• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs: Seen One? Personal UFO Sightings (IHTM; Miscellaneous)

I live to the North of the town centre at Bury and looking out of the lounge window one morning I saw and heard a very odd something that was heading towards me. It was like a large round balloon with a kind of tail and was making a noise like a rather noisy lawn mower

Carl,

Very intrigued by your noisy balloony thing and the idea that it was emanating a "you ain't seen me" vibe. As always, when I read accounts of weird things, I want to fill in the mental image. So may I ask you a few questions?

You saw it out of the lounge window, but what was the outside environment? Was it a suburban street? Was anyone else around at the time, either inside or outside your house?

You say it looked like a large balloon. Roughly how large, would you estimate? Was it round or oval? And where was the tail positioned? Was it hanging down, like the string of a balloon would? Was the tail just dangling limply, or was it moving around in anyway?

The thing was moving towards you, but how was it moving? Smoothly? Erratically? Was it bouncing like a balloon? Was it off the ground all the time you saw it? Did it touch the ground? Was is heading directly towards you, or did its path meander at all?

Finally, and perhaps most intriguingly, how long was it visible to you? What happened to it? Did you get bored watching it? Did it vanish? Or move off in another direction? Did you feel that you wanted to go out and look for it? Did you ask other people if they heard or saw anything? How definite was the feeling that you ought not to be taking notice of it? Did you get left with a feeling of "oh well. How odd. Never mind. It was just one of those things" afterwards?

Sorry for the interrogation - and this isn't the first time I've said those words to posters on here!! - but your account of this incident really intrigues me!

Thanks,

Kam.

Last edited:
Carl,

Very intrigued by your noisy balloony thing and the idea that it was emanating a "you ain't seen me" vibe. As always, when I read accounts of weird things, I want to fill in the mental image. So may I ask you a few questions?

You saw it out of the lounge window, but what was the outside environment? Was it a suburban street? Was anyone else around at the time, either inside or outside your house?

You say it looked like a large balloon. Roughly how large, would you estimate? Was it round or oval? And where was the tail positioned? Was it hanging down, like the string of a balloon would? Was the tail just dangling limply, or was it moving around in anyway?

The thing was moving towards you, but how was it moving? Smoothly? Erratically? Was it bouncing like a balloon? Was it off the ground all the time you saw it? Did it touch the ground? Was is heading directly towards you, or did its path meander at all?

Finally, and perhaps most intriguingly, how long was it visible to you? What happened to it? Did you get bored watching it? Did it vanish? Or move off in another direction? Did you feel that you wanted to go out and look for it? Did you ask other people if they heard or saw anything? How definite was the feeling that you ought not to be taking notice of it? Did you get left with a feeling of "oh well. How odd. Never mind. It was just one of those things" afterwards?

Sorry for the interrogation - and this isn't the first time I've said those words to posters on here!! - but your account of this incident really intrigues me!

Thanks,

Kam.
OK, just to avoid confusion with the previous post, this happened in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, not Bury in Lancs.

The view out of the lounge window (in a first floor maisonette) was partly of a small close, and mostly of back gardens. In the distance to the left the Sugar factory can be seen.

The "balloon" like thing seemed to be around 4-5 ft diameter, it seemed to be slightly oval maybe but I could be wrong about that. The tail section I suppose might have been the same length although of course it was mostly hidden behind the balloon. It didn't seem to be a great height, maybe 1-200 feet at a guess. It was moving towards me and slightly to the left so it wouldn't have come directly over me, at a constant height. It was moving in a straight line, as far as I could tell. After maybe 20 secs max it passed out of my sight over the eaves. It was annoying that I didn't have a camera to hand, but I knew I didn't have the time to go and get one.

No, I never asked anyone else, which I suppose is odd in itself. The feeling was very undramatic, it was there but I just registered it along with the sighting itself. I thought it must be something that students might have made as a prank, especially as the thing was making such a loud noise, as though they had built it from a lawnmower motor, but thinking about it now the balloon wouldn't have been big enough to carry such a motor, and why was there no sign of a propellor?

I will do a drawing of what I can remember and upload it, plus a photo of the location.

OK, here's a very crude picture.

100_0756.JPG

And here's an idea of the view:

2019.1.8. (3).jpg

I know I have a few better pictures but this gives an idea!

Thanks very much Carl. So the thing was above the height of the nearby houses seen in your photo and it flew over the block you were in. As it approached, did the noise get noticeably louder and follow the object as it passed overhead? I guess what I'm asking is were you confident that the sound you could hear was coming from it and not another source?

And thanks by the way for such a full and detailed reply to my interrogation!

Thanks very much Carl. So the thing was above the height of the nearby houses seen in your photo and it flew over the block you were in. As it approached, did the noise get noticeably louder and follow the object as it passed overhead? I guess what I'm asking is were you confident that the sound you could hear was coming from it and not another source?

And thanks by the way for such a full and detailed reply to my interrogation!
Yes, higher than the buildings and the sound was definitely coming from the object, it was the sound that made me look out of the window.

Were any of those double glazed windows open…? I’m asking as would have made a difference to the volume of the noise you heard

its not a hot air balloon (obviously) but there is a hot air balloon company based in Bury St Edmunds:
http://www.wizardballoons.co.uk/contact-wizard-balloons.html

they have been operating for “over 20 years”.. Might be worth asking them what they think…?

Last edited:
Were any of those double glazed windows open…? I’m asking as would have made a difference to the volume of the noise you heard

its not a hot air balloon (obviously) but there is a hot air balloon company based in Bury St Edmunds:
http://www.wizardballoons.co.uk/contact-wizard-balloons.html

they have been operating for “over 20 years”.. Might be worth asking them what they think…?
I must have some kind of record as to when this happened, will have to go through my diaries. If it was in a warm period, my wife would definitely have had the small upper window open. The noise was quite loud, I would say.

Not sure how hot air balloons might figure in this, though.

Incidentally, a few years later a UFO was allegedly seen right in the middle of Bury, over the cathedral in fact. At that time I was working at a school near there and a colleague was a guide at the cathedral. Unfortunately he hadn't seen it himself.

Help me identify my flying object. I’ve just seen something that I’m not sure what it is. I’m pretty sure it’s not aliens. I’m thinking drone. It had a green flashing light and stayed in the same spot for a while before moving slightly and coming back. It’s dark out though, can you get drones with night vision?

I have got a video, but it’s not great and I’m cursing myself for filming in portrait. Also don’t get excited by my lens flare which is more exciting than the object at the beginning.

Help me identify my flying object. I’ve just seen something that I’m not sure what it is. I’m pretty sure it’s not aliens. I’m thinking drone. It had a green flashing light and stayed in the same spot for a while before moving slightly and coming back. It’s dark out though, can you get drones with night vision?

I have got a video, but it’s not great and I’m cursing myself for filming in portrait. Also don’t get excited by my lens flare which is more exciting than the object at the beginning.

I’ve just thought. We often have police helicopters flying around at night looking for dodgy people (I presume). I wonder if this might be a police drone, a subtler and cheaper alternative.

I've certainly seen a couple of drones operating at night which had a flashing light a bit like this.

I’ve just thought. We often have police helicopters flying around at night looking for dodgy people (I presume). I wonder if this might be a police drone, a subtler and cheaper alternative.
Odd - would a helicopter have more lights on it than just one? Back in the 90s we saw a red flashing light flying along in the skies of Paterson, stopped completely for a while, then started flying back in the direction it came from. This was on a dark night, and we just figured it was a helicopter also.

Help me identify my flying object. I’ve just seen something that I’m not sure what it is. I’m pretty sure it’s not aliens. I’m thinking drone. It had a green flashing light and stayed in the same spot for a while before moving slightly and coming back. It’s dark out though, can you get drones with night vision? ...

Based on what I can tell from the video ... I see fairly continuous movement by the object, which would seem to be little movement if it were traveling directly toward or away from you. I think it's an aircraft at a substantial distance from you, and I can't rule out the possibility it's a fixed-wing plane moving at angles (relative to your vantage point) that minimize the apparent movement.

Based on what I can tell from the video ... I see fairly continuous movement by the object, which would seem to be little movement if it were traveling directly toward or away from you. I think it's an aircraft at a substantial distance from you, and I can't rule out the possibility it's a fixed-wing plane moving at angles (relative to your vantage point) that minimize the apparent movement.
It wasn’t a plane. They have red and white lights, it was the fact the light was green that drew my attention. It stayed at the same point for ages then moved to the right for a little and then went back to the original point again.

It wasn’t a plane. They have red and white lights, it was the fact the light was green that drew my attention. It stayed at the same point for ages then moved to the right for a little and then went back to the original point again.
I would put my money on drone, tbh. I don't have a positive identification for the light color, but they do seem to be around more lately.

Starboard navigation light on a distant aircraft, which changes course.

maximus otter

I'd love to experience a U.F.O sighting , I think it'd be something to see

Honestly , I'd like to have an Alien Contactee experience ( a friendly one )
& then get contacted by M.I.B
asking questions trying to extract whatever info I may know .

Boy , that'd be one for the books .... an experience for sure but I'd be up for it .

So if any " out-of-this-world " aliens are up to making contact with me I'm game

I'd love to experience a U.F.O sighting , I think it'd be something to see

Honestly , I'd like to have an Alien Contactee experience ( a friendly one )
& then get contacted by M.I.B
asking questions trying to extract whatever info I may know .

Boy , that'd be one for the books .... an experience for sure but I'd be up for it .

So if any " out-of-this-world " aliens are up to making contact with me I'm game
Would it bother you if nobody believed your experience?

After I read about a Russian airliner having an encounter with a ufo like a green cloud I rang an Australian ufo group to tell them about my experience with the green light.
The woman who answered was rather dismissive and said noone else had reported anything so I just said " ok" and left it at that.

Would it bother you if nobody believed your experience?
Besides my husband, I never mentioned my close-up UFO sighting to anyone. The few times I dared to, it was dismissed and ridiculed, so I left it at that.
The only time anyone has been interested, was when I wrote about my experience here.
I think the whole UFO subject is quite frightening to most people, they don't want to acknowledge it.

Besides my husband, I never mentioned my close-up UFO sighting to anyone. The few times I dared to, it was dismissed and ridiculed, so I left it at that.
The only time anyone has been interested, was when I wrote about my experience here.
I think the whole UFO subject is quite frightening to most people, they don't want to acknowledge it.
I'm glad you found somewhere to share your experience. That must have been frustrating.

No , not really

Could care less if anybody believed my story .
Same here. And never cared who thought or thinks I'm nuts. I've told anyone and everyone about my sighting. (Including a posting at NUFORC and here on FT ~ NUFORC has updated its site and no loner gives access to sightings from the 1990s as far as I can tell. I also posted it with my email address, which they did not use and said it was sent anonymously(?) which was not the case. No one from NUFORC ever emailed for any type of confirmation.) Anyway, I've talked to many people about the Triangle I saw in January,1990 and most people dismiss it... after asking if I was drinking. I always tell them, "No, not drunk," and then add "I've been drunk a lot of times but never hallucinated a UFO of any sort, let alone a triangular one." (To the best of my recall, in 1990 I'd never heard or read about the now well-known black triangles. So, I guess IF I was going to imagine one, it would have taken the classic "saucer shape." Plus, even though I constantly look for another, I've never seen one since.)

Back