• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs Emerging From/Entering British Coastal Waters

zodiac1974

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi...does anyone know if there are any reports of alleged UFOs emerging from coastal water, or entering British seas ? I'm familar with cases over lakes, rivers etc, but wasn't sure if there were reports concerning North Sea, Irish Sea, English Channel etc ?

I seem to remember the Welsh UFO flap centered around Dyfed in th late '70s had sightings of objects heading into the sea (it's years since I read about it though so don't ask for details!)
I also remember a sighting reported from Scarborough on the Yorkshire coast where a UFO was reportedly seen vanishing in to the sea.

rushfan62 said:
I seem to remember the Welsh UFO flap centered around Dyfed in th late '70s had sightings of objects heading into the sea (it's years since I read about it though so don't ask for details!)
In the Welsh Triangle story the UFO was seen going into the rocks of an uninhabited island, not far from the mainland.

Great thread zodiac 1974, I don't know of any but I'll be following this thread closely because I love the idea.

The supposed UFO base in the Dyfed Triangle, at least according to the book 'The Uninvited' about the Coombs family, was Stack or maybe Stackpole rock in Pembrokshire. I read that book when I was a kid on holiday down there it scared me to bloody death.

It just seems strange that there are numerous alleged reports of 'UFOs' underwater in Scandinavia, or in the US, and yet in the UK reports seem so scant. I'm not a huge believer in UFOs as alien craft, but would certainly be interested to hear of any underwater activity. Some tales I've read go back hundreds of years but seem to suggest meterorites

oldrover said:
Great thread zodiac 1974, I don't know of any but I'll be following this thread closely because I love the idea.

The supposed UFO base in the Dyfed Triangle, at least according to the book 'The Uninvited' about the Coombs family, was Stack or maybe Stackpole rock in Pembrokshire. I read that book when I was a kid on holiday down there it scared me to bloody death.

Ah yes - Stack Rocks, just off the coast. Besuited figures were seen on them as well as silvery craft. If I recall correctly the rocks were observed to 'open up' to let saucers in and out. Thunderbirds was on telly around this time. Ahem.

In the early 80s as a youngster I read The Dyfed Enigma by R. J. Pugh and it frightened me empty.

As I've just said on the other thread, I was under 10 when the Dyfed Triangle first kicked off. I'd never heard of a UFO before, I was bloody petrified. Especially as it was pretty close to where I lived.

Then just a little older I read that book about Stack Rock etc, just as my parent's announced that we were going on holiday to St Davids, cue more terror.

As you say the rocks did open up, as you also say, Ahem. Another detail, that really put the wind up me at ten, was that there was supposed to be a floating disembodied hand that entered the Coombs farm at night. Its appearance was apparently preceded by a sound like scrunching paper.

I can't recall the floating hand (and it's the sort of thing that would stay with you) but the bit I found most terrifying was an anecdote about a pitch black night and a heavy goods lorry rumbling up Nantycaws Hill (I didn't look this up - the name has stuck for over 30 years!).

There were two guys in the truck and as it ground its way up the lonely, dark hill, the headlights picked up something on the verge ahead. Because they were going slowly the men had quite a few long seconds to see what was there. Two aliens, one tall and silver, one squat with an enormously wide head, were standing in the darkness. They were both holding a single unidentifiable object between them. The didn't move as the lorry churned past, a matter of feet from them. This was in the middle of nowhere, and as the lorry passed, the silent figures were swallowed up by the darkness again.

I. Did. Not. Sleep.

Like your recollection, Oldrover, the thing that was so great about about the Dyfed business was the odd details. The scrunching paper sound you mention, and for me the ridiculously wide head of one of the aliens.

Oh I remember another bit. A teenaged girl was woken by a light shining in her bedroom window. She pulled back the curtain to find something looking like Mr Punch staring in at her.

I might well be imagining this but I think I remember hearing about Mr Punch too.

It's true what you say it was the small sundry details that kept you awake as a kid.

I can see that the Nantycaws incident stuck with you, I know the place, I don't live far away, and would have had to look up the spelling. I'd never heard of this before.

There are two Nantycaws Hills these days the old one where the incident would have been set, and the new one on the, relatively, new A48. The old one is known as a bit of a dangerous stretch of road.

I had an unusual experience on the new one once, missing a pile up caused by a U.S Marine Corp Sea Harrier jettisoning its reserve fuel tank over the dual carriageway.

Sorry for the somewhat late reply to this, but I've just moved house and my books have been packed away since June. However, I've looked out Ron Halliday's book 'UFO Scotland' (1998 B&W Publishing) which contains a few reports of UFOs emerging from or dissapearing into water...

Many witnesses reported seeing an explosion and a flying object crashing into the Minch off the Butt of Lewis in October 1996. This sparked an extensive coastguard and military search operation but nothing was found. On the 22nd of November 1963, an Aberdeen collier vessel named 'Thrift' (what else? :roll: ) spent hours searching for a pair of objects which had been seen to 'land' on their radar at Girdleness, which is at the entrance to Aberdeen Harbour. The crew had also observed a flashing red light flying just 20 feet above and then landing in the sea a mile from their port side. Again nothing was found. Not far from Girdleness - around 40 miles away- is the Bell Rock, some 11 miles offshore from Arbroath. It was here in 1957 that the crew of a trawler named 'Avondee' spotted two orange/red objects flying very fast into the water. This was witnessed by the boat's cook, mate and master. Finally, a microlight pilot and a priest spotted and photographed an object submerged in Loch Nevis in 1997. Sadly the photo isn't reproduced in the book but apparently it shows a "solid-looking object". Another witness reported seeing "a weird wave rolling up the loch".

:D Read the 'Welsh Triangle' book aged eleven after holiday in Wales.

Cue nightmares with silver-siuited aliens marching Cyber Man-like through field next door and into our garden :shock:

Still fascinates me all these years later; some aspects of the 'flap' have been called into question, however, clearly something very strange was going on.

Mind you, 1976-7 were very strange years for the Westcountry as a whole...

maxley said:
Two aliens, one tall and silver, one squat with an enormously wide head, were standing in the darkness.
Sounds like a Cyberman/Sontaran cross-over.

According to some theories UFO's/ USO's operate from underwater bases across the World, my guess is they'd have at least one in the atlantic somewhere, maybe Bermuda.

James_H2 said:
Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I've just come across a great video of child eye-witnesses to some of the Dyfed triangle UFOs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18798867

I can't put my finger on my source at the moment, but the boys were reinterviewed many years later, and still stuck to their original story.

For that guy to suggest it was the sewage works, well, lost for words really - an immovable object that they would have seen from the day they started school, until the day they left? Hardly likely, is it?

Back