• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs: Seen One? Personal UFO Sightings (IHTM; Miscellaneous)

Curiously enough, in retrospect, it almost seemed as though it ( the 'ship', it's occupants, or who/whatever was controlling it ) WANTED us to see it, if only for the brief duration of the sighting, which was roughly a little over a minute...as if saying, "now this will really f*** your mind up". I have always found it ironic that the most extreme UFO afficianados, who spend most of their lives searching the skies in hopes of spying said objects, invariably never do, while individuals without the slightest interest in the subject ( my friend and myself ) are usually the ones 'rewarded' with a sighting. But I suppose that's the case with any fortean subject ( cryptozoology, parapsychology, etc. ).

Re: Yes!! I have !! on Mars

ruffready said:
look it here newest spirit rover image sunset on mars (with a UFO flying high in the sky !! )http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/n/094/2N134687551ESF2700P1962L0M1.HTML

It looks like it's trying to destroy the Mars Lander with laser torpedoes, although the aim is a bit off. ;)

If you open up the bigger version of that picture, that little black blob does take on a certain kind of shape though, sort of like an Apollo rocket shape, but slightly compressed with one of the boosters chopped off the end. Curiouser and curiouser..

I have seen two UFO's in my life time and while I don't think that either of them was a visitor from another world I am still searching for a logical explanation.

The first was on Portugal, Christmas 1988. I was staying in Albufeira and watched a light travel across the sky. At first I assumed it was an aircraft as were I was staying was on the flight path to the airport. The light went behind a very small cloud but did not appear again out the other side. It made no noise and all I could see was a light, no definiative shape.

The second was a few weeks ago in Nottingham. I was at traffic lights in the Basford area and saw a shiny black plastic looking shape flying across the sky. The only way can describe it was it looked like a man sitting on a chair (yes really). It travelled in a straight line and was quite fast. The sun was shining on it and reflecting off the shiny black surface. I defy anyone to come up with a logical explanation.

I have tried every conceivable variation, plane, helicopter even a black plastic bag, but nothing fits. Just a plain weird UFO.

When I was younger I had two experiences that were a little strange. The first one occured on Christmas Eve when I was out walking our dog with my dad and my brother. I saw a light in the sky that I would have thought was an airplaine, however it was going really fast. I have never seen an airplane go that fast. The other experience was one night when I was lying in bed looking out the window. I saw a light that seemed to just kind of be slowly floating around the sky. I watched it for a while and eventually it went away. I don't know what either of these were. At the time I assumed the first one was Santa Clause. They might have been aliens, they might have been something else. I don't know.

"I defy anyone to come up with a logical explanation. "

I'm not even going to bother. I don't like logical explanations. They're boring and they seem fake.:D

RainyOcean said:
When I was younger I had two experiences that were a little strange. The first one occured on Christmas Eve when I was out walking our dog with my dad and my brother. I saw a light in the sky that I would have thought was an airplaine, however it was going really fast. I have never seen an airplane go that fast. The other experience was one night when I was lying in bed looking out the window. I saw a light that seemed to just kind of be slowly floating around the sky. I watched it for a while and eventually it went away. I don't know what either of these were. At the time I assumed the first one was Santa Clause. They might have been aliens, they might have been something else. I don't know.

Rainy, I know you don't like logical explanations but the second 'floating' light sounds just like a Police helicopter circling. I have seen this many times and at night you can't always here it or see anything but the light.

I suspect the first was a military plane.

However they are UFO's in the strict sense of the word. You haven't identified them :D

I am still trying to figure out what my UFO was (see above). Anyone got any ideas?

Elffriend said:
I saw a shiny black plastic looking shape flying across the sky. The only way can describe it was it looked like a man sitting on a chair (yes really).
Unidentified Flying Shadowman?:confused:

believe me it pays to have your gas fire installed by a corgi approved fitter :D

Minor Update:

A while back I posted that one of the friends who had also seen a Flying Triangle called a second mutual friend (who has also seen one,) to tell him that he had seen another one.

I never heard back from either one of them, so I tracked down the friend who said he'd seen a second triangle, at the mall where he works.

(These are two guys I have known about 25 years, from old punk rock bands and so forth, and they are closer pals with one another than I am to either of them, so it's not a case of seeing them frequently or hanging out on a regular basis. I was hoping that friend number two, who told me that friend number one had seen a second triangle would relay my request to friend number one...and he'd get back in touch. Anyway, he didn't call so I had to ferret him out at work.)

When I finally caught up with pal #1, (two trips to the mall to catch him at work,) I asked him about the second sighting.

He said he is convinced that the second "sighting" was probably "three helicopters." And was fairly vague and not as definite as when he describes the first sighting, which flew over his apartment one night as he was taking some garbage to the alleyway garbage can.

He has also studied art and I badgered him to at least draw a sketch of the alleyway sighting so I could post it.

He was almost amenable to that idea.

But he is a quirky guy. He may or may not do it.

(I have also begged that (second) friend, also an artist, to sketch what he saw....alas....nothing...)

The only odd factor I can extract from the information he did give me at the mall, is that his "second" sighting of "three helicopters" did occur on the same main road that I saw the triangle, only about a mile east of where I saw mine.

-Sudi

ufos

i have seen three seperate ufo sightings, the first when i was 7 yrs old, this was a large white ball that moved across the sky at a steady (not to quick not to slow) pace, it had a white ribbon like tail behind it, it went behind a building and did not emerge from the other side.

the second was whilst i was in cornwall for the eclipse in aug 99, just after the eclipse had happened and whilst it was still dark three red circular lights appeared in a triangle formation, as it became lighter agian they slowly dissapeared one by one fading out as they went. this was witnessed by several people on the campsite we were staying on although nothing more was said about it after an hour or so, i took a picture of the lights but yes you`ve guessed it, out of the whole roll of film it was the only pic that didn`t turn out and the negative was just blank.

the third was whilst i was driving down the M60 towards the trafford centre, i saw a clear sphere fly in a perfect straight line across barton bridge off towards warrington direction, i lost sight of it after only a few seconds ( i was driving at the time).

this is my first post after many months of reading the boards,
thanks for your time.

gunther91 quote:

the second was whilst i was in cornwall for the eclipse in aug 99, just after the eclipse had happened and whilst it was still dark three red circular lights appeared in a triangle formation, as it became lighter agian they slowly dissapeared one by one fading out as they went. this was witnessed by several people on the campsite we were staying on although nothing more was said about it

Yes, I feel compelled to point out this aspect (of not discussing something unusual,) once again.

gunther- when your group saw the triangle, did anyone speculate about it being weird?
--------------
On another note, I watch the "Discovery Wings" channel a lot. There are always shows on which trace the interest in the delta wing shape, experimenting as early as 1948.

eclipse

sorry about the vagueness Sudi

yes a couple of my friends thought that it was weird, but unfortunatly they`re not the most open minded people in the world and put it down to a natural occurence.???

I talked to a few other people on the camp who we didn`t know and again these people thought that what they saw was very strange, all of them "never seeing anything like it before" but again nobody really to go into a full blown conversation about it.

i have spoken to my friends about it since then and none of them have really thought about it since that day, but as i say they`re not the type of people to question if they dont understand.

I myself felt a great feeling of inner peace that day, and have been far more aware of myself since. wether this was a result of seeing the lights or seeing the eclipse i dont know. but as i stated i felt no anxiety when looking at the lights, and i dont want to open a can of worms here but it did feel like i was being watched.

No need to apologize. :)
I am just curious about the "casual" aspect of people's reactions when they see a triangular shaped UFO.

For the record, I didn't feel any anxiety when I spottted one of the triangles, either.

I want to see another one and look every time I go out.

Thanks for the extra info.

-Sudi

:confused: We were rather the same, we did exclaim ' What the bleep was that? ' And then suddenly all switched off and talked about other things during the rest of the drive home.

Not sure if this should go here or in "It Happened to Me"

A couple of days ago (17/9/04) I was out on the front step about 10pm when I saw what I thought was the lights of a distant aircraft, they flashed and included white red and green components. They were due south of me and about 35 degrees above the horizon. They seemed nearly stationary (like an aircraft flying directly towards me) with a very small lateral component to the West. They were high - occassionally the lights were difused the high whispy cloud near the horizon and distant - little discernable angular separation about 1 Venus diameter. Yes I can see Venus as more than a point source but have never seen phases.

Now aircraft are not unusual in that area of the sky, I live about 10m from RNAS Culdrose and at first that is what I thought it was - except that the lights did not appear to flash with any sort of regularity. Almost convinced it was an aircraft, I called Caroline out to look at it intending to say that this was the sort of thing that caused UFO stories. Like me she tried to see a periodicity to the various coloured flashes.

Then it began to move West, covering the 50 - 55 degrees of sky until we lost sight of it in 20 - 25 seconds.

During this flight there was no apparent change in the separation of the lights and no noise of either jet or piston engine

This may not seem unusual except that if the "aircraft" was 2 miles from me and it took 25 seconds to go from vision then it would have been travelling at about 350mph (430 if 20 seconds). Any aircraft traveling at those sort of speeds would be vey noisy and I would expect to hear even a very small piston engined craft at that distance.

However I guestimate that the distance was at least 5 miles. If this is correct then the "aircraft" would have been traveling at between 720 and 900 mph and hearing it would have been certain (BANG)

I think I have just seen my first UFO :eek:

NEW Phoenix Lights Video

Phoenix Lights Video
Tonight's first hour guest, UFO hunter Jeff Willes (UfosOverPhoenix.com), captured a new video of the "Phoenix Lights" while investigating reports of sightings near northwest Phoenix. According to Willes, at 7:30PM on May 12, seven lights came out of nowhere, traveling in a north to south direction. Willes later contacted Luke Air Force Base about the lights, but they claimed to have no knowledge of the event.
SEE VIDEO HERE http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ (at least while they keep it posted) ALSO HERE PHOTOS OF UFO FROM VIDEO : http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page9 ... heme=light

I like the way they talk while filming: Hey dude, I got the lights , a set of five of them. Sweet, said the freind. :lol:

Neat stuff, ruffready.

I think that "tag-team" effect of the lights is really intriguing.

Thanks for that link.

(I just ordered and got "The Phoenix Lights" by Lynn D. Kitei, MD. I haven't read it all yet, though. It has that kind of "gee-whiz" appraoch in the writing that lends a sort of insubstantial quality to the observations. But I am weighing some of her experiences against my own and can use that as a sort of barometer as to shared validities.)

I've seen 3 U.F.O. First one was when I was 10 and I looked out of my bedroom wndow and saw this huge thing hovering over some old people homes, it was probably about fifty feet long.

second was when I was thirteen and it was about 10 O'clock at night and I was walking to a shop about 200 hundred feet from my house and I was with my step sister. I saw this large bright light in the sky, it appeared quite close because I could cover it with the end of my thumb, anyway, this light started to follow us down to the shop and when we went inside the shop it waited for us outside, and when we went home it carried on following us. We went inside and found my mom and two other siblings looking at it through the window, it waited for five minutes then shot off straight up in the air.

third was last year and I got a lift home from the cinema and it was dark, we saw this light going like a bat out of hell and I was watching it for a while. it crossed over the path of the moon and I saw this thing illuminated from the moonlight, it looked like a giant flying rectangle, I gat home and found my stepdad and brother had seen something, I worked out it's speed at 23,000 miles an hour although I would take that figure with a pinch of salt.

I have a faint memory of posting this story already but it might of been somewhere else online so to be safe ill post here now....

Driving in car with parents, i saw a 10 foot disk rising up from a housing developement and it was wobbling back and forth. We rounded some trees and i looked back it was no longer there. It was very large and OBVIOUS from our point of view but i was the only one in the car who saw it, everyone else thought i was nuts. So unstead of dead people, I see UFO's???

Different story: In the woods ontop a valley across from my old house in the forest was a disk of rotating multicolored lights at dusk, just above the trees. It stayed there hovering and silent for about 10 minutes. Everyone was really creeped out at the time and the parents had us go in the house but we watched thru the window. This was about 100 yards off.

Another sighting: At nighttime i witnessed a streak of light while driving from 500 above me it flew to the horizon in WAY less than a second. This was after doing some zigzags with another light up in the sky, like toying with each other. People suggested a comet or meteorite but i looked up info on those two things and it didnt match AT ALL.

Those are my 3 stories in short.

HERES A REAL GOOD ONE!!...... This is untold in any books or any place online but its a great sighting.

This one isnt mine but I will tell you guys about a popular sighting seen by multiple people that took place in my old rural town in northern michigan during a UFO wave i forget exactly which year tho. Many people who live there know about this...

In some rolling hills is hayfeilds a few miles outside of town. Approx 40 years ago, a couple of teenagers parked out on the crest of one of these hills and were "fooling around" in the car so to speak. Dusk passed and it started getting pretty dark. A light caught their eye, it was a giant disk craft about 100 foot across lowering into the field only a couple hundred feet off from them. The bottom portion started to open up and thats when they said this is enough for us!! They started the car up and drove back to the farmhouse, and looking back they saw the craft shoot up into the sky and away. They told their parents and phone calls were made (keep in mind this was during a ufo wave of the 60's I beleive and UFOs were a big thing at that time). Word got out quick and my mother tells of her father taking her and her brother up there to the cornfield that night. A handfull of cars were alerady there checking out a huge round imprint on the ground. It was published in the papers. I get a creepy feeling everytime I go by that area.

This has taken me all too long to post...

I spent a week in southern Missouri in mid-September.
The weather was beautiful and surprisingly cool
for the time of year.

My sister was driving her Suburban to pick up
my nephew from school around 3:30 in the afternoon and
the three of us were headed back to their
house. As a passenger in the vehicle, I was
able to look around freely and enjoy the scenery.

I was watching an approaching hill and I noticed a
puff of dust rising from the side of the road.
There seemed to be what may have been a large "clump" of dust
that did not dissipate... so I looked closer. Even though
it climbed higher into the sky and at a steady pace, it did NOT
dissipate as expected-- in fact it looked more like a white
VERY diffuse cloud rather than a puff of dust. I had time to
say "Oh, my God" three times before it was out of sight.
The oval-shaped cloud had risen to tree-level... past the
first set of trees and away behind more trees --
but it never rose any higher.

Because I was wide awake in the middle of the afternoon, my rational
brain kicked in -- how fast was it going? Who else saw it? Was
it really going with the wind? I noticed its size in relation
to the trees and looked closely for wings, tail or exhaust.

The object was pretty much between me and the sun -- so if it
had a solid mass, it should have appeared with a shadow
at the lower part -- but it didn't-- it was a misty white color.

By the time we got to the site at the top of the hill, the dust
was blowing across the road, but the "object" was no where to be seen.

The dust was clearly coming from the ditch at the side of the road,
but no obvious cause for "why" it got kicked up was visible.

Of all the times NOT to have my camera handy! The whole event took
about 15 seconds from first sighting to our reaching the area
where the dust was flying.

Putting it all together, the event looked like this:
there was a large automobile-sized, yet misty object sitting in
the ditch next to this major highway. It rose into
the air at a steady pace and climbed to tree-level, but no higher.
It traveled out of sight at that low level within 15 seconds or so.
The terrain being so hilly, it could have dipped out of sight at
almost any point-- but being at the top of the hill, it should have
been visible if it was a plane or helicopter climbing into the sky.

I was in shock -- and all 3 of us in the vehicle saw the dust cloud
but I was the only one who saw the object.

The next day, at the same time I took photos in the exact
area it occurred... follow the links to see my recreation of what I saw.

Here is a re-creation of what the object looked like:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/ ... bject2.jpg
The shape, size and color are exactly what I remember. (I did
the photos the very next day when it was still fresh in my mind!)

Here is the trajectory -- the solid lines cover the range
in which I actually saw the object. The dashed lines are
guesses based on how it was traveling:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/ ... bject1.jpg

Here is the area where the cloud of dust was rising from:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/ ... bject3.jpg
There is a house about 30 yards or so to the left, but its
driveway was nowhere near the ditch that was producing the dust.
Also, no farm machinery or animals in the field were visible.

OK -- it COULD have been co-incidence that a car had quickly
sped away from the ditch back onto the road and made the cloud.
The object COULD have been a low-flying plane in the distance that happened to be on the same trajectory and then became invisible in the
sunlight. But the timing of the two events was too coincidental.
Plus, being the foothills of the Ozarks, no pilot in their right
mind would fly that low in that terrain. (Plus the FAA would have
something to say about it!)

Even now, three weeks later the whole thing seems unreal.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions?

TVgeek

Sounds a bit like a dust devil - though normally they are more visible than that.

Could it have been a cloud of flying insects?

gncxx said:
Could it have been a cloud of flying insects?
Or birds?

Flock kicks up dust for some reason (dust bath?), then flies off?

Were there any reports of any other sightings at that time in the local media?

Good thought -- I should check with one of the UFO reporting centers
to see if anything turns up in southern Missouri/northern Arkansas
for the dates I was there.

Because the object was so bright -- either through sunlight
completely going through it (meaning it was not a solid object)
or it was self-illuminated. As I indicated it had no shadowy parts --
just a cloudy, oval shaped mass. If the thing had changed shape
or morphed AT ALL I could dismiss it immediately as any of the above
explanations -- but it had a definite oval shape with no visible
features at all. I've seen planes in bright sunlight, and this did
not have the "hard" reflection of light or even that sudden, bright glint of glass or metal that a plane would have.

Part of my fascination with watching the sky in that area is the fact that they have extremely huge buzzards that are absolutely beautiful
to watch in flight. For this reason, I always glance at the large, but always dark shapes of these birds when we travel. The locals don't even look twice at them... this makes me think that birds are unlikely. I had been consciously watching for birds in flight.

A dust devil is a possibility - but again, why did it not dissipate as it
would normally have done? My experience in seeing smoke, dust and clouds is that they will morph over time.

Insects would be more likely -- but I doubt they would have been such a solid white, and kept in such a tight formation. Being a "foreigner" in the area, I might not have recognized the killer bees for
what they were! ;)

Keep 'em coming!
TVgeek

Time to take out Occam's Razor from out of that musty chest in the shed...

Right.

How about this?

It was a drone.

Well, it was a white oval shaped casing self illuminated that flew off.

Was it silent?

Perhaps it was a new kind of remote control helium blimp drone.

Simplist explanation I think.

Might have been lucky to have seen it, maybe it will be revealed later like their frisbee drones (seen them on defense tech posted in Fortean Times breaking news).

ufo sighting

i was in the car on my way to college. i was staring out of the window. over the top of the trees there was a silvery light that was a disc shape. it hung there for about 5 seconds before disappearing all of a sudden :rolleyes:

Back