• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Songs & Music Videos

How about this magic masterwork from 1979 by the excellent Ed Banger, who also gave us
Ain’t bin to no music school (with The Nosebleeds)
and his other fantastic solo classic: Kinnel Tommy
(Under the name of Eddie Fiction here)

Martian Boogie by Brownsville Station Was probably THE most requested song at the downstate Illinois radio station I worked at in the late 1970s:

Sunwalter are a bunch of Muscovites who produce a rather polished type of thrash-cum-melodic pomp rock with UFO -related themes. They are starting to get known through extensive touring of (mostly Eastern) Europe.Their lyrics are in English.

Here's an interview with them:
http://www.sunwalter.ru/en/alien_opera/

Not a ufo song per se but one of my faves....

And don't forget Magma, the band who resembled a kind of nazi UFO cult and sang the epic story of a made-up planet in a made-up language

Here's a list from Ultimate Classic Rock. As you might guess, it skews quite heavily towards classic rock stuff.
I can only put 5 videos, so I'm carrying on the list here
6) "Children Of The Sun" - Billy Thorpe
7) "Zero Zero UFO" - The Ramones
8) "Silver Lights" - Sammy Hagar
9) "Arriving UFO" - Yes
10) "It Came From Out Of The Sky" - Creedence Clearwater Revival

For something more poetic, and dare I say beautiful, here's Patti Smith's 'Birdland'

Neil Young's "After The Goldrush"'s last verse has a beautiful, sad image of spaceships taking away the earth's children.

The country music supergroup The Highwaymen's song "Highwayman", has a similar time-jump structure between verses, and again makes a jump to the spacey future in the final verse.

This thread has succeeded in getting responses far beyond anything I could have imagined.

There have been so many posts, that I can't listen to and view all of the songs and music videos you other Forteans have put here, but I'm sure that this thread will have Something For Everyone.

Special thanks to MrRING for posting "It Came Out Of the Sky," which I have on audio cassette, but none of my players have worked for such a long time, that I finally got to hear it again.

John Fogherty, who should be complimented by the description of his singing voice as "Phony New Orleans mush mouth,"
wrote songs that could aptly be described as having "political" content, although they can be viewed as just good songwriting.

Somewhere in all the clutter of my Castle, I have a paperback version of all of the song lyrics of Creedence Clearwater Revival, and many lines in "It Came Out of the Sky," could well be considered as "political" references.

But, not entirely.

The song is at its best, a humorous view of the UFO phenomenon that can be enjoyed and appreciated by both True Believers in UFOs, and Skeptics alike, without offense.

My favorite line is "The Vatican says it belongs to Rome . . . " but Jody said it belongs to him, and you can have it for twenty-two million. Did I hear that correctly? That's why I need to find that paperback book to quote the lyrics exactly.

I wouldn't think that line would offend lay Catholics, or even higher ups in the Church, but just about anything can offend everyone.

To sum it all up, it is a good, fun song, quite atypical for the Travelin Band and their Chooglin.

Can't link to it for copyright reasons but Up From The Skies is another little gem of a Hendrix song in which he is an alien revisiting Earth again. His previous visit was during an ice age & he's concerned this time as he smells a world that's burning.

Mystery Plane Lyrics:
My Daddy drives a UFO
Drops me off and then he goes
Leaves me on this mystery plane
But he'll be back for me again
Oh, Oh yes he will Yeah!

Now I just can't identify
With this world so I don't try
Square pegs don't fit in round holes
And I can't fit into these cloths
No

My daddy's unidentified
My mom says I just appeared inside
Looks like a case of hit and run
But off the record it's no fun
No, no, no fun No!

My daddy he'll come back again
And take me from this mystery plane
And maybe if I go real slow
He'll let me drive his UFO,
Oh, Oh, Oh Oh Boy

My Daddy drives a UFO
My Daddy drives a UFO
My Daddy drives a UFO
U
F
O

From the great christian singer-songwriter Larry Norman. It's actually about Jesus.

There's a whole album of this stuff from 1966, as the cover suggests she is (was?) an Adamski fan:

There was an official reissue planned a while back, but i don't think it happened

So much bad taste has been unleashed it's incredible - may I recommend, as an antidote, Syrinx by Claude Debussy (which is all about the fabled airships seen over America in the 19th Century).

Also interesting is Grant Cameron talking about the influence of extraterrestials on modern music:

@jimv1 I have the UFO theme as my ringtone, love it to bits, hated the second version on that vid tho, they killed it
As a big Captain Scarlet fan I though the interceptors in UFO were a rip off the Angels from Cloudbase.

Cloudbase is defended by the Angels, a squadron of five female pilots code-named Destiny (squadron leader), Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody, and Symphony, who fly the Angel Interceptor fighter aircraft.

To me they were just not right, one shot each, sorry, just not adequate, what if all three missed?

To me they were just not right, one shot each, sorry, just not adequate, what if all three missed?
The UFO interceptor was a stupid design. Just those giant missiles and no other guns.

True, if they had guns they never used them, and they could have at least have armed S.I.D.

As a big Captain Scarlet fan I though the interceptors in UFO were a rip off the Angels from Cloudbase.

Cloudbase is defended by the Angels, a squadron of five female pilots code-named Destiny (squadron leader), Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody, and Symphony, who fly the Angel Interceptor fighter aircraft.

In the 60's I had a wall map showing how command of the UK (by Spectrum) was sub-divided - Cheshire was under Captain Ochre and I feel this has had an influence on me ever since (a feeling of mild disappointment and an important lesson not to get your hopes too high).

Back