• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Case No.1

A

Anonymous

Date: spring 1952.
Time: mid day.

I returned from my usual shopping trip and this day my treat was a tin of bubble liquid. On arriving home I sat out in the back garden in my old cut down high chair. After a while my grandmother brought me a bowl of rice pudding for lunch as our main meal was in the evening. I finished my lunch and returned to blowing bubbles. After a while I noticed a humming noise, similar to a humming top or generator.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/ufo1.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
This board is evidently dying a death when we have to resurrect stories as old as this one.

Disagree entirely - there are stacks of threads, scantily regarded for ages, that suddenly get a lease of life years later. A trip to the depths can be somewhat bracing :D.

There's far more to this board than "View Posts Since Last Visit". Try looking deeper, Diabolik8. I've read pretty much every thread on this board, and yet still, I find things I never knew were there.

Oh I agree Stu, it's nice to know these threads haven't been deleted & we can go back to them. It's just that.. Well, there's been a bit of a drought recently hasn't there..

Time of year, mate. Always goes quiet when the days are long.

Diabolik8 said:
This board is evidently dying a death when we have to resurrect stories as old as this one.

chill out, chief. i was just going through some old stories.

The teacher in that story was one ignorant asshole. I had to contend with similar stupidity from teachers when I was at school.

Diabolik8 said:

maybe everything has been debated, so its back to the beginning :)

J_Frank_Parnell said:
Diabolik8 said:

chill out, chief. i was just going through some old stories.

just passing comment, didn't mean to offend.

Diabolik8 said:

Its the first time round for me - as a newcomer of an incredibly advanced age I must say - this board is freakn ace - its the best on the net and now more important than the magazine.

Back to business. Is the author still around or is this a tale that was sent in to the mag years back? I mean, is he out there to answer questions? Specifically about what he refers to as "shackled experiences".

im sure this wasnt from another planet/dimension/time, it was from our planet, now. this is proven by the noise it made, if your an alien and you can build a ship that can travel across galaxies you must be able to do something to make your ship silent (even we can do this with helicopters etc. now). so as it made a sound it was of this planet, and chance are we cant make it silent yet. the origin of the technology may be in question though.

Its a theory - but Im not sure Im with you on that one.

Wondered about 3 experiences of unexplained phenomena accompanied by a consistent physical symptom (the shackled thing - assuming that when he said he had "witnessed this shackled experience on two later occasions while a member of a spiritualist circle" he meant experienced it first hand).

Maybe some kind of medical condition? One linked to sensory abnormalities?

Also, what does he mean by "I have contemplated including his [Alf Ramsay's] biography with four other famous people from the same area"?

Also, what year did the term "Flying Saucer" become popular parlance in the UK, along with traditional images of them?

sounds to me like he dozed off, experienced 'night hag syndrome' & thus not only was paralised, but also 'dreamt the image whilst awake'. it's funny the other situation where he was unable to move was as part of a spiritualist circle. could it be that he was in some altered state of mind then too?

RealPaZZa said:
im sure this wasnt from another planet/dimension/time, it was from our planet, now. this is proven by the noise it made, if your an alien and you can build a ship that can travel across galaxies you must be able to do something to make your ship silent (even we can do this with helicopters etc. now). so as it made a sound it was of this planet, and chance are we cant make it silent yet. the origin of the technology may be in question though.

what? have you been drinking?

nothing personal, but a what a silly theory. silent means its from space, noisy means its from earth, although helicopters can be silent. so things from earth can be silent too. but, er, things from space can't be noisy. what?

surely you jest!

You have to love the teacher in the story... ;)

Diabolik8 said:
sounds to me like he dozed off, experienced 'night hag syndrome' & thus not only was paralised, but also 'dreamt the image whilst awake'. it's funny the other situation where he was unable to move was as part of a spiritualist circle. could it be that he was in some altered state of mind then too?

i think i've told this before - i live near heathrow, and there was a while, about ten years ago, when i was always hearing wierd humming at night, which freaked me out. i assumed the sound came from the airport (engines of some kind, i guess) and the freaked out feeling just came from the resonance - like some physically unheard sounds can cause uncomfortable feelings cos of their wavelength. all the same, i didn't like to be outside when i heard them - i don't know why, i just knew as soon as i heard the humming, i wanted to be indoors.

anyone, one night, i was having a nightmare. i dreamt a UFO was outside my window and there was a blue beam coming through my window and they were trying to carry me out of my window on this beam, and i was screaming 'no, no, i don't want to go!'. i woke up sweating and shaking - only to fnd that not only could i not move, but there was a bright light outside my window, and i could hear the humming again, incredibly loud! i lay there, totally frozen, terrified that my nightmare was true after all. eventually, the light stopped. and i managed to sit up and look out the window.

of course, there was nothing there, and the humming stopped soon afterwards. i put the whole thing down as a 'night hag' experience, complete with watching just too much x-files. the light must have been car headlights. wish i knew what the humming was though. never hear it anymore.

michelleeb1970 said:
i put the whole thing down as a 'night hag' experience, complete with watching just too much x-files. the light must have been car headlights. wish i knew what the humming was though. never hear it anymore.

If the light was car headlights have you considered that the humming may have been a car turning it's engine?

Moooksta said:
michelleeb1970 said:
i put the whole thing down as a 'night hag' experience, complete with watching just too much x-files. the light must have been car headlights. wish i knew what the humming was though. never hear it anymore.

If the light was car headlights have you considered that the humming may have been a car turning it's engine?

nope, cos i know what car turning its engine sounds like, and this was completely different, the humming lasted for hours at a time, and it seemed to come from the sky. plus when i heard it before, it was never in one area,but in a large area, about a couple of miles square, and the level of sound never varied, it never got any louder or quieter no matter which direction i walked, so it cant have been a car, cos that would have been isolated in one place, and wouldn't have been heard more than two streets - and the humming that night was defintely the same humming i used to hear outside. it was quite a loud sound, and i wasn't the only one who heard it, either. 'humming' makes it sound quiet, but it was loud, and sed to make me feel my bones were vibrating. that's why i thought an engine of some kind - some fighter jet planes used to make me feel like that when they flew over. but they wouldn't hover over a built-up area, in the middle of several dozen flighnt paths, for three or four hours at a time. besides, the sky was sometimes completely clear, and i could see no plas except for the ones flying to heathrow, which i could as a distinctly seperate sound (i've lived near airports all my life, so i can distinguish the sound of on aircraft from another)

besides that particular night, the humming continued after the lights had gone.

michelleeb1970 said:
...and i wasn't the only one who heard it, either....

besides that particular night, the humming continued after the lights had gone.

So a witness to your near UFO abduction story then? Pretty cool, did they see the blue beam coming through the window or what?

A bit of confusion...in your first post you say "you assumed it was from a plane" yet your second post you say you've lived near airports all your life and can distinguish the noise of one aircraft from another, this wasn't. Yet in your first post you assumed it was from a plane.

Mind you if the headlights of the car weren't on and the humming continued I'd be thinking like you as well. Very strange indeed!

Anyway I digress, back on thread.

mooks out

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

UFO CASE No.1

Date: spring 1952.
Time: mid day.

Witness orientation: South to North.Object passing: WNW to ESE.
Sky: Cloudy bright with sun trying to break, approx. 75% cloud cover.

I returned from my usual shopping trip and this day my treat was a tin of bubble liquid. On arriving home I sat out in the back garden in my old cut down high chair. After a while my grandmother brought me a bowl of rice pudding for lunch as our main meal was in the evening. I finished my lunch and returned to blowing bubbles.

After a while I noticed a humming noise, similar to a humming top or generator. I looked around and in the western sky at approximately 10 o'clock I saw what I assumed to be an aeroplane. The plane was on course to pass nearly overhead. As it approached, I noticed it was not a plane after all and my interest grew. The object was a metallic-blue similar to the barrel of a toy Winchester rifle and resembled the shape of a Chinese Koolie hat.

As it came closer, I could see that the shape was in fact ovoid, like a limpet, with a short skirt extending the base by about 20%. Within the recess were red, yellow and white flashing lights around the perimeter. In the centre of the lights there was a deep yellow glow, the shape was also ovoid and in line with the perimeter. When the object was nearly passing overhead, I became nervous and tried to run inside to show my grandmother this strange sight. Try as I might, I was unable to move. (I have witnessed this shackled experience on two later occasions while a member of a spiritualist circle.) My arms and legs were held fast to the chair until the object had passed over me and was over the roof. At this point my limbs were free and I ran into the house shouting out to my grandmother. She was getting on in years, and it took her a few moments for me to get her to come outside the back of the house first, then the front, but the noise had stopped and there was no trace of anything in the sky, bird or plane.

I would like to point out that at the time of the sighting, my only knowledge of fictional space travel was of shell-shaped rockets with tail fins, or sausage-shaped blimps. I had no recollection of saucer-shaped craft till I saw the film The Day The Earth Stood Still with my father, which was after this experience and was not ovoid. Naturally, when I tried to explain the sighting to anyone else I was not taken seriously. Two years later my teacher asked my class to make a model of anything that left a lasting impression. A birthday party, a trip to the seaside, a visit to the zoo or a picnic in the country, I chose to model the UFO. My teacher was not impressed and I was chastised with a ruler in front of the class. She categorically stated "There are no such things, you are telling lies!" she then screwed my work up and put it on show with a note: "David has wasted one and a half hours to make this mess and will be banned from the next art class". After this incident I was reluctant to speak of the sighting for the next 13 years.

There are several questions to be asked here. Was it an infant's over-vivid imagination? Why could I not move my arms and legs till the UFO had passed overhead? What sort of aeroplane was it that could have appeared in that form? Were there any other witnesses? There may have been one, Sir Alf Ramsey was living across the road at that time and I have contemplated including his biography with four other famous people from the same area. Unfortunately, the publishers were not interested, and alas, Sir Alf recently passed away, before I managed to contact him. It is strange how these types of incidents have unusual circumstances as soon as something is going to be made public! After this is puiblished, I sincerely hope the Men in Black do not visit me!

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20011016082931/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/ufo1.shtml

Back