• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My UFO Sightings Over The Years (GhostofFort)

GhostofFort

Junior Acolyte
Thought I would mention some of my best (of only a few, please note) sightings here. The first was of a classic "disc", or saucer, if one prefers, which I witnessed as a daytime sighting several decades ago. Appearing to be a silver-metallic color, it seemed to be simply cruising along in horizontal flight, not terribly fast, then turned into a vertical position before entering a large cloud, and, evidently, it stayed there-in for some time, as it did not re-appear. It has been speculated that UFOs use clouds occasionally in which to stay out of sight, and this certainly seems to have been the case here.

The other incident occurred a few years later, and involved an "ice cream cone" - like object which passed over the highway say, roughly three hundred feet up, on a bright, sunny day. This latter object appeared more white in color than silver, as the disc did, having what appeared to be two sections to it, or at least, a circular black mark about halfway between the rear-section, and the nose-cone. The nose-cone had a protruding "pole,' which reminded me of an antenna-pole, although I doubt it was actually that. Totally silent, and had no exhaust-flames, or trail visible. Luckily, several others were outside enjoying the warm summer day, and witnessed this "cone" as well. Was in an auto at the time, but if any significant noise was being made, would most likely have heard it, regardless.

Sorry these weren't more spectacular. There have been others, although most have been of the "nocturnal lights" nature. The most interesting of these latter night-time lights was a bright, blood-red light which showed-up in the southeastern sky roughly thirty to sixty minutes after sunset. The most curious thing about it, is that it seemed to prefer showing up only in the spring, and summer months for perhaps two years in a row, maybe three, then vanished for good. Was evidently at a great altitude,for binoculars failed to resolve it as anything more than a bright point of light, perhaps on the edge of space. As far I was able to ascertain, nobody else made any official reports, but then, the ridicule-factor was a good deal more intense for all three of these sightings then, than today.

I'm having trouble understanding why you feel a need to apologize for seeing something that most people cannot see, will never see, will never believe exists. What you saw was spectacular and I'm willing to bet life altering afterwards. I can honestly say that other than 2 or maybe 3 sighting being the same as others have seen, for example the triangle shaped one. I have never had anyone confirm my sightings which disturbed me until I read somewhere that there are as many different stile craft as there are people.

I've seen many in my day and even though I am much calmer now when I do see one, it is still spectacular to experience. Along with frightening and it makes it difficult to go back to my normal everyday routine. But, some how I manage to do so.

Thank you for sharing, Ghost of Fort. :)

Thank you for your comments, michael59. I suppose I felt I should comment myself that these weren't "more spectacular," as I would imagine many hope to hear of an encounter, (or encounters) with occupants, or even an outright abduction experience. To the best of my knowledge, I never have been abducted, and am not sure I would wish to know for certain, really. There are some cases here and there were abductions have been reported which didn't involve hypnosis, although most seem to think of hypnotic regression when abductions are thought of. The Hickson/Parker incident from Pascagoula, Mississippi on 11 October, 1973, for example, occurred when both men, as Parker's recent remarks (after decades of silence) have shown, were aware of the experience as it took place (Charles Hickson passed in 2011). Yes, it certainly changed my outlook on life, you are correct on that.

You mentioned the triangular-shaped UFOs; these seem to be becoming more common, and some exciting footage from "smart" phones seem to be making these sightings (as well as sightings of UFOs generally, and of cryptids, as well) able to be shared by far more widely than they were before the technology of the camera phone existed. Of course, some of the footage (if I may be allowed the use of a somewhat out-of-fate term) are hoaxes which appear on programs like Paranormal Caight on Camera, and its "anthology" spin-off series, Unexplained Caught on Camera, but many others seem to be next to impossible to fake w/o movie studio-class effects. Which abilities, of course, most of us do not possess.

Hi ghost of fort back in the day when I was working.Retired now yippee
I and a few of my co-workers were on a job near a big American radar/spy base.
Anywhoo we began to notice quite a lot off military aircraft flying around so all stood about watching instead of working when four jets fly right above us with a unusual shaped craft in the middle of them.
It was a stealth fighter i am sure of it.But this was a good 12 to 18 months before they were known ??.
Not saying for one moment that you’re story is untrue just that i sometimes think that some of the ufos
are made on earth.Does that make sense

I am sure that the B-1 Stealth fighter was the cause of a number of mistaken UFO reports, Who Me, before it was officially introduced as one of the U.S. Air Force's arsenal of aircraft. The unacknowledged Aurora is said to be able to reach the lower-end of hypersonic speeds, and have stealth capabilities. No doubt that it, too, has been mistaken for an alien craft in occasional test flights, especially in the western desert states. I do credit y Air Force with being bright enough to keep experimental craft generally away from areas where they might be seen (or worse, fi you are familiar with the 1980 Cash-Landrum incident, from 29 December, Dayton, Texas state, which I assume was a test-flight of some vehicle, either one entirely ours, or else an alien vehicle, which went out of control to some extent). My personal feeling is that the technology for these were most probably, obtained from reverse-engineering of alien technology obtained at various UFO crash sites, as-per what Colonel Phillip Corso related shortly before his death, in the book The Day After Roswell (1997), co-written with William Birnes. While I don't agree with everything Corse related in the above, I think the man was trying to be as honest as he could about his career, and general beliefs about my government's policies on UFOs. The fact that he waited until would seem to me that he had no ulterior motives by writing this book at an advanced age, at that. Realize that Roswell is controversial yet to the more skeptical-minded, yet i have become convinced that it was exactly what it appeared to be. My Government used the late Frank Scully's very early book Behind the Flying Saucers, (1950, Holt, 1951 Popular Library) as "cover" for Roswell, and other crashes, which worked spectacularly well on into the 1970's, when both Stanton Firedman, and Leonard H. Stringfield (1920 - 18 December, 1994) finally began to look seriously into the issue of UFO crashes generally, and Roswell in particularly. For those interested in Stringfield, obtain his 1977 book, Situation Red (Fawcett Crest), and in a hardback edition as well, although it can be rather pricey. I in no way intend to discount Dr. Friedman's own work on UFO crashes, but Stringfield's work needs to be acknowledged. He issued a number of "Status Reports" later, often, I believe, with the help of the MUFON (Mutual UFO Network). As I noted, I realize skeptics on both side of the Atlantic have attacked both of these cases with enormous enthusiasm, but I cannot accept that ms. Cash, and Ms. Landrum would have intentionally given themselves radiation poisoning for the sake of a hoax -- claims that they may have go well beyond the pale with me.

I am sure that the B-1 Stealth fighter was the cause of a number of mistaken UFO reports ...

In large part because there's no such thing as a "B-1 Stealth fighter" ...

The B-1 Lancer is a non-stealth bomber.

The "stealth bomber" is the B-2 Spirit.

The so-called "Stealth Fighter" was the F-117.

Thanks for the corrections in my terms, Enola; the errors there do nothing, let me point out, to make any difference to the rest. I understand a successor craft is under development to the Stealth Bomber, or B-2 Spirit.

I would add that the Aurora has been rumored to exist since around the late 1980's, and denied consistently, but, given my Governments history of bending the truth in such matters, I think the denials mean little.

I know some also have claimed that the Ms. Cash, and Ms. Landrum may have had some sort of chemical contamination rather than radiation, but my main point obviously, still stands, about anyone of reasonably sound mind harming themselves intentionally for the sake of a hoax, the odds of that are remarkably small, i think ti safe to say.

Ive seen things at a distance but nothing interesting.

I think there are a lotof things about; people dont notice them.

In 2000 a British man named Chris Gibson witnessed an unknown black triangular craft being refuelled in midair whilst flanked by two F-111 fighter jets. He witnessed this from the North Sea oil rig he was working on. Unfortunately for the US Government, Chris had been a member of the Royal Observer Corps during the Cold War and trained to recognise aircraft. He could categorically state that it was not a known stealth aircraft

source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FjWfBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=gibson+oil++worker+saw+triangular+being+refuelled+two+fighter&source=bl&ots=CjGB2tXWh-&sig=ACfU3U2H28IeXkr8BozOth4TbUc7DCQ1Rw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN_ODwnKzoAhVailwKHcekAU8Q6AEwCnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=gibson oil worker saw triangular being refuelled two fighter&f=false

In 2000 a British man named Chris Gibson witnessed an unknown black triangular craft being refuelled in midair whilst flanked by two F-111 fighter jets. He witnessed this from the North Sea oil rig he was working on. Unfortunately for the US Government, Chris had been a member of the Royal Observer Corps during the Cold War and trained to recognise aircraft. He could categorically state that it was not a known stealth aircraft

source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FjWfBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=gibson+oil++worker+saw+triangular+being+refuelled+two+fighter&source=bl&ots=CjGB2tXWh-&sig=ACfU3U2H28IeXkr8BozOth4TbUc7DCQ1Rw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN_ODwnKzoAhVailwKHcekAU8Q6AEwCnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=gibson oil worker saw triangular being refuelled two fighter&f=false

I think we may have copied the design?

I have little doubt various nations have been trying to develop stealth vehicles for some years, now. Remember, there are increasing accounts of UFO crash retrievals in China, Chile, the former Soviet Union, and others. It only stands to reason that various would be trying to develop their own aircraft, and so forth, from any such finds. The 1950's-ea flying wing aeroplane of the U.S. r was quite unworldly looking, and perhaps an effort to copy recovered items. Its stability was terrible, and, I believe, all of those crashed, eventually. It was some years before triangular-shaped or fully swept-back winged aircraft appeared such as discussed above so it evidently took some years to make similar designs workable. What impresses me about many described since 1980's is the enormous size of some, reported as large as aircraft carriers in some reports. Think unlikely any nation on Earth can power a vehicle of such proportions, for one thing.

It has occurred to myself, an others, no doubt, that UFOs may be observing military installations when seen near-same. Numerous accounts exist of them interfering with both U.S., and Russian nuclear missile silos, for instance. They apparently have the ability to prevent-same from being launched. Or, conversely, of causing them to detonate, so w all best hope the majority of these visitors are not hostile. Of course, this has been true a long time - the Roswell incident itself took place near the airfield home to what was then the world's only atomic bomb squadron.

Since I have only a little more time be online today, let me describe the third, of the best of my own sightings. In chronological order, it actually happened first, note. It was around December, Christmas, I am thinking. I was one of those who picked up habit of checking the sky on a regular basis about as soon as I was able to understand anything on astronomy, and such. Well. This bright "star" came cruising rather slowly just at sunset; it moved slowly enough to be tacked with a small telescope, then, it appeared to descend into a heavilly forested area, jusyt as if it were landing in a secluded area. That time of year, numerous such available, camping grounds, and other fairly-large areas for a possible vehicle. Anyway, it seemed oval-shaped, perhaps due to being tilted somewhat, had appendages which reminded one of landing supports,or legs, a red light at one end, and a longer antenna (?)-like pole at the other end from the red light. Color seemed orange-yellow, but this was probably due to reflecting the setting sun. This went on for at least three evenings, at least, that is how many evenings I noticed the UFO, may have been longer. s far as I know, nobody reported seeing it, due to ridicule fears, I imagine. I was able to get some relations to observe it, and so in pre camera phone days, had it witnessed.

My area isn't heavily populated even today, albeit much more in warm weather months than at that time, some decades ago. I do wish someone had turned some mention in to the local newspaper, but, as noted, fear of ridicule was very high then, not many years after Blue Book had shuttered in an effort to kill interested in the subject. May have been 1972/1973 period; in any case, the UFO phenomenon did not cooperate with Edward Condon,of course, from '73 on. I do feel rather privileged to have seen the objects several times clearly, as one can no doubt expect. Have related these sightings of mine as best as my memory will allow after the passage of this many years.

Just looking through VOL 2 of the Independent UFU Network 1988 booklet.

Includes an investigation of the ufo flap of February 1988 in South Yorkshire.

By David Clarke

Seems things were quite busy in the area back then.

Hope my recollections have proven interesting to my other members here, and some of my thoughts on some famous cases generally.

For those wondering some about when Roswell itself may have been mentioned, and post-Kenneth Arnold case sightings, I seem to have found what may be it in Harold T. Wilkins Flying Saucers on the Attack, (1954, Citadel Press, NY; I believe known as Flying Saucers on the Moon, 1954, P. Owen; aka Flying Saucers From the Moon, UK, 1954, P. Owen). Its is only a very brief mention, but involves correspondence Wilkins had in the early 1950's preparing this book from an un-named U.S. Army serviceman, as was the usual term in that era. This soldier passed along word to Wilkins that he had been told a UFO (or flying saucer, given the prevailing terminology of the times) had been recovered in a southwestern U.S. state, possibly New Mexico, while still in service. As the unfortunate Frank Scully book, Behind the Flying Saucers, (1950) had been exposed as an unwitting hoax on Scully's part by 1952, I think it can be discounted as what he meant; this would seem to be the earliest possible reference to Roswell I know of. Much later, around 1964, I believe, the late Frank Edwards mentioned in a lecture that he had heard rumors that a UFO had been recovered in the late 1940's in the American Southwest as the other early reference (pre-1970's) to Roswell I have located as-yet.
This, obviously, was not a personal experience, but I wished to mention it. Mr. Wilkins didn't use indexes, and neither did Edwards, although I don't believe he lived long enough to mention it in an inevitable follow-up to Flying Saucers: Serious Business, (1966).

Take care everyone, if I do not come online again in a day or two. Stay safe!

Back online briefly today, people, so a quick update. Some more-stringent restrictions go into effect later today in-regards to the COVID-19 pandemic. So, my online presence will spotty, but wished to assure all I am well at the moment. To be honest, we are isolated enough that, hopefully, the impact of the virus will be minimal for us -- time, as always, will tell.

While leaving a message, I thought back to some of the "nocturnal lights" seen over the years; perhaps one more which left an impression was spotted one evening from the roadway. After pulling over, we could tell this was a reddish-object, for lack of a better term, which resembled, closely, a tube with red, lighted sections. I cannot recall at this point in time just how many sections, but there were several. This flew at a modest pace, allowing a good look at it -- did not appear to be an aircraft of the normal variety, eventually going out of sight. It WAS unusual enough that I thought it worth posting about here, though, obviously, one could not be sure of the nature of such a sighting.

I suppose it is easy enough for we in the U.S. to forget that England/Scotland/Wales/ N. Ireland are relatively-small in comparison to many of our States here, and, I also expect, your historic cities,and town often much more congested than many areas here. Keep the Fortean films for us making their way across the Atlantic, naturally -- have seen some impressive camera phone footage (if I may be permitted usage of a dated-term) on various Fortean television, including a nice sighting near Banbury, I believe. (Paranormal Caught on Camera). Stay well, my friends and, hopefully, matters will be back to more-normal fairly-soon.

Thanks to everyone who's re[lied here. Unsure when I'll be on line again; so far, my own state has done well with the virus outbreak, but that could change quickly.

If any more of the odd nocturnal lights I have seen seem to stand out more, I will make some mention when I can.

Stay well, everyone.

Back very briefly, people. The COVID-19 virus may be getting closer; we have largely been spared due to the isolated bature of my county. It's being reported some church gatherings, of all things, may have exposed some people.As some fo you may, or may not have heard,s everal pastors have been arrested for ignoring orders against large gatherings. i would never step on anyone's faiths, whatever they may be, but common sense does seem in short supply as often as not, I am afraid.

I also wanted to put out a question of my own regarding nocturnal lights; has anyone ELSE here ever saw ones, sometimes not terribly bright lights, which simply faded out? I was friends for some years with Lucius Farish, who issued the old UFO NEWSCLIPPING SERVICE, or UFONS 'til the internet led him to discontinue it in the 2000's, I am thinking. He suggested possibly some of them might have been space junk reflecting sunlight oddly, although this would not seem overly-likely in all cases.

In any case, I know the UK is having a rough time, so my best to you all, and I hope to get back in a few days, maybe.

Am able to be online a time today, and wanted to mention Albert M. Chop, who passed away too far back (2006) for an actual obituary, but he was an important figure in the early days of modern ufology, as Chief of the Press section at our Pentagon in the early 1950's. Chop was also present in the Washington National Airport radar control tower the night of the famous 26 July, 1952 Washington, D.C. UFO incident when fighters were unsuccessfully scrambled against the a number of unknowns. His famous letter to Major Donald E. Keyhoe appears on the rear-panel of Keyhoe's classic work, Flying Saucers from Outer Space, (1953, Henry Holt & Co.), something which caused a modest riff between the two men, although they soon reconciled. Chop is also the subject of what is the firs full-length English-language documentary on UFOs of which I am aware, UFO: The True Story of Flying Saucers, (United Artists, 1956). I believe this is available free online, and I do recommend it. Features the film footage taken by the late Nicholas Mariana in 1950, and the July, 1952 film by U.S. Naval Warrant Officer Delbert C. Newhouse (died 2013). Chop was played herein by real-life journalist Tom Towers. Less well-known is the fact that Albert was sometimes the voice of Mission Control in the 1960's, and was largely responsible for having Charles M. Schultz allow "Snoopy" to often be used by NASA to interest children in space exploration. I urge my compatriots here to check out this documentary while they have so much time on their hands. An interview with Mariana is available at wwww.billingsgazette.com.

Stay healthy, my friends.

... I also wanted to put out a question of my own regarding nocturnal lights; has anyone ELSE here ever saw ones, sometimes not terribly bright lights, which simply faded out? I was friends for some years with Lucius Farish, who issued the old UFO NEWSCLIPPING SERVICE, or UFONS 'til the internet led him to discontinue it in the 2000's, I am thinking. He suggested possibly some of them might have been space junk reflecting sunlight oddly, although this would not seem overly-likely in all cases. ...

Yes, I've seen visible orbiting satellites abruptly "fade out." On one occasion I was with a friend sky-watching and tracking the ISS in the very early evening just after it became fully dark. As we watched the ISS progress across the sky we noticed a faster-moving satellite (i.e., "light") off to our west or southwest. This second object appeared to be traveling on approximately the same track as the ISS - trailing the space station and slowly closing on it.

We knew there weren't any ISS supply / rendezvous missions aloft at the time. As we watched the second light closing on the ISS as if pursuing it we joked about it and wondered if we'd see the second light pass the ISS. When it closed to approximately 4 fingers' widths abaft of the ISS the second object suddenly faded out.

In the mean time we'd observed another faster (than ISS) moving satellite on a slightly different track which also faded out abruptly.

We consulted a database and determined both these lights were known satellites orbiting lower than the ISS. After doing some further research we decided both had passed into earth's shadow at their lower altitudes whereas the ISS remained illuminated by the sun not yet all that far below our horizon.

One would expect a similar but reversed "sudden light-up" effect just before dawn.

Could be right, Enola. I have seen the ISS vanish likewise also.

On the other hand, as, I believe, Dr.J. Allen Hynek said somewhere once (possibly in The Hynek UFO Report, (Dell, 1977), not every odd light is an airplane, for instance, and the same no doubt applies here.

Since we are discussing odd sights in the sky, how many here have seen the unknown object which seems to have shattered the 2013 meteoroid over Russia? This has been shown on the television series Paranormal Caught on Camera several times; evidently, Russians have the habit of frequently having dashcams in their autos, and so have the oppertunity of filming unusual sights more often than many others do.
Since it is estimated this "superbolide" over Chelyabinsk was moving at almost 43,000 miles per hour (or roughly Mach 50), no known human missile could have stood a chance of hitting it. The Russian Avangard (or YU-71, or YU-74) is considerably "slower," at Mach 8 to Mach 9. While this "lower-end" asteroid was considerably smaller than the one which caused Barringer meteor crate in Arizona state, USA, it could still have all but devastated the city had it struck the ground intact. It appears somebody did humanity a good turn here...

To return to odd lights, though, space junk and the occasional satellite account for many of those which fade out, or appear to blink out, no doubt.

Take care.

Clearly you haven't seen the footage of the unknown object slicing-through the above referred-to small asteroid, WeirdExeter. I doubt if anything short of a small nuclear device would have had much affect on it, had we the means to deliver-same to an object moving at hypersonic speeds. This is available on Paranormal caught on camera, and strongly recommend that you view it.

Have been interested in astronomy and related since a very young age, and am well-aware of why meteorites/asteroids of small-enough size, and so on, explode. I don't mean to soud overly-defensive, but am well-educated on the subject. Please do view the above, and think you will agree, something more odd than an asteroid-strike happened that day, W-E.

This might be the thread to relate a recent experience of mine and see of any of you UFO/plane experts can shed any light on what I saw.

My new job (when I'm not furloughed) is in Warwickshire, and so I found myself over winter driving into that county from Birmingham and back again after my shift. Driving in the countryside, and even the unlit parts of the motorway, I enjoyed glancing up at the night sky because I was always catching fleeting glimpses of odd things. Pretty soon I came to know where the moon and all the bright stars were, and recognised passenger jets, on their way to or from Birmingham, presumably.

This one night, I think it was early evening, but dark, I was heading home through the Warwickshire countryside towards the motorway when I saw the most fantastic star, near the horizon, north of where I was. It was an extraordinarily bright white light and was shaped like a diamond on a pack of cards.

I knew this was no star though because one had never appeared there before. So I kept glancing at it, as often as it was safe to do so, driving on a dark and winding country road.

Much to my excitement as the "star" got bigger, I presumed because it was heading my way, I saw that there were actually three lights, not one, forming a triangle.

I lost sight of it once or twice, but at some point the craft was above and in front of me. Not forgetting that I was now travelling on different A roads turning at different angles, and so direction was not easy to judge, the plane appeared to me to be banking left, taking a long, wide slow curve to head back pretty much in the same direction I had seen it come from.

I can only give an impression, but it seemed to me to be an enormous, low-flying, slow-moving triangular craft. I couldn't help but note the classic UFO trianglular shape made by the three bright lights, but although I'm desperate to see a UFO, something told me that this was an aeroplane, although it was definitely not a passenger jet. I felt it was some kind of huge, lumbering military aircraft. It really was quite a spectacular sight.

I could kick myself for not having written down the details when I got home. I can't remember if, when it was flying closer to me, I saw more lights. I only remember the three; one on the nose tip, one either side on the wing tips. It's possible there were other lights though.

I do recall though that I saw no outline of the craft at all. I don't know if it was a stealth shaped craft, or if it had wings. The plane itself was as dark as the night sky.

It headed in the direction of Birmingham, or at least it was heading in the same northerly direction as I was. It got far ahead of me and eventually was out of sight.

The whole sighting lasted for several minutes. It might have been as many as ten, but thinking about where I was when I first clocked the craft, to being on the mororway where eventually I lost sight of it, it was probably less than that.

Any ideas what I saw?

Hi, Scribbles. This is an interesting sighting which you relate. Triangular-shaped UFOs seem to be sighted at an increasingly-common pace today. The late Dr. Hynek's final book by the way, Night Siege: the Hudson Valley UFO Sightings, (1987), deals with the wave of similar-shaped craft which took place around then, close to New York City and sadly,, near the time of his passing in 1986. This was co-authored with Philip J. Imbrogno and the late Bob Pratt (1926-2005) for those interested in searching it out. Now available in various formats. This sighting doesn't sound like a military vehicle to me, not off-hand, anyway; are there any air bases, or other military installations near Birmingham? Of course, even if there is, it could just as easily be a vehicle from "somewhere else" taking a look as it could be one of the UK's craft. I would tend to think they would be more careful about being seen if this was a more-recent type of craft being tested, and try to keep it in as remote an area as possible in event of an accident as well. If you have seen my comments on the 1980 Cash/Landrum UFO incident in Texas, USA, that is an example of what I suspect was the testing of a either an alien vehicle obtained somehow or other, which went very badly awry, or else the same thing happening to a vehicle we were trying to reverse-engineer.

Can you recall if there was any noise btw? My initial impression is that you saw an actual "unknown," rather than an aircraft of human design, as I tend to doubt any Earthly nation, be it friend or foe, has the technology to build these type of vehicles to judge both from various reports I know of, and film which people have taken in recent years. If you have any further data to add, please do post it, though.

This might be the thread to relate a recent experience of mine and see of any of you UFO/plane experts can shed any light on what I saw.

My new job (when I'm not furloughed) is in Warwickshire, and so I found myself over winter driving into that county from Birmingham and back again after my shift. Driving in the countryside, and even the unlit parts of the motorway, I enjoyed glancing up at the night sky because I was always catching fleeting glimpses of odd things. Pretty soon I came to know where the moon and all the bright stars were, and recognised passenger jets, on their way to or from Birmingham, presumably.

This one night, I think it was early evening, but dark, I was heading home through the Warwickshire countryside towards the motorway when I saw the most fantastic star, near the horizon, north of where I was. It was an extraordinarily bright white light and was shaped like a diamond on a pack of cards.

I knew this was no star though because one had never appeared there before. So I kept glancing at it, as often as it was safe to do so, driving on a dark and winding country road.

Much to my excitement as the "star" got bigger, I presumed because it was heading my way, I saw that there were actually three lights, not one, forming a triangle.

I lost sight of it once or twice, but at some point the craft was above and in front of me. Not forgetting that I was now travelling on different A roads turning at different angles, and so direction was not easy to judge, the plane appeared to me to be banking left, taking a long, wide slow curve to head back pretty much in the same direction I had seen it come from.

I can only give an impression, but it seemed to me to be an enormous, low-flying, slow-moving triangular craft. I couldn't help but note the classic UFO trianglular shape made by the three bright lights, but although I'm desperate to see a UFO, something told me that this was an aeroplane, although it was definitely not a passenger jet. I felt it was some kind of huge, lumbering military aircraft. It really was quite a spectacular sight.

I could kick myself for not having written down the details when I got home. I can't remember if, when it was flying closer to me, I saw more lights. I only remember the three; one on the nose tip, one either side on the wing tips. It's possible there were other lights though.

I do recall though that I saw no outline of the craft at all. I don't know if it was a stealth shaped craft, or if it had wings. The plane itself was as dark as the night sky.

It headed in the direction of Birmingham, or at least it was heading in the same northerly direction as I was. It got far ahead of me and eventually was out of sight.

The whole sighting lasted for several minutes. It might have been as many as ten, but thinking about where I was when I first clocked the craft, to being on the mororway where eventually I lost sight of it, it was probably less than that.

Any ideas what I saw?

I can't say what you saw, but I know that here, also in Warwickshire, I see lots of "ordinary" air traffic from Baginton and Birmingham airports at night. Travelling North along the Fosse Way, for example, on clear nights I often crest a hill and see lights seemingly dead ahead. I have pulled over and watched what I thought was definitely ET become just a normal aeroplane with others following miles behind, the alignment of the landing lights creating the impression of just one strange craft. Some have interior lights on, and pull pretty sharp turns, yet still seem to move remarkably slowly for something so large. They make for a strange sight, especially with the other lights lining up, and I'm sure that whilst I am concentrating on not ending up in a hedge, my mind has created shapes out of them - which I now can dismiss without too much of a panic. It has happened more than once though, even though I KNOW it's a busy flight path, and they are just aeroplanes.

Because it is nice and rural, very dark at night, you can go and sit somewhere and watch the flights coming and going. A friend of mine used to swear blind that every week-night, 10.30 pm, she would expect to see from her bedroom window, a speck of light light belonging to a certain mail flight going into Baginton, which would grow into a huge ball of light as it roared over, rattling the glass and roof tiles. She was sure she could see the faces of the pilots and that they were doing it deliberately, trying to get a peek at her admittedly impressive rack. I forget whether she liked this or would cover herself up, haha

I've also had the crap scared out of me by a Chinook which crossed the same road at dusk, the Fosse Way, and I will swear he was at a lower altitude than me as I reached the top of a hill! I saw (and more often, heard) that fella more than once over a period of months, day and night, and he was seriously low. Scared the crap out of me every single time he appeared out of nowhere and whoosh, was gone. I noted at the time there were no markings on the thing, because I genuinely had thought of making a complaint.
Someone "in the know" told me these weren't "ordinary" training flights, and that I had probably walked very close by the chaps it had dropped off later when I walked my dog. Looking back, this was the early 2000's, and I guess they were training for a little trip to the Middle East...

Then there's the attack-style helicopter (I'm not going to try and identify it) which must have been sitting just over the hedge, because I heard the engine speeding up, and just as I realised it was something close by, rather than something approaching, it hopped over the hedge, seemingly feet above my head, and once again left me needing clean pants. I accept it was just training, they have to do it somewhere, but thing that spooked me was I hadn't heard the bloody thing arrive and had no idea how long it had been there (nor why it would need to set down there). Again, that was in the area for months, and had lots of lights which made it hard for me to discern even the vague shape of the helicopter. My mind would take over, and almost like a camera autofocus zooming in and out, would be befuddled until I realised it was fucking Mr Airwolf again, being a dick.

Had to re-register, people, as I encountered problems after clearing some over-stocked items from yon computer here.

Anyway, to continue; aircraft certainly CAN look odd from certain angles; have had the same experience myself so often, it would be hard to fool me me for any length of time, now. Given that Scribbles got a nice, long look at his unknown, I do doubt his was an ordinary craft, LordRsmacker. I happen to live on a regular air-route myself, and so one often sees them coming, and going, both civilian as there is a military base to the south of me a few hundred miles as the crow flies. The city, and base both are down in "the flat country,' so on can go to a nice mountaintop, for instance, and see various of them on a nice, clear night. One of more frightening experiences I had was when this jet, a passenger jet at that from all appearances, decided to take a close look at said-mountain, and almost got TOO close a look. It passed over with a "hellacious" roar, and I expect the Captain quite likely lost his job, and probably his Captaincy. He very nearly got himself, and several hundred people killed, and there would have been no remains left of yours truly, or my father, had he hit the mountain. It has happened before with military training flights, sorry to say, albeit not recently, thankfully.

Thanks for your experiences, LR. People do need to keep in mind all aircraft can be tricky at times, and use caution before deciding its an unknown, although in cases like Scribbles, those types would seem to leave little room for debate as to how strange they are.

Hope everyone's well. Just heard earlier today about the extension of UK restrictions.

Hi, Scribbles. This is an interesting sighting which you relate. Triangular-shaped UFOs seem to be sighted at an increasingly-common pace today. The late Dr. Hynek's final book by the way, Night Siege: the Hudson Valley UFO Sightings, (1987), deals with the wave of similar-shaped craft which took place around then, close to New York City and sadly,, near the time of his passing in 1986. This was co-authored with Philip J. Imbrogno and the late Bob Pratt (1926-2005) for those interested in searching it out. Now available in various formats. This sighting doesn't sound like a military vehicle to me, not off-hand, anyway; are there any air bases, or other military installations near Birmingham? Of course, even if there is, it could just as easily be a vehicle from "somewhere else" taking a look as it could be one of the UK's craft. I would tend to think they would be more careful about being seen if this was a more-recent type of craft being tested, and try to keep it in as remote an area as possible in event of an accident as well. If you have seen my comments on the 1980 Cash/Landrum UFO incident in Texas, USA, that is an example of what I suspect was the testing of a either an alien vehicle obtained somehow or other, which went very badly awry, or else the same thing happening to a vehicle we were trying to reverse-engineer.

Can you recall if there was any noise btw? My initial impression is that you saw an actual "unknown," rather than an aircraft of human design, as I tend to doubt any Earthly nation, be it friend or foe, has the technology to build these type of vehicles to judge both from various reports I know of, and film which people have taken in recent years. If you have any further data to add, please do post it, though.
Hi Ghost! There was no noise that I heard but I probably didn't open my car window to check.

Since writing this post I've been checking the Internet for likely explanations and was quite excited to read that other people have had the same experiences of first seeing what they thought was a star, then later feeling a sense of calmness and awe at what they had witnessed. I can't find anyone else, on the Internet at least, that reported seeing the same thing that I did though.

The other thing I found out was that the USA's B-2s regularly use an airfield in Gloucestershire, and so I think if this were a military craft, almost certainly it was a stealth bomber. The only thing that stops me declaring that outright is that the B-2's triangle looks shallower than the triangle I remember seeing, and I can't find videos of ithe B-2 flying low and slow at night. What I saw certainly wasn't a high up craft zipping across the night sky.

I could kick myself for not writing down an observation that night and looking it up straight away. It is possible my memory isn't that accurate when describing what I saw, although as far as recalling the series of events and my emotions, I feel much surer.

I can't say what you saw, but I know that here, also in Warwickshire, I see lots of "ordinary" air traffic from Baginton and Birmingham airports at night. Travelling North along the Fosse Way, for example, on clear nights I often crest a hill and see lights seemingly dead ahead. I have pulled over and watched what I thought was definitely ET become just a normal aeroplane with others following miles behind, the alignment of the landing lights creating the impression of just one strange craft. Some have interior lights on, and pull pretty sharp turns, yet still seem to move remarkably slowly for something so large. They make for a strange sight, especially with the other lights lining up, and I'm sure that whilst I am concentrating on not ending up in a hedge, my mind has created shapes out of them - which I now can dismiss without too much of a panic. It has happened more than once though, even though I KNOW it's a busy flight path, and they are just aeroplanes.

Because it is nice and rural, very dark at night, you can go and sit somewhere and watch the flights coming and going. A friend of mine used to swear blind that every week-night, 10.30 pm, she would expect to see from her bedroom window, a speck of light light belonging to a certain mail flight going into Baginton, which would grow into a huge ball of light as it roared over, rattling the glass and roof tiles. She was sure she could see the faces of the pilots and that they were doing it deliberately, trying to get a peek at her admittedly impressive rack. I forget whether she liked this or would cover herself up, haha

I've also had the crap scared out of me by a Chinook which crossed the same road at dusk, the Fosse Way, and I will swear he was at a lower altitude than me as I reached the top of a hill! I saw (and more often, heard) that fella more than once over a period of months, day and night, and he was seriously low. Scared the crap out of me every single time he appeared out of nowhere and whoosh, was gone. I noted at the time there were no markings on the thing, because I genuinely had thought of making a complaint.
Someone "in the know" told me these weren't "ordinary" training flights, and that I had probably walked very close by the chaps it had dropped off later when I walked my dog. Looking back, this was the early 2000's, and I guess they were training for a little trip to the Middle East...

Then there's the attack-style helicopter (I'm not going to try and identify it) which must have been sitting just over the hedge, because I heard the engine speeding up, and just as I realised it was something close by, rather than something approaching, it hopped over the hedge, seemingly feet above my head, and once again left me needing clean pants. I accept it was just training, they have to do it somewhere, but thing that spooked me was I hadn't heard the bloody thing arrive and had no idea how long it had been there (nor why it would need to set down there). Again, that was in the area for months, and had lots of lights which made it hard for me to discern even the vague shape of the helicopter. My mind would take over, and almost like a camera autofocus zooming in and out, would be befuddled until I realised it was fucking Mr Airwolf again, being a dick.
Thanks for this LordR. I am so jealous of the clear night sky that can be seen from the countryside. Way too much light pollution and rooves of houses getting in the way in the city.

Although years ago, pre-9/11 we did actually have a military helicopter over my garden and around surrounding streets! NO idea what THAT was about, but my other half didn't believe me until I showed him photos (after having the film developed as this was ore-digital camera days!)

As for passenger jets, I've noticed on my Warwickshire journies that if spotted from a certain angle (from the back or front) , they can look like the shiny cylinder balls in videos that people report as UFOs. It's only by watching them turn into passenger planes by a change of angle that you see the illusion. It's particularly striking if the sun is bouncing off the metal.

Had to re-register, people, as I encountered problems after clearing some over-stocked items from yon computer here.

Anyway, to continue; aircraft certainly CAN look odd from certain angles; have had the same experience myself so often, it would be hard to fool me me for any length of time, now. Given that Scribbles got a nice, long look at his unknown, I do doubt his was an ordinary craft, LordRsmacker. I happen to live on a regular air-route myself, and so one often sees them coming, and going, both civilian as there is a military base to the south of me a few hundred miles as the crow flies. The city, and base both are down in "the flat country,' so on can go to a nice mountaintop, for instance, and see various of them on a nice, clear night. One of more frightening experiences I had was when this jet, a passenger jet at that from all appearances, decided to take a close look at said-mountain, and almost got TOO close a look. It passed over with a "hellacious" roar, and I expect the Captain quite likely lost his job, and probably his Captaincy. He very nearly got himself, and several hundred people killed, and there would have been no remains left of yours truly, or my father, had he hit the mountain. It has happened before with military training flights, sorry to say, albeit not recently, thankfully.

Thanks for your experiences, LR. People do need to keep in mind all aircraft can be tricky at times, and use caution before deciding its an unknown, although in cases like Scribbles, those types would seem to leave little room for debate as to how strange they are.

Hope everyone's well. Just heard earlier today about the extension of UK restrictions.
Yes, more lock down. Sadly it's going to be a fair few more weeks before my trips into Warwickshire resume.

And yes, my sighting of this thing was not brief, and there is absolutely no doubt that it was a physical craft of some sort. That's pretty much why I debunked it (to myself) being a UFO early on, because it wasnt zipping about the sky breaking the laws of physics. I shouldn't have been so sceptical and taken the oddness of the sighting more seriously. if only to be more sure of whether it could have been a B-2 or not.

I am always very quick to debunk anything I see, although I pretty much believe anything anyone else has to tell me!

Back