• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S.Navy Aircraft carrier UL

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
I was told some years ago, that on board U.S. Navy aircraft carriers, if an officer goes below decks, in amongst the mass of ordinary seamen, he is accompanied by two marines, presumably for protection.

Any truth in this? Any comments?

I've heard the same story, but not just Aircraft Carriers but all ships. It was said to be during the Vietnam war, and that the reason was that the crew were all on drugs.

I served in U.S. Navy from 1973 to '77,and I never heard of anything like this.

Didn't Ruffready have his Navy Wings? He may be able to answer this one.

US aircraft carriers are vast machines, with a social/ racial mix, not unlike US cities, similiar problems as well. I suppose it may be a bit like the (futuristic?) tv prison series, 'OZ', only slightly more disciplined.

Research, based on a drunken weekend, a couple of decades ago, trying to keep a stramashed, US able seaman out of trouble, on shore leave in the Northern Isles of Scotland:

Major Kraut said:

That sounds like a fairly authoratively dealt death-blow for this UL then.

unless the practice dates from the time when "sailors" were "conscripted" usually when pissed for the navy as it was then. the captian id imagine wasnt well liked :D

Major Kraut said:

I suppose that like most UL's this one had enough credibility to be acceptable, but is pretty much dead in the water now.
The thing that made it believable was probably reports of how many officers were "'Fragged" in Vietnam leading me to believe that the standing of U.S. military officers was not so high with their men.

Back