• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK Rules For The Disposal Of The Dead

Try these for a good overview:

https://www.lawandreligionuk.com/2016/07/29/public-health-funerals-and-direct-cremation/

https://www.goodfuneralguide.co.uk/do-it-all-yourself/ (about DIY funerals)

What I think I already know:

• There is no requirement in law to have a funeral ceremony, or use a funeral director at all. As long as there are no infection concerns or police investigations then it can be done entirely by next-of-kin (apart from the actual cremation or grave-digging, unless one has a mini digger or a decent spade)
  • There is no requirement to have a coffin, a shroud will suffice. I seem to remember a requirement that a body must be 'decently covered'.
  • Open cremations are normally not possible due to air pollution regulations (which is a shame for those wanting a Hindu or Viking send-off).
  • Burial in a private garden/land is possible providing the body will not contaminate groundwater.
But I may be entirely wrong! @titch is the person who may have the answers - if I remember correctly s/he works in a cemetery!
I have only been told as much as I need to know, never let a burial go ahead without obtaining the green certificate (five years in gaol if you do) and there legally must be two foot of soil between the top of the coffin and ground level.

Well IF you did have a dead body you needed rid of, my fee is very modest, if the bastard deserved it I will do it for free

If you're down Cromer way, there's always this option
burgervan.jpg

lt looks as though somebody has been a bit naughty:

“Sri Lanka has ordered the return of hundreds of tons of trash to Britain, the latest move in Southeast Asia's campaign to end its role as a dumping ground for garbage made in the West.

webp.net-resizeimage-14-2.jpg

According to Sri Lankan officials, the stinking containers include mounds of foul waste — including rotten human remains — and represent a breach of the terms on which the trash was shipped.

Sri Lankan customs officials accused the UK of illegally importing hazardous waste into the country since at least 2017 by wrongly labeling it as metal recycling.

Authorities discovered the waste after people complained of the stench from 111 abandoned containers in a port in Colombo, Sri Lanka's capital city, the news agency reported.

They are believed to contain mortuary waste, which include human organs that had been left unrefrigerated for the past two years.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sri-lanka-return-trash-britain-rotting-human-organs-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

maximus otter

Last edited:
Grim :(

as it's you, can I just say again that I'm not trying to dispose of anyone..... anything! anything! in particular :freak:

Here's a YouTube video of a 2001 programme from 2001.
It's about a company that does mass exhumations for clearing old graveyards before new building begins.
The London Necropolis Railway and Brookwood cemetery are mentioned.

I recorded this and watched it many times back in the day. :cool:

'Changing Tombs'.... great title!

If you live a normal life and operate within the law I don't think you have to worry about the actual disposal.

'Changing Tombs'.... great title!
Yup, at the time (as you'd guess) the TV show Changing Rooms was popular.
The one where people could troll their neighbours by ripping out all their beige carpets and cream blinds and replacing everything with badly-painted chipboard panels and silver foil instead of wallpaper, with sconces attached to the walls with Blu-Tak and some horrendous plastic chandeliers. :rollingw:

Mirthy are doing an online talk on Monday, The London No-One Tells You About, which mentions the Necropolis Railway.

Haven't done this previously but might sign up for it.

(I'd prefer to watch a video as we're out of practice for catching programmes at set times! :chuckle:)

The London No-One Tells You About

...is just that, the London no-one tells you about. The Necropolis Railway, the lost rivers, and why the Americans didn't own their embassy are just a few of the not-so-well-known details brought to life.

I love these guys, some may not, but this is quite good

Bit late on seeing this thread -my only personal connection with disposing of the dead was about three years ago when I was at a meeting of my overall department (working in local government) which was at that time called something like Cultural, Leisure & Environment (it varied continuously to the point where you had to look at the minutes of the last meeting to see who you were working for!) anyway one of the areas said department covered was cemeteries and burials and due to ill health absences it was announced that they needed a volunteer from another sub-department to cover burials at the local cemetery. My immediate thought was -there's a recipe for disaster- which was confirmed at the next meeting when they were asking for a volunteer to oversee an exhumation - yes you've guessed it-someone had buried a body in the wrong grave!

I rather like the idea of being freeze-dried, ( after of course all the serviceable bits have been donated for spares).. I’ve heard it’s experimental, but you do crumble down nicely, and it’s a fair bit greener than all that oven and burning palaver...

I rather like the idea of being freeze-dried, ( after of course all the serviceable bits have been donated for spares).. I’ve heard it’s experimental, but you do crumble down nicely, and it’s a fair bit greener than all that oven and burning palaver...
Promession. That was supposed to be starting up in my home town but the council bottled and built a new cemetery instead.
Now the cemetery in the next town along is full and residents are being told they'll have to be buried in our new one.
They are not pleased. Promession would have solved all that.

Promession. That was supposed to be starting up in my home town but the council bottled and built a new cemetery instead.
Now the cemetery in the next town along is full and residents are being told they'll have to be buried in our new one.
They are not pleased. Promession would have solved all that.
So glad the Council bottled it, it sounds a rubbish idea. I enjoy earning a living.

I sent off and got the papers to send my body in to be used for research at my local place, but they said they may not be able to take the body straight away (should hope not, I aint dead yet) so it would have to wait at the undertakers until they needed it, what?, i bet that would cost as much as the bloody funeral, bugger that, i will be burnt thank you.
Edit: Just to add, I am an organ donor, so they probably wouldn't take me any way.

Last edited:
I was planning on donating my organs and what was left to medical students to piss about with, but I was told it was one or the other.

Back