it isn't possible to know exactly what the sphere is doing. And as Mick West points out, we haven't really 'solved' this sighting; it is just an unknown spherical object moving at an unknown speed.

If the aliens wanted to observe downtown Iraq, they could be using a spherical UFO to do so. However the clip is also consistent with a balloon of unknown origin and function, floating somewhere between the ground and a US Reaper drone.
Thank you for that explanation 'eburacum.' I guess things like this are never really clean-cut events and remains an interesting event.

This is definitely a possibility, but the sphere-shaped UAP in this clip is too small to be a WASP. Compared to the human figures early in the clip, the sphere is at most 2 metres in diameter, and since it is closer to the camera than they are, probably much less. An anti-drone system is one possibility, although we don't seem to have any other details of its mode of operation.

Or it could be just an Iraqi birthday or wedding balloon - they do still have celebrations there, for various reasons.

From the link in my first post:

“The WASP Lite is a compact aerostat offering a smaller footprint than the larger WASP system.”

- And there will be others at both ends of the scale.

maximus otter

I'm thinking that this might be a homegrown equivalent; perhaps the locals release toy balloons every time they see a drone, to distract the operator.
It wouldn't be the first time.
2023-04-23_07-39-51.jpg

Last edited:
If one could have the capacity for a moment and “ put the shoe on the other foot “, if UFOs are real why has the government had such a strong disinformation program for 75 years.

In later life J. Allen Hynek claimed all he did was to “ spin “ everything.

Hynek claimed that Lonnie Zamora at Socorro was a good case for proof of UFOs.

What is the government afraid of ?

Luis Elizondo in his Unidentified History Channel program claimed that he was told to “spin “ UFOs as the work of the devil when he worked for intelligence.

What is the panic over UFOs ?

I think the 'shoe really is on the other foot' now. An 'invisible college' of UFO believers has been at (or near) the heart of the Pentagon for several years now, including Elizondo, Hal Puthoff and Eric Davis, Harry Reid, Chris Mellon and Robert Bigelow. Far from producing disinformation against UFOs these people have been busily producing propaganda in favour of UFOs.

I think this is not really an improvement - whatever the truth is, I'm fairly sure these people are a long way from uncovering it.
https://newrepublic.com/article/162457/government-embrace-ufos-bad-science

It’s easy to dismiss UFOs as a fantasy or a fad, but the money, the connections, and the power wielded by a group of UFO believers—embedded in the defense industry and bent on supplanting material science with a pseudoscientific mysticism straight from the History Channel’s Ancient Aliens—poses a danger to America more real than a flying saucer.

Elizondo Ran the Pentagon’s UFO Unit—and Says the Government Is Withholding Info

A lengthy Popular Mechanics feature on Elizondo and his beliefs:

“Elizondo had to embrace his decision to forgo his corner office at the Pentagon, with its steady and reliable paycheck. Elizondo understood that this was on him. This was his self-appointed mission as a Pentagon whistleblower: to compel the U.S. government to own up to the public about what it knew—to share what he’d seen in his Pentagon days—about UFOs, which have been rebranded UAPs, or unidentified aerial phenomena. He viewed this as a necessary sacrifice.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a43490964/lue-elizondo-ufo-truth/

maximus otter

Elizondo Ran the Pentagon’s UFO Unit—and Says the Government Is Withholding Info

A lengthy Popular Mechanics feature on Elizondo and his beliefs:

“Elizondo had to embrace his decision to forgo his corner office at the Pentagon, with its steady and reliable paycheck. Elizondo understood that this was on him. This was his self-appointed mission as a Pentagon whistleblower: to compel the U.S. government to own up to the public about what it knew—to share what he’d seen in his Pentagon days—about UFOs, which have been rebranded UAPs, or unidentified aerial phenomena. He viewed this as a necessary sacrifice.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a43490964/lue-elizondo-ufo-truth/

maximus otter
A 'not to be forgotten' fact, in fact.

Elizondo is part of the problem, not the solution. He has promoted these videos and other sightings within the Pentagon, until a significant number of people in the US military and government think or believe they show something anomalous, when the truth is quite different.

Most, if not all, of the evidence available to the public so far can be explained by mundane phenomena, such as rogue balloons, stars, distant aircraft, birds and sometimes by spy drones operated by foreign nations. Most of what is left simply lacks enough data to determine one way or the other.

Last edited:
I believe we are close to a UFO event that will not be able to cover up.
I used to feel that way thirty years ago. I'd love you to be right. I suspect it'll continue to rumble on as it always has, with unassailable evidence ever seemingly just beyond our fingertips.

The Pentagon can’t handle the truth.
And if 'the truth' is it's a load of mundane but vaguely observed objects seen through the lens of an astronomically aware but naive society, exaggerated by fakers and attention seekers, can you handle that?

Last edited:
One reason the US Navy and Air Force have started seeing these UAPs is that their equipment is too good at its job. All of a sudden, these jets have forward-looking infra-red detectors mounted on automatic target-seeking gimbal systems, and other sensitive sensor equipment.

This allows them to catch small, distant objects on film that can't easily be identified, while the camera tracks the object at speeds no human could match. In many cases the pilot can't actually see anything. So a small object appears to move rapidly past the aircraft, but in reality the object is moving relatively slowly and all the movement is caused by the aircraft's own flightpath. Humans are not good at interpreting this sort of data, and it needs some complex geometry and mathematics.

As they say something is not Kosher !

Senators Rubio and Warner on the Senate Intelligence Committee are crying foul.

After 3 months when the balloons were shot down at a cost of 1 & 1/2 million dollars, these senators have discovered that the Pentagon is trying to defund the AARO or UFO office illegally.

Not only is the Pentagon is trying to sabotage this office, but they will not let its director to file his reports.

The Pentagon knows what I know, we are not alone.

How much longer can the Pentagon keep fooling the public.

Yeah, it is speculation. But if my country were under surveillance by spy drones I might release balloons just to divert the attention of the operators. It certainly seems to work, whatever these things are.

Interesting analysis on this rationalist website:
https://www.overcomingbias.com/p/my-awkward-situation

There are four main ways to explain UFOs:

1. observers fooled by error/mistakes/hallucinations,
  2. people lying or observers fooled by purposeful hoaxes,
  3. real amazing devices/organisms from secret groups on Earth, or
  4. real amazing devices/organisms from secret groups beyond Earth.
My awkward inference starts here: it seems clear to me that #1 can only plausibly explain a modest fraction of strong dramatic events. Most errors would have to be much closer to gross incompetence than to “oops”. (If you’ve also looked but can’t see this, I just don’t know what to say. Pay more attention?)

Why is that awkward? Because for the last seventy years, elites, especially STEM elites, have had a very strong social consensus against explanations #3,4. Those who say otherwise are ridiculed and excluded.

But that still leaves explanation #2, right? Well, yes, elites are okay with explaining many UFOs this way. But in order to explain most strong dramatic events this way, I just don’t think it works to postulate scattered amateur liars and hoaxers. Instead I think one needs a big conspiracy, wherein a coalition of orgs has secretly and professionally coordinated to spend big budgets over many decades to have many lie, and to fool others via what are essentially magic tricks.

More at the link ...

British Intelligence WW II, Ivan T. Sanderson, was convinced that since the earth is 3/4 water, that UFOs were a civilization under the sea.

Ivan made a startlingly discovery that most UFO sightings were not far from some body of water.

In my younger years I have been up close to UFOs/humanoids and my conclusion is that we are looking at an inter-dimensional situation.

Tennessee has numerous rivers and lakes which is a good environment for UFOs.

Interesting analysis on this rationalist website:
https://www.overcomingbias.com/p/my-awkward-situation
I have had a small number of interesting conversations with Robin Hanson; he is a very clever chap. I even named a fictional planet after him over at Orion's Arm.

But he is dead wrong about a lot of things, including UFOs/ UAPs.

Most importantly, he is dead wrong about the capacity for people to be fooled by errors and mistakes. Human perception just isn't good enough to interpret many phenomena in the sky, especially when those phenomena are short-lived and leave no trace. I have very little doubt that nearly every case that cannot be explained by hoax can be explained by honest error.

And hoaxes are just a consequence of human nature; the mere existence of news reports about UFOs/UAPs is enough to make people report them (this also happened with the airship flap of the late 19th/early 20th century). People want to be a part of this and any other mass-media phenomenon, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

That leaves hallucinations, secret groups on Earth and secret groups in the sky.

UFOs/UAPs caused by hallucinations are very rare indeed; having said that I have encountered a small number of reports triggered by medical conditions, sometimes involving deteriorating eyesight. One's eye-brain system sometimes refuses to accept that it no longer works properly, and fills in the blanks. Curiously the number of reports caused by drink or drugs seems to be very small indeed. (Perhaps people who are drunk/stoned enough to see a UFO forget what they saw, or dismiss it as delirium when they are sober).

Cases caused by 'secret groups on Earth' are almost certainly on the rise; these secret groups on Earth include just about every major military power, in particular but not limited to China, who are investing heavily in stealth, drone and balloon technology. All these technologies have been the root cause of many, many reports in recent years. Note that most balloons involved in recent events seem to have been entirely innocent civilian balloons, although the ones released in Mosul and elsewhere probably had a military purpose.

Cases caused by 'secret groups beyond Earth' would presumably include aliens and extradimensional intelligences. Although I have every faith that aliens exist, and that there may be an infinite number of extradimensional universes that do (and do not) contain intelligence, they are not necessary to explain our current UFOs and UAPs, although they can't ever be ruled out.

Last edited:
WW II British Intelligence, Ivan T. Sanderson, claimed during the war pilots spotting UFOs was very unnerving.

The U.S, and Brits thought it was Germans and the Germans thought it was the U.S. and Brits.

This was UFO worries 75 years ago before drones and CGI ?

I have had a small number of interesting conversations with Robin Hanson; he is a very clever chap. I even named a fictional planet after him over at Orion's Arm.

But he is dead wrong about a lot of things, including UFOs/ UAPs.

Most importantly, he is dead wrong about the capacity for people to be fooled by errors and mistakes. Human perception just isn't good enough to interpret many phenomena in the sky, especially when those phenomena are short-lived and leave no trace. I have very little doubt that nearly every case that cannot be explained by hoax can be explained by honest error.

And hoaxes are just a consequence of human nature; the mere existence of news reports about UFOs/UAPs is enough to make people report them (this also happened with the airship flap of the late 19th/early 20th century). People want to be a part of this and any other mass-media phenomenon, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.

That leaves hallucinations, secret groups on Earth and secret groups in the sky.

UFOs/UAPs caused by hallucinations are very rare indeed; having said that I have encountered a small number of reports triggered by medical conditions, sometimes involving deteriorating eyesight. One's eye-brain system sometimes refuses to accept that it no longer works properly, and fills in the blanks. Curiously the number of reports caused by drink or drugs seems to be very small indeed. (Perhaps people who are drunk/stoned enough to see a UFO forget what they saw, or dismiss it as delirium when they are sober).

Cases caused by 'secret groups on Earth' are almost certainly on the rise; these secret groups on Earth include just about every major military power, in particular but not limited to China, who are investing heavily in stealth, drone and balloon technology. All these technologies have been the root cause of many, many reports in recent years. Note that most balloons involved in recent events seem to have been entirely innocent civilian balloons, although the ones released in Mosul and elsewhere probably had a military purpose.

Cases caused by 'secret groups beyond Earth' would presumably include aliens and extradimensional intelligences. Although I have every faith that aliens exist, and that there may be an infinite number of extradimensional universes that do (and do not) contain intelligence, they are not necessary to explain our current UFOs and UAPs, although they can't ever be ruled out.

Wow. Just f*****g wow.

That is arrogance of the first order there mate. Of course, you are entitled to your opinions, and usually you present as a very intelligent person. But the sly mention of sober and the rest does you no favour whatsoever. Poor.

I'm sorry; I don't think I expressed myself very well.
I tried to point out that very few UFO/UAP cases are caused by drink and drugs, so I tend to discount those as plausible causes for sightings. Also, it seems that very few cases are caused by hallucinations, although I do personally know of a few that fall into that category (which I have described on this forum elsewhere).

(Perhaps people who are drunk/stoned enough to see a UFO forget what they saw, or dismiss it as delirium when they are sober).
This might be the part that you are referring to.

I have taken a few drugs and been drunk on occasion (all many years ago now). I do remember quite vivid hallucinations at times, especially associated with LSD and so on. My experience is that one tends to recognise these events as illusions after you 'sober up', so any curious events you may have experienced are dismissed by your own mind.

One particularly vivid hallucination I had once was a ghostly 'black dog', which would normally be quite an impressive paranormal event; but since I was off my tits at the time, not so much.

Wow. Just f*****g wow.

That is arrogance of the first order there mate. Of course, you are entitled to your opinions, and usually you present as a very intelligent person. But the sly mention of sober and the rest does you no favour whatsoever. Poor.

This isn't really on, even if you do disagree with another poster.

Hopefully @eburacum's subsequent posts clarifying the point he was making, but all the same, what he wrote was not enough to warrant the labels you threw at it.

British Intelligence WW II, Ivan T. Sanderson, was convinced that since the earth is 3/4 water, that UFOs were a civilization under the sea.

Ivan made a startlingly discovery that most UFO sightings were not far from some body of water.

In my younger years I have been up close to UFOs/humanoids and my conclusion is that we are looking at an inter-dimensional situation.

Tennessee has numerous rivers and lakes which is a good environment for UFOs.
People tend to live not far from bodies of water, thus sightings by people will generally be close to bodies of water.

I was really surprised that according to a study from Queensland University 3/4 of the world’s population live near an ocean shore.

I guess that is why beachfront properties are very expensive.

I wonder how they define "live near an ocean shore"?
Apparently nowhere in England is more than 70 miles from coastal waters. My house is about 200 yards from the beach.

The answer seems to vary on the internet, but probably 200 kilometers ( 124 miles ) or less.

Scientist studying brains of fighter pilots encountering UFOs issues warning – ‘aliens have been here for a long time’

Garry Nolan, a professor of pathology at Stanford University in California, said he's “one hundred percent sure that extraterrestrials have visited planet Earth and are still here."

He explained that he examined the brains of fighter pilots who reportedly encountered UFOs.

Nolan described what the brains of these pilots look like.

"If you've ever looked at an MRI of somebody with multiple sclerosis, there's something called white matter disease. It's scarring."

"It's a big white blob, or multiple white blobs, scattered throughout the MRI. It's essentially dead tissue where the immune system has attacked the brain," Nolan said.

He explained: "That's probably the closest thing that you could come to if you wanted to look at a snapshot from one of these individuals. You can pretty quickly see that there's something wrong."

He analyzed approximately 100 patients, mostly "defense or governmental personnel or people working in the aerospace industry," Nolan [said].

https://www.the-sun.com/news/8179669/scientist-garry-nolan-fighter-pilots-ufos-aliens-earth/

maximus otter

Back