• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs: The Extratemporal Hypothesis

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I have long been aware of the idea that UFOs could represent probes coming back from our own distant future and piloted by what we ourselves will ultimately become.

This hypothesis has always entertained me, and I like the optimism of it too- after all, it supposes that humanity will not only survive - but survive into the far future with some advanced technologies at hand!

However, I have tended to consider the possibility of travel backwards through time to be even less likely than travelling at superluminal speeds from distant galaxies. For that reason I imagined there being a stalemate between this hypothesis and the familair and traditional ET one - with the weight a bit more on the ET side because...well, UFOs sort of look like spacecraft, don't they? Plus we know that space travel is a real possibility, but not that (directed) time travel (especially future to past) is.

Lately though, I caught an interview with Michael Masters , a respected `biological anthropologist`, on Open Minds Radio This sane sounding man has thrown his weight behind this theory with a new book devoted to it:

https://www.space.com/aliens-time-traveling-humans-ufo-hypothesis.html

Some of his points gave me pause. He claims the time traveller hypothesis to be more `parsimonious` because:

* We know that we - humans -exist and with this theory it is not necessary to postulate an advanced space faring civilisation (which may or may not be probable).

+According to him, bipedalism (walking on two legs) is something of a freak occurence and one not likely to be replicated by any aliens that might be out there. So the mere fact that the Ufonauts seem to be bipedal strognly suggests that they are just a version of us.

* He also points to the stealthy and shy nature of UFO operations. This sort of behaviour is what you might expect from chrononauts eager to avoid the Grandfather Paradox and just generally interefering with history - and far less what you might expect from a race which has arrived a vast distance from space to check out other sentient and intelligent beings.

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm intrigued. It would make a good item to go in last year's Christmas stocking. (Geddit?)

A number of species here on Earth developed bipedalism independently.
I would say the facial configuration is more the give away. No reason why an alien species would have the eyes or nose located in such a similar manner.

A time machine may in fact have many of the attributes of a spacecraft, I think.
This is because it needs to have minimal interaction with anything solid when it materialises - so it may materialise in space and then fly down to Earth. It's a lot easier to predict the movements and positions of the celestial bodies than it is to predict the movements and positions of aircraft, landscape features, people etc. Also - the act of time travel itself may require the use of some form of drive that may have effects over a large area. Better to do it in space, away from people.

"We know that we - humans -exist and with this theory it is not necessary to postulate an advanced space faring civilisation (which may or may not be probable)."

I'd say that's still necessary, we're nowhere near the tech required, and are going to have plenty of opportunity to wipe ourselves out first.

"We know that we - humans -exist and with this theory it is not necessary to postulate an advanced space faring civilisation (which may or may not be probable)."

I'd say that's still necessary, we're nowhere near the tech required, and are going to have plenty of opportunity to wipe ourselves out first.

A problem.

Suppose that our descendents did return to see essentially 'how they got where they are', and some clever people saw them and began creating a technology based on what the saw.
The visitors saw this, and went back home.
we developed the ideas to the point we had the means to blow up the planet; and we did.

Are we seeing the Grandad effect ?

Because if we blew up the planet there would be no descendents to return and give us the ideas.

* He also points to the stealthy and shy nature of UFO operations. This sort of behaviour is what you might expect from chrononauts eager to avoid the Grandfather Paradox and just generally interefering with history - and far less what you might expect from a race which has arrived a vast distance from space to check out other sentient and intelligent beings.
I don't really believe in the grandfather paradox. Alternate realities and all that, I think they'd set off a separate timeline, and it would start the moment they arrived, whether they remain invisible, get spotted by a Mexican copper, or probe a couple's bottoms.

As far as I can see, what we call the speed of light is basically the speed of causality. If alternate realities already exist, and the folk there have learned to break the light barrier, rather than traversing space, perhaps they're likely to learn more, travelling a shorter distance, by jumping the boundaries between their own world and another version of that world. One with a biology that split from their own some time in the past. One on which they may be able to breath. One on which the population may be making mistakes similar to their own. One with Costas in every garage. So, perhaps they're a potential future of us, or perhaps us evolved in a different direction, from an alternate present or past or future. And perhaps it makes no difference, when talking of time travel, in which direction one goes, it's still going to be a parallel dimension.

I've always liked the idea that 'they' could be inter-dimensional travelers that are humanoid...parallel reality type thing.
Science has postulated the Many Worlds Theory ...so why not humans or humanoids from another reality?

A number of species here on Earth developed bipedalism independently.
Only humans and penguins have erect spinal columns, though. Most bipedal creatures have horizonal sections of their spine that project forwards from the pelvis, and often a tail to balance it in the opposite direction.
I would say the facial configuration is more the give away. No reason why an alien species would have the eyes or nose located in such a similar manner.
Entirely true. Especially the mammalian jaw configuration, which does not resemble the mandibles from any other phylum.

Nick Redfern has touched on this in his Mysterious Universe articles, especially the manner in which the Ufonauts seem to behave in an exaggerated and cliched way. For example, they will be very obviously taking soil samples, often hold an object which has almost magical properties (stopping time, paralysing the witness, etc) and often be wearing a prominent belt that they touch to also perform ’magic’. It’s like they are putting on a show to mask their true purpose: “Look, here come our smelly, hairy ancestors, pretend you are an ET and look busy...!”

Nick Redfern has touched on this in his Mysterious Universe articles, especially the manner in which the Ufonauts seem to behave in an exaggerated and cliched way. For example, they will be very obviously taking soil samples, often hold an object which has almost magical properties (stopping time, paralysing the witness, etc) and often be wearing a prominent belt that they touch to also perform ’magic’. It’s like they are putting on a show to mask their true purpose: “Look, here come our smelly, hairy ancestors, pretend you are an ET and look busy...!”
In fact....(this idea of 'bizarre behavior'...or 'high strangeness').....Dr J Vallee was the first to really write about this and explore it's aspects in his early books, Invisible College and Messengers of Deception...I also recommend Dimensions by him.

I just opened up YouTube and saw a featured video in which a robot gorilla has been used to infiltrate gorillas in the wild for the first time. Not a great leap of the imagination to consider how a more advanced species/or future selves might use deception to observe us

I just opened up YouTube and saw a featured video in which a robot gorilla has been used to infiltrate gorillas in the wild for the first time. Not a great leap of the imagination to consider how a more advanced species/or future selves might use deception to observe us
So then.....maybe Bigfoot is really observing us....?

;)

Back