• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You posted a context-free picture of a boat as though it was some sort of smoking gun. I was trying to suggest that something more concrete in the way of evidence might be needed. Otherwise, we could just point our fingers at any regime we might not like very much.

Oh right, I see.

Well here's the link to the BBC website I referred to, where you can read their full report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

It certainly looks more like the same boat in the night-sight video than the Kremlin does.

A clearer photo of the Iranian boat, taken before nightfall, from the BBC website where, incidentally, they conclude that Iran was probably behind the attacks.
If Iran still wants to plead not guilty, then all they have to do is issue a statement explaining precisely what their patrol boat was doing, at night, alongside the tanker.

View attachment 18170

Is that the whole photo? It doesn't prove anything other than... it's a boat. On water. Somewhere.

Read the BBC article. The inference is that it is the same Iranian boat, as shown in the night-vision video, alongside the tanker.

I have read the article, thank you. :) I don't particularly care for the inference from BBC "journalists".

It doesn't change the fact that it is simply a picture of a boat, and the night-vision video may well be a picture of a similar (or the same) boat beside the tanker, but I still don't take that as proof of anything more than a boat was on a body of water somewhere (which may or may not be the gulf).

Proof, would be something like:
Definitively being able to tell that these boats were filmed in the Gulf
Definitively being able to tell that Iranian people attacked the tanker
Iran standing up and putting their hand up in the air and saying "please Sir, sorry, it was me Sir"

Proof is not:
A video of a boat beside a tanker
A picture of a boat which looks like the one in the video
Being unable to tell (a) who is on the boat and (b) where the boat is and (c) where the boat and tanker are.
Being unable to tell when the photo and video were taken.

:)

There is a simple (relatively) way around this.

Assist all countries who want to build reactors for power generation.

On the condition they be Thorium LFTRs.

You can't produce fissile material with these.

And they do have other advantages.

INT21.

There is a simple (relatively) way around this.

Assist all countries who want to build reactors for power generation.

On the condition they be Thorium LFTRs.

You can't produce fissile material with these.

And they do have other advantages.

INT21.

Disagree strongly.

As Chernobyl, Fukoshima, Three Mile Island and even more minor incidents at Windscale (aka Sellafield) show, nuclear energy can never be truly safe. The stakes are ridiculously high and we need to focus on renewable energy, which is something the UK can be proud of, having recently built the world's largest off-shore wind farm.

Obviously unlike yourself, I fully support the nuclear non-proliferation treaty and I would dearly love to see nuclear power phased out completely.
Far better to focus on a sustainable level of population and renewable energy.

BMCS,

The problems with the normal sustainable can be demonstrated by looking out of my window. it's grey and overcast.

Has been that way for days. Not good news for the people who invested in solar. and the wind doesn't blow all the time.

I do agree that a combination of all the options will be a great help. But industry in particular need lots of electricity on demand.

The two nuclear accidents you mention are not good poster boys for nuclear. But they were both caused by human carelessness. Chernobyl was a reckless test, and Fukoshima was down to building the cooling pumps in the wrong place. Three Mile Island was also a cooling problem but of a different kind. Basically a design error.
There is a very good documentary on Three Mile Island. I'll post a link if I can find it again. Sellafield appears to be down to bad design.

But Thorium has one great advantage. It is ' wall away' safe.

This means that if everyone just walked away and left it running, it would fail safely. This is built into the basic design of LFTRs.

There is room for all systems. And with this lemming rush to an all-electric world, we will need them.

INT21.

BMCS,

The problems with the normal sustainable can be demonstrated by looking out of my window. it's grey and overcast.

Has been that way for days. Not good news for the people who invested in solar. and the wind doesn't blow all the time.

I do agree that a combination of all the options will be a great help. But industry in particular need lots of electricity on demand.

The two nuclear accidents you mention are not good poster boys for nuclear. But they were both caused by human carelessness. Chernobyl was a reckless test, and Fukoshima was down to building the cooling pumps in the wrong place. Three Mile Island was also a cooling problem but of a different kind. Basically a design error.
There is a very good documentary on Three Mile Island. I'll post a link if I can find it again. Sellafield appears to be down to bad design.

But Thorium has one great advantage. It is ' wall away' safe.

This means that if everyone just walked away and left it running, it would fail safely. This is built into the basic design of LFTRs.

There is room for all systems. And with this lemming rush to an all-electric world, we will need them.

INT21.

Thanks for the info and I'll look into thorium.
It will take a lot to persuade me that nuclear, of whatever flavour, is truly safe though.

Nothing is truly safe.

Sadly, compromise has to be made.

Here is the video I mentioned. well worth a watch.

INT21.

Last edited:
I can't see anything.

If you can't, Google 'Who Killed Three Mile Island'.

Hasn't Iran already turned down that simple solution?

I don't know, Do you have a link to this info ?

In the long term, all countries should switch to Thorium.

INT21.

p.s. I saw a headline today (on Bloomberg, I think) that the UK is going to build a massive battery storage system.

Xanatic,

I remember that deal.

But did you really expect Iran to agree to it ?

A bit like a mother saying to a child 'give me your bag of sweeties and I'll give you one when I think you deserve it.

No way, Ivan.

INT21.

P.s, Now on the Linux machine, And , Yay, I can see the pictures. :)

Nothing is truly safe.

Sadly, compromise has to be made.

Here is the video I mentioned. well worth a watch.

INT21.

Very interesting video, thanks for posting that.

Nuclear power stations should be safe (and I'd much rather we had them rather than ugly wind turbines all over the place) but if only we could get rid of the chains of errors that always seem to plague these things. It's always a catalogue of errors, rather than just one thing going wrong. I shook my head several times watching this video (although, as it says, 'tis easy to do in hindsight).

Now they are saying they have fingerprints, leading to such questions as how fingerprints survived a blast that put a hole in steel hull, and how they determined that the fingerprints are Iranian.

Next up, the discovery that "The mine fragment had "MADE IN IRAN CITY, IRAN, BY DEATH TO AMERICA MUNITIONS LLC" freshly stenciled on the side."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-to-iran-in-gulf-tanker-attack-idUSKCN1TK1DX

"Kido also said NAVCENT had collected biometric information including fingerprints from the ship’s hull that would help in crafting a criminal case against the assailants. "

Now they are saying they have fingerprints, leading to such questions as how fingerprints survived a blast that put a hole in steel hull, and how they determined that the fingerprints are Iranian.

Next up, the discovery that "The mine fragment had "MADE IN IRAN CITY, IRAN, BY DEATH TO AMERICA MUNITIONS LLC" freshly stenciled on the side."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-to-iran-in-gulf-tanker-attack-idUSKCN1TK1DX

"Kido also said NAVCENT had collected biometric information including fingerprints from the ship’s hull that would help in crafting a criminal case against the assailants. "

Behold, I have the proof right here:

1560964885113.png

This image of a fingerprint proves the Iranians did it.

Well it's convinced Angela Merkel that Iran was to blame - unless of course you know better ....?

Now they are saying they have fingerprints, leading to such questions as how fingerprints survived a blast that put a hole in steel hull ...

Latent fingerprints can survive an explosion or blast. The primary factor of concern is exposure to heat, which can evaporate the water in the residue constituting the latent print.

Forensic Investigation of Explosions, Second Edition
Alexander Beveridge (Ed.), 2011

Check the relevant section on page 145 in the Google Books presentation.

Are they refering to fingerprints around the area of the devise

Iran says the drone violated it's airspace. Interesting though, drones carry missiles, the crew of one of the damaged tankers claimed that they were subjected to missile attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back