• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews

'Fundies'. :lol:

Lighting candles is not very weird - lots of people do it. Seems to me that Aberystwyth Uni is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Ban on candles 'has cost seaside town £100K' as Hasidic Jews go elsewhere
A Welsh holiday town has lost out on over £100,000 from Jewish tourists, who have gone elsewhere after a health and safety ban on lit candles, it was claimed.
By Rosa Silverman
11:00AM BST 08 Aug 2013

For 20 years, more than a thousand Hasidic Jews have taken their summer break in the seaside resort of Aberystwyth, where they rented student village accommodation for two weeks.

But Aberystwyth University said this year that lit candles were banned in the houses on health and safety grounds following “more than one incident” involving the group.
As lighting candles is part of the weekly Shabbat tradition in the Jewish religion, most of the holidaymakers are now taking their break at other destinations with university accommodation.

Myer Rothfeld, a senior member of the Hasidic community, told the Cambrian News: “The people of this area are very respectful and we hold them in great esteem and love coming here.
“We’ve tried everything possible to get round it, offering to supply our own fire insurance, to use lanterns or even to put the candles on sand, but they keep saying ‘no’.

“It’s once a week for two hours and we’ve had one incident in 20 years, while the fire service are called out hundreds of times each year to halls for incidents or false alarms.
“The university and the town will have lost out on over £100,000 from us not being able to come now.”

The university has said that the use of candles and naked flames in all its residences is prohibited, a rule that is set out in the terms and conditions all visitors must sign and abide to during their stay.

A spokesman said: “The university maintains its position that we would be delighted to welcome the Orthodox Jewish community to Aberystwyth for their holiday visit.
“Alternative options continue to be considered by both parties in a productive and positive manner.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... where.html

I've noticed orthodox Jewish groups at our university for the last two or three summers. I always assumed they were there for some religious conference - the thought that they were just on holiday didn't cross my mind till I saw this!

Ultra-Orthodox Jews cause chaos on flight to Israel
Flight delayed for hours because of demand to segregate men and women
By David Millward, US Correspondent
4:29PM BST 25 Sep 2014

An El-Al flight from New York to Tel Aviv was turned into an “11-hour nightmare” after hundreds of ultra-Orthodox Jewish passengers refused to sit next to women.
According to those on board the flight descended into chaos because of their demands.

The flight was full with Israelis, secular, orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Jews – known as Haredim – flying home to celebrate Rosh Hashanah.
Even though the passengers had been pre-assigned seats before boarding, the ultra-Orthodox Jews refused to accept the arrangements because their beliefs required that men and women were segregated.

As the aircraft prepared to take off, the haredi men, distinguishable by their black suits and in many cases wide-brimmed black hats, stood in the aisles rather than sit down, delaying the departure.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... srael.html

The holiday making orthodox jews were back at the Penryn Uni campus again this summer. I saw one large family (about seven kids) trying to get to Maenporth beach, but the bus doesn't go all the way any more, so they were left with a 10 minute walk. I hope they'd checked the return times...

On a flight some years ago, an acquaintance of mine found herself assigned to an economy class seat beside an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man who made his displeasure at this arrangement known to one of the flight attendants. The acquaintance offered to change seats on the condition that the airline provide her with a free upgrade to business class. The airline promptly obliged.

An ultra-Orthodox Jewish man has lunged into a group of revelers leading Jerusalem's annual gay pride parade and stabbed six of them as they marched in the city, Israeli police and witnesses said.

The alleged attacker, Yishai Schlissel, had recently been released from prison after serving a term for stabbing several people at a gay pride parade in 2005, police spokeswoman Luba Samri said, adding that he was arrested at the scene of Thursday's attack.

Eli Bin of Israel's emergency service said six young people were wounded in the attack, two of them seriously.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/man-stabbing-spree-jerusalem-gay-parade-150730181726040.html

An ultra-Orthodox Jewish man has lunged into a group of revelers leading Jerusalem's annual gay pride parade and stabbed six of them as they marched in the city, Israeli police and witnesses said.

The alleged attacker, Yishai Schlissel, had recently been released from prison after serving a term for stabbing several people at a gay pride parade in 2005, police spokeswoman Luba Samri said, adding that he was arrested at the scene of Thursday's attack.

Eli Bin of Israel's emergency service said six young people were wounded in the attack, two of them seriously.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/man-stabbing-spree-jerusalem-gay-parade-150730181726040.html

Fuck'n 'ell. Well at least he's consistent.

They don't like to sit next to women I guess

An uncomfortable moment between passengers aboard a New Jersey-to-Toronto flight has renewed the debate over reasonable accommodation and the balance between competing rights.

Former Halifax chef Christine Flynn said a flight attendant asked if she would move when an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man refused to sit next to her aboard Porter Airlines Flight 121 on Monday. She declined, uncomfortable with the other passenger’s manner, she said......

(con't at)
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...tra-orthodox-jew-refuses-to-sit-next-to-woman

I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want a religious nutter to sit next to me.

I just had an alert saying my post on 'Ultra-Orthodox Jews who jaywalk' has been moved to this thread... 'Ultra-orthodox Jews''. I protest at this munge as they are clearly different categories and if we take the numerous cryptozoology threads as an example of how over-categorised things can get, there are numerous things that Ultra-Orthodox Jews can get up to...or indeed things could happen to them. We definitely need at least 27 different sub threads on unorthodox Orthodox Jewish action or we don't bother at all.

I just had an alert saying my post on 'Ultra-Orthodox Jews who jaywalk' has been moved to this thread... 'Ultra-orthodox Jews''. I protest at this munge as they are clearly different categories and if we take the numerous cryptozoology threads as an example of how over-categorised things can get, there are numerous things that Ultra-Orthodox Jews can get up to...or indeed things could happen to them. We definitely need at least 27 different sub threads on unorthodox Orthodox Jewish action or we don't bother at all.

I try to tidy up the CZ threads. Time for another culling.

But surely Ultra-Orthodox Jews who jaywalk is an ENTIRELY different subject to Ultra-Orthodox Jews?
Not if their Jay-walking is part of their belief system as ultra-orthodox jews.

This time of year we get a lot of them down here on holiday. They stay on the Uni campus while the students are away. Can't say I've seen any Jaywalking, however, but I mostly notice them when they catch a bus. Father and mother, and a large young family...

Not if their Jay-walking is part of their belief system as ultra-orthodox jews.

This time of year we get a lot of them down here on holiday. They stay on the Uni campus while the students are away. Can't say I've seen any Jaywalking, however, but I mostly notice them when they catch a bus. Father and mother, and a large young family...

They are out-breeding Secular Jews in Israel.

My secret life as a gay ultra-Orthodox Jew

Chaya, not her real name, is an ultra-Orthodox Jewish woman who is gay. Here she describes her struggle to accept her sexuality, and why she has to keep it a secret from those who would make her choose between her identity and her family.

I would lose everything if I came out. We are a tightly knit community and I think few people realise just how isolated we are. In the world I live in, being gay is the equivalent of being a bad person. It's seen as an evil desire that is completely unnatural.

Soon after, my parents began to arrange a marriage for me. There is often a matchmaker involved in problem cases like mine
People I have grown up with would wonder what else I could be capable of. Few would believe that I could still be religious and if I did eventually leave the Haredi community it would mean losing my job, my home and potentially my children.

It's just easier for everyone to pretend that there is nothing different about me. In fact, most people prefer to act as though homosexuality does not exist. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35978328?ocid=socialflow_twitter

An Israeli court has convicted an ultra-orthodox Jew of murder over the stabbing to death of a 16-year-old girl at Jerusalem's Gay Pride parade last year.

Yishai Schlissel was also convicted of six counts of attempted murder.

He managed to infiltrate the parade three weeks after completing a 10-year sentence for a similar attack in 2005.

The court said the fact that the police had known about Schlissel and not stopped him was unconscionable.

Shortly after his release, he had lashed out at homosexuality in interviews and said the march needed to be stopped.

In anti-gay pamphlets, he asked Jews to "risk beatings or imprisonment" to act against the event.

He stabbed six people during the march in Jerusalem's city centre before being arrested. Shira Banki, 16, later died in hospital. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36081114

An ultra-orthodox Jewish leader has reportedly banned girls aged five and older in some areas of Israel from riding bicycles - claiming it is “immodest”.

The rabbi of the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Nahloat distributed the stringent decree to his followers in synagogues across the area.

He had said young girls riding bicycles could “cause serious damage to their modesty” and that bicycle seats caused young girls to sit in a way men found “provocative”, according to the Arutz Sheva 7 website.

READ MORE
The ruling said: “We inform parents that they are obligated to forbid their daughters from age five and up from acting in this illegitimate way.” ...

http://linkis.com/independent.co.uk/gYiyD

An ultra-orthodox Jewish leader has reportedly banned girls aged five and older in some areas of Israel from riding bicycles - claiming it is “immodest”.

The rabbi of the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Nahloat distributed the stringent decree to his followers in synagogues across the area.

He had said young girls riding bicycles could “cause serious damage to their modesty” and that bicycle seats caused young girls to sit in a way men found “provocative”, according to the Arutz Sheva 7 website.

READ MORE
The ruling said: “We inform parents that they are obligated to forbid their daughters from age five and up from acting in this illegitimate way.” ...

http://linkis.com/independent.co.uk/gYiyD
How I read that: Ultra-orthodox leader says his followers find five year olds sexually attractive.

Mayer Herskovic found guilty in brutal Brooklyn gang beating of gay black man

Witnesses said at least 20 Orthodox men tied to a Jewish security patrol attacked Patterson as he was walking home to Fort Greene from a friend’s birthday party.

The men kicked, punched and dragged Patterson, and threw one of his shoes on a nearby roof.

The shoe wound up doing Herskovic in — his DNA was found on the heel of Patterson’s Nike Air Jordan sneaker.

Patterson, 25, underwent three surgeries after the attack and is now permanently blind in his right eye.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ting-found-guilty-article-1.2803721?cid=bitly

Women told not to walk on main road in ultra-Orthodox Jerusalem town
Females in Mea Sharim urged to use side streets and to minimise their visits to the neighbourhood
  • Sunday 16 October 2016
blank.gif

Posters in an ultra-Orthodox Jerusalem neighbourhood have reportedly asked women to avoid the main street during the intermediate days of the religious holiday of Sukkot.

The posters in the town of Mea Sharim, one of the oldest Jewish neighbourhoods in Jerusalem, advise women to use side streets and to minimise their visits to the area.

A High Court of Justice banned the use of partitions on public streets six years ago but those behind the posters remain keen to ensure separation during Sukkot, a seven-day religious festivity also known as the “Feast of Tabernacles”.

"And a special request to the women – residents of the area as well as passers-by – try to minimise as much as possible crossings of the main street of Mea Shearim in Chol Hamoed night times," the posters say, according to Ynet News.

"Only go through side streets, and in general minimse visits in the (Mea Shearim) neighbourhood in those hours,"

Hiddush, an organisation that campaigns for religious freedom and equality, sent an inquiry to Jerusalem municipality’s legal council.

"It cannot be that in the main street of a city, even in an ultra-Orthodox neighbourhood, women will find themselves outcast from the public square," said Hiddush CEO Rabbi Uri Regev, Ynet News reported.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...holiday-sukkot-jerusalem-israel-a7364096.html

Good grief, more ludicrous religious pronouncements.

Does anyone know why these nutters think it's OK for women to use side streets but not a main road? What's the basis for this idiocy? Tough shit if you're female & live on main st - just fuck off for 7 days.

Old news, but still worth a read . . .

51XdbNaY-xL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hip hip hurrah for religious tolerance, but you wouldn't want these folks as neighbors.

I think it is because the celebrations will be on main street.

Good grief, more ludicrous religious pronouncements.

Does anyone know why these nutters think it's OK for women to use side streets but not a main road? What's the basis for this idiocy? Tough shit if you're female & live on main st - just fuck off for 7 days.

Almost certainly because that's when men will be wanting to be there.

The number of ultra-Orthodox Jewish schools believed to be operating illegally in the east London borough Hackney now outstrips those which are legal, the council has suggested for the first time.

The admission by a senior education official at a furious council meeting on Wednesday night has intensified concerns for the safety and welfare of hundreds of children who are being taught in often isolated conditions with little contact for the secular world

Andrew Lee, Assistant Director of Education Services at Hackney's education authority the Hackney Learning Trust, said his team had now identified “possibly 35” unregistered ultra-Orthodox schools in the borough, compared with 33 that are legal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...legal-jewish-schools-in-borough-a7422526.html

These guys should have been thrown off the plane.

A leading Israeli tech company has stopped flying with the national carrier El Al after the airline moved women from their seats because ultra-Orthodox passengers refused to sit next to them.

The incident occurred last week on a flight from New York to Tel Aviv which was delayed for over an hour when the ultra-Orthodox men, called haredim in Hebrew, boarded just before take-off and refused to sit in their allotted seats next to female passengers.

A Facebook post by Chen Rotem, a passenger on the flight, went viral. He said the four men wouldn’t even look at or speak to female flight attendants who tried to intervene. Stewards then approached passengers row by row, asking them to switch seats.

“After a lot of yelling and manoeuvering an elderly American woman and a young Israeli woman agreed to switch seats, allowing the flight to finally take off,” he wrote.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...ts-due-to-ultra-orthodox-passengers-1.3544777

Back