• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Over Edinburgh On ITN News? [5 May 2021]

CharmerKamelion

The (mostly) acceptable face of A.I.
Hi guys. Did anyone see the ITN News at Ten tonight? That is on Wednesday 5th May. I ask because a few minutes into the programme (just moments after the headlines and title music) they cut away from the newsreader Tom Bradby (live from Edinburgh) to pan across the night sky above Edinburgh and I spotted something that looked very UFO-ish streak across the sky (seemingly). It was a small bright white light, and it streaked from screen right across to near top left in a couple of seconds. It looked like it was moving fast and fairly smoothly with a couple of slight jerks (almost like pauses). My partner didn't notice it (without his TV glasses on), so I watched it again on ITV plus 1 at 11pm and sure enough it was there. Could be anything but it did kind of look like a classic 'caught on camera' UFO. With luck someone out there can take a look, check it up on their ITV Hub or whatever catch-up they have. It was I would guess at about 90 seconds after the start of the broadcast, as Tom Bradby is talking about Nicola Sturgeon I think. If anyone goes to the bother of checking and thinks I've wasted their time, I apologise wholeheartedly in advance. Cheers guys - Kam.

(@gordonrutter - have they come back for you at last?! :cool: )

Joking apart (and maybe I'm not) our home NowTV media set-top box is currently offline, so I can't even begin the challenging search for an archived version of this broadcast.

Also, in Scotland we have a curious spin-the -bottle unpredictability between both the ITV and STV media players to complicate things, when it comes to timeshifted online access to ITN/ITV News programmes (also, I may be the only conscious person in Scotland to constantly-puzzle over why we need to see two or three consecutive rewrapped reversions of 'regional' news items throughout the day... perhaps I'm insufficiently-hypnotoxicated)

Err... morning Mods. I'm thinking maybe I should I have put this in General Forteana? I posted it in a bit of a hurry last night, as I was getting ready for beddybyes, so apologies. Please shunt it over there, or wherever, as required. Thanks - Kam

Edit: thread moved to UFOlogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unidentified streaks on TV cameras usually turn out to be nearby insects.

It took a few replays but there does seem to be something there and doing a fair rate of knots not a clue as to what it is.

Edenburogh-UFO2.png

Thanks for checking it out RaM. Yeah, it does look a bit... well.... odd. It might be something mundane... I suppose. The fact that it was (apparently) happening 'live' as part of a national news broadcast made me think it was pretty likely other viewers would have noticed it. I guess anyone who did would have assumed it was 'just one of those things'. And maybe that is what it was.

Well, we are at the peak of the Eta Aquariids meteorite shower and your description sounds like one.
If you're not too familiar with seeing meteorites (most people aren't) you wouldn't realise that they don't slowly flame across the sky for ages like depicted in films.
In fact they are very much 'blink and you miss it' and would indeed take less than a couple of seconds to traverse the entire visible skyscape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eta_Aquariids

What ever it is appears to go up hill from right to left.

Just a thought.... I wonder if ITV News would be interested in taking a look at it themselves? I bet Mr Bradby would be all over it. They might even make it tonight's "And finally....." item, in the absence of any paragliding raccoons.

I'm disappointed in missing the paragliding raccoons article.
Plus there is only so much the TV channels can cover regarding the election 'on the day' due to strict rules - they'd probably be glad of a bit of light-hearted 'and finally' stuff.

I know I'm being really, really boring here, but it looks like it could be a bird to me - flying in a north easterly direction across Princes Street Gardens. I think I can even see a wing flap just as it disappears off screen.

Edinburgh's seagulls are more terrifying than any movie alien. So it's not necessarily an easy out.

(I've also seen a peregrine falcon in that vicinity. I was working high up at the time - it was twilight, but I could see right across the area and watched in awe as every pigeon and seagull in a square mile radius seemed to rise up as one and tumble around the sky in panic. I thought it was going to be a sparrowhawk that had scared them. But no - one of mother nature's lightening bolts shot across the sky just above me and belted down towards the station end of the gardens. Awesome.)

I think you may be right. a gull with a bag of chips in it's sights and a following wing cant half get a spurt on.

You could be on to something with the gull theory Spookdaddy. Isn't it a shame that the boring thing is so often the true thing (shakes head sadly). If it was a gull, you gotta admit it did quite a good impression of something odd tho!!

Instead of phoning Tom Bradby, I've just given Torchwood Edinburgh a ring and stood them down.

Edinburgh is UK city with most UFO sightings, says National Geographic ahead of documentary​

Edinburgh has more UFO sightings than any other place in the UK and half the population believe aliens are real

By Ginny Sanderson
Published 1st May 2023, 12:28 BST
Updated 1st May 2023, 13:02 BST

Edinburgh has more UFO sightings than any other city in the UK, according to research by National Geographic.

The Capital beat London and Leicester to the top spot for spotting unidentified objects in the night skies, with 18 per cent of residents claiming to have spotted one. The study, which surveyed 2,000 adults, also showed almost half - 48 per cent - believe in the existence of aliens. Meanwhile, 10 per cent claim to have witnessed something unusual.

[...]

Nick Pope, a former UFO investigator for the MOD, said: “UFOs are big news now, and a lot of people are reporting - and sometimes filming - extraordinary things. While many people are convinced these sightings involve alien life, most cases turn out to be misidentifications. The chances are there's intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, and even though the vast distances make direct contact a challenge, encountering an alien civilization would be the biggest story in human history.”

The study also found that cities in the north of the UK were more likely to have UFO sightings, with only Bristol and London appearing in the top ten from the south. While 31 per cent of all adults surveyed believe humankind will at some point make contact with aliens from another planet or galaxy.

More than four in ten of those surveyed suspected the government is concealing information about UFOs, and one in three respondents would like to see the Ministry of Defence’s UFO Project, which investigated reports of UFO sightings, reopened.
If aliens visited earth, 41 per cent of those surveyed believe they would be here to carry out scientific study, while 21 per cent fear they would be harvesting the planet for raw materials.

[...]

Pointless parts removed. Full Article:
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....fo-sightings-says-national-geographic-4125525

Edinburgh is UK city with most UFO sightings, says National Geographic ahead of documentary​

Edinburgh has more UFO sightings than any other place in the UK and half the population believe aliens are real

By Ginny Sanderson
Published 1st May 2023, 12:28 BST
Updated 1st May 2023, 13:02 BST

Edinburgh has more UFO sightings than any other city in the UK, according to research by National Geographic.

The Capital beat London and Leicester to the top spot for spotting unidentified objects in the night skies, with 18 per cent of residents claiming to have spotted one. The study, which surveyed 2,000 adults, also showed almost half - 48 per cent - believe in the existence of aliens. Meanwhile, 10 per cent claim to have witnessed something unusual.

[...]

Nick Pope, a former UFO investigator for the MOD, said: “UFOs are big news now, and a lot of people are reporting - and sometimes filming - extraordinary things. While many people are convinced these sightings involve alien life, most cases turn out to be misidentifications. The chances are there's intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, and even though the vast distances make direct contact a challenge, encountering an alien civilization would be the biggest story in human history.”

The study also found that cities in the north of the UK were more likely to have UFO sightings, with only Bristol and London appearing in the top ten from the south. While 31 per cent of all adults surveyed believe humankind will at some point make contact with aliens from another planet or galaxy.

More than four in ten of those surveyed suspected the government is concealing information about UFOs, and one in three respondents would like to see the Ministry of Defence’s UFO Project, which investigated reports of UFO sightings, reopened.
If aliens visited earth, 41 per cent of those surveyed believe they would be here to carry out scientific study, while 21 per cent fear they would be harvesting the planet for raw materials.

[...]

Pointless parts removed. Full Article:
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....fo-sightings-says-national-geographic-4125525
Interesting that cities in the north of the UK have the most UFO sightings along with Bristol and London, as barring the airports on the south coast (next to the sea) this is also where we have the most civilian airfields flying large jets that approach and depart over land and also where the RAF and USAF do most of their low flying.

With Bristol it's very noticeable how the airport approach involves the aircraft flying in a relatively low loop around the town. Look up and you're often seeing landing lights winking on and off as planes make a turn towards you.

With Bristol it's very noticeable how the airport approach involves the aircraft flying in a relatively low loop around the town. Look up and you're often seeing landing lights winking on and off as planes make a turn towards you.
I lived near an airport and, from my house could also see aircraft arriving at Edinburgh some distance away and also a former RAF base and it was quite common to see very bright lights suddenly appearing then hovering before fading away.

Back