• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Sizing Up Iran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will not be debated at length here, as has been said already please keep on topic. Thank you.

With respect Gordon, a brief mention has to be not only relevant to the topic of whether the USA and Iran go to full scale war, but essential?
The timings of general and mid-term elections are one of the contributors on whether elected leaders of countries decide or not to enter into conflicts.

Limited conflicts can also have a positive effect on one's standing with the electorate i.e. Thatcher after the Falklands.

With respect Gordon, a brief mention has to be not only relevant to the topic of whether the USA and Iran go to full scale war, but essential?
The timings of general and mid-term elections are one of the contributors on whether elected leaders of countries decide or not to enter into conflicts.

Limited conflicts can also have a positive effect on one's standing with the electorate i.e. Thatcher after the Falklands.
As was mentioned on this thread yesterday by Stu Neville
Iran, for the moment, has so much murk going on that it's placed correctly. As for the potential actors - we know about Trump, we know about Israel, we know about Saudi. In the context of this thread, we're only interested in their direct relationship to this thread. Please let us keep to that,
. Please stick to this.

"Iran has breached the limit on its stockpile of low-enriched uranium set under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, a watchdog has confirmed.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said its inspectors had verified the 300kg (660lb) cap had been exceeded."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48784786

This attack on Syria will heighten tensions in the region given that civilians were killed and Iranian targets struck.

JERUSALEM — Israeli warplanes struck several military sites in Syria overnight and killed several fighters and civilians, Syrian state media reported on Monday, in what appeared to be a stepping up of Israel’s long-running, partly covert campaign to thwart Iranian military entrenchment in Syria and stop weapon transfers to Lebanon.

The warplanes fired missiles from Lebanese airspace, according to SANA, the official Syrian news agency, which reported that a baby was among four civilians who were killed. The airstrikes hit a variety of targets, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based monitoring group identified with the Syrian opposition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/world/middleeast/israel-syria-airstrikes.html

This attack on Syria will heighten tensions in the region given that civilians were killed and Iranian targets struck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/world/middleeast/israel-syria-airstrikes.html

Israel has cast doubts on the civilian deaths, in that the targets were all military ones.

This type of missile attack on Syrian Army, Hezbollah and Iranian military infrastructure in Syria attack is nothing unusual, Israel has conducted around 150 of these since the Syrian War started.

Israel has cast doubts on the civilian deaths, in that the targets were all military ones.

This type of missile attack on Syrian Army, Hezbollah and Iranian military infrastructure in Syria attack is nothing unusual, Israel has conducted around 150 of these since the Syrian War started.

These attacks have indirectly assisted ISI and AQ. In any case the attacks are in breach of International Law. If it's legitimate for Israel to attack Syria then by the same logic it's legitimate for Syria and it's allies to bomb Israel. But Hardly legal.

It should be noted that the civilian casualties were confirmed by a (non-fundamentalist) Syrian opposition group.

By striking at Iranian targets at a time of such high tension it looks as if Israel is trying to provoke a response.

Last edited:
That is old kit that Russia sells to its allies. It's an old design.

Very likely. But if Russian missiles, whether launched by real Russians or Assad's thugs hit Cyprus again and kill Cypriots or Western holidaymakers, that would be one hell of an escalation.

On the bright side, it hit Northern Cyprus (joke).

But can we not get dragged into the Syria debate--this is a conspiracy thread about engineering war against IRAN.

Sorry Yith. I thought Ramon had broadened the scope of the thread by referring to Syria and Israel.

Sorry Yith. I thought Ramon had broadened the scope of the thread by referring to Syria and Israel.

I only did so because at such a sensitive time, danger of war in the Gulf between US and Iran, Israel shouldn't be hitting Iranian targets with Pre-emptive strikes. As Victory pointed out it has happened 150 times before. I haven't posted about it 150 times.

And it is bizarre that a rocket should go so far astray.

And also sorry Yith if I broadened out the debate.

What are the consequences... ramifications... if a missile lobbed from one country to another, hits a completely different country?

To me it seems scary, but I know next to nowt about war etc.

What are the consequences... ramifications... if a missile lobbed from one country to another, hits a completely different country?

The country that fired it really should pay damages without having to be pursued through the courts.

The country that fired it really should pay damages without having to be pursued through the courts.

Trouble is in determining culpability.
It may have been one of Assad's thugs who actually pressed the fire button, but it may well have been Russia pulling the strings.

Russian missile, supposedly launched against Israeli war planes, hits Cyprus...

Oleg, Oleg...quickly, Check Wiki - are there any cathedrals?

No, no, no. We did not launch missile. This is fabrication by corrupt Western media. We were merely visiting wonderful island with famous architecture - but the pavements were very hot and dusty, so we went home.

Trouble is in determining culpability.
It may have been one of Assad's thugs who actually pressed the fire button, but it may well have been Russia pulling the strings.

The missile was launched against an aircraft so I really doubt if there was any Russian master plan in operation!

It really isn't any ones interest for a missile to hit North Cyprus, especially not Russia's given the love-in between Putin and Erdogan.

@ramonmercado

Israel has been at war with Syria since 1948.
So not sure legality is an issue.

Iran builds bases in Syria, Israel bombs the bases.
It is business as usual for the last seven years at least.

The potential flashpoint with the USA is the breach of Uranium enrichment levels.
Keep an eye on that.
If anything can be used to leverage all-out USA vs Iran war, that is highly significant.

One thing to keep in mind in all this is that America's economy is going to crash in the next 12 month.

Ignore the stock market and look at earnings etc.

So something will have to happen as a 'distraction'.

Business as usual.

INT21.

One thing to keep in mind in all this is that America's economy is going to crash in the next 12 month.

Ignore the stock market and look at earnings etc.

So something will have to happen as a 'distraction'.

Business as usual.

INT21.
What makes you say that?

Following the trends. And we all know that the Market is a shell game that does not reflect the reality of the situation.
I used to record the USdebt site and compare the trends every month.
The overall situation isn't good. Maybe for a few people in more favourable positions.

But when you look at all the jobs that are being lost, there will be a sudden tipping point. And a recession of unknown severity will follow.
The government has to try and hype it up, what else could they do ?

Remember what caused the 2008 crash. Well, Trump has eased the regulations Obama imposed to stop it happening again. so, round two is on its way.
Compare the rate of house price increases with the wage increases.

Money wise 30 year bonds are returning less than overnights. It should be the other way around.

It does not look good.

INT21.

Following the trends. And we all know that the Market is a shell game that does not reflect the reality of the situation.
There are far too many near-worthless companies with a massively inflated market cap. Those will take a tumble at some point.

Quite so. In fact some of the larger corporations appear to have made less than zero actual profit for a very long time.

Yet the market loves them. It's all a game. See who can be the last to cash out before the crash.

Quite so. In fact some of the larger corporations appear to have made less than zero actual profit for a very long time.
Well, that's more of a dodgy (but permitted) accounting technique to avoid paying tax.
The real profits have been sequestered away.

An interesting thing to bear in mind is that in any deal, someone sells and another buys. Maybe it's a bunch of carrots.

So, someone's requirement is someone else's wage.

When times get hard, people can't buy. No spend means no income for the would-be seller.

And things are tightening up to the extent people are not buying unless they absolutely have to in many cases.

At the simplest level it means that , like myself, people will go into a cafe and just have a coffee when in the past they would have a meal as well.

Cafes can only last so long under these conditions. then they close.

Unemployed folks can't spend.

By not being able to spend at,say, other cafes, this means other cafes workers can't earn.

Vicious downward spiral.

Last edited:
But when you look at all the jobs that are being lost...

“U.S. employers added a robust 263,000 jobs in April, suggesting that businesses have shrugged off earlier concerns that the economy might slow this year and now anticipate strong customer demand.

The unemployment rate fell to a five-decade low of 3.6% from 3.8%...

Average hourly pay rose 3.2% from 12 months earlier, a healthy increase...”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/03/unemployment-rate-april-2019-1300491

maximus otter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back