• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ultra-Localised Rain

kesavaross

Justified & Ancient
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a news item about a similar 2016 ultra-localized shower in Palermo.

UltraLocRain-Palermo.jpg
Extremely rare ultra-localised downpour falls in tiny part of an Italian road stunning pedestrians and drivers
  • Passersby look on as torrential rain falls in just one tiny patch of the road
  • The weather phenomenon is extremely rare, according to meteorologists
  • Camera pans up to show there is no building the water could be coming from
  • Filmed in Palermo, Sicily on Saturday night
By RACHAEL BURFORD FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 11:46 EDT, 22 September 2016

FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...talian-road-stunning-pedestrians-drivers.html

Here's a cursory report of ultra-localised rain falling on a single house in Indonesia in 2017.
This phenomenon seems to be best known from Indonesia during the monsoon season.
This is the strangest rain phenomenon that has ever happened in Indonesia, in the form of heavy rain which flushed only one house. This phenomenon occurred at Jalan Tebet Barat Dalam 1, No. 18, South Jakarta on August 28, 2017. Initially, the owner of the house was not aware that only his house was rained on, but when he saw children and people who were outside, he felt weird and decided to check it out. After he left the house turned out to be right, only his house was washed down with rain while the neighboring houses in the surrounding area were parched and left untouched by a single drop of rain. Many residents also flocked to witness this rare phenomenon. This strange phenomenon lasts for 6 hours non-stop many people associate this phenomenon with miracles from God and the act of UFOs. But in a scientific way, the BMKG cannot explain it, because this phenomenon is very rare.
SOURCE: http://en.misterifaktadanfenomena.com/2019/10/3-smallest-local-rain-phenomenon-in.html

I can imagine extremely localised cloud vortexes producing this, with short lived changes in air pressure in the vortex provoking a micro-cloudburst, but I'm no meteorologist.

I've personally seen and encountered small-scale downpours whose entire 'footprint' has been localized to less than a kilometer, similar to the one in this photo:

LocalizedRain-A.jpg

(Location / Photo source unknown)​

This August 2018 incident occurred in Madrid.

LocalizedRain-Madrid-2018.jpg
This extremely localised ‘rain shower' is making people question reality
31 August, 2018 10:39

A bizarre viral video of an extremely localised “rain shower” is causing something of an existential crisis for many on Twitter.

Taken on Madrid’s Calle Mayor, the footage appears to show water falling from the sky on a small area of the street from above – despite there being no rain clouds in sight and no visually obvious terrestrial source. ...

“Today we have experienced an error in the simulation in which we live, it’s been raining in only part of the street,” cameraman David Garcia-Tenorio wrote on Twitter.

The 21-year-old student told the Press Association: “I wouldn’t know how to explain it, the water didn’t seem to be coming from any building as it was falling from a great height.” ...
https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/...er-is-making-people-question-reality-1421663/

On the other hand ... This sort of phenomenon has been falsely attributed to images that don't really illustrate a tightly-circumscribed downpour. Here's an example ...
LocalizedRain-Ghana-Hoax.jpg
Rain Falling On One Spot, Video: Fact Check

An interesting video in circulation online since few years purports to show Rain Falling On One Spot in Ghana, as a Miracle of God. The video appears to show heavy rain that falls in one place, beside a road busy with some ongoing vehicles. The viral video is shared widely on YouTube and social media sites like Facebook. However, it does not actually show rain falling on one spot. ...

Not Rain Falling On One Spot
Some users on social media thought the video showing rain falling on one spot is a miracle of nature, from the God of Rain. Others however suggested it was a natural Geyser. A close examination of the video shall reveal what you see in the video is not rainfall, but water spouting up from below and falling down again. It is in fact the result of a burst water pipe in Akosombo Road of Ghana, gushing out millions of gallons. ...
FULL STORY: http://www.hoaxorfact.com/science/rain-falling-on-one-spot-video.html

Here's a different localized rain hoax debunked at Snopes.

LocalizedRain-Togo-2016-Hoax.jpg
‘Rain Falling in One Spot’

On 20 May 2016, the video shown above, purportedly capturing “rain falling in one place” in Togo was posted to YouTube. However, what was depicted in the video did not occur “this morning” (i.e., 20 May 2016), nor did it take place in Togo. The video has been circulating online since at least June 2015, when it was shared under the title “Sources of water, water sources of well digging.” While that version of the video did not include mention of a location, other postings of it have placed the incident in Indonesia, China, and Vietnam.

This video also doesn’t show “rain falling in one place.” In fact, it doesn’t show rain at all. The water in the video is coming up from the ground (not down from the sky), either from a natural geyser or a burst pipe.

The water spurt displayed in this video appears as if it were coming from the sky largely because its peak is hidden by tree branches or is simply out of frame. When the peak is in view, the color of the water and the sky are too similar to easily distinguish one from the other. However, a careful examination of this footage shows that the water clearly originates from the ground and not the sky.

The first clue is that a central water column can be periodically glimpsed throughout the video. The water is erupting from a hole in the ground and then falling back to the ground ...
FULL STORY: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/togo-rain-mystery-video/
(The Snopes article includes an uncropped animation that clearly demonstrates the water is shooting out of the ground.)

Years ago, I walked along the road near home... and noticed that after rainfall, one side of the road was wet and the other side was dry.
I stood there for a minute or so, taking it all in.

My primary school had a long hall with windows on both short ends, and at lunch once it started raining, but only on one end of the hall; the other end (the hall was about 10m long, IIRC) was completely dry.

Unfortunately, we couldn't go outside and look because we hadn't finished our lunches :mad: Thanks a lot, Mrs Stilwell, you old hag :mad: (She was the supervisor who was always telling me to stop reading and go outside and play, which is unforgiveable behaviour IMHO, especially for someone working in a school. And, if you were being picked on, she'd just tell you to 'stay away from them'. Helpful when your school playground is the size of a handkerchief.)

I experienced this about 25 years ago in the exotic west midlands!
Playing tennis with a mate on a clay court, his side of the net it was hammering down with rain as heavy as i have ever seen.
My side, bone dry and sunny, lasted about 2 minutes. The surrounding courts were also dry.

We've seen this when out on bike rides. It'd look a bit showery in the distance and then we'd see rain falling in front of us.
We'd carry on riding and go through the shower, and stop to look back at it. There really was an edge to the rainfall as if we were looking at a window.

Not rain but deep fog. We were walking through a woodland on a hill, then came to a clearing in the fog. It was about a metre wide and extended length wise as far as we could see. The fog on either side was like walls and we could see the blue skies above. I assume there was some block or preferentially heated area, and the fog had drifted down retaining that open area

Back