• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Sighting In Derby, Mid-90s (IHTM)

zaknsolly

Fresh Blood
Hi,
I’ve not posted before but wanted to recount an experience I had sometime around 1994 or 95. I’ve mentioned it to a few people since but no one ever takes it seriously. It might be a bit more of a ‘it happened to me’ post but it’s slso UFO related. It may also be a bit long, so I apologise!

I was about 18 at the time. One Sunday evening a friend and I decided to go to the cinema in Derby. We travelled the 8 or so miles from the town we lived in in his Ford Fiesta. The journey was uneventful until we drove out of a village called Stanley. Then, as now, when you drive up the hill towards Derby from this village the road passes through trees, past a couple of farms and then after about 2 miles you reach a suburb of Derby called Oakwood.

It was early autumn and going dark and as we passed the trees we both noticed a really bright light in the sky beyond the woods. As we drove further we saw a second light emerging from the first. As we were at almost a right angle to the lights it seemed that they were stationary in the air and our perspective was changing as we were driving.

The road came out of the trees and there were fields to our left. We could now see both lights clearly, both quite widely spaced and could now see a third light in the middle that was flashing intermittently. If anyone reading knows the area, the lights were above the trees over Locko Park (which is a private country estate on the edge of Derby).
My friend had now slowed the car down to walking pace. We noticed that the lights were illuminating the tree line under them, so the lights didn’t seem that high up. Maybe about the height of the trees again above them. These were large well established trees and the lights seemed pretty far apart (maybe 100 feet or so).
We noticed another two cars coming in our direction both of which were also crawling along as the people inside were also staring at these lights.

We soon reached a crossroads where we turned left (we were now deliberately diverting from the route to the cinema), passing the Kings Corner pub where we saw people standing in the pub car park all looking at these lights.

We stopped the car and got out. We noticed that the lights were illuminating the underside of what you could only describe as a huge disc like object. The tree line was now on the other side of some open fields approximately half a mile from us.

It was just sitting there in the air, low enough to light up the tops of trees without causing the slightest disturbance to them. It made no noise. We were dumbstruck, it looked like something from science fiction.

We heard a helicopter and looked above us to see one pass over us and go into a hover whilst appearing to be pointing in the direction of the disc.

Then, slowly, the disc started to move gradually gaining speed until it disappeared over Derby. Other cars had also stopped in the road and people had got out to watch. That added to the general feeling of oddness.

We got back in the car and were both really subdued. We kept asking each other about what we had both seen. I felt really unnerved by the whole thing. We went to the cinema (to see Natural Born Killers) but walked out as neither of us could concentrate. We drove to a pub in Spondon (the part of Derby the disc had flown towards as it moved off). I think we both thought we’d hear people talking about it but no one was. Of course, there was no social media to turn to in those days.

My friend dropped me at home where I had a very restless nights sleep. When I saw my friend a few days later he said he’d also slept poorly. The experience was the topic of conversation between us for several weeks, we searched hard for a rational explanation. We scanned the local newspaper but no mention of it was made.

I think seeing the helicopter hover was the most unnerving part, knowing a trained pilot-someone trained to observe the sky was up there also possibly as puzzled as us by what we saw.

I’ve looked online to see if there’s any mention of that evening from anyone, but never found anything. I lost touch with my friend as we grew into adulthood. The last I heard he was living 60 miles away in Manchester.
People tend to scoff when I tell them about that evening. Thanks for reading.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that.

jenny randles would be the one who could say if its widely known/reported, if shes still around ...

According to IMDb Natural Born Killers was released in the UK on 24 February 1995. This would seem to rule out 1994 for this sighting.

Very interesting sighting, thanks for sharing, and found another sighting from Locko Park:

https://dandare.wordpress.com/tag/mod/

Scroll down towards the end of the page.

Looking at Locko Park on Google maps shows it to be holding some sort of festival, with numerous tents, marquees and possibly a stage. Is it possible that some kind of event being staged that night was the cause? Might explain why it never made the papers> Not seeking to belittle your experience, but it is a possibility

Thanks for all your replies. Paul, I read the link you supplied with interest. Locko Park does have events at times. From what I recall the lights we saw that night did not appear to be shining up from the ground onto low cloud or onto the tree line. The source of the lights definitely appeared to be from something in the air. They were visible until they went out of sight over the Spondon area. I found some more information online which I’ll try and add a link to below. Although these sightings are not specifically disc shaped, there were clearly many people around Derbyshire in the mid 1990s seeing unusual things in the skies.
http://www.checktheevidence.com/pdf/Flying Triangle Mystery - Omar Fowler.pdf

Back