• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs Over Ireland (2018)

Timble2

Imaginary Person
A decent UFO story for a change, not just a tiny out of focus fleck in the sky, or a moving light.
UFOs spotted off Irish coast under investigation

What did the pilots see off the coast of Ireland?
The Irish Aviation Authority is investigating reports of bright lights and UFOs off the south-west coast of Ireland.
It began at 06:47 local time on Friday 9 November when a British Airways pilot contacted Shannon air traffic control.
She wanted to know if there were military exercises in the area because there was something "moving so fast".
The air traffic controller said there were no such exercises...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eu...8C5Dt_KK2ORbFmopEzAXtvuKcOjouKEH_bX0zT5qY3Vno

https://www.thejournal.ie/moving-so...n-by-irish-airport-authority-4334894-Nov2018/

Reported as a "very bright light" coming alongside an aircraft flying from the Canadian city of Montreal to Heathrow, which then "rapidly veered to the north".
The pilot, said she wondering what it could be but said it did not seem to be heading for a collision.
A pilot from a Virgin plane joined in suggesting it might be a meteor or another object re-entering the earth's atmosphere : "multiple objects following the same sort of trajectory" The pilot said he saw "two bright lights" over to the right which climbed away at speed.
One pilot said the speed was "astronomical, it was like Mach 2" - twice the speed of sound.
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said:
"Following reports from a small number of aircraft on Friday 9 November of unusual air activity the IAA has filed a report,"
"This report will be investigated under the normal confidential occurrence investigation process."
Not comment from Shannon Airport.

It does sound interesting, doesn't it.

I recall a report from some years ago (decades possibly) of a passenger aircraft reported near-miss with what appeared to be a missile in the same general vicinity. No armed forces claimed the missile as theirs on that occasion (although personally I strongly suspect it was a missile of Earthly origin).

(Did I ever post here about the missile I saw being closely followed by two fighters over southern England, many years ago?)

My wife just forwarded me the Beeb story vis Twitter. Interesting. In these days of heightened suspicion with Russia and the like I would imagine that the ministry of defence would be monitoring our airspace a little closer.

Leprechauns utilising Nazi era saucers.
howlin.jpg

A decent UFO story for a change, not just a tiny out of focus fleck in the sky, or a moving light.
UFOs spotted off Irish coast under investigation

What did the pilots see off the coast of Ireland?
The Irish Aviation Authority is investigating reports of bright lights and UFOs off the south-west coast of Ireland.
It began at 06:47 local time on Friday 9 November when a British Airways pilot contacted Shannon air traffic control.
She wanted to know if there were military exercises in the area because there was something "moving so fast".
The air traffic controller said there were no such exercises...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eu...8C5Dt_KK2ORbFmopEzAXtvuKcOjouKEH_bX0zT5qY3Vno

https://www.thejournal.ie/moving-so...n-by-irish-airport-authority-4334894-Nov2018/

Reported as a "very bright light" coming alongside an aircraft flying from the Canadian city of Montreal to Heathrow, which then "rapidly veered to the north".
The pilot, said she wondering what it could be but said it did not seem to be heading for a collision.
A pilot from a Virgin plane joined in suggesting it might be a meteor or another object re-entering the earth's atmosphere : "multiple objects following the same sort of trajectory" The pilot said he saw "two bright lights" over to the right which climbed away at speed.
One pilot said the speed was "astronomical, it was like Mach 2" - twice the speed of sound.
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said:
"Following reports from a small number of aircraft on Friday 9 November of unusual air activity the IAA has filed a report,"
"This report will be investigated under the normal confidential occurrence investigation process."
Not comment from Shannon Airport.
Any radar corroboration?

Might be worth keeping an eye out to see if there is an earthquake there in the not too distant future. Lights / UFO reports abound just before and after seismic events.

An interesting one, Mr Joolz pointed it out to me this morning.

Maybe, in this era of excellent video recording available on most phones, the number of sightings goes down (ie, fewer fakes and vague shaky frames) but the quality goes up?

An interesting one, Mr Joolz pointed it out to me this morning.

Maybe, in this era of excellent video recording available on most phones, the number of sightings goes down (ie, fewer fakes and vague shaky frames) but the quality goes up?

My observation is that the number of (claimed) sightings seems to be going up, if anything. But the number of vague and shaky videos is increasing too. And the good quality ones could be real or could be CGI -- it's now increasingly difficult to tell.

So the advent of ubiquitous availability of cameras is not helping at all. Anomalous events still occur and are increasingly photographed and recorded... but we still can't see enough to be sure of anything or what we can see is ambiguous because faking technology has caught up with us too.

Just reading the WaPo version of this article (via the Sydney Morning Herald):

Aircraft experts told the Irish Examiner that the lights were probably meteorites entering the atmosphere at a low angle. The high speeds were due to acceleration caused by Earth's gravity. The bright lights were probably the result of friction as the celestial bodies pierced Earth's atmosphere.

Quite an unusual behavior for meteorites I would have thought:

"It came up on our left-hand side [rapidly veered] to the north, we saw a bright light and it just disappeared at a very high speed ...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...asn-t-aliens-what-was-it-20181114-p50fvn.html

Let's assume you didn't, and that you need to remedy that oversight.

I shall remedy the oversight in due course.

If I did post it here then it would probably have been under my old username ("markrkingston" without the "1") but I believe that all my posts under that name were converted to Anonymous or Guest postings during one of the forum's earlier difficulties.

** edit **
Now remedied. I've posted my report of what I saw here: https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...shire-southern-england-circa-1981-1984.64980/

Last edited:
/// If I did post it here then it would probably have been under my old username ("markrkingston" without the "1") but I believe that all my posts under that name were converted to Anonymous of Guest postings during one of the forum's earlier difficultues.

Just for the record; just so you know once and for all ...

I regret to confirm you're correct. I've located one of your very early posts to the old FTMB, which gave me a 'hook' to research your original account. That post predated all the forum's so-called 'upgrades', each of which induced some measure of carnage.

Somewhere along the line your original account was converted to 'Anonymous', which meant it and all its contents were merged into the single big catch-all NON-account that is Anonymous. ('Anonymous' has ended up being a bin with an account name, but it's not actually a viable account per se.)

There's no hope of identifying, must less sorting out and reconstituting, the set of posts you made under your original username.

Sorry ...

On a related note ... I attempted a search on 'missile' and 'fighters' to see if I could find an Anonymous post that may have been yours, but I found nothing that referred to a sighting over England. Again - sorry ...

Leprechauns utilizing Nazi era saucers.View attachment 12965

FFS ! Nazi leprechauns? Now I have seen everything! Mind damaged by the revelation ! Who comes up with this?

A decent UFO story for a change, not just a tiny out of focus fleck in the sky, or a moving light. UFOs spotted off Irish coast under investigation

I bumped into this on the BBC feed, so I'm glad to see that it is already being Forteanized.

Just for the record; just so you know once and for all ...

I regret to confirm you're correct. I've located one of your very early posts to the old FTMB, which gave me a 'hook' to research your original account. That post predated all the forum's so-called 'upgrades', each of which induced some measure of carnage.

Somewhere along the line your original account was converted to 'Anonymous', which meant it and all its contents were merged into the single big catch-all NON-account that is Anonymous. ('Anonymous' has ended up being a bin with an account name, but it's not actually a viable account per se.)

There's no hope of identifying, must less sorting out and reconstituting, the set of posts you made under your original username.

Sorry ...

On a related note ... I attempted a search on 'missile' and 'fighters' to see if I could find an Anonymous post that may have been yours, but I found nothing that referred to a sighting over England. Again - sorry ...

Thanks. I think my original account disappeared somewhere around 2005. It looks like my earlier posts have become digital prehistory. ;)

My first post might have been around 2000, not that it matters now.

The main thing from this story I have picked up on is the willingness to report (commercial pilots) and, sorry, 'transparency' of reporting by air traffic control/FAA etc on a subject that has been anathema in the past. Noticed similar trends with FAA in the US, are we seeing a change in philosophy or is this just another trap we are being pulled into (lol) or is my thinking and optimism down to the 'AATIP'/To The Stars/Disclosure vibe of recent times ? Alternatively, maybe I just need to sit down, take deep breaths and stay off the Internet (but I've missed the Forum sooo much !!)

The main thing from this story I have picked up on is the willingness to report (commercial pilots) and, sorry, 'transparency' of reporting by air traffic control/FAA etc on a subject that has been anathema in the past. Noticed similar trends with FAA in the US, are we seeing a change in philosophy or is this just another trap we are being pulled into (lol) or is my thinking and optimism down to the 'AATIP'/To The Stars/Disclosure vibe of recent times ? Alternatively, maybe I just need to sit down, take deep breaths and stay off the Internet (but I've missed the Forum sooo much !!)

In the uk airlines give guidance and provide a notebook to document UFO activity witnessed by pilots the notebook is kept in the cockpit.

The skeptics try to paint this as meteors but I'm not sure how that's possible when the witnesses insist the objects changed direction and moved upward. I suppose that "upward" can be subjective when you are flying an aircraft at night in three-dimensional space.

Very interesting, saw it just this morning
(skip to about 2min 52s) and was excited to hear that more than one pilot had witnessed it, which lends credence of course.

The skeptics try to paint this as meteors but I'm not sure how that's possible when the witnesses insist the objects changed direction and moved upward. I suppose that "upward" can be subjective when you are flying an aircraft at night in three-dimensional space.

Reminds me of an X-Files episode where a military base is tracking something which the officer/sergeant/otherwise head honcho is insistent is a meteor. Radar operator: "The meteor is hovering, Sir." :D

So still no radar corroboration then?

:yeahthat:

Many years ago, I'm sure someone on here linked to a forum which pilots hung around on and there was a really good thread about UFOs. Any one else remember that?

In any case, I once, many years ago, read a thread about UFOs on a forum pilots hung around on. There wasn't much doubt unidentified stuff flies around up there, although I'm personally to be convinced that UFOs are extra-terrestrial.

Many years ago, I'm sure someone on here linked to a forum which pilots hung around on and there was a really good thread about UFOs. Any one else remember that?

In any case, I once, many years ago, read a thread about UFOs on a forum pilots hung around on. There wasn't much doubt unidentified stuff flies around up there, although I'm personally to be convinced that UFOs are extra-terrestrial.

Yeah this is kinda my stance too. Although I believe there's probably life on other planets I'm not necessarily convinced that they keep visiting earth just to mess with us. So I tend to sway towards the idea that UFOs might actually be earthly craft from the future, or suchlike. Related to time-slips, in some way.

I don't remember the pilot forum you mention but sounds like it would be an interesting read.

Yeah this is kinda my stance too. Although I believe there's probably life on other planets I'm not necessarily convinced that they keep visiting earth just to mess with us. So I tend to sway towards the idea that UFOs might actually be earthly craft from the future, or suchlike. Related to time-slips, in some way.

I don't remember the pilot forum you mention but sounds like it would be an interesting read.

It really was, I remember it all these later, near-misses and stuff, and many first-hand accounts of course.

I tend towards John A Keel's thoughts on UFOs, that they are manifestations just like Big Foot, Fairies, Mothman etc. Although manifestations from what or where I have no firm thoughts.

It does though. If there was corroborating radar data, then it would suggest something was really there.

True. However, lack of radar corroboration does not mean that nothing was there. I.e. Something could still have been there even if there was no radar signal return.

Three points come to mind:

(a) Does civilian air traffic control still use skin paint (i.e. actual radar signal return) as a primary indicator of aircraft presence or is transponder signal now usually the primary indicator of aircraft presence? If the latter then lack of marker on a radar screen doesn't necessarily tell us anything at all, other than that the object was either not squawking at all or was not squawking on a frequency or with a scheme that the civilian radar understood.

(b) Stealth aircraft (whether of human origin or otherwise) are unlikely to appear on a civilian radar, other than maybe fleetingly.

(c) Other unusual phenomena (e.g. plasma phenomena, perhaps) may or may not generate a radar signal return.

Back