• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs: Seen One? Personal UFO Sightings (IHTM; Miscellaneous)

lucydru

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I did see a ufo once. My mum spotted it out of the bedroom window. I was lazing on the sofa watching the Heartbeat at the time (I recall it was around xmas, xmas eve I think, 9pm). My shouted me to say she could see something. I couldn't see it from downstairs so I went upstairs. When I looked out the window I could see a yellowy green light. I thought it was light's from a ship at the time (where I live you can see a little bit of the north sea through a gap between 2 houses). Mum was sure it was to high up to be a ship. It stayed in the same place for a little over 15 mins after that we stopped looking and when we looked again (not long after) it was gone.

I have now come to the conclusion (after seeing ships on the sea at night) that what we was wasn't a ship. Like my mum said it was too high up on the horizon.

lucydru

It's interesting that lucydru saw a UFO over water, did it have any other features, or a shape that you saw?

When I lived in Edinburgh my room was high up and I could see the Firth of Forth and the Bass Rock from my window.. I remember a clear day in spring with sunshine on the water and above the rock, which at that point was about six miles away (and it's got to be 500 feet high) and a little in front of it was a heeuge thing in the air, transparent and refractive, green and pink like glass gets if it's buried a long time. It just hung there like it was meant to be hovering 600 feet above the water.. god only knows how big it was, i'd say 400 feet on a side. Shaped like a diamond. Never got a satisfactory answer to that one!

Spotting groups are great, you have to watch out for the one (there's always one) who tries to freak you out and send you running scared for the car! Never drink Jack Daniels whilst trying to take scholarly notes. It don't work..
:p

The ufo in question was a yellowy green ball of light. I have no idea about the distance or size of it as I am useless trying to figure that stuff out.

lucydru

... there is some evidence that wanting to observe an event will increase the probability of it happening. Combine that with a location with a high density of sightings, and the probability goes up further.

My own personal UFO sighting combined both. Coincidentally (always, right?), I had been reading one of those compiliation books of old FTs and had just read something about the study that showed that there was a high concentration of French UFO sightings along fault lines. The theory was that the piezoelectric effect was causing various forms of electromagnetic radiation. I thought, well, that explains California.... Where I was heading for my dad's wedding, which was at a bed and breakfast in the shadow of Mount Shasta. That weekend, my siblings and I heard all about how Mount Shasta and environs were known as a UFO hotspot. Given the amazing scenery, it made sense. At the rehearsal dinner in this little restaurant at the foot of the mountain, we got to watch the cloud cover and it really was strange. Driving back to the B&B, one of my brothers pointed out this weird light in the sky. There were no clouds anywhere in the sky except by the mountain, which was in the other direction. It was twilight, but there was good light except in the valleys. I couldn't really watch it, as I was the one driving, but my brothers (24 and 16) and sister (13) watched it and described it and thought out loud. The weirdest thing was that it was just this cone of light, nothing like an airplane's lights, could have been a helicopter's search light but it was way too high in the sky to be searching for something on the ground. It was really strange how it was lighting up the sky around it, as there were no clouds or anything for the illumination to show on, and there was too much ambient light. The older brother said that he thought it looked like it was moving away from the light, which didn't make sense for a plane or helicopter. I couldn't watch it for more than a brief glimpse at a time, but I did get enough to see what he meant. My guess was that it was some stupid missle interception test or whatever that the Pentagon felt was worthy of spending more money than I can fathom on that we had heard about in the radio while driving up earlier that day. I hadn't heard anything about it previous to that, but my brother assured me it had been a big topic in the news of late. We found out the next morning that that's what it had been. It ended up being an IFO, but it was a UFO to us for a good 12 hours, and that was nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family and I have seen many a strange light in the sky around the Peak District, my mother had some quite terrifying experiences while I was a baby. We also once saw a very strange thing while driving over the north Yorkshire moors...

bye

On the evening (8-10pm) of wed. 4th March 1992 I saw a big orange UFO while walking the dog, this was no distant light.

What I think I'll do is pop out to the spot (the dog died a couple of years ago) to mark the occasion and on the off chance that the forces behind the phenomenon decide to do the same. You never know!

Anyway, considering that 2000 was a leap year would that mean the true anniversary will be half a day earlier (8-10am on mon. 4th March 2002) or later?

It hardly feels like 10 years...no, wait, it does.

-Justin.

Good Luck Justin - Don't forget your camera!

Best of luck with your tenth anniversary vigil. But don't be too disappointed if 'big orange' doesn't turn up.

It's a bit like stepping out into the road at exactly the same time and at exactly the same place on the 10th anniversary of the day that you got hit by a truck and expecting the same driver and vehicle to be coming down that same road and repeating the unfortunate event ... Hey, what am I saying ... isn't that the kind of event that we forteans read about in the magazine each month?

On second thoughts! Go for it Justin - and make sure you have plenty of film in your camera!;)

The Boggart

I'm not sure if it will be a vigil as such. I'll probably walk out there, hang around for a little while, then return home. Besides, the area is visible from where I live anyway.

Don't many trucks run to regular shedules?

-J

I am genuinely curious. Do you really think you saw a craft from another planet or time or both?

I am not ripping you, I want to know what your heart of heart really truly believes.

Where or when do you think they came from?

Do you think it was a manned (for lack of a better term) craft, or automated?

Why do you think they were here?

Honest questions....

:cool:

Basically, I don't know what it was. It was a glowing, orange, oval shaped object that did nothing more than travel along at a steady pace. It's difficult to judge sizes and distances, especially after ten years, but I reckon it was about the size of a car and was, maybe, 30-50 metres away.

I have no reason to think it was any kind of craft, including a hot air balloon/airship (who would be flying around at night in the countryside near trees?). An alternative idea is that it was some kind of exotic, luminous meteorological phenomenon but all the photos of 'earth lights' I've seen have been of amorphous blobs.

With regard to the anniversary, I kinda bottled out. I just looked out of the window a few times. The thing is, back in 1992 I saw what appeared to be the same object, doing the same thing in the same place a second time on 29th April at around 10pm, only I was further away. So maybe I'll get a second chance.

-J

A few years ago whilst driving back from a day out. We passed the local castle........................

It was dark and we were all rather tired and as we passed the local castle we saw a weird aura of lights in the sky. we drove up to the castle and we all climbed out of the car.

We thought we were in for a close encounter but then realised it was a late night laser display from the castle (some celebration or other).

It had us fooled for a few seconds though!!!!!!!!

So thats my story of a 'U.F.O.'

Anyone got a real story????????:confused:

Hi rabbit 999................Way back in the 1970's my husband had a really creepy sighting of a huge U.F.O. down on the railway lines at Gillingham in Kent late at night.
He was returning from a late shift(he was a railway employee ) and taking a short-cut back home.Suddenly a huge circular craft lit up with lights, passed silently over him.He was really shaken .A late night signalman also saw this and was terrified to the point of speechlessness. My husband never discussed this event with anyone for years and still doesn't like talking about it.Interestingly the nearbye Chatham Dockyards were a hot-bed of military( some nuclear ) activity at the time..Clue??? Maybe. This is a previously unreported sighting.......so there's a first for you !!!

Love'Light XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

UF... satellites?

I was recently watching the stars with my girlfriend (yeah yeah), and we spotted the odd satellite here and there. You can tell the satellites from the airplanes because of how distant they are and the absence of flashing lights. However one object I initially presumed was another satellite, gave off an intense bright light, asif someone had shone a bright flashlight directly at us. The light lasted for around three seconds and then faded. This repeated around ten seconds later, and again after another ten seconds before going out of sight.

Was this maybe some sort of high-altitude weather balloon or something more interesting?

Flashes coming from satellites these days are quite common; particularly Iridium flares- although a multiple flasher like that might have been the Sace sation itself.
It is sunlight reflecting off the solar panels.

Many of the satellites that flash bright-then-dim
are considered "space junk" -- that is they are
no longer in use and they are beginning to
tumble in their orbit. This causes the solar panels,
shiny parts, etc... to reflect light as you describe.

I watch satellites often and have seen many that
do what you describe!

FWIW
TVgeek

ahh this would probably explain what I saw.. makes sense.

contender for the most short-lived fortean suspicion ever?

saw a bunch of lights hovering over a local viking mound that some one built a telecomms mast next to, had to be in the air as the top of the telecomms mast was visable from the red warning light at the top of it. they moved arround there for a couple of hours then disappeared.

This was 10 years ago and i have no idea what it was, but we are on a main plane route to edinburgh so the liklyhood that theres a simple explanation is likly.

OH YES

I'm quite sure that half the people who read this won't believe me but I swear it's true. Last week, on Thursday night, I was on my way to bed when I looked out of the landing window to see if I could see Mars. As it happens, I couldn't because it was behind a tree, but Just as I was about to turn away I saw what must have been a huge triangular object flying from the northwest to the southeast in a straight line. I say it was huge because there was a high level haze that night which the object seemed to be in. The Moon was full and I lost sight of the object when the glare from the Moon blocked it out. It had a light on each tip that wasn't particularly bright and shone with a peachy golden colour. The lights were not pinpoints. They were D shaped but with the straight edge slightly rounded. The object itself was slightly larger than the moon to look at. this was at 11.20 p.m.. As the object passed over a star it blocked it out so it would appear to be solid though the outline was hard to make out because of the haze. I was shocked enough by this to report it to the Leicestershire police the next day. The whole thing only took about 40 seconds to a minute, but has totally changed my outlook. Has anyone else seen something similar? there was absolutely no noise by the way, as I did open the window to check it wasn't a reflection in the glass.

My UFO Sighting debunked

TVGeek tells us..

Many of the satellites that flash bright-then-dim
are considered "space junk" -- that is they are
no longer in use and they are beginning to
tumble in their orbit. This causes the solar panels,
shiny parts, etc... to reflect light as you describe.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a light in the sky which moved like a satellite, except it was pulsating once every 5 seconds or so, going from about magnitude 2 to practically invisible.

I got quite excited thinking I may have seen something strange. But no - it was a chunk of tumbling space junk.

I've seen a few. one was a metallic looking sphere hovering well above the threes and moving erratically and was remarkably like those ones scene over Mexico City. This was in my backyard on a lazy august evening. I also saw these spinning light discs over tepuis (table top mountains) in the Huachamacari region in South Venezuela. Only in that area, three nights they were visible, stationary but moving in different positions from one night to the next over the tepuis. The Gran Sabana is a hotbed of UFO activity and I indeed believe that since I've seen them there.

Thanx 4 replying to me guys. Dont worry Spaismunkey, I believe you. Thanks for the site Acetone. The stories are all great.
Keep them coming!!!!:yeay:

Woops sorry guys that wasnt supposed to come up as Karenlilly that was supposed to come up as Rabbit999!!!! I didnt log my mum off so the post came up under my mums name!!!!

Just imagine that post was done under rabbit999.

Thank you:)

Spaismunky asked about sighting a flying triangle;

Has anyone else seen something similar? there was absolutely no noise by the way, as I did open the window to check it wasn't a reflection in the glass.

---------

Yes, indeedy, I have. In January of 1990. It was HUGE & SILENT and I am still watching the skies EVERY time I go out at night, hoping to see another one.

(Well, yes, I am nutz, thank-you veddy much. :D But I have never forgotten the experience. And by the way, I have two other friends who also saw a similar flying triangle, separately, on two other occasions.)

-Sudi

Georgia UFO

I'm currently in Georgia, USA (UFO central during the late 60s and early 70s) and about two months ago I was outside on my porch smoking (all legal :smokin: ) when I noticed a bright orange light heading towards the house up in the sky.

Being in the country, satellites are easy to spot but this was no satellite. It was much bigger (like a beach ball) and moved slowly.

It got to just above my house, stopped and then rose up until it disappeared from view.

A month later, it came back and this time my fiancé witnessed it with me. Except this time it didn't stop, it just moved slowly over the house before if grew dim and then disappeared.

I would love to know what this is.

1) It was not a planet, planets don't move across the sky and then rise up.

2) It was not a meteorite or any other kind of debris falling to Earth.

3) It was not a helicopter or plane as there was no sound (unless it was a silent black helicopter :sceptic: ).

4) It was not a satellite, it was too large.

So what was it??

Could it have been the International Space Station or other orbiting object and when I saw it rise up it was only a trick of the light?? I only ask as the second sighting had the object in an identical path as the first and glided across the sky in a straight line.

Any ideas as to what this could be??

Re: Georgia UFO

Rincewind said:
I'm currently in Georgia, USA (UFO central during the late 60s and early 70s) and about two months ago I was outside on my porch smoking (all legal :smokin: ) when I noticed a bright orange light heading towards the house up in the sky.

Being in the country, satellites are easy to spot but this was no satellite. It was much bigger (like a beach ball) and moved slowly.

It got to just above my house, stopped and then rose up until it disappeared from view.

A month later, it came back and this time my fiancé witnessed it with me. Except this time it didn't stop, it just moved slowly over the house before if grew dim and then disappeared.

I would love to know what this is.

1) It was not a planet, planets don't move across the sky and then rise up.

2) It was not a meteorite or any other kind of debris falling to Earth.

3) It was not a helicopter or plane as there was no sound (unless it was a silent black helicopter :sceptic: ).

4) It was not a satellite, it was too large.

So what was it??

Could it have been the International Space Station or other orbiting object and when I saw it rise up it was only a trick of the light?? I only ask as the second sighting had the object in an identical path as the first and glided across the sky in a straight line.

Any ideas as to what this could be??

Well im baffled,:confused: It could have been a u.f.o. or a silent black helicopter belonging to the f.b.i. that the goverment dont want us to know about:blah:

I've seen a few UFO's, but the sighting that really stands out in mind was of an odd, probably atmospheric effect a few years ago.

I was standing in our back garden, looking into the sky towards the south west, when I noticed what I can only describe as a 'worm', expanding horizontally in the sky. The direction would put it over the River Humber. The sky was absolutely clear, no cloud apart from this strange 'thing'. It seemed to be a series of rings of cloud, growing longer by the second. I quickly went back in the house to get my wife to come and see, and, in classic fortean tradition, when we got back outside it had gone.

I couldn't hear any aeroplane noise, or see one, so I think that can be ruled out as the solution, and why would it disappear so quickly, and I'm talking about half a minute at the most.

I've had three UFO sightings. The first took place around 6-7 years ago, I was in the car with my family when my dad pulled the car over to observe a bird of prey. Whilst he was watching the bird with his binoculars, myself, mum and sister were staring at a saucer shaped object in the sky. I can't remember much about this sighting, but it was close enough to tell that it wasn't a plan and the underneath of the object was red. My mum also agreed that it didn't appear to be a plane. We then got back into the car to find out that my dad was watching a bird rather than the UFO.
My next sighting occurred in June of this year. My dad and I were driving around the same area as my first sighting (It's a bushy area with a pine plantation in the area). As we were driving around the pine plantation, I could a very brief glimpse of an oject in the sky which the sun was reflecting off. I only saw it for a second, as we turned a corner and the pine trees blocked my view. It appeared to be metallic, very shiny.
My next sighting came just days after the previos one. This time around a 10 minute drive from where the other two sightings occured. My friend and I were driving to his place at around 6pm as the sun was beginning to set. Something in the sky caught my attention. There was another reflective, disc shaped object. As we kept driving, the object began rising, moving vertically, rising above clouds until it was out of sight. This sighting lasted around 5 minutes. It obviously wasn't a plane as it was moving vertically and I've never seen helicopters fly that high.
Can anyone offer an explanation?
Cheers

A TRUE story

My brother worked as a railway guard in the early 80s and knew many train drivers.

One had this story to tell.................

The driver and mate were tootling along between Chester and Crewe in an old Diesel (class 37 I think) when, whoa, a strange circular object appeared from above them. It veered to the left and right in the air then suddenly swooped over a hedge and disapeared. The engine began sputtering and cutting out and they only reached their stop with difficulty.

On their arrival the boss noticed that they were both as white as sheets, and wrung from them the shocking account of the flying saucer and the suddenly malfunctioning engine.

Meanwhile, a farmer two miles down the track had rung to complain that a giant cooling fan had come dislodged from on top of a passing engine and flown into his field, scaring his cattle, and would someone please come and take it away!;)

EE Type 3's, I loved 'em. Used to be dead common round here, but all we get now are bloody GM 66's!

Seriously, given that UFO's are supposed to cause disruption to elecrical systems, has anyone heard of such a thing happening to trains? Electric or diesel electric?

Back