• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO Spotting: What To Bring

A

Anonymous

I've gone on a few spotting trips before, but they were usually on the lark and the result of boredom. What I would like to do is to begin actually making planned trips to certain locations, and so I've been thinking about what types of equipment I should bring, times that would be optimum for viewing, etc. Here's my list so far.

1) 2 35mm cameras. I'm considering whether or not the two should be identical, or if I should consider using hi-speed film in one versus low-speed in the other.

2) Digital camera/digital video. In order to compare between digital images and "hard" photos.

3) Tape recorder. Able to voice document events, as well as possibly recording any audio signatures from a sighting.

4) Compass. Not only good for determining direction, but we've all heard stories of compass malfunction in regards to UFO sightings.

5) FAA maps/star charts/latest satellite info

6) 1,000,000+ lux spotlight (in case they want to communicate :D )

7) Flashlights, spare batteries

8) FM/AM radio- I thought this would be intersting. I've heard numerous stories of UFO's interfering with radios. Plus you can listen to the local radio station to help pass the hours away.

9) Notebook/sketchbook.

10) One credible witness. :p

Of course this goes along with food, drinks, personal neccesities, etc. Any suggestions for other items that would aid in documenting a sighting?

A couple of Certified Skeptics..?

Your mention of torches, starmaps, etc, suggest you are going at night. You'd have less to carry if you went by day! (Also less likely to mistake some innocent light for something significant...)

But what makes you think you know places likely to produce UFOs? Most 'flaps' last a while, then nothing.

Anyway, good luck!

I think you've got it pretty well covered. Except for....

pens (not mentioned in your list, but I presume to be included).

Jam sandwiches, pale of water - in case you get abducted...in which case: condoms, vaseline or KY, sticky plasters?

Just a bit of whimsy.;)

No, seriously, good luck.

Personal necessities? Whazzat?

Toilet paper? Big spliff for the boring bits? ;)

J/K, and good luck, I really hope you see something.

I'm hoping to go in the next couple of weeks once it warms up a little more at night. As to where we're going to go, I've staked out a couple of mountain view points that give excellent sklyine range. Now I just hope the UFO's admire my outstanding choice of locations and grace us with a flyby. :D

Yeah, I've always fancied doing this. I've always liked those stories of sky-watches that were popular in the 60s and 70s, like at Cradle Hill in Warminster. In fact, I love the whole 'Warminster Thing' thing anyway.

Enjoy it, and if you see something, you know where to post the pics!

I've gone on a few spotting trips before, but they were usually on the lark and the result of boredom. What I would like to do is to begin actually making planned trips to certain locations, and so I've been thinking about what types of equipment I should bring, times that would be optimum for viewing, etc. Here's my list so far.

1) 2 35mm cameras. I'm considering whether or not the two should be identical, or if I should consider using hi-speed film in one versus low-speed in the other.

2) Digital camera/digital video. In order to compare between digital images and "hard" photos.

3) Tape recorder. Able to voice document events, as well as possibly recording any audio signatures from a sighting.

4) Compass. Not only good for determining direction, but we've all heard stories of compass malfunction in regards to UFO sightings.

5) FAA maps/star charts/latest satellite info

6) 1,000,000+ lux spotlight (in case they want to communicate :D )

7) Flashlights, spare batteries

8) FM/AM radio- I thought this would be intersting. I've heard numerous stories of UFO's interfering with radios. Plus you can listen to the local radio station to help pass the hours away.

9) Notebook/sketchbook.

10) One credible witness. :p

Of course this goes along with food, drinks, personal neccesities, etc. Any suggestions for other items that would aid in documenting a sighting?
Doesn't matter what you bring, no one will believe it anyway!!! Fact!

A couple of Certified Skeptics..?

Your mention of torches, starmaps, etc, suggest you are going at night. You'd have less to carry if you went by day! (Also less likely to mistake some innocent light for something significant...)

But what makes you think you know places likely to produce UFOs? Most 'flaps' last a while, then nothing.

Just to back-up your observations, and so-called places to watch out for them 'rynner2...' (fact is - occurrence's can turn up ~ anywhere, and when you least expect such things to happen).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to back-up your observations, and so-called places to watch out for them 'rynner2...' (fact is - occurrence's can turn up ~ anywhere, and when you least expect such things to happen).

Rynner hasn't posted in many a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
What to bring?
Luck Is about all I can think of that might be useful in drawin em in.

Back