UFOs: Seen One? Personal UFO Sightings (IHTM; Miscellaneous)

JahaRa

Ephemeral Spectre
For a few years I had a lot of sightings and one close up that caused me to rethink everything, not just the UAP phenomena but the way I thought about a lot of things. Always lights in the sky, seemingly outside the atmosphere like stars, always in groups of 3 or multiples of 3, except for the one night when they all left but one and it came close, hanging over a feild behind my house. It gave me a different kind of light show. Very weird, and I have not read any account anything like it.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
I think the whole UFO subject is quite frightening to most people, they don't want to acknowledge it.
I'm not invested in any particular interpretation of the UFO phenomenon, but to the average person UFO is synonymous with alien spacecraft. Throwing aliens into our lives puts the whole human race on a lonely, remote trail through the woods at night, with no idea what's around us, what it might want with us, and no security from the trappings of civilisation. I guess that's a bit unsettling for some people.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
You are right PeteByrdie,

People are unsettled with UFO talk and I blame a lot of this on scary, alien Hollywood movies like the “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and a lot of other movies.

“ It came from Outer Space” freaked me out as an young kid.

But to this day I have never seen any match for the aliens I saw when I was younger.

They were small, pale, pasty, thin with rectangular eyes unless it was a helmet, but more human looking than not.

The part that makes me laugh to this day is their shoes were like “Mickey Mouse “ shoes big and bulky.

JahaRa

Ephemeral Spectre
You are right PeteByrdie,

People are unsettled with UFO talk and I blame a lot of this on scary, alien Hollywood movies like the “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and a lot of other movies.

“ It came from Outer Space” freaked me out as an young kid.

But to this day I have never seen any match for the aliens I saw when I was younger.

They were small, pale, pasty, thin with rectangular eyes unless it was a helmet, but more human looking than not.

The part that makes me laugh to this day is their shoes were like “Mickey Mouse “ shoes big and bulky.
Sounds like they were wearing space suits.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... “ It came from Outer Space” freaked me out as an young kid. ...
Is that the one with the one-eyed alien? ...

In their natural form the shapeshifter aliens in "It Came From Outer Space" were one-eyed.

images.jpeg

BS3

Abominable Showman
A few friends have mentioned their own UFO sightings to me over the years and in all cases they were either quite reticent to the point of not wanting to discuss it in detail or peppered the tale with phrases such as "now, I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but...". And this was after I'd been careful to tell them I was sympathetic and interested in what they had to say.

Ufology isn't a particularly high-status interest, in the sense it's often the butt of media jokes. So UFO witnesses are in a bit of a bind; either they've seen a UFO, which polite society seems to treat as a bit of an admission of failure, or they've mistaken something quite ordinary for a UFO, which is in some ways even worse. I'm comfortable enough with the fact that as a generally sceptical Fortean I've not only seen but photographed a (rather dull) 'UFO', but I can see why my friends, with their on the face of it quite remarkable tales of mysterious spheres covered in lights and the like, might have chosen to keep their stories quiet. It's like receiving admission to a club no-one really wants to join.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
I believe this is called UFO stigma.

The federal government in the U.S. a long time a ago made sure they told the public in that believing in UFOs is equal to being crazy.

Good examples are Project Blue Book “ swamp gas and hysteria “ and Roswell “ weather balloon “ that was the only answer it could be.

Then all of this is mixed that UFOs are the demons and devil that is descending on the world and the end result is a bunch of garbage.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I believe this is called UFO stigma.

The federal government in the U.S. a long time a ago made sure they told the public in that believing in UFOs is equal to being crazy.
They (and other governments) have successfully done the same thing with conspiracy theories.