• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs Assaulting / Attacking / Harassing People

Reading the report of the Eddie Webb / Cape Girardeau case again, it seems he later filed for $1000 in compensation claiming that he was injured while on the job. The insurance people came to a settlement with Webb prior to the hearing. Is it possible that Webb was the only man in history to be compensated for being attacked by a 'UFO' while at work?

Another one unearthed from NICAP's records:

http://www.nicap.org/chronos/1978fullrep.htm

May13, 1978; Kerman, CA
3:32 AM. Police officer Manuel Amparano was on the outskirts of Kerman, when he saw a reddish glow ahead. He drove on to investigate. Getting closer, he observed an oval-shaped object, smaller in apparent size than the full Moon, hanging silently in the sky. It was a very bright crimson red color, which despite its brightness did not hurt the eyes. Then the oval shot out a beam of blue light similar to a camera flash. The object then receded and was gone. Amparano felt "a tingling sensation" in his body as he drove to the station, but was not concerned. Upon disembarking, however, the 6 witnesses at the station noted that he was sunburned "as red as a lobster". His skin showed this disposition for about 4 hours before returning to normal. His skin showed this condition even in areas where whatever the cause was would have had to penetrate through his clothing [i.e. his skin was reddened even through his uniform]. However no "burn" was present if the car door was between him and the flash. Also, he had no "burn" on his back which was away from the car window as he peered out. Although the redness went away rapidly, there were areas where the skin was actually burned [arms, face, neck]. These were noted on a visit to Fresno Community Hospital. These burn areas were visible for 2 days. The day following the encounter "fever blisters" broke out on his face and in places on his arms, and these lasted a week. He had discomfort from these conditions generally [burning sensations] for a week even in areas not blistered. Allegedly, doctors at the hospital told the officer that the burns looked like they could have been caused by microwave radiation, but we do not have their direct testimony on record saying that. Still, it is not a stretch to credit such a diagnosis. As far as credibility is concerned, Amparano was a Marine veteran and had spent five years on the police force. He was considered reliable, and sought no publicity. And, there were the burns; rather strong proof that something odd had occurred. (Submitted by Mike Swords. Sources: CUFOS files; "California Policeman Burned By UFO", International UFO Reporter ,vol.3, September 1978, pp.10-11; Fresno (CA) BEE, "Policeman: Illumination Burns Him Then Turns Blue, Vanishes Into Sky", May 19, 1978; and "Kerman Fireball Sighting --- A UFO?", February 23, 1979).

By the way, I find it quite interesting that 1978 is identified on that page as the point when the phenomenon began to move away from the "the rich CE2s and old fashioned CE3s" of previous decades:

1978 was about the time when Bloecher's Humanoid Catalog project was getting word of a puzzling rise in claims of on-board experiences, and Budd Hopkins became his understudy, collected the core cases for Missing Time, and the field soon ran away to Abduction and Strieber Land

As for why this might have happened, no idea. Could the release of Close Encounters the previous year have led to an increased cultural awareness of "on-board experiences"?

M
By the way, I find it quite interesting that 1978 is identified on that page as the point when the phenomenon began to move away from the "the rich CE2s and old fashioned CE3s" of previous decades:

As for why this might have happened, no idea. Could the release of Close Encounters the previous year have led to an increased cultural awareness of "on-board experiences"?
My impression is that previously such reports were just discarded by ufologists, can't remember where I got that idea from, maybe from reading Hynek.

Interesting, given the following:

"NASA didn't want Spielberg to make Close Encounters of The Third Kind (1976). NASA reportedly sent a 20-page letter to Spielberg. He said "I had wanted co-operation from them, but when they read the script, they got very angry and felt that it was a film that would be dangerous."

https://www.cracked.com/article_303...bergs-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind.html

Does anyone have another source for this statement?

Reactions: BS3
I think it best to refer you to the Metabunk discussion of this storyline at:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/cl...rgs-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind.11611/

The whole "NASA angry / warning" story traces back to comments Spielberg made in a 1978 interview published in Cinema Papers (April / June; issue #16). The relevant comments are on page 320, where he says:
I really found my faith when I heard that the government was opposed to the film. If NASA took the time to write me a 20-page letter, then I knew there must be something happening.

I had wanted co-operation from them, but when they read the script they got very angry and felt that it was a film that would be dangerous. I think they mainly wrote the letter because Jaws convinced so many people around the world that there were sharks in toilets and bathtubs , not just in the oceans and rivers. They were afraid some kind of epidemic would happen with UFOs.

It was the same with the Air Force; they gave us no co-operation at all. So when I was shooting the scenes with the army and air force, I had to do it the old-fashioned way and go into the costume store and buy army suits and gear.

An image of the published Cinema Papers page can be accessed at:
https://www.metabunk.org/attachments/1613327265368-png.43194/
(PNG image of the relevant article section)

It appears to me the story has been distorted and spun to imply Spielberg had been given secret information about real UFO encounters, when all he claimed was that NASA had been concerned his movie might ignite public upheavals analogous to the frenzies that attended the release of Jaws.

Apparently the only evidence for the alleged NASA letter was Spielberg's 1978 comments in the article cited above. As far as I can tell no details of the letter - much less any evidence of it and / or its contents - has ever been presented.

Interesting, given the following:

"NASA didn't want Spielberg to make Close Encounters of The Third Kind (1976). NASA reportedly sent a 20-page letter to Spielberg. He said "I had wanted co-operation from them, but when they read the script, they got very angry and felt that it was a film that would be dangerous."

https://www.cracked.com/article_303...bergs-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind.html

Does anyone have another source for this statement?

Part of me wonders why the start of the 'abduction era' should be signalled by an increase in reports of this kind as well as a change in their nature. I suppose the ETH-friendly response would be that a different bunch of occupants had turned up, with a different modus operandi.

Looking at the purely psychological aspects, you could also say it might be related to a cultural 'normalisation' of 'onboard' experiences because of the popularity of a film or similar - eg the influence of Close Encounters. But maybe it's down to the fact that the 'abduction' experience, whatever triggers it, seems to tap into more universal psychological characteristics. Most of the old-fashioned 'contactee' experiences seem more psychologically aberrant, as if the bar is higher to experience / create / trigger one - contactees were always a tiny minority. Compared to that the 'abduction' narrative seems rooted in very common anxieties, easily propagated by cases like the Hills'.

I can not believe that 75 years ago 1-7-1948 Capt. Thomas Mantell with 2,667 combat hours and 5 medals died chasing a UFO shaped like an ice cream cone.

According to what I read, the area around Fort Knox, Kentucky was on high alert when hundreds of people were calling into the police of an UFO moving around the area for several hours.

Godman Army Airfield near Fort Knox asked Mantell to chase it as he just happened to be in the area as his group were returning to their base.

Before Mantell crashed he radioed the UFO was metallic.

The mystery only became stranger as Mantell’s seat harness was found to be strangely shredded in his crashed plane.

I never knew the number of witnesses involved, thus this could be be greater in my opinion than Roswell or Rendlesham.

This sighting affected hundreds of people in 1948 in the Fort Knox, Kentucky area.

There is a marker posted in his hometown Franklin, Kentucky about his UFO chase strangely not being to far from where he crashed.

Last edited:
A web site called army.mil reviewed the known information about Mantell and it seems his group of Mustang fighters broke off from Mantell at 15,000 feet and some at 22,000 feet but Mantell, calling in that the UFO was tremendously large, continued the chase.

Did the object pull Mantell to 30,000 almost immediately on purpose which without oxygen would have caused blackout ?

Several witnesses claim Mantell’s plane was on fire and flying in circles before crashing.

The official explanation was Mantell was chasing Venus ( latter proven not in the sky at the time ) or he was chasing a Skyhook balloon.

The real tragedy was that this 25 year old pilot cashed and died not far from his Franklin, Kentucky house.

Actually Venus was in the sky at the time, but it is incredibly unlikely that Mantell would have been able to see it in broad daylight unless he had extraordinarily acute eyesight. I've seen Venus in daylight, but only because I knew where to look. Edward J Ruppelt suggested it was a Skyhook balloon, and this appears to have been confirmed by an astronomer who also saw the balloon at the time, but no-one can find the specific launch which was responsible.

Mantell probably became unconscious at high altitude and crashed, in a plane he apparently wasn't very familiar with.
https://www.military.com/history/fi...-ufo-was-actually-chasing-secret-balloon.html

It occurred to me there is a “ big hole “ in this event.

One pilot broke off the chase at 15,000 feet to continue on to the their home base In Louisville, Kentucky and the other two pilots broke off the chase at 22,000 at feet and we don’t know what they did after they broke off.

We have no information from the the other three pilots !

I don’t think a Skyhook balloon would be moving around as reported or keeping pace with the fighter Mustangs.

This is a typical Project Blue Book coverup garbage.

The pilots consistently said that the object was travelling 'half as fast' as the planes were. That means the planes would have consistently overshot, and they would have to turn round and try to find it again. This would have made it difficult to determine the actual speed of the object, especially if the balloon was much higher than the planes.

We do not know who the other pilots were and we don’t know their opinions and testimonies.

If we knew this information it would be a tremendous amount of information.

It is very strange this event took place about 6 months after the Roswell Crash !

Obviously the UFOs were very active during this time slot.

In our area we had a UFO sightings wave in the late 1990s.

Back