• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

Here's an interesting analysis of the other video, which does not seem to be associated with the Nimitz incident at all, and in fact has not been given any kind of provenance or context. This video appears to be a distant plane seen from a rapidly turning Hornet, equipped with a camera in gimbals that rotates in the opposite direction to the turn in order to maintain infra-red lock. The term 'gimbal' seems to give this clip its official name.
https://www.metabunk.org/nyt-gimbal...ounter-with-unknown-object.t9333/#post-216259

The camera was turning sideways as the plane turned in the opposite direction; this was a consequence of the camera's attempts to keep the source in lock.

Something else I noticed on that video is the small dot floating off to the left; I thought it might be a star, which would prove that the IR source was more-or-less stationary; but instead it appears to be a computer-generated 'true north' indicator, which is even better. This object is almost certainly very distant and moving slowly compared to the aircraft.
2) The small dot which moves from left to right in a circular motion is almost certainly a "North Indicator". This is also consistent with the above (and with the video, the symbology is always white regardless of the IR Polarity (White Hot/Black Hot) mode); the camera would initially need to be turned about 54 degrees to the right in order to be looking north, towards the end of the video segment, when the camera is looking due north, the aircraft is also almost flying true north. The object is therefore always within a few degrees of true North of the aircraft.

Last edited:
From BBC news tonight:
"The Pentagon has been running a secret multi-million dollar programme to investigate Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), US media report.

Only a small number of officials were aware of the programme, which began in 2007 and was reportedly closed in 2012.

The brainchild of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Programme was Harry Reid, a retired Democratic senator who was the Senate majority leader at the time."

It seems they were watching the skies after all.

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42379749
Beginning in 2007 and ending in 2012 ? You tell me ! The story appears to be one more diversion. The fact that it is reported by exactely the same mainstream media who don't give a damn about UFOs seems to confirm that it is a short-lived story, a dead-end.

Last edited:
reproeted by exactely the same mainstream media
The two videos from the NY Times have also made their way to youtube. The video parts are the same at the NY Times has.

and

Any further progress on the imminent disclosure? My daughter assures me this time it's for real. She's 10. It's all for real at 10. I wonder.

It's probably connected to Luis Elizondo's new 'commercial venture'.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html
Mr. Elizondo has now joined Mr. Puthoff and another former Defense Department official, Christopher K. Mellon, who was a deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence, in a new commercial venture called To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science. They are speaking publicly about their efforts as their venture aims to raise money for research into U.F.O.s..
Puthoff is of course the twit who was taken in by Uri Geller. If anyone can find the 'truth' he can.

Ok. Much appreciated, ebsy. You remain my personal touchstone on all things extra-terrestrial. Wishing you and yours a merry festivus.

The govt has been investigating ufos on and off for decades ...no surprise there. One wonders why they decide to release this story now. I would like to know who specifically told that journalist about the material they have and more about where it came from. It seemed like he didn't really know very much himself or he simply didn't have time to say in that short tv clip. Does Harry Reid know more..?
Once again it seems like 'much ado about nothing'.

... One wonders why they decide to release this story now. I would like to know who specifically told that journalist about the material they have and more about where it came from. ...

My guess would be Elizondo, now that he could use some publicity to jump-start a new gig.

My guess would be Elizondo, now that he could use some publicity to jump-start a new gig.
Maybe....but supposedly it's Delonge's gig and the others are part of his 'team'. But who approached him and why?
And these guys that were once 'govt' people probably don't need a gig like that for money or fame. I'm guessing they were paid well before and have access to all kinds of private sector gigs.
So...what's the real point of Delonge's project..? Is this about disclosure and ufo enthusiast Tom Delonge? Or is this about something else like disinformation by the govt for their own reasons?
IMHO nothing about this Delonge ufo disclosure thing makes any sense.

ps: My understanding is that the ufo video came from Delonge's group and that no one n the US govt has verified it's authenticity. It would be nice if Elizondo would say exactly how he came to have it.

Last edited:
Any further progress on the imminent disclosure? My daughter assures me this time it's for real. She's 10. It's all for real at 10. I wonder.
They (To The Stars) haven't said anything additional, but I've heard two different guests on fortean subject podcasts say that there are approximately two dozen additional but currently unreleased videos, and that the plan was to release them in the next several months in a coordinated with the press manner as happened with the two released videos. The reputed physical materials are also supposed to be introduced in the same manner.

One of the guests was Grant Cameron on the Midnight in the Desert podcast. Grant stated he had been told about the To The Stars information release a year ago, and the information was released in the manner he was informed it would be. Since he said this after the release, one would have to take his word for that. I forget which other interview subject said the same thing.

What!?
there are approximately two dozen additional but currently unreleased videos, and that the plan was to release them in the next several months in a coordinated with the press manner as happened with the two released videos.
So is this engineered? By whom? Coordination suggests a conspiracy at a high level, although "press" could mean anything from Facebook to Trumptwitting. To what end? Is there a new spate of unholywood films about to be released? I usually think too small. Please tell me we're not being prepped for a global invasion behind military power greater than anything witnessed before. I just got out of a bad old work situation and am anticipating a good new one.

What!?

So is this engineered? By whom? Coordination suggests a conspiracy at a high level, although "press" could mean anything from Facebook to Trumptwitting. To what end? Is there a new spate of unholywood films about to be released? I usually think too small. Please tell me we're not being prepped for a global invasion behind military power greater than anything witnessed before. I just got out of a bad old work situation and am anticipating a good new one.
According to the Grant Cameron interview, the To The Stars group planned out ahead of time how best to introduce what they had, and not just dump it all on their website or facebook or whatever. That is how the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Politico website all had stories at the same time, because Grant said that the To the Stars group had contacted the news sites ahead of time. I lack details on exactly how that works, but it was clear the news organizations had been quietly working on the news articles and it wasn't just coverage of things To The Stars had stuck in a press release or stuck on their website. I personally doubt the NYT or Washington Post would have gone ahead with stories if they felt there were serious potential accuracy issues due to the current US media climate, mistakes would make them a very easy target on other issues.

Since the initial press came from major news sites, I would think that if they indeed have future things planned, it would also be done with major news sites.

Grant only spoke about videos of objects and physical materials. There was no mention of anything like video of occupants, physical occupants on hand, or the like. So no interviews with little green men or bodies to display, no evidence aliens are coming to eat us/turn us into slaves/vaporize us (or help us for that matter), just "here's what we have and we think it's aliens because we can't think of a simpler reason for it".

Phew. So we can get on with life for now?
Packs the Browning back in its box.

Phew. So we can get on with life for now?
Packs the Browning back in its box.
Well, they still could be here to eat us, but the group doesn't seem to be making any claims of that. The materials from his group certainly make it seem like the Vogons won't be building a superspace highway through here in the near future, they mostly seem to be talking about trying to make scientific breakthroughs, which means they plan to be around not on some alien's brunch menu.

It remains to be seen if what Grant said would happen in the next few months will actually happen.

If Trump announced to the world that aliens were here, would anyone believe him?
I don't think I would.

A Browning? How quaint.
Nope. Australian MDF special sidearm. Current. They also use the HK USP 9mm (ASF & SASR).
main-qimg-050fb4f8d439e1335bc93658791bb7aa-c

If Trump announced to the world that aliens were here, would anyone believe him?
I don't think I would.
I don't know - ever since Trump appeared on the scene, I've been more inclined, not less, to believe in aliens.

MrRing,

..The thing I found weird about the motion UFO footage is that the UFO appears to always be in the same place on the screen while the background is moving, which makes me think its something attached to the lens rather than an object far away from the plane,..

Depends upon the sophistication of the aiming computer.

Have you seen the Sophia airborne telescope ?

The telescope on this plane stays locked on the star of choice while the plane moves around it. So you get a similar image of an object locked in the middle of the screen.
I've not seen any such footage, I just know that usually there is variation of some kind when it comes to shooting objects in motion. I would imagine that an object light years away should have a very slow rate of motion to the camera shooting it, so an image shot of something so far away taken by a steady plane should look locked into place. But the UFO should be relatively close to the shooting camera, so there should be more variation. But hey, that's just my take on it.

The so-called 'gimbal' video shows a relatively distant object, filmed from an aircraft that is turning in a fairly tight circle (this explains the movement of the cloud). It seems that the gimbal mechanism that carries the camera is sufficiently responsive to keep the heat source within the target box continually, although the apparent shape seems to rotate quite rapidly at one point; this coincides almost exactly with the camera pointing forward, so this might be some sort of internal readjustment by the camera rather than a real rotation by the source.

To me, the footage you linked looks right and accurate to what I'd expect to see, based on the range of the scope lens and the fact that there is still some movement behind the target showing that it is moving separately from the camera. The UFO footage just looks like it's tracking exactly to the movements of the camera, so it looks like it is artificial to the image and not in space. While it rotates, it doesn't appear to move any other way in space from the camera, remaining perfectly in the same distance away from the camera, not varying by moving further forward or away from the camera, or by going faster or slower than the airplane.

I'm not saying it's not a real phenomenon, it just looks a little weird and not what I would expect from "for-reals" UFO footage.

I can definitely see some movement of the camera around the object when it rotates, suggesting that we have indeed object locked by the targetting system, but managing to keep at exactely the same distance. The audio also indicates that the pilot is definitively following something material.
That being said, I agree with you that the fact that we do not have the acquisition/lock on phase, nor the phase when the object is leaving on the videos, is problematic, in addition of any linking of any of the videos with the Nimitz sighting remaining tentative only in lack of further evidence. There seems to be a policy of editing these crucial phases, as if the leakers were intent to keep some doubt on the authenticity of the videos.

There seems to be a policy of editing these crucial phases, as if the leakers were intent to keep some doubt on the authenticity of the videos.
I'd concur, intent on ambiguity certainly. But that might well be mundane, the leaving out of critical information of how the systems work or potential weaknesses.

I've come to the conclusion that the source in the 'gimbal' video is either stationary or moving directly away from the camera. The angle of the FLIR changes during the clip, from a wide angle to pointing straight ahead, and at the same time the source seems to slow down and become apparently stationary above the clouds. I suspect the clouds are on the order of twice as far away as the source, whatever it may be. The movement of the clouds is caused by parallax effects alone.

Here's a clip (not by me ) that shows exactly how this illusion of movement could arise.
"
"

Note as well that we have very few details on where this was filmed; no-one has yet suggested that it is connected with the Nimitz encounter, and some have suggested that it is nothing more than a FLIR training video or gimbal operation test. The weird looking source could be caused by a fairly normal plane with a bright heat source, with a rotating lens flare caused by imperfections in the camera lens itself.

None of this explains the other clip, which does seem to be associated with the Nimitz event in some way.

Last edited:
Two things to bear in mind here;
1/ Fravour did not take the Nimitz movie, it was taken by a different crew that went out later. I think it is entirely possible that Fravour has seen this move after the event, and may have retroactively tailored his memories and impressions of the event by watching the clip. For instance he describes the object as 'jumping about'- as far as I can tell, the apparent jumpiness of the source and the rapid movement at the end of the clip are caused by the movements of the camera and changes in magnification.
2/ Fravour is shown in this clip in the same frame as the irrelevant 'gimbal' clip, which does not appear to have anything to do with the Nimitz/Princeton event, as far as I can tell from the limited information released. They seem to be trying to make the 'gimbal' clip appear more relevant by association.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d-M2MS1FIB0/maxresdefault.jpg
But that might just be poor journalism.

Pentagon’s mysterious project breathes new life into UFO research

That’s what investigative journalist and author Leslie Kean says of UFOs.

“It’s completely rational to be interested and to try to figure out what’s going on with this,” she told WTOP.

Kean co-authored a stunning article in The New York Times late last year that revealed the existence of the Pentagon’s secret project to investigate unidentified flying objects — the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (AATIP).

Months later, this is still earth-shaking news to those eager for the truth.

That’s because the last known government program to investigate UFO encounters — the Air Force’s Project Blue Book — officially ended almost 50 years ago in 1969.

“The researchers in this area have always speculated and wondered what is going on behind the scenes. Is there a government investigation into this? And now we know that the answer is yes,” Kean said. “It just establishes a credibility for the topic for people to know that our government takes it seriously enough to have put financial resources into it and to have studied it for all these years.”

According to the Times, $22 million was spent on AATIP from 2007 through the end of 2011. And although the funding stopped, Kean says the project did not.

“We know that this program existed, it still exists, and it investigated military cases and very significant cases of pilot encounters with these objects,” said Kean, who authored the 2010 New York Times best-selling book “UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on The Record.”

Kean wants to make something clear: Unidentified flying objects are not necessarily spacecraft piloted by extraterrestrials.

“You can’t take the leap of looking at something that’s unexplained and then assuming that it’s alien,” she said.

But one of the encounters AATIP investigated involved UFOs that appeared to do incredible things no known aircraft is capable of.

About 13 years ago, numerous members of the military spotted mystery objects off the coast of San Diego.

“These objects in this one incident in 2004 were actually observed coming in from outer space. They came in and then they went out, up into the sky. So whatever that means, that’s what happened. They were also seen able to move very, very, very fast from one space to another. Way faster than any airplane could do,” said Kean.

The Pentagon program’s conclusions, if any, are not known, and Kean says more people should be studying UFOs without fear of ridicule.

“Professional people feel like they’re going to be laughed at, and it’s the same problem for scientists and academic institutions and universities and research facilities who want to work on this topic, but they feel that it would be detrimental to their careers. So it continues to be a problem, unfortunately,” Kean said.

“But I really hope it’s changing, and I think it is.”

Editor’s note: This is the first story in a three-part series about UFOs, studies into them and local sightings.

https://wtop.com/government/2018/03...-project-breathes-new-life-into-ufo-research/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pentagon’s mysterious project breathes new life into UFO research

Just listened to a fascinating two parter on this subject on the Astonishing Legends podcast.

One of their researchers is the new director of research at mufon. Just about to listen to an interview with him.

...About 13 years ago, numerous members of the military spotted mystery objects off the coast of San Diego...

The location could be very significant in this case.

INT21

The location could be very significant
Agreed. The US Naval base there is of huge strategic importance, at least on a terrestrial/conventional scale. It is, therefore, an expected target of interest from other non-allied nations.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to discover that there are similar phenomena occuring off Murmansk and the Kola penninsula? Or at Shandong/Guandong/Nampo? But just under-reported?

I suspect that idiot Kean is talking about the 2004 Nimitz incident. The Metabunk analysis is very good; the few seconds of film we have access to seems to show a fairly conventional aircraft, although there is some suggestion that it may have been a submarine launched drone.
https://www.metabunk.org/2004-uss-nimitz-tic-tac-ufo-flir-footage.t9190/

INT21 said:
The location could be very significant in this case.
The Nimitz was in a test range, one of several in that part of the ocean. I suspect that they were observing tests of equipment in a neighbouring test range, but they were not informed abut the nature of those tests for some reason.
This post from Metabunk makes a similar conjecture.
https://www.metabunk.org/2004-uss-nimitz-tic-tac-ufo-flir-footage.t9190/page-5#post-217604
I don't believe anything would have been allowed to enter their exercise area. I do think it's possible that the Hornets flew near the edge of their exercise area and were looking at an object in another exercise area. In that case, it could be virtually anything in the Navy's inventory. Anything in the world really, as this area hosts other Navies for exercises too.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/footage-of-mysterious-object-above-ocean-stuns-military-personnel/

Footage of mysterious object above ocean stuns military personnel

Newly-released video of a mysterious object streaking over the Atlantic Ocean shows the Pentagon needs to take UFOs seriously, a researcher says.

The sensational two-minute clip captured by a camera aboard a US Navy F/A 18 jet flying at 25,000 feet wowed military personnel.

“What the f— is that thing?” shouted the pilot in the video posted online by the To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science, a private research company.

“Oh my gosh dude!” exclaimed the jet’s weapons systems officer.

The video was shot off the East Coast in 2015. To the Stars Academy did not say how it obtained the declassified footage, but said others could obtain it through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Three videos showing similar incidents became public last year in reports of $22 million in Pentagon spending on UFO research.

The videos, along with observations by pilots and radar operators, “appear to provide evidence of the existence of aircraft far superior to anything possessed by the United States or its allies,” writes Christopher Mellon, a former defense official in the George W. Bush and Clinton administrations and an adviser to To the Stars Academy.

Back